Country Meadows Retirement Communities

Country Meadows Retirement Communities Employee Reviews

productive and fun place to work
Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) (Former Employee), Mechanicsburg, PAApril 23, 2015
nice place to work I miss my job. wonderful benefits. I recommend everyone to join country meadows team.dependable, kind, sympathetic, and respectful, and otherwise demonstrate good judgment

May 18, 2015

Thank you for your kind words and for being part of our family.

CYA
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee), Bethlehem, PAApril 9, 2015
Pros: Easy to get hired. Supervisor Experience.
Cons: No time for breaks, lacks leadership from Nursing DOW, No nursing skills developed-they out source every nursing skill except assessment.
I regret I didn't run from Country Meadows right when they forced our ADOW to resign. DOW shows favorism does not do what is required or needed in supporting all units. DOW lacks integrity and blames staff for shortfalls. No management -unavailable for months at a time. Country Meadows will not hesitate to ask you to work early or late, switch shifts etc. but will not work with their employees to further their education. As a nurse, don't risk your license working here. At first you may buy into their philosophy......but unfortunately its an act. Behind those smiling faces are callous, self-centered, and incompetent employees. The only thing Country Meadows has going for it is that looks like a hotel for the elderly, you are surrounded by lovely decor. But don't stay to long they will not hesitate to throw you under the bus. I loved my residents that I cared for, that's the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Country Meadows needs a wake up call. Do you really want to be the best or just pretend you are?

April 21, 2015

Caring for our elders is a very tough job, but we think it is one of the most rewarding. A challenging job should never be made more difficult by our co-workers. Sometimes we don’t understand decisions made at the senior management level; especially when those decisions affect co-workers who have become friends. Country Meadows has a Human Resources team who investigates every single co-worker situation, and in every case, a thorough and fair investigation is completed before any decision is reached. Your note implies some serious, and concerning, allegations toward a current co-worker. So that we can look into the situation, please contact our Human Resources department at the Home Office or, if you are more comfortable, call our 100% anonymous co-worker hotline. This hotline is managed by an outside company so all calls are completely confidential. Country Meadows is proud to be one of the best employers, and has been voted to the prestigious 100 Best Places to Work in Pennsylvania list numerous times. In fact, our most recent ranking, #13, is the highest we’ve ever placed. What makes this honor particularly special is that the information gathered for the survey is done by a third-party organization using anonymous surveys with our current co-workers. There is no way for our organization to influence the outcome, and we believe this inclusion speaks volumes about our positive co-worker culture. Country Meadows values good co-workers and invests in their careers by offering many opportunities for advancement. We are proud to have many co-workers at all our locations that have advanced into positions with increased responsibility and pay. Our organization offers free “Career Paths” training for most positions to our motivated co-workers. Country Meadows also offers tuition reimbursement to eligible co-workers. We’re proud of our co-workers who have completed these ladders and have many success stories to share.

god place to work
Personal Care Associate (Former Employee), Frederick, MDMarch 9, 2015
Country meadows is a really good place to work. the residents are lovely and most coworkers are pleasant. management is also great.

March 23, 2015

Thank you very much for your kind words. We are always thrilled to read about co-workers who enjoyed their time with Country Meadows. Best of luck to you as move along in your career.

Loved the actual job. Just not the co-workers
Dietary Cook Associate (Former Employee), Wyomissing, PAFebruary 25, 2015
Breakfast and lunch cook.
Salad prep.
As much as I loved the job, the management and co-workers were terrible. i really have nothing nice to say bout the environment I had to work in.

March 23, 2015

Getting to know our residents does make the job a fun and fulfilling career. However, sometimes personalities can affect our overall happiness on-the-job. We would love the chance to address the issues you had so that other co-workers do not have similar experiences, and, maybe, you will come back to our family. Please call our Compliance Hotline which is 100% anonymous, or call our Human Resources team at the Home Office so we can look into this situation. Thank you for your service. We look forward to hearing from you.

good for home care
Home Care Associate (Current Employee), York, PAFebruary 23, 2015
depends on the day and no co workers and the hardest part is when there is lifting and the enjoyable part is helping the residents

March 23, 2015

We agree: our residents can brighten anyone’s day! Thank you for choosing to work with our team.

Loved being a advocate for those in need.
Connections Coordinator (Former Employee), Carlise PAFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: residents feeling needed
Cons: residents passing away
Residents stopped in to talk spent time with families . I was amazed how little families visited their loved ones. Management worked together for the well being of the residents. Most co-workers were very close to residents and families. Having residents pass away was always very hard on staff . It was always nice to see residents involved in activities.

February 9, 2015

Thank you for caring for our residents. Working with seniors is very rewarding but has its challenges, especially when you are caring for those with dementia. I’m glad you were part of a strong team who worked to help residents stay involved and enjoy life. Best of luck to you, and thank you for sharing your time and talents with Country Meadows.

Family Oriented
PCA2/ medication technican (Former Employee), York, PAFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: constant change although for the better, not always the easiest.
Great company to move up in. Always changing, always learning new residents. Willing to train you if you put in the time. Very flexible if need help.

February 9, 2015

Thank you for your note. Change is hard and today, as you know well, the senior care field continues to change rapidly. We’re very proud of our co-workers who care for residents coming to us with higher medical needs, and our leadership team is constantly working on projects to respond to these needs without making jobs more difficult. At the end of the day, the best part of the job is the residents. We truly appreciate your being part of our family. Best of luck to you.

Not the worst, but certainly not the best
Medication Associate (Former Employee), York, PAJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: some really kind caring compassionate co-workers. wonderful, dignified, extraordinary residents.
Cons: pay, paid time off, overworkerd, understaffed, poor attitudes from corporate, a lot of talk not a lof of action.
Typical day is the very same as the day before. Some random excitement when a resident attacks.
I learned that this company says alot about caring for its residents and employees but money is the bottom line.
The average salary is extremely low unless you are executive director or work at home office. No full-time even if you are "full-time".
Being named as one of the Best Places to work (which they pay for) sets the bar pretty high and they don't even deserve an average rating.
It's an okay place to work if you have no other options.
Care that we provide our residents is hit or miss and it is sad that some get great care while others don't get the care they deserve or pay for.
I feel Country Meadows has the potential to be a very nice place to work however there are some changes to be made to get it there.
Here are some of the following suggestions:
More full-time positions offered.
Start employees at a living wage.
Offer more flexible schedules.
Increase overall staffing to care for residents.
Don't spend all your money on the interior (example $500 fake plant center pieces).
Don't require ever other weekend (one weekend a month). Allow more time off around holidays.
Give awards to everyone, please stop the random drawings for one person out of 300 to win an ipod. Silly and not effective for employee morale.
Managers should be on the floor at least once a day including Executive Directors.
Offer shift differential.
Offer better benefits, not really high deductibles when you only pay full time employees $15,000 a year (this is poverty)
Fire fairly, hire fairly, promote fairly.
I think it is a lost company acting like it has direction and paying for the facade. Some good people work here but it needs to have some structural changes and pay its employees for the work it demands and the work they provide, willingly.

February 9, 2015

We’re thrilled that for the 11th time, Country Meadows was chosen as one of the Best Places to Work in Pennsylvania. While companies do pay to enter this prestigious competition, results and rankings are determined based on co-worker feedback gathered directly by the Best Places to Work Foundation. In fact, we ranked our highest in 2014, coming in as the 13th Best Place to Work. Our team keeps a pulse on the current wages offered in the senior care industry and works hard to compensate co-workers fairly. Additionally, Country Meadows utilizes a system to offer incentives to co-workers who go above and beyond expectations consistently. For co-workers who want to advance their knowledge and skills, we offer free Career Paths and training programs, and believe that hard work should be rewarded. We’re proud of our co-workers who have completed these ladders and have many success stories to share. Best of luck to you.

Nice and pleasant atmosphere
Social/Activities Director for Independent Living (Former Employee), York, PAJanuary 7, 2015
As a Social Director for Country Meadows, a typical day with the independent senior citizen residents was spent leading exercise class, playing games, taking on shopping outings or shows, assisting when a resident needed help getting to/from locations.
Learned a lot of valuable life lessons from the seniors.
Management seems to turnover often unfortunately.
Hardest part of this position was dealing with the death of a resident to which I became close to. Being in a home, this reoccurs often. A person needs to be strong and not let themselves get too close.
Most enjoyable part.... what part of exercising, playing games, going to lunch and show isn't enjoyable!

February 9, 2015

Thank you so much for this lovely note. Our co-workers are blessed to have the opportunity to get to know our residents and build relationships with them. Many times residents become our unrelated grandparents! You are right: It is very, very difficult when we lose these friends, but it can be rewarding to know that we helped make their last days more comfortable, feeling more loved. We’ve all learned valuable life lessons and cherish the memories. Thank you for making life more enjoyable for our residents. Best of luck to you in your future career.

HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK
Director of Dining Services (Former Employee), Allentown PAJanuary 1, 2015
This was one of my worst jobs ever. The executive director of the building was in it for herself, the HR Director had zero people and listening skills and everybody tried to put everyone under the bus. I would not recommend this company to my enemy. They say during the interview that Country Meadows was awarded as "One of the top 100 Places to Work" I don't think so

January 14, 2015

Thank you for your note. Country Meadows Retirement Communities is proud to have been named one of the Best Places to Work in Pennsylvania more than 10 times. In addition, our communities in the Lehigh Valley have been voted as a Top Work Place in the Morning Call newspaper’s list of best employers, and Best of the Valley in Lehigh Valley Magazine. We’re very sorry you feel you didn’t have a good experience. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Eh!
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Bridgeville, PADecember 25, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: pay rate (low)and my supervisor (needs to shut up and listen!)
Learned a lot about working with the elderly but it just wasn't for me. Wanted the job to work out because of the benefits but it drained me both physically and mentally. Had a personal problem come up in my life and I couldn't even handle it with grace because I was so drained. I found a job cleaning and I make $2 more per hour with almost 0 (zero) stress. It doesn't have the benefits but I don't really care...I'm not drained after work. It takes a special kind of person to do the job. If you have a knack with the elderly it could be a rewarding job. But not for me...I don't miss it one bit.

January 14, 2015

You are 100% correct: It DOES take a special person to work with our seniors. But it comes with such tremendous rewards that outweigh the challenges. Country Meadows thanks our co-workers for their dedication to our residents by offering them a rich benefits package, and we work hard to pay more than most in our industry. We’re very sorry Country Meadows wasn’t a good fit for you. It sounds like you found a position that works better for your situation. Thank you for your time with Country Meadows and best of luck to you.

Poor management, low pay
Med Tech (Current Employee), Bridgeville, PADecember 21, 2014
Pros: double pay on holidays
Cons: low compensation
A typical day starts out very fast paced and frequently short staffed. Never have seen so much turn over and coworker call-offs.I learned a lot about aging and dementia. The management seems to be oblivious to the fact that there is little respect for them from the people they manage. This is due to the fact that they have no qualms about piling on the workload, and avoid pitching in at all costs. They will call you on your day off, ask you to stay longer, come in earlier, work a ton of overtime just so they don't have to cover short staffing issues.If the compensation were adequate, they would be able to hire quality people and keep them.A typical day also includes picking up the slack from lazy/irresponsible coworkers who get away with being that way because the management worries over how the turnover reflects on them.It is a mess.The hardest part of the job is not having any time to spend with the residents. The best part is the $2.00 meal, but rarely is there a time that one gets to eat it without interruption. They pretend to encourage breaks but do not hesitate to have you work during yours.

January 14, 2015

Working in health care is very challenging and it takes a very special person to care for others. Thank you for being one of these people. In our industry turnover is very, very high and Country Meadows works hard to hire the best people and retain good co-workers. We conduct yearly surveys to measure employee satisfaction, and we work hard to provide a generous benefits package and pay more than most in our field. Your comments about management and staffing issues are concerning and we strongly encourage you to either call our Compliance Hotline which is 100% anonymous, or call our Human Resources team at the Home Office so we can look into this situation. Thank you for your service. We look forward to hearing from you.

Management top heavy, low wages
Medication Associate (Current Employee), Bridgeville, PADecember 15, 2014
Pros: double pay on holidays
Cons: not enough time to do everything asked of you
Any co-worker lower than management is low paid. There are so many "management" that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. A typical day either starts early or ends late since the rate of call offs is very high, and the "management" will do anything in order to avoid filling in the gaps. Just about every day off means a call from Country Meadows, asking for you to come in. They are always short staffed because no one stays. Turn over is extremely high. Many of the "managers" are not well viewed by the co-workers, but despite this things just stay the same.
No way is this one of "the best places to work".
The most enjoyable part of the job is the $2.00 meal, which is actually pretty good if you can manage to get through it uninterrupted. They encourage breaks, but do not hesitate to call you to do things during your whopping 1/2 hour.
The hardest part is carrying someone else's work load. They let the slackers get away with slacking because their turn over looks bad. Instead, they come up with ways to punish the masses trying to fix issues that arise from this very situation.

March 23, 2015

Your observations are very concerning. Please share these concerns via our 100% confidential Compliance Hotline at 888.470.3376. Situations such as this one are the reason we created this confidential way for co-workers to share issues with our executive team. Situations are investigated to result in the best possible outcome for our co-workers. Working in health care is very challenging and it takes a very special person to care for others. Thank you for being one of these people. We look forward to hearing from you.

THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU APPLY FOR EMPLOYMENT
PCA (Former Employee), MECHANICSBURG PADecember 12, 2014
Pros: weekends off
Cons: no advancement
LACK OF STAFFS - ALWAYS
POOR MANAGEMENT
NO PROMOTION/ADVANCEMENT
REQUIRE PCA TO COMPLETE DUTIES OF LPN.

January 14, 2015

Country Meadows tries our best to staff well, and actually staff at a higher ratio than required by the state. But sometimes issues arise with co-workers not doing their part, and we do try to identify and improve those situations. Good co-workers have many opportunities for advancement, and Country Meadows is proud to have many co-workers at all our locations who have advanced into positions with increased responsibility and pay. Our organization offers “Career Paths” training for most positions that are free to our motivated co-workers. We’re proud of our co-workers who have completed these ladders and have many success stories to share. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Productive working environment countinues training thourghout the year.
Personal Care Assistant (PCA)/ Mentor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 21, 2014
My typical work experience at Country Meadows included learning how to deal with non verbal and verbal residents with Dementia. Finding creative ways to help the resident in their day to day living experience to make their stay as comfortable as possible. Working with my Country Meadows coworkers was a wonderful experience everyone worked together and was willing to assist each other with help whether it was assisting with a resident transfer to wheelchair or simply helping out with an upset resident. The hardest part of my job is becoming close to the residents and they move on to be with the Lord. The most enjoyable part of my job is making difference in the residents lives supporting them in their time of need.

December 2, 2014

Thank you for your absolutely beautiful sentiments. Obviously you love seniors. Every time Country Meadows conducts a co-worker survey, an overwhelming response is that working with residents is the best part of the job. You are right; while it can be difficult losing a beloved resident/friend, those relationships are priceless. We are so very glad you are sharing your compassionate nature with Country Meadows. Our residents are very lucky. And so are we.

A nice place to work
Home Health Aide (Former Employee), York, PANovember 6, 2014
Pros: an atmosphere of respect
Cons: strange working hours, working some weekends and holidays.
Country Meadows was a very desirable place to work. My supervisors were wonderful and supportive, and for the most part, my clients were delightful. They were so appreciative of everything I did for them.

December 2, 2014

Thank you for your service and your kind words. We wish you the best in your career, and hope that you continue to share your caring nature with seniors.

I loved being part of the team
Med Tech/EMT (Former Employee), York, PAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: rewarding
very nice place to work. Really care about their employees.

December 2, 2014

Thank you for sharing your time and talents with our residents. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Nive place to work
Cook (Former Employee), HersheyOctober 15, 2014
Pros: enjoyed serving the residents
Cons: no room for growth
I would open the kitchen. I would prepare breakfast and lunch for the residents. Also help with the prep for the following day and for the dinner that evening. I would prepare the salad bar and dessert carts for lunch and dinner. I would also make desserts to be used the next day. I was also capable of writing the schedule and placing the weekly orders.

December 2, 2014

Thank you for your service, and for helping prepare delicious meals for our residents. Best of luck to you.

Love the residents.
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee), Lancaster, PAOctober 9, 2014
Help residents to the restrooms. Get them ready for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And wash them up before bedtime.

December 2, 2014

We love the residents too. Thank you for sharing your compassion with them and for being part of our team.

I enjoy my residents and my supervisor is wonderful.
Front desk (Current Employee), Bethlehem, PAAugust 8, 2014
I have been with the company for five years. It has its ups and downs, but overall, I'm happy.

December 2, 2014

Thank you for your note, and for building relationships with residents.

1 2 3 4 5

About Country Meadows Retirement Communities

Country Meadows is a great place to work. Country Meadows takes great pride in the fact that our co-workers are known for being – Read more

Country Meadows Retirement Communities Salaries