Country Meadows Retirement Communities

Country Meadows Retirement Communities Employer Reviews

Nice and pleasant atmosphere
Social/Activities Director for Independent Living (Former Employee), York, PAJanuary 7, 2015
As a Social Director for Country Meadows, a typical day with the independent senior citizen residents was spent leading exercise class, playing games, taking on shopping outings or shows, assisting when a resident needed help getting to/from locations.
Learned a lot of valuable life lessons from the seniors.
Management seems to turnover often unfortunately.
Hardest part of this position was dealing with the death of a resident to which I became close to. Being in a home, this reoccurs often. A person needs to be strong and not let themselves get too close.
Most enjoyable part.... what part of exercising, playing games, going to lunch and show isn't enjoyable!
HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK
Director of Dining Services (Former Employee), Allentown PAJanuary 1, 2015
This was one of my worst jobs ever. The executive director of the building was in it for herself, the HR Director had zero people and listening skills and everybody tried to put everyone under the bus. I would not recommend this company to my enemy. They say during the interview that Country Meadows was awarded as "One of the top 100 Places to Work" I don't think so

January 14, 2015

Thank you for your note. Country Meadows Retirement Communities is proud to have been named one of the Best Places to Work in Pennsylvania more than 10 times. In addition, our communities in the Lehigh Valley have been voted as a Top Work Place in the Morning Call newspaper’s list of best employers, and Best of the Valley in Lehigh Valley Magazine. We’re very sorry you feel you didn’t have a good experience. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Eh!
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Bridgeville, PADecember 25, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: pay rate (low)and my supervisor (needs to shut up and listen!)
Learned a lot about working with the elderly but it just wasn't for me. Wanted the job to work out because of the benefits but it drained me both physically and mentally. Had a personal problem come up in my life and I couldn't even handle it with grace because I was so drained. I found a job cleaning and I make $2 more per hour with almost 0 (zero) stress. It doesn't have the benefits but I don't really care...I'm not drained after work. It takes a special kind of person to do the job. If you have a knack with the elderly it could be a rewarding job. But not for me...I don't miss it one bit.

January 14, 2015

You are 100% correct: It DOES take a special person to work with our seniors. But it comes with such tremendous rewards that outweigh the challenges. Country Meadows thanks our co-workers for their dedication to our residents by offering them a rich benefits package, and we work hard to pay more than most in our industry. We’re very sorry Country Meadows wasn’t a good fit for you. It sounds like you found a position that works better for your situation. Thank you for your time with Country Meadows and best of luck to you.

Poor management, low pay
Med Tech (Current Employee), Bridgeville, PADecember 21, 2014
Pros: double pay on holidays
Cons: low compensation
A typical day starts out very fast paced and frequently short staffed. Never have seen so much turn over and coworker call-offs.I learned a lot about aging and dementia. The management seems to be oblivious to the fact that there is little respect for them from the people they manage. This is due to the fact that they have no qualms about piling on the workload, and avoid pitching in at all costs. They will call you on your day off, ask you to stay longer, come in earlier, work a ton of overtime just so they don't have to cover short staffing issues.If the compensation were adequate, they would be able to hire quality people and keep them.A typical day also includes picking up the slack from lazy/irresponsible coworkers who get away with being that way because the management worries over how the turnover reflects on them.It is a mess.The hardest part of the job is not having any time to spend with the residents. The best part is the $2.00 meal, but rarely is there a time that one gets to eat it without interruption. They pretend to encourage breaks but do not hesitate to have you work during yours.

January 14, 2015

Working in health care is very challenging and it takes a very special person to care for others. Thank you for being one of these people. In our industry turnover is very, very high and Country Meadows works hard to hire the best people and retain good co-workers. We conduct yearly surveys to measure employee satisfaction, and we work hard to provide a generous benefits package and pay more than most in our field. Your comments about management and staffing issues are concerning and we strongly encourage you to either call our Compliance Hotline which is 100% anonymous, or call our Human Resources team at the Home Office so we can look into this situation. Thank you for your service. We look forward to hearing from you.

Management top heavy, low wages
Medication Associate (Current Employee), Bridgeville, PADecember 15, 2014
Pros: double pay on holidays
Cons: not enough time to do everything asked of you
Any co-worker lower than management is low paid. There are so many "management" that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. A typical day either starts early or ends late since the rate of call offs is very high, and the "management" will do anything in order to avoid filling in the gaps. Just about every day off means a call from Country Meadows, asking for you to come in. They are always short staffed because no one stays. Turn over is extremely high. Many of the "managers" are not well viewed by the co-workers, but despite this things just stay the same.
No way is this one of "the best places to work".
The most enjoyable part of the job is the $2.00 meal, which is actually pretty good if you can manage to get through it uninterrupted. They encourage breaks, but do not hesitate to call you to do things during your whopping 1/2 hour.
The hardest part is carrying someone else's work load. They let the slackers get away with slacking because their turn over looks bad. Instead, they come up with ways to punish the masses trying to fix issues that arise from this very situation.
THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU APPLY FOR EMPLOYMENT
PCA (Former Employee), MECHANICSBURG PADecember 12, 2014
Pros: weekends off
Cons: no advancement
LACK OF STAFFS - ALWAYS
POOR MANAGEMENT
NO PROMOTION/ADVANCEMENT
REQUIRE PCA TO COMPLETE DUTIES OF LPN.

January 14, 2015

Country Meadows tries our best to staff well, and actually staff at a higher ratio than required by the state. But sometimes issues arise with co-workers not doing their part, and we do try to identify and improve those situations. Good co-workers have many opportunities for advancement, and Country Meadows is proud to have many co-workers at all our locations who have advanced into positions with increased responsibility and pay. Our organization offers “Career Paths” training for most positions that are free to our motivated co-workers. We’re proud of our co-workers who have completed these ladders and have many success stories to share. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Productive working environment countinues training thourghout the year.
Personal Care Assistant (PCA)/ Mentor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 21, 2014
My typical work experience at Country Meadows included learning how to deal with non verbal and verbal residents with Dementia. Finding creative ways to help the resident in their day to day living experience to make their stay as comfortable as possible. Working with my Country Meadows coworkers was a wonderful experience everyone worked together and was willing to assist each other with help whether it was assisting with a resident transfer to wheelchair or simply helping out with an upset resident. The hardest part of my job is becoming close to the residents and they move on to be with the Lord. The most enjoyable part of my job is making difference in the residents lives supporting them in their time of need.

December 2, 2014

Thank you for your absolutely beautiful sentiments. Obviously you love seniors. Every time Country Meadows conducts a co-worker survey, an overwhelming response is that working with residents is the best part of the job. You are right; while it can be difficult losing a beloved resident/friend, those relationships are priceless. We are so very glad you are sharing your compassionate nature with Country Meadows. Our residents are very lucky. And so are we.

A nice place to work
Home Health Aide (Former Employee), York, PANovember 6, 2014
Pros: an atmosphere of respect
Cons: strange working hours, working some weekends and holidays.
Country Meadows was a very desirable place to work. My supervisors were wonderful and supportive, and for the most part, my clients were delightful. They were so appreciative of everything I did for them.

December 2, 2014

Thank you for your service and your kind words. We wish you the best in your career, and hope that you continue to share your caring nature with seniors.

I loved being part of the team
Med Tech/EMT (Former Employee), York, PAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: rewarding
very nice place to work. Really care about their employees.

December 2, 2014

Thank you for sharing your time and talents with our residents. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Nive place to work
Cook (Former Employee), HersheyOctober 15, 2014
Pros: enjoyed serving the residents
Cons: no room for growth
I would open the kitchen. I would prepare breakfast and lunch for the residents. Also help with the prep for the following day and for the dinner that evening. I would prepare the salad bar and dessert carts for lunch and dinner. I would also make desserts to be used the next day. I was also capable of writing the schedule and placing the weekly orders.

December 2, 2014

Thank you for your service, and for helping prepare delicious meals for our residents. Best of luck to you.

Love the residents.
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee), Lancaster, PAOctober 9, 2014
Help residents to the restrooms. Get them ready for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And wash them up before bedtime.

December 2, 2014

We love the residents too. Thank you for sharing your compassion with them and for being part of our team.

I enjoy my residents and my supervisor is wonderful.
Front desk (Current Employee), Bethlehem, PAAugust 8, 2014
I have been with the company for five years. It has its ups and downs, but overall, I'm happy.

December 2, 2014

Thank you for your note, and for building relationships with residents.

Great work environment with a staff that treats the residents like family.
Personal Care Associate (Former Employee), Bethlehem, PAJuly 16, 2014
Great work environment with a staff that treats the residents like family.

December 2, 2014

Thank you. As a family-owned company, family values are shared across the organization. Best of luck in your future.

country meadows is good place to work
LPN, Country Meadows, Supervisor (Former Employee), yorkJuly 5, 2014
country meadows focuses on the variety of levels of care from independent level of care, skilled care, assisted living, and dementia locked environment.

December 2, 2014

Thank you for your time working with our residents and co-workers. Best of luck to you.

FUn and Friendly place to work
Personal Care Associate (Former Employee), Bridgeville, PAJune 27, 2014
I loved to interact with the residents and let them just talk to me.

December 2, 2014

Thank you. We love that too! And we love learning from our residents and their life experiences. Best of luck.

Productive and Fulfilling work environment
Social Worker and Director of Client Services (Current Employee), Bridgeville, PennsylvaniaJune 21, 2014
Pros: compensation, flexibility
Cons: long work hours, on call weekends
Country Meadows is a great company to work for. They are currently working on growing and improving the business as well as staying updated on the latest technology for nursing and rehab.
Everyone always states that the coworkers look "happy" while they are at work, which they do, however days can be long and taxing. It is challenging working with some of the families but you will have that any where when people are faced with crisis in an unknown situation. That is why we are there to guide them through the process.

December 2, 2014

Taking care of our older loved ones is one of the hardest jobs. And we appreciate our co-workers who give their all, and more, every single day. Thank you for helping families navigate the confusing maze of long-term care during a very emotional time. You are appreciated more than words can express. Thank you for your note.

Patient Care assistant/Medication Technician (Former Employee), Lancaster PaJune 11, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: alot of work for one person
Everyday was fun and I was inspired to do my very best for the residents.

December 2, 2014

Thank you for your note. Everyday IS fun and we all work hard to make life better for our residents. Best of luck to you.

If everyone works together, it is a lovely place to work
Personal Care Associate (Former Employee), Bethlehem, PAJune 3, 2014
Pros: working with the residents, the activites for both the workers and residents, meeting new people
Cons: pay, short staff
Assisting residents in showers, bathroom, and getting them dressed
Encouraging the residents to walk, excercise, and participte in activities
Commincate effectively with all staff members and families for the good of the residents
Serve and clear meals in a timely manner

Hardest part: working short

Most enjoyable part: Getting to know the residents and making a diffence in their life.

December 2, 2014

Thank you for working so hard to help our residents. Best of luck to you.

Home care not full time
Home care associate (Former Employee), Allentown/BethlehemMay 21, 2014
Pros: getting to meet the older times
Cons: co-workers are not friendly
Worked for home care for about 5 months, was promised full time hours. Full time to me is 35 to 40 hours in one week not 10 to 27. Also when you have to drive the client someplace you don't start getting paid till you are with them, you first sign out the car and bring it around. That's a good 5 to 10 minutes of your own time more if they are not in the campus and you have to drive to their home.
Management has their favorites, and will baby them. By giving them the better clients or hours.
Loved the clients, just not management and some of the co-workers that were in the the campus working.

June 26, 2014

Our favorite thing to read is when co-workers love residents and clients. As you know first-hand, Country Meadows At Home offers clients personal care services in their own homes. This requires our Home Care Associates to be flexible with the times they are available to work. When there are no client hours available, Home Care Associates are provided with hours at the nearest Country Meadows Retirement Community campus to ensure that our full-time co-workers receive full-time hours. Also, Home Care Associates are paid for the time spent traveling from our office to clients’ homes. Please contact a supervisor if this was not the case. Many of our long-time co-workers have established relationships with clients and as such are requested by those clients and/or their families. It may appear as though these co-workers are “favorites,” however it is more likely they have established clients. If you witnessed otherwise, please contact the Country Meadows hotline to share more information so we can investigate. Please view our company profile for contact information. Thank you for your service to our clients and best of luck to you.

Former PCA at the Frederick campus
PCA (Former Employee), FrederickApril 18, 2014
Pros: residents
Cons: management is atrocious
Over worked, short staffed all the time, poor management who never walk the floors to witness other PCA's not doing their jobs. Over all horrible attitudes of employees. Kitchen staff manager is horribly unfriendly with no people skills whatsoever. Think twice about working there. You will not be able to go any further than a PCA there.

May 19, 2014

Thank you for your note. As you know first-hand, working with our elders can be a demanding job and is, in our opinion, one of the most important. We’re sorry you have these concerns. Country Meadows is proud to have received numerous awards as an exceptional employer and just last year won the coveted “Best Place to Work in Frederick County” designation. Even though you no longer work with us, we encourage you to call and report these concerns to our confidential 24-hour Compliance hotline at 888.470.3376. This line is managed by a third party and all calls are anonymous. We’re proud to have several co-workers at our Frederick campus who have advanced into positions with increased responsibility and pay. Country Meadows provides opportunities to grow and be promoted to co-workers who work hard and perform well, more than those who perform just ok. Our organization also offers “Career Paths” training for most positions that are free to our motivated co-workers. We’re proud of our co-workers who have completed these ladders and have many success stories to share. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

1 2 3 4

About Country Meadows Retirement Communities

Country Meadows is a great place to work. Country Meadows takes great pride in the fact that our co-workers are known for being – Read more

Country Meadows Retirement Communities Photos