County of San Diego Employee Reviews

Easy going, Good benefits
Health Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  La Mesa, CAMay 8, 2017
It is a good job if you can handle stress and enjoy helping people. Some days are harder than others but in general it is not a bad working environment with good benefits, and you don't need to have a college degree but it helps to have one to promote faster.
Pros
job security, good benefits, holidays
Cons
Low pay, advancement policy
Great organization
Departmental Budget Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 17, 2017
Working for the County of San Diego was always exciting and always a different experience. I was able to work in several departments and I enjoyed multiple positions.
Amazing work atmohphere
Human Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 31, 2017
In my s time working as an HSS for the county of San Diego, I found myself surrounded by an amazing work family from all walks of life. They had accepted me quickly and I became great friends with the people I met there.
The work was also very rewarding to me, I had previously only worked with primarily children and I wanted to try something different.
Maintaining case loads of clients and having daily face to face interviews and interactions with people seeking government benefits put a new and different perspective on my life and decided to leave a secure and well sought after job for a life in the far East.
Very flexible schedules for student workers
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 30, 2017
Loved how flexible the schedule was and how understanding supervisors were in terms of understanding student workload. Never felt pushed into doing more work than I could handle.
Pros
Very loving co-workers and so many staff celebrations
Cons
Received plenty of "busy work" when there wasn't enough to do
Good
Protective Social Worker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 14, 2017
Great Place to work; Great Opportunities for growth; Excellent Benefits; Flexible and casual work environment; Great place to make good friends and co-workers have a great team player attitude
Pros
Overtime Pay Unavailable
Cons
Walk breaks available and encouraged
A controlled environment with limited knowledge outside a check sheet.
Assistant Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 6, 2017
It was very standardized checking system, with a old, out of date filing system. The management had little structural knowledge outside of the standard check list that was used to check drawings.
changed too much
Building Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 3, 2017
Family atmosphere to a cold numbers based system
poor advancement and good old boy favorites
never a thank you
Poor overall management.
Upper management just changed to a US Navy SWO and is pointing upward
Sdcph
Registered Nurse - Mental Health (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 2, 2017
great place to work. Awesome staff on NOC shift. Nice to work 2-12 hour nights and then have 2 off. Easy access with lots of parking. Great benefits with the county
Pros
great benefits
Cons
wages are a little low for RNs
Good place to learn.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 26, 2017
Nice place to work and new things to learn. Employees really professional always happy to assist clients with every person needs. Good place to work. and learn .
Pros
free lunches
Cons
heathcare
Productive and fun workplace
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 26, 2017
Amazing culture and amazing people. It is the best place that I have worked at! I would like to work there always. Learned a lot of customer service skills. Great Management. The culture is amazing.
no room for advancement unless you've been with the count for years
property assessment specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 3, 2017
It's best to start from the bottom and put your years in to advance. Coming in with outside experience does not help with job promotions. It seems the count is more concerned with years worked in the count in opposed to knowledge and skill. It's a nice place to work but the pay is not so good and makes it frustrating. The people are nice and nosy at times but all around I can't complain on the work atmosphere. I've dealt with much worse in the past.
Great career
Supervising Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 16, 2017
I enjoyed a 23 year career with the County of San Diego. My work assignments were very different throughout my career from both minimum & maximum security institutions, investigations, program development, case management, direct service provision, training, public speaking, multiagency collaboration, crisis intervention, management and supervision of both institutional officers and professional level sworn staff.

What I learned in this profession is that everyone has value and a story to tell. There is no room for judgement or bias towards the individuals I worked with during my career nor the people I supervised.

My department's management hierarchy was a paramilitary type structure. It changed many times over my career as individuals moved in and out of positions i.e., Chief, Assistant Chief, Deputy Chiefs and Directors. I always enjoyed a good relationship with most of my upper management over my many years in the department.

My co-worker over the years were a great group of dedicated people who cared about making a difference in the lives of the clients under our care and supervision.

The hardest part of the job was not always having the proper resources available to provide to the clients. Mental health and support services were often inadequate.

The most enjoyable part of my career was working directly with clients, in a hope to have a positive influence on them. It was wonderful to see clients achieve goals and move in a more positive direction in their lives.
Pros
Good people, always interesting, challenging, intellectually stimulating, good benefits.
Cons
Governmental changes, budget cuts, lack of resources.
A Great place to work M- F , no weekends!
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2017
Good benefits and 401k retirement! Good place for advancement. Great Co- workers! Breaks are on time, good sick leave, maternity leave and vacation time.
Pros
No weekends for Welfare offices!
A terrible place to work
Departmental Operations (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 3, 2017
The County of San Diego is a miserable place to work. Most long-timers will tell you on the spot how much more time they have until they retire. People stick around a long time because of the pension benefits, but salaries are low for any industry including other government agencies. Job culture is terrible. There are a lot of silos at the County. Upper management treats employees at the County badly, and there's a lot of finger-pointing. The CAO wants the County to be recognized as one of the best places to work in Metro San Diego, but the CAO is a big part of the problem. The CAO has arranged a lot of generous raises for herself, but provided zero salary increases for management staff for 5 years.
Pros
Pension and some good health insurance plans
Cons
Difficult and mean-spirited upper management; low salaries
Great job
Recreational Therapy Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 10, 2016
Enjoyed my 12 years with the county . I created great relationship and memories. Look forward to working there I'm the future
Great
Volunteer at Feeding America - Mira Mesa (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 8, 2016
It was a fantastic place and it enabled me to get my food handlers license. The things they taught me are very valuable and it is very helpful in my job search.
Office manager, Philips Electronic Instruments
Voter Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2016
This position was all encompassing and was at a fast pace. I learned a great deal more about contracting and budget reviews. The majority of the time I worked under long distance management.
Pros
I had great clients and always enjoyed my contacts with them.
Cons
Slow delivery of purchased equipment from the Netherlands.
Difficult work for very little compensation
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 27, 2016
We are in a position where the clients we interact with are currently in one of the most difficult times of their life. Frontline Office Assistants make the least amount and are taxed by clients moreso than other county positions. Office Assistant REALLY must LOVE their job in order to continue. Some management is difficult, at best, to deal with sometimes. Because of civil service rules, a permanent position with the county makes it extremely difficult to offload workers who don't want to work. Being a verbal punching bag for scared clients, bitter coworkers, and less than amazing management is the most difficult part of my job. The most enjoyable part is actually seeing a smile on the face of someone that I was able to help.
Pros
Stable, get to work with a very diverse population
Cons
County work does not pay well, no more county paid pension, mandatory 401(k), mandatory union dues
Dispatcher Trainee
Communications Center-Radio Trainee (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 15, 2016
I really enjoyed answering 911 and non-emergency calls. I would prioritize calls and send out to deputies in the field and i really enjoyed looking up information or inquiries from deputies. I also liked being the calm voice in the storm, sort of speak and still able to retrieve vital information for safety reasons and being a part of a process when suspects are apprehended.
Pros
Working four days and three days off
Cons
12.5 hr shifts and short breaks at times
A place where people believe in what they do.
Legal Support Supervisor I (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 30, 2016
I really like this place. Everyone from the top down are awesome. All supervisors and managers I dealt with had my career in minds and help me further it. This is a place of learning and all are willing to teach. It has changed my idea and perception of what indigent defense was.
Pros
job security
Cons
need more hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at County of San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval