COUNTY OF SANTA CLARA Employee Reviews

Great job and benefits
Protective Services Officer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 10, 2017
The pay is absolutely horrible. They expect us to live on a 55000 dollar job where even 100000 dollars is considered low income. They should double or triple everyone's pay. Too much work for not enough compensation. The hospital is great but unfortunately it seems that there isn't too much room for advancement. The benefits are great but other than that the pay is horrible.
Benefits
Cons
The amount responsibility and work and constant harassment by management and supervisors
fun, and fast paced
Social Worker I (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 4, 2017
many changes can occur in one day due to the unpredictable situations. County does a lot to help out the community. Many resources are offered to people and employees go above and beyond.
Pros
great pay
Cons
hard to become permanent
Job stability as long as you can put up with the beaucracy
Clinical RN III (Former Employee) –  VSCJanuary 14, 2017
Worked in Ophthalmology clinic for years, the doctors and residents are fabulous, some of the nurses too. Management was ineffective in dealing with bullying and unproductive employees.
Must have patience and skill in dealing with unhappy clients- long wait times for appointments and waiting to see MDs.
Wonderful exposure to all sorts of patients from peds to custody.
Pros
get that check every 2 weeks
Cons
fake that smile everyday with problem employees
Productive place to work but no ping pong table
Workers' Compensation Claims Adjuster III (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 29, 2016
Fast paced claims environment. Highly skilled claims personnel. Excellent and on-going training regimen with good management support.
Overall summary of Santa Clara County
Extra Help (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 27, 2016
Great place for anyone to get their door in. However it is very difficult for you to move up and may take a 2 to 3 years minimum to move up the next level. For example an Account I moving to Account II could take awhile.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Too much job that security that new positions hardly open up.
Survey project
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 15, 2016
It was great to learn new ways of research. I love how the county is trying tot get to know their citizens better and i was honored to work for them to get the information they needed.
Hospital that cares for their patients
Clinical Lab Scientist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 26, 2016
I honestly love working here. It is fast paced, I love the enthusiasm and team work of my co workers for patient cares. Our Union is there to fight for you. SCVMC has the best benefits than any other hospitals right now and with our recent realignment increase we have one of the best salaries than any hospitals in the Bay Area. Most of all, it is the way we serve our patients, we deeply care for their well being by working hard serving them. I'm proud to be part of our care team and most of all I'm grateful for the oppurtunity of serving our community. So come and join us.
Fun and entertaining workplace
Marriage and Family Therapist II (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 24, 2016
I have learned a lot working in the jail. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the workflow and also working on weekends. The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling that I am growing as a therapist.
Pros
good pay
Cons
working weekends
good benefits and hard work.
Weights and Measures Inspector (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 4, 2016
the coworkers are nice but the manager was unreasonable and a lot of colleagues left the job. All the people who left had a very bad experience with this one particular manager.
A pretty beneficial place to work
Office of the District Attorney (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 1, 2016
I've been working for the County since 10/2015 and it is a nice change from the private sector. As a county employee you get automatic pay increases, cost of living adjustments, excellent health and retirement benefits and many opportunities to advance your career.
Pros
Benefits and union protection
Senior Office Specialist/Office Specialist III (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 16, 2015
I like it here.
It is a great place to work.
I am only doing this review because it is required.
Hopefully, I have typed enough words to move on to the next screen.
Productive fun place to work.
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 15, 2015
I assisted the clerical staff with projects, created new folders for clients, signed clients, visitors, and vendors in and out. Answered phones and transferred the callers to the appropriate department or person. I learned how to check on client's cases and inform them of who's their worker or councilor. I also learned more about the programs offered at Cal-Works Employment Connection. The management was great. I was comfortable approaching them with issues. In addition, I was able to work well with all of my co-workers. The communication between us was great.
Professional attitude and attire required.
Medical Interpreter/Translator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 2, 2015
My typical shift, as night shift ER & hospital interpreter for the past six years, includes telephone interpreting as well as interpreting for the Emergency and trauma departments and the rest of the hospital, including our emergency psychiatric facility. Emergencies, traumas are unpredictable and so the pace varies.

Typically duties include anything from interpreting for triage to discussing the death of a patient with family members, due either to trauma or a catastrophic illness.

As an interpreter/translator for SCVMC since 1999, I've learned more medical terminology, anatomy than I ever hoped to learn without a specific medical degree, as I have interpreted for instructors for various conditions, illnesses and procedures..

Coworkers in my specific field are compassionate and professional, with a strong desire to help both providers and patients achieve mutual understanding to meet the goal of optimum health care.

Those in the emergency department, where I work, are easy to get along with and very thorough in their care, empathic and we treat one another with respect and concern, more like family than coworkers.

The most difficult part of my job is when someone is obviously not going to survive, either short term, as in the event of a trauma, or because of a fatal diagnosis, and I have to interpret for the provider informing them or the family.

Most enjoyable? Seeing that a patient not only understands what is going on, but what can be done to correct whatever the issue is.
Or when a provider asks for my input and recognizes that I have valuable skills
  more... to contribute to their patient care.  less
Pros
The ability to assist people in giving and receiving quality medical care is very fulfilling
Cons
Low pay, no overtime allowed even if needed, no debriefing
Great County to work for.
Deputy Probation Officer III (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CalifonriaJune 29, 2015
County provides really good benefits. Encourage growth of
individual. Flex hours within reason. Management promotions
are limited due to Affirmative Action.
Pros
Great department to work for
Cons
Very political
Positive working environment
Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 28, 2015
Everyone is helpful and positive. The working environment is positive and everyone works well together. Work life balance and good benefits.
Review is for County Dept Clerk of the Board
Board Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 22, 2014
This 30-35 people department is run by 3 overpaid very inexperinced managers with minimal education (some junior college or through County discounted college program with National University) and an internally promoted by default Division Head "thee" Clerk of the Board and her Assistant Clerk of the Board. The dept's main functions are supporting the Board of Supervisors, handling Assessment Appeals, and Public Records requests for the County.
This office is known to have a HIGH turnover rate due to the poor management. It is made of a group of veteran clerks and then there are the newer clerks who get micro-managed and mistreated by the inexperienced management. They are known to hire over qualified/over ambitious people in hopes of getting them to do the managers' duties while managers and their admins sit around deciding where they are all going for lunch or hiding in their cubes. However, once an employee realizes they are being abused and stands up for themselves management turns on them and makes their job and work experience a living nightmare.
Pros
You get to support/work with the Executives of the County
Cons
Very low morale and inexperienced management
Great benefits, terrible administration
Psychiatric RN II (Former Employee) –  PsychiatrySeptember 16, 2014
I worked as a Psychiatric RN for 25 years and was able to retire - thank God because the job was killing me! Decisions are made with no common sense basis and there is a lot of nepotism as far as advancement opportunities. I liked most of the line staff and we had to work together since the environment was pretty dangerous thanks to the very lax administration.
Pros
benefits, most coworkers
Cons
no breaks, ridiculous rules and autocratic supervisors
County of Santa Clara-
Licensed Marriage Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 15, 2014
I have had the privilege of working at the County for the past 10 years. I have blossomed as a clinician serving underserved children and their families.

I am a Lead Clinician at KidScope. We provide multi disciplinary targeted assessments to children 0-5 years old. The family meets with a psychotherapist first to gather all the relevant psycho-social history and if is it warranted. The psychotherapist refers to our developmental behavioral pediatrician and a psychologist from Children's Health Council.

We have provide psychotherapy to chlidren 0-18 years old...
Pros
close to home
Cons
too much of who you know, not what you know....
Friendly work environment
Office Specialist I/Management Aide (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 30, 2014
For my position there was a lot of interaction between co-workers (being the receptionist). At the county they really strive to bring everyone together happily in both work functions and outside. There is a lot of room to grow if you are willing to ask others, for example I learned more on Lotus Notes, Office 365, Microsoft Access, and migrating information from different servers all just by asking others if were in need of help with any projects they were working on.
Pros
room to grow, welcoming atmosphere, great co-workers
Cons
as extra help no benefits, and position is not stable.
Productive, providing the best services to the community
EWII (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 3, 2014
Busy, but rewarding in that you are helping people with services needed for them and their families. A great opportunity to use all your skills in various data bases by: data entry, processing applications and providing benefits, applying rules and regulations and using extensive interviewing skills.
Pros
Rewarding work and promotional opportunities
Cons
very stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at COUNTY OF SANTA CLARA. Our community is ready to answer.

COUNTY OF SANTA CLARA Reviews by Location