Covance, Inc Employee Reviews in United States

Merger Changed the Fabric of the Company!
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJApril 21, 2016
Covance was a great company to work for. The management team was top notch and they treated their employees well. Worked long hours daily (60 hours on average) but didn't mind the hard-work to support a exceptional IT department. This all changed though as the company was purchased by LabCorp which promoted fear in all employees and the layoffs confirmed it for more than half the office. Till end of 2014 all contractors were let go and the work doubled for employees. At the end of 2015, most of the management and leadership teams, HR and Finance disappeared. They are now further cutting down on the technical and worker bees to a skeleton crew. No end in sight. . . There is no help from North Carolina to sustain the infrastructure and the Covance environment positioned for failure.

I would not recommend Covance IT as the work environment is very unstable. The company live by the "at-will" status and lets go of people as they please!
Pros
None at this time
Cons
Uncertain Forecast
Great experience, great people
Project Director (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 16, 2015
Covance has been a great company to work for in the CRO field. I would recommend them to anyone that wants to learn and grow in their abilities as a clinical research professional.
Marketing
Intern-Marketing (Former Employee) –  princeton NJOctober 6, 2015
Worked in the marketing department to bring awareness on which competitors are advertising there services online and in magazines
Challenges of Job
Senior Executive Assistant - Portfolio Specialist (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJuly 26, 2015
Dealt with diverse levels of management in a high pressure company. Met all challenges and daily deliverables. Managed and control daily workflow within multiple fund teams. Participated in company merger and supported additional fund groups with the Equity fund department. Produced procedures for the Global Technology fund meger to Blackrock Financial team.
Pros
Valuable job experiences
Cons
Company merger
Brief stay due to being purchased by LabCorp
Senior Manager of Technical Accounting (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMay 28, 2015
Covance was a great company to work for. The management team was top notch and they treated their employees well. The benefits are superb. This is all changing though as the company was purchased by LabCorp this past February 2015 which prompted layoffs due to synergies between the companies. This is especially so for corporate, which was expected. Hence, the unfortunate brief stay at Covance.
Pros
Great benefits, good management team
Cons
Purchased by LabCorp, Layoffs
Covance
HR Corporate Global Rewards Intern (Current Employee) –  Madison, WisoconsinMay 1, 2015
Great place to work. They really care about employee benefits and engaging employees. They like to see their employees evolve professionally.
Best Company to work for
Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJApril 10, 2015
Covance is the only CRO to provide end to end drug development services. They focus on patients and clients and help bring the miracles of medicine to market.
Professional Environment
Medical Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 23, 2015
Typical work day started with schedules lead by the Team lead.

Learned to work in fast paced environment.
Learned how to operate large scale laboratory set ups
LMS and Agile experience
Pros
good team
Cons
lack of communications
Hostile Work Environment
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 17, 2015
Upon my arrival at work, I am trained to call various insurance companies to obtain medical and prescription benefits for an injection specialty drug. I am ordered by the supervisors and managers of the team to open, initial review, fax and closed 6 insurance verification cases daily.

This position as a program specialist has absolutely no structure and a very unstable format. There are some good people there, of course, but the majority of the employees at Covance are part of a clique who are very tight knit and negative with low self esteem.

The hardest part of the job is the not knowing how long it will take you to hold with the payers to obtain the benefits. If you do not close 6 cases daily you are put on a PIP to so call help you improve, but they know they are intending from the very start to fire you anyway for whatever reason.

Covance is also a very homosexual-proactive company who employs many homosexuals of various creeds and colors. This is the only environment where I worked and felt like my hard work would never matter or be enough. Upon termination of my employment, I feel relieved not upset.

Life is too short to be doing a job you are not happy doing. I am so grateful to God for freeing me from the hostile work environment. Please keep these types of environments out of my life totally!!
Pros
Decent but not great pay
Cons
Extreme micromanagement
Supportive and technology driven
Senior Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILJune 11, 2014
My day consisted of various monitoring activities. I had the opportunity to perform a lead role which involved reviewing and approving other CRA trip reports. As well as, leading CRA monthly meetings.
Rewarding
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 22, 2014
Patient work, rewarding, stable, profitable, coworkers friendly, learned a lot about business,
Pros
enjoyed staff
Cons
not equal growth
At the time, high management turn-over
Sr HR Representative (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJanuary 28, 2014
Good work/life balance, team spirited, challenging, very quality oriented
Covance, in 1999-2000, was a poor place to work.
Clinical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJanuary 3, 2014
At the time I was associated with Covance (Princeton, NJ) in 2000 it turned out to be a very poor place to work. A lot of "back-stabbing" and "turf protection" going on.

As a Project Manager, my job was very poorly outlined and upper management was not supportive of any of my efforts.

As a CRO they had a history of under bidding on projects just to get the contract and then requesting numerous "change orders" as costs increased. Many pharmaceutical clients disapproved of this activity and did not use Covance for future projects.

Covance had a good Central Laboratory arrangement but internal management was poor.
Good company
HR Analyst (Former Employee) –  PrincetonNovember 2, 2013
Covance afforded me the opportunity to grow my skillset. I would recommend this company for anyone who is willing to work hard and achieve goals.
Good learning opporunity
Recruiter / Recruiting Coordinator Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2013
Covance is a global Clinical Research Organization providing the employee base with continuous learning opportunities.
Pros
employee education
Cons
horrible work / life balance
Like Stress? Work at Covance!
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 21, 2013
Company makes decisions based on the quarter only. If youre comfy with job security that lasts 3 months then youll be OK. But if you prefer longer term-job security then Id pass.

Management is good in some areas, not in others. CEO is all about shareholders and they talk about employees being important but I disagree.
Pros
good benefits. good pay
Cons
no job security. poor culture overall.
Growing CRO
SR. MANAGER RECRUITING AND GLOBAL BUSINESS PARTNER (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 16, 2013
Growing CRO experiencing some industry challenges.
Opportunities to progress.
Productive workplace with great co-workers
Vaccine Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 28, 2013
In charge of helping pharmaceutical companies market their vaccines through our Market Access Service system. I worked with patients and providers on a weekly basis regarding vaccines, which helped the time go by. I loved my co-workers who were very helpful and fun at the same time. The hardest part of my job was dealing with impatient doctors and patients regarding quick information about new medication and protocols etc. The most enjoyable part was being able to make someone's life a little bit easier with my help.
Pros
good team with great manager, good training program
Cons
short breaks
Very stressfull in my position
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 15, 2013
Salary is decent. Benefits are decent. Stress amount is not tolerable for me. Constantly wanting more. co workers are great on the whole. Many computer programs to learn. Not very structured on training. Learn on the fly.
benefits
Cons
30 min lunch. two unpaid 15 min breaks...if you can get them.
Great Work Environment
Salesforce.com System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJSeptember 25, 2012
Covance has a great work environment and work/life balance. As someone who has been promoted twice, I can tell you that it is not easy. If you are happy with your current career, it is a great place to work.
Pros
flex time, pto time, work/life balance
Cons
difficult to move up, very little career growth/guidance