Covance Employee Reviews in United States

Management needs to improve/honesty to clients need to improve
Investigator Support (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 22, 2016
Working for Covance is too demanding and being constantly asked to lie to the clients/sponsors by the Investigator Support Management, which is why I am leaving. Pay is only fair, if you are a favorite or literally sleeping with someone, very true. If their Clients/Sponsors knew what they were doing, they would be out of business. If only someone would truly listen.
benefits
Cons
From Management to Job fairness and advancement
Balanced if you make work your life.
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, wiSeptember 26, 2015
The only pro to working here are the benefits! They are amazing. I worked here for 7 years however and was overworked and underpaid every day. I worked anywhere from 50 to 60 hours a week and was always guilted to take on more work. I even pulled two 24 hour shifts before!!! They preech work/life balance, but the only way to have a work/life balance is to make work your life. There were several divorces of people who worked here and even my relationship was shakey until I left. They do year end reviews and that is what your raise was based on, however it is all politics and howuvh your supervisors liked you. I loved my Co workers and the job, but the hours and politics where rediculous. Great for a college grad looking for some experience, but I can't see it as a long term job unless you want to be married to your job.
Pros
Benefits, 401k, a few events throughout the year
Cons
To many hours, supervisors are clueless
Questionable Management
drug safety (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 29, 2015
Upper management does not listen to line members when it comes to concerns about line managers. As long as the numbers looks good they dont care how the line managers are. My manager continually plays favorites and flat out lies to the newer employees. If one of the associates does something wrong its somehow the assistants fault. And she does not use the assistants as the job description. We are used as file clerks and assistants to the associates. Again this has been voiced to upper management several times to to avail. But this is just in my little area of the company. I hear other divisions work better...wish i was in one of them.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
DSS upper management does not listen to line members
Great Co-Workers
Medical Lab Tech III - Lead Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 31, 2016
I worked with some of the greatest people. When their hard work would often go unrecognized by management, co-workers would go out of their way to congratulate others on their accomplishments, both professional and personal. Co-workers were also quick to help others when it was needed and were very openly appreciative when the help was returned in kind.
Pros
Co-workers, opportunities to cross train
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Great benefits and work from home
Global Study Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 2, 2016
Covance is a great place to work and provides many advancement opportunities. Company allows employees to work from home full time after training.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
Work Life Balance
The people who work there are awesome...the management, not so much.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 1, 2015
Covance is NOT a bad company to work for. It is the negative environment fostered by the VP at the California site that makes working there less than desirable. The dysfunction becomes apparent when you discover that there are no written training materials for administrative staff. The CEO is fine. It's the vice president's micro-management that needs addressing.
Pros
Compensation is great!
Cons
Work environment and micromanagement by the VP are major issues.
Mediocre
PROGRAM SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 26, 2016
Unfortunately, my experience at Covance has been mediocre at best. The management plays favorites. There are limited chances for advancement. It is rare to hear any employees say positive things about the company.
Was a very unrewarding job that was unsatisfying in every facet imaginable
Specimen Processor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 27, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of collecting samples and scanning them into long term storage drawers. Very mundane, very boring, but absolutely necessary because it is the backbone of their business. I learned how to handle dry ice and liquid nitrogen but that was basically it. Management was pretty disconnected with the lower level employees. In fact when I was let go I was never given a warning or was approached why anyone, I got a call that night after work from the contracting company that got me the job saying I got let go. To me that was a classless move. Most of the coworkers were nice but none of them were too worried about making friends with anyone. The hardest part of the job was not going crazy. It was super boring and not very engaging, I would rather do hard manual labor. The most enjoyable part was the unlimited overtime.
Pros
unlimited overtime, 40 minute paid lunch, flexible hours
Cons
mundane
Watch out
Program Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 21, 2016
The people are a great bunch, helpful, supervisors one is great , one is ike dead fish ( she needs to get some kind of personality, one is so fake. The rest i didnt have much contact. Any problems u have they call u after u get home, and like i said watch your back , they call you at like 8 at night to tell your let go , no balls to meet with you before you leave for the day, they dont want to let the others know VERY SNEAKY, they make a big deal about money spent on training, but instead of working with you , they just you go. Just a side note to the head of the department. ONE LESS PARKING SPACE YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Its in the summary
Productive, helps to grow in carrer
consultant (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJJanuary 6, 2016
Good Work culture. Very challenging environment and gives an exposure to learning.

Got good exposure in Health Care systems and ETL testing
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
NONE
Learn as you go environment with friendly staff.
Call Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 11, 2016
A typical day at work would include dressing business casual or professional, clocking activity during shifts, maintaining calls, uploading and organizing fax documents, while using the Sales Force System. Also, other office type duties were assigned. Growing within the company to a supervisory role is permitted. The mission within my team was to improve patient health. On average, I would receive at least 40 calls per day. Sometimes, that would include making outbound calls and then typing case notes. My department was funded on donations received throughout the year. The compensation is okay ($17.00 hourly), but the greatest reward comes from satisfied patients! Overall, this career is great if you prefer a relaxed environment! My objective while working for Covance was to award grants (donated funding) to patients for medication!
Pros
With the learn as you go experience, can be a relaxed working environment.
Cons
Although training is provided, Supervisors and other staff might not know certain answers for the patients and callers.
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MD 20878July 28, 2016
Problems with retention and morale aren’t just issues that confront your human resources officer. They make a measurable affect on your bottom line. The average price to replace an employee, from costs associated with exit interviews, administrative procedures, the interview process and training, is roughly 38 percent of the departed employee’s salary, according to Entrepreneur. Similarly, nationwide about $350 billion in productivity is lost through disengaged employees each year, according to Gallup and cited by Roberts Wesleyan College.
Company is great to work for upper management at facility very poorly managed
CRF Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJune 14, 2016
Worked with Phase I studies from screening to end of study. Data entry for study completion, resolve queries, work with monitors to assure that all information entered was correct. Created screening source for new studies, and if the unit was busy I would do EKG, phlebotomy, processing blood and urine, vital signs, physicals, write up and resolve adverse events. I have learned a great deal about GCP, protocols requirements from numerous studies, Upper management from the local facility was very poor. Never shared company information, doors were closed, very emotionless not an approachable manager rarely spoke to staff. Very micro managed. Out of touch with most of the staff. I have been to two other sites and both directors of the clinics were inviting and personable. Co-workers were a great group of people with plenty of real world experience in the medical field. The hardest part of the job was the micro-managing. the most enjoyable part was the work I did and the studies itself.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
no communiction from management
Good job with responsive and helpful management.
Pathology Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 11, 2016
Would work half the day in the pathology lab, then the other half of the day working with the rest of the interns organizing a new system for archival of sensitive data. Also worked with other interns to create our own philanthropic project that we imagined, created, and executed.
Learned how to talk with peers and management of all levels and work well with others to finish project deadlines, as well as some lab technical skills.
Management and co-workers were friendly, helpful, and responsive.
Pros
Everyone was willing to offer a helping hand and felt very welcome, even as an intern.
Cons
had to work through breaks to get things done in lab.
Terrible!
Contract Managerment (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJApril 5, 2016
Hands down the worst group in the company. Don't even expect to get anywhere, grow or be valued while working in Contract Management. Consistent revolving door - they are always hiring because employees are treated terribly.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Management, No Growth, Mistreated
Terrible, office politics, bad management, advance only if you are buddy buddy with management
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, INMay 15, 2015
I worked at Covance for awhile as a Program Specialist. I loved the work I was doing, but I started to hate it when I realized how high school Covance is. There is lots of drama, no privacy, once you clock in that's it, you can't talk to anyone else without being looked down on, lots of office gossip, the only people that get advanced in the company are the ones that all stick together and are buddy buddy with management, and half the people who get promoted don't do their job well and abuse their leadership. The best feeling I ever had was leaving that company. You have to be a yes man to work there, and you also have to be friends with management to advance in your career.
Pros
Benefits, and decent schedule
Cons
Terrible management, bad training, unorganized and very high school environment
Most enjoyable part of the job
Clinical Data Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAJuly 5, 2016
Many times I get to use my brain and think. UAT, edits, addressing some of the queries that are not correct. I have learned a lot in my positions I have held, and constantly want to learn and take on new challenges and tasks. My typical day is ansering emails, reviewing data, resolving queires, external vendor rec, and SAE rec (once a month)
Pros
Work from home
Cons
it is only contract for now, no benefits, paid vaction or hoildays
moderate
Program Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, INApril 6, 2016
This is a very stressful but rewarding position. This job has excellent benefits. This position has a very strict schedule.
Overworked and Underpaid
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 26, 2016
Don't socialize, don't talk too loud, and your productivity numbers better be optimal or you could lose your job. I've seen too many coworkers terminated for minuscule "offences." Call centers are not a good place to work, and this is definitely a call center environment. You're just a number here.
Pros
If you become permanent, on-sight gym. It's full-time and there are benefits.
Cons
The environment/culture.
Felt like I was back in High School
Program Specialist Trainer (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, INJune 27, 2016
I loved my job overall. I loved working with patients and the training aspect of my job. It was when Supervisors are listening and/or contributing to rumor mills that the job became difficult and lost my job. I would suggest not making friends and keeping your head down. Just do your job and go home.
Pros
Monday through Friday
Cons
Temp Agents are treated differently

2.5