Covance Employee Reviews

A very productive workplace
LAB ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 7, 2012
Enjoyed my co-workers and the work I did. Started as just processing specimens when I first started, then moved up to answering emails and talking to labs. Management was very easy to talk whenever anyone had a problem you could go to them and let them know your problem and what you needed help with and whey usually resolved all issues. A typical day at work come in log on to my computer check my emails answer all emails that needed to be answered. Get samples out of the freezer that needed to be resolved and also pick up samples from other departments. Learned what covance did how they received and ran test on all these samples and how they shipped samples to different labs.
Learned new and exciting skills
Clinical Data Coordinator I (Former Employee) –  Radnor, PAApril 8, 2014
• Reviewed and implemented SOPs and SSPs (Study Specific Procedures) using various information systems including web tracking, inventory, Query, IVRS, Oracle Clinical and CRFXpress
• Examined and updated client’s primary database, worked with client on design and execution activities including trial set-up, query generation/resolution, data coding and issues
• Assisted with quality control audits and research
• Wrote data for test scripts to conduct systems validations for study start-up
Pros
was always learning new applications and policies within the pharmaceutical industries
Cons
workload was increased after a surprised lay-off session
very stressful enviornment
In-bound/Out-bound call center representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 26, 2014
the day starts as early as 6AM, which means it ends as early as 2:30PM, which allows you to run errands or take care of matters after work. However the daily work schedule is very daunting and stressful. As a third party vendor, it is not easy to extract information from insurance companies due to HIPAA. The management is not very neutral however likes to play favorites and does give preference to employees they like but make it seem as if the opportunities are given due to the employees efforts which is not at all the case. Co-workers are close.
Pros
great work schedules
Cons
management, morale, and work environment are sub-par
Doesn't provide resources in a timeley manner to produce efficient work outcomes.
Contract Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAFebruary 10, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of taking inbound calls and making outbound calls to patients and insurance companies. I have learned how to manage difficult callers over the phone in a professional and compassionate manner. I managed my time by prioritizing my workload for the day. I was also able to assist the Special Exceptions team put together reports for patients that required an exception to the drug assistance program's eligibility guidelines that were sent to the manufacturer for review.
Cons
no benefits, inefficient trainings and policies
Management unable to handle the wokflow and the amount of people working for them
Program specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 20, 2014
While the job itself could be very satisfying as we were helping people obtain medication they previously could not afford, the management could not handle the stress of maintaining the number of benefit investigations needed to be done daily. That stress was relayed to the workforce. Moral was never very high due to this fact. however, the days would go by quickly as we were on the phone and busy so often we hardly knew where the time had gone. I especially enjoyed being able to begin my day at 6am and sometimes earlier.
Pros
early start time.
Cons
mis management
Working at a CRO
Senior Clinical Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJApril 10, 2012
Since I work with 4 protocol my day could be tracking documents to file in the Trail Master FIle, scan lettes and track using various excel spread sheets and putting them into Lotus Notes-Trail Tracker, Filing various items.
My co-workers are freindly and helpful if you need help or have a question.
Hardest part of my job is keeping up with all the paper work and make sure it is filed.
Most enjoyable part of the job is having some nice people to work with.
Pros
good, benefits, flexable working hours, close to home
Cons
not enough time in the day to get things done, not a supportive managment system
Terrible Management
Contract Management (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJuly 24, 2015
This was the absolute worst position I have ever had. Management talked about people, treated people unfairly, played "favorites" and provided little to no feedback unless it was putting you down. The turn-around for employees was terrible, a total revolving door. Very long work days and unreasonable hours, which didn't matter to management. Some people we're able to work from home others we're told no with no explanation. The only plus was having decent co-workers that we're looking out for each other.. including helping each other leave this place!
Pros
Co-Worker's
Cons
Childish Management, Long Days
a family oriented work environment
Lab Animal Technician III (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAApril 8, 2013
a typical work day consist of lab animal health checks, data entry, written logs, feeding of the animals, cage cleaning and changing. I learned to advance in each level of the job.I often travel alot with the company to different states to perform work. My co-workers were fun,exciting and very helpful which worked out great for me because I am a peoples person. The hardest part of the job was sometimes long extended hours. The most important and enjoyable part was my passion for animal science and research.
Pros
travel
Cons
plant closings
Only work here if you need the money and it is your last resort.
Research Tech (Former Employee) –  Evansville, In.October 21, 2012
This was the worst company I have ever worked for. There was totally no structure, poor managers, no training process for new employees. If you are looking for a life balance job, do not work here. This job will be your life. Management is grandfathered in and most of them have minimal college degrees to be in a management position. 90% of them do not need to be a manager.
Cons
almost everyday i never got a lunch, worked over 8 hours each day, never had a schedule of work hours until usually the day before and then it would change.
Terrible place to work
Stationary Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, INAugust 6, 2015
I worked in powerhouse for 13 years. The last 3 after Covance took over were the worst three years I have ever had. Supervisor was unqualified and played serious favorites. Several employees needed to be reigned in, but never were. Work load was never fairly distributed. Personal confrontation was the norm and seemed to be encouraged. Just an all around terrible experience under Covance. Before Covance powerhouse was a great place to work.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Supervisor, narcissistic fellow employees, good old boy system

Want to know more about Covance?

Ask a question
The people who work there are awesome...the management, not so much.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 1, 2015
Covance is NOT a bad company to work for. It is the negative environment fostered by the VP at the California site that makes working there less than desirable. The dysfunction becomes apparent when you discover that there are no written training materials for administrative staff. The CEO is fine. It's the vice president's micro-management that needs addressing.
Pros
Compensation is great!
Cons
Work environment and micromanagement by the VP are major issues.
Work extremely hard, and play hard!
Miration Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI,January 16, 2015
My typical day at work as the Team Lead involved every aspect of rolling out over 3,500 win7 computers. Scheduling with project managers, leading best scheduling bets time , as not to interupt production.

Metoring the Techs, dealing upset clients, managers, etc. I olisten, and offer solutrions,not excuses.
Pros
freedom to run my crew, cross training and also placing to naturally strng player in the correct roles.
Cons
high security making it sometime difficlt to perform you duties, locked doors, etc.
Interesting work...terrible management
Live Phase research (Former Employee) –  GreenfieldJanuary 21, 2014
Very interesting work, however like stated before, unless you are a yes man that does not think for themselves, you will not advance in the company nor will management reward you for your efforts. Toxicology has the same management as before the plant site acquisition in 2008 and the cliques of leaders along with the 'quantity of quality" motto ends up creating a workplace high in drama and employee confrontation.
Pros
compensation, fast paced
Cons
management, no room for advancement
Childish management. Unprofessional.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 5, 2014
This is the usual "businesspeople out of their depth" workplace. They depend on experts and professionals for the job while simultaneously resenting them and creating obstacles for everyone to do their jobs effectively.

*warning* this company follows the management style of Jack Welch and encourages often firings of the professional staff. Do not relocate your family for this company.

Recent changes in salary makes Covance uncompetitive with other CROs.
Pros
high expertise
Cons
management
Poor Management, High Turn Over, No Structure
Study Management (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TexasJuly 15, 2012
First of all the pay is very low for the amount of work and the lack of work-life balance. Turn over is very high, I was there for 1 year and they fired 7 people. There isn't an, "on-boarding process", they expect you to learn as you go without any real training process or support, if you make any mistakes you are a moving target. Oh and they will have your cell phone # and won't hesitate to call you day or night for anything.
Cons
bad benefits, overtime required, no training, stress
Great Benefits but poor managment
Building Supervisor/ Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Alice, TXMay 14, 2014
Overall my experience working for Covance inc was a mixture of positive and negative. Management does well to put you into a position to not fall but not much training is provided when you are placed into a more demanding job position.
Pros
great benefits / yearly raises and bonuses /
Cons
poor training once a promotion is given. office polotics dominate the work force, if your not good friends with the management promotion is difficult to get.
Worst place to work
LVN (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 21, 2014
It is the worst job I have ever had!! Management is corrupt starting with the Clinical Director to the clin op supervisors. There is blatant discrimination and favoritism. HR is just as bad, pay increases are extremely low, for a good evaluation I was given a .08% increase.
You are over-worked and unappreciated, you cant have a life because your schedule is constantly rotating and subject to change at any moment. I would not send my worst enemy there!!!
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
corrupt management including hr
don't do it
management (Former Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 21, 2014
Poor training, often played the blame game, fired hard working employees, allowed 2 specific employees to use physical force against other employees. Management set by and allowed them to mistreat other people because they "were the only people that knew how to do their job". Allowed certain employees to steal product and sell it, forged federal paperwork and inventory documentation to meet sales quota.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
culture of discrimination, physical abuse, and favoritism
Fun atmosphere, Positive and Friendly Environment
Program Specialist Medical Insurance Researcher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 9, 2013
A typical day at work is processing applications and making/receiving inbound and outbound calls. Work is basic; phone coverage, processing applications on the computer, calling insurance companies to obtain medical and prescription benefits for patients.
Pros
food day team members
Cons
schedules were never the same, employees were always changed to diferent positions in matter of weeks.
Randstad Temp Agency
ITC Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, IndianaOctober 23, 2014
I love the job! There is a lot of training for this position because they use the Seibel computer program for data entry. The biggest problem is that we didn't have instructions from our supervisor. I was trained and coached by employees from the San Diego Campus. The program I was on was new so my team members and supervisors were all learning the same material at the same time.
Pros
on site cafeteria
Cons
not being able to talk to managers or supervisors.