Covance Employee Reviews

Productive, helps to grow in carrer
consultant (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJJanuary 6, 2016
Good Work culture. Very challenging environment and gives an exposure to learning.

Got good exposure in Health Care systems and ETL testing
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
NONE
Meh
Associate Analytical Chemist III (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 4, 2016
First job out of college. Wasn't a bad job but wasn't a good job either. They work you like a dog and the pay isn't great. Friends currently say it's rough to work there now
fun place to work treated temp employees like regular employees
Accounts Payable Associate (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJDecember 30, 2015
Nice working environment, willing to train employees so they are comfortable in doing their job. Flexible in working hours. Atmosphere was like one big family.
Pros
No one was not excluded from activities whether you were a regular employee or a contractor
Cons
A/P department was outsourced
Questionable Management
drug safety (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 29, 2015
Upper management does not listen to line members when it comes to concerns about line managers. As long as the numbers looks good they dont care how the line managers are. My manager continually plays favorites and flat out lies to the newer employees. If one of the associates does something wrong its somehow the assistants fault. And she does not use the assistants as the job description. We are used as file clerks and assistants to the associates. Again this has been voiced to upper management several times to to avail. But this is just in my little area of the company. I hear other divisions work better...wish i was in one of them.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
DSS upper management does not listen to line members
answering phones, data entry,
data entry (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDDecember 21, 2015
The manger would have favorite certain people, if you where a temp then you where treated as if you where a temp and you could get fired any day. They like to over hirer people make people move seat like once a week or sometime once month and then didn't have enough seat for everyone.
verry nice place to work
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, INDecember 15, 2015
I did inbound and outbound calls, insurance investigations etc. Calling Dr office patients it was a nice place to work quite interesting as well.
Pros
very organized place
Cons
short breaks
The people who work there are awesome...the management, not so much.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 1, 2015
Covance is NOT a bad company to work for. It is the negative environment fostered by the VP at the California site that makes working there less than desirable. The dysfunction becomes apparent when you discover that there are no written training materials for administrative staff. The CEO is fine. It's the vice president's micro-management that needs addressing.
Pros
Compensation is great!
Cons
Work environment and micromanagement by the VP are major issues.
It ws a productive and fun workplace
Interim Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 7, 2015
Calling drug companies, doctor's office and patients regarding their accounts. Then verifying with patient's insurance if covered. Supervisor and co-workers worked together. The work environment was enjoyable.
Pros
free lunches
Loved wortking here
Clinical Data Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 17, 2015
I loved working at Covance. I learned a lot about the clinical trials that take place in order for medicine to be approved by the FDA. I loved my job.
Pros
Learning all about clinical trials and medicine
Cons
Our department was closed.
Fast paced environment
Sample Management Specialist I (Current Employee) –  West Trenton, NJOctober 7, 2015
Very busy and attention to detail is a must. there is always overtime available. Working with numbers all day and can be easy to make mistakes.
Great Company to work for.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJSeptember 28, 2015
I enjoyed supporting the Vice President and her management team. Day to day supporting the VP included Expense Vouchers, Domestic and Foreign travel. Utilizing Microsoft office suite. Managing a complex calendar scheduling.
Benefits
Cons
Constant turnover with management
Balanced if you make work your life.
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, wiSeptember 26, 2015
The only pro to working here are the benefits! They are amazing. I worked here for 7 years however and was overworked and underpaid every day. I worked anywhere from 50 to 60 hours a week and was always guilted to take on more work. I even pulled two 24 hour shifts before!!! They preech work/life balance, but the only way to have a work/life balance is to make work your life. There were several divorces of people who worked here and even my relationship was shakey until I left. They do year end reviews and that is what your raise was based on, however it is all politics and howuvh your supervisors liked you. I loved my Co workers and the job, but the hours and politics where rediculous. Great for a college grad looking for some experience, but I can't see it as a long term job unless you want to be married to your job.
Pros
Benefits, 401k, a few events throughout the year
Cons
To many hours, supervisors are clueless
Very Diverse
Program Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDSeptember 22, 2015
The co workers and other agents are very friendly. The company has made alterations and improvements to the working enviroment. This has made work more enjoyable.
Potential to be a great company but fall extremely short
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 8, 2015
Working for this company, as a call center employee, is very trying. You're often left in the dark on most things because the management is extremely unorganized, reactive instead of proactive and very unprofessional. The culture is very depressing and promotes back-stabbing, lies and unprofessionalism. They're also all about the numbers instead of the quality of work. As long as you're fast and don't care about the errors you make, you'll make it here! There is a very high turnover rate due to having the majority of the staff being contingent workers. At the same time, they also have direct hires.

There is a definite disconnect between how direct hire and contingent workers are treated in the workplace. They've gone as far as to blame their shortcomings on meeting deadlines and workloads on having so many contingent workers and somehow no one seemed to be able to pinpoint that there wouldn't be problems maintaining the workload if they'd staffed and managed that staff appropriately to meet the demand. Management takes no fault in their own shortcomings. Instead, they load off all blame to their contingent staff when they have permanent staff that can't manage their way out of a case if you gave them a step-by-step guide for each certain scenario. They'll fire a set of contingent workers while having a new set of contingent workers coming in the next week and wonder why they can't get good quality and consistent work across the board with all employees. While they'll let go of the quality contingent workers that they have, they'll directly hire and keep terrible
  more... employees that, if they were contingent, would've been terminated 3 months in.

Working with many in the office can be a gratifying experience but the majority can be very unpleasant. There is definitely a great amount of office politics and it's played very well by the management. It's also often promoted and the management definitely "plays favorites" and it shows when people who have incredibly inconsistent and terrible quality of work get promoted to higher positions. There's also a definite bias towards female employees shown over male employees.

There is definitely room for growth if you're great at playing office politics and know how to get on the good sides of the right people and happen to be female or a hot guy. If you value showing good work ethic, quality work over the quantity and working with good, genuine people with great management that shows care and respect for ALL of their employees, I'd stay away. There are much better places to work and they also pay better.
Pros
Opportunity for tons of valuable experience and growth if you're in the right program
Cons
Depressing environment and culture. Terrible management from the top down. Unprofessional.
Caring company, friendly environment
Specialist, Global Document Review Lead (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 18, 2015
The people in the Nashville office are friendly. You will find a variety of ages and ethnicities. It's casual and professional all at the same time! Covance itself cares about people and how Covance can make a difference in this world.
Terrible place to work
Stationary Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, INAugust 6, 2015
I worked in powerhouse for 13 years. The last 3 after Covance took over were the worst three years I have ever had. Supervisor was unqualified and played serious favorites. Several employees needed to be reigned in, but never were. Work load was never fairly distributed. Personal confrontation was the norm and seemed to be encouraged. Just an all around terrible experience under Covance. Before Covance powerhouse was a great place to work.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Supervisor, narcissistic fellow employees, good old boy system
Productive and Helpful work environment
Program Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, INAugust 6, 2015
Productive work environment with helpful associates and supervisors. Everyone is able to work as a team in a calm, collect environment.
Terrible Management
Contract Management (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJuly 24, 2015
This was the absolute worst position I have ever had. Management talked about people, treated people unfairly, played "favorites" and provided little to no feedback unless it was putting you down. The turn-around for employees was terrible, a total revolving door. Very long work days and unreasonable hours, which didn't matter to management. Some people we're able to work from home others we're told no with no explanation. The only plus was having decent co-workers that we're looking out for each other.. including helping each other leave this place!
Pros
Co-Worker's
Cons
Childish Management, Long Days
Good for a starter job.
Analytical Chemist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 8, 2015
This is a nice place to work for a starter job, to get your feet wet. A very high turnover rate. No chance for advancement. Also ways new management and employees.
Pros
Monthly Outings in an atempt to keep everyone sane and happy.
Cons
They expect you to give up your life outside of work.
Acceptable
Program Representative (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 18, 2015
I would recommend this company to anyone that is in need of a job but not necessarily for advancement or room for growth. It is a great job if you are looking to maintain a stable job with no room for advancement. Busy environment and multi-tasking are daily necessities.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Short lunch breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Covance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6