Covanta Energy Employee Reviews in United States

This place is a joke.....
Crane operater (Former Employee) –  Montgomery County, MDFebruary 23, 2016
I was fired from covanta Montgomery as a crane operator by management who took their little cronies word about things they never bothered to investigate on their own..... This place is not the place to be if you can't fit in....
Pros
Pay...benifits
Cons
Everything else you can imagine about an employer....
shifty place to work for. no life feel like a slave
welder mechanic (Current Employee) –  Wareham massSeptember 16, 2015
the management is a joke they don't know their but from their elbow. employees are always being threatened with their job. there's no personal life they want you to give and you get nothing in return. It feels like a jail sentence. They talk a good game about safety but when the time comes safety goes out the door. This place is the Kmart of power plants!!!!. If you don't mind working with led arsenic cadmium then this is for you
Pros
good 401k
Cons
everything else looking for a job now
Excellent team without competitive salary
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morristown, NJFebruary 1, 2016
The people, work and growth are all exceptional, but not if you are seeking a lucrative career. This is a very supportive group of individuals and the innovative leader in waste to energy. Growth expected internationally, but not in terms of operations. Operations is a bit of a dinosaur and the corporate culture prohibits a lot of growth here. On the other hand, the individuals working here are very competent, supportive and genuinely interested in improving everything around them, whether it is colleagues or fine tuning processes. The company/corporate structure limits both internal growth and problem-solving. Overall, working here was enjoyable and I fully support those I worked with as they are talented professionals who are simply limited by the culture in which they work. I do recommend working here for the experience.
Inconsistant Management
Instrument electrical technician (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 7, 2016
I enjoy what I do. I have always said if i was not doing my job for Covanta I would be doing it for someone else.
Recently there have been several changes in the management staff. Due to these many inconsistencies it has made for a very hostile work environment, and the employees retaining a Collective Bargaining Unit (IBEW Local 11)
I spend my day working on the many challenges of an aging facility but enjoy the many opportunities it provides. I work on many different types of machinery i.e. cranes, conveyors, pumps, and many types of instrumentation all keeping the work day full and interesting.
Pros
Being an important part of a diverse maintenance team
Cons
Unsettled Management
Fast paced and demanding, good pay, time off
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIJuly 9, 2016
Work is fast paced and changes moment to moment handling 2 different technology boilers. Unfortunately with all the cooperate down sizing going on it has left Covanta in Kapolei employees with a large work load and not enough personnel potentially creating a not so safe work environment. The Shift supervisors in particular are performing the duties of 2 supervisors and are over taxed and stretched thin. The company has good benefits and time off, with plenty of room for advancement. They do work hard and it can be demanding but long term you can make a career out of it.
Pros
Good pay, time off and benefits
Cons
Work load can be demanding especially for shift supervisors
Fun and energetic work place.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haverhill, MAApril 20, 2016
This was my first job that I loved. I didn't just go to work for them, they also came to work for me. Working with a company like that is very hard to come by. My typical day was always busy but I loved every second of it! I learned so much from everyone and what made it even more great is they wanted to teach me, they wanted to better better my knowledge and I never even had to ask! I couldn't be more thankful. There was never a day I didn't want to be there or around my co-workers. I wouldn't say there was anything specific that was hard about my job or the title that I held. Challenging? Yes! That only makes the job worth it though!
Great Company
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 26, 2016
Sometimes the work is hard and difficult, but the safety culture makes up for it. There are times when management can be difficult but here are others where management is very easy to get along with. Promotions come with time, generally personnel move on with the company as they move up.. Benefits are excellent and wages are great. You learn, you will move up, they us operations personnel to move up and fill positions during vacations, etc. Great company to work for.
Pros
Wages, stability, etc.
Cons
Hard work during outages.
Covanta
Project / Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FloridaSeptember 2, 2015
I think Covanta is a very good Company to work for and provides a stable foundation for any employee.

In my situation I feel I am not being utilized for my expertise.
Pros
Salary. Benefits
Cons
Long hours of back breaking labor
Auxiliary Operator (Current Employee) –  Lorton, VAMarch 12, 2016
Long hours of back breaking labor in a plant that is falling to pieces where the daily struggles of "making it work" are only outweighed by the physical abuse put on your body at fairfax location
Continuous improvement, high vision
Operating Engineer / Power Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
Very good place to work where employees integration and professional development are maximized. A typical day is always oriented on personnel safety that management encourages and regularly enhances, which supports each one of us. The hardest part of the job is you cannot lose your focus even one time, but it is nice to be part of a team where you learn from each other to establish solutions.
Spree of outsourcing
Sr. Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Morristown,NJFebruary 9, 2016
Laying off the entire teams, no leadership, the dynamics keep changing everyday, no bonus, the senior management informed no plans for outsourcing in November and laid off the entire team in February.
Pros
No pros to work at Covanta
Cons
The list is big and it cant fit here :)
Well run company
Administrative Assistant / HR Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  Rahway, NJJuly 14, 2016
Enoyed working there and the employees. I especially appreciated the community service that was paramount. I felt challenged with every task I completed.
Covanta
Confined Space Attendant (Former Employee) –  MichiganMay 12, 2016
Really enjoyed working here taught me to work hard and work long 12 hours shifts. I picked up wood and metal when I had down time.
hard work in a dusty hot dirty inviorment
I&E TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  CAApril 19, 2012
morning meeting then work orders are passed out, lots of dirt and ash on everything. this is because of the 2, seven story boilers that burn municiple waste (garbage) to boil water that makes steam that turns a turbin to produces electricity that is sold to PG&E. the work is dificult and there is a lot of required overtime and you are required to be on call but the hardest part of the job is being able to work with the recent change in managment it was a complete change from plant manager and cheif engineer and maintenance manager. this change in managment has created disaray in the maintenace and electrical departments.
Pros
close to home, compensation
Cons
clear comunication, management support, management inexpierence.
Hard, Hot, and Unforgiving
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Chester, PAJuly 16, 2013
what can I say Murphy's Law lives here!!!!!!!! The work environment is brutal working in extreme Heat (up wards to 140+ degrees, to of course the most extreme cold mother nature in the area provides) and the Company does NOT provide the equipment needed to keep you cool or warm. While I worked there I picked up a lot of skills but had to fight tooth and nail to learn. (only "certain" People would be sent for training). the management worst I ever had. only reason I stayed so long is cause the economy sucked. Co-workers lets see like most the People are good fun loving people being driven to despair by the Management teams. the hardest part of the job is tiptoeing around the finger pointers, back stabbers, and the pets as it were. the best part was the amount of overtime. never lacking.
Pros
overtime, and call in. vaction time tha you can get while there
Cons
benifits are going away pay more get less, managment teams will use you as a cape goat instead of protecting y ou
Great company to begin your career with
Assistant Shift Engineer (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLJuly 18, 2014
Days are 12 hours. 2 on, then 2 off. 5 on, then 5 off. Night shift changes every 2 weeks.

Duties include crane operations, equipment inspections and monitoring, trash burning equipment, plant operations, water treatment chemistry, welding, various plant projects as needed and assisting control room operations.

Shift team works together and is dependent on one another. Must be quick to assess situations and work well under pressure.

Difficult areas for this position is working around boiler systems with high temperature heat indexes.

Enjoyable areas are co-worker bonds, completing assigned tasks successfully, and the work week schedule.
Pros
benefits, such as vacation time
Cons
working in high heat areas
my boss was very nice
Facility Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJanuary 31, 2016
my boss was very nice to work with, but it is a top heavy company. the company offered many family events, employees were appreciated that.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
health care
Covanta Energy helps communities generate energy from waste
Front End Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VAOctober 29, 2015
- Great place to work and start a career
- You can start from the bottom and work your
way up to administration
- Covanta Energy is 100% safety first
- Great hours
Pros
overtime every week
Great Job
Plant Technician/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Preston CtApril 10, 2014
Typical days work involved routine cleaning and grounds keeping of facility. equipment inspections/operation. heavy equipment operation <FEL> mostly. Waste inspections, crane operations.

learned a great deal about refuse to energy plant operations and maintenance.

co-workers were great but sometimes unmotivated.

This job always threw curve balls and kept it interesting. always a new puzzle to solve.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
very dirty/ health risks
Poor plant maintenace causes extremely difficuly operation
Shift Supervisor- Direct (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls NYJanuary 21, 2014
Poorly maintained facility, management focused on appearance rather than solutions to problems. Very stressful working environment due to constant and overwhelming plant casualty conditions. Good people to work with, good teamwork.
Pros
descent pay/benifits
Cons
poorly maintained, stress, no managment accountability

2.9