Covanta Energy

Covanta Energy Employee Reviews

Excellent team without competitive salary
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morristown, NJFebruary 1, 2016
The people, work and growth are all exceptional, but not if you are seeking a lucrative career. This is a very supportive group of individuals and the innovative leader in waste to energy. Growth expected internationally, but not in terms of operations. Operations is a bit of a dinosaur and the corporate culture prohibits a lot of growth here. On the other hand, the individuals working here are very competent, supportive and genuinely interested in improving everything around them, whether it is colleagues or fine tuning processes. The company/corporate structure limits both internal growth and problem-solving. Overall, working here was enjoyable and I fully support those I worked with as they are talented professionals who are simply limited by the culture in which they work. I do recommend working here for the experience.
my boss was very nice
Facility Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJanuary 31, 2016
my boss was very nice to work with, but it is a top heavy company. the company offered many family events, employees were appreciated that.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
health care
Continuous improvement, high vision
Operating Engineer / Power Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
Very good place to work where employees integration and professional development are maximized. A typical day is always oriented on personnel safety that management encourages and regularly enhances, which supports each one of us. The hardest part of the job is you cannot lose your focus even one time, but it is nice to be part of a team where you learn from each other to establish solutions.
enjoyed working here withh all the staff
Heavey equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Oxford, NJNovember 24, 2015
i loved working here and working with all the heavy equipment. i loved working with the staff who made me laugh and enjoy my job more and more.
Pros
great pay
Covanta Energy helps communities generate energy from waste
Front End Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VAOctober 29, 2015
- Great place to work and start a career
- You can start from the bottom and work your
way up to administration
- Covanta Energy is 100% safety first
- Great hours
Pros
overtime every week
Work depends on time of year
Utility Operator (Former Employee) –  West Wareham, MASeptember 17, 2015
The co workers made the work place fun. Actual work isn't all that great( must enjoy working in trash). Most days are 8 hours long. Unless something goes wrong in operations. Then maxed work day will/ could be 16 hours. Management is mostly "organized mess".
Pros
Showers
Cons
hot summer day
shifty place to work for. no life feel like a slave
welder mechanic (Current Employee) –  Wareham massSeptember 16, 2015
the management is a joke they don't know their but from their elbow. employees are always being threatened with their job. there's no personal life they want you to give and you get nothing in return. It feels like a jail sentence. They talk a good game about safety but when the time comes safety goes out the door. This place is the Kmart of power plants!!!!. If you don't mind working with led arsenic cadmium then this is for you
Pros
good 401k
Cons
everything else looking for a job now
Covanta
Project / Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FloridaSeptember 2, 2015
I think Covanta is a very good Company to work for and provides a stable foundation for any employee.

In my situation I feel I am not being utilized for my expertise.
Pros
Salary. Benefits
Cons
Not a healthy environment, terrible overall conditions
Industrial Painter/Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 26, 2015
I worked for this company for almost 3 years. Look elsewhere for a job if you value your mental and physical health. This plant has been running light on staff which means for shift workers, odd shifts for an already difficult 12 hour day/night rotation. I was a regular 8 hour five day a week employee but regularly filled in doing many of the other job tasks. The workers are not happy with the management or ethics.
Pros
Good pay and bennifits
Cons
Pay doesn't outweigh the bad health conditions and negativity
Poor Local Leadership
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu,HIJune 18, 2015
A lot of back stabbing at this organization. I got ambushed a couple of times by the Warehouse Manager and the Controller
Pros
A few of the staff
Cons
lacking team work and everyone seems to be unhappy all the time
Current employee
A.O. (Current Employee) –  FLMay 21, 2015
The short and sweet of it is that this IS the Walmart of the power industry.
The catch phrase I can not get out of my head about this company is "save money, help the CEO live better".

I have been in the power industry for more than 15 years, this is the worse outfit I've seen to date.
I use to work as a temp in my youth at various different plants and have taken notice to many other companies as I learned about their working culture, to date, not even the worse of the other companies were hyped up to be as bad as this poorly managed company has lived up to being.

If you do not mind being lied to and treated in fairly unjust ways such as borderline human rights issues (of which I will be pursuing investigation on due to the nature of nonsense and culture of fear that has successfully been installed into my coworkers) then this might be the place for you.
Oh, if you don't mind working in consistent fear of losing your job if you speak up, then you should apply.

In closing, you would likely be doing yourself a favor by waiting for the next opportunity to come along.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
everything else! seriously, this company is managed like a bunch of amateurs.
Great Company
Shift Supervisor / Step-up Chief Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bristol CTMay 19, 2015
Covanta is a great company. They treat the employees with respect and have loyalty. I've learned how to be a great problem solver and be a better person. I have learned the true meaning of teamwork and loyalty.
Nice work environment and team
CRM Consultant (Current Employee) –  Morristown, NJMay 13, 2015
it was nice work environment and good team.
i always prefer to work with this team and learned many new things in this project.
worse place i ever worked
shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  pittsfieldJanuary 23, 2015
first off, dont let the money fool you,,covanta sucks, you are over worked, given impossible tasks that you are set up to fail at because management has only one thing in mind,, their bonus,, the work enviroment is the worse,, place is dirty stinks of garbage and dead rat .the air quality is poor that you work in,,all kinds of cancer causing dust, management will threaten you with termination for the any kind of mistake that you make,, they treat there workers like slaves,, , yea there is overtime,, but its mandatory, they loose people and it takes forever to get a replacement,,, ive see guys work 15 days straigh nights,, one day off and back at it for another ten days,, no relief,, moral is the worse there,, the men are stressed to the max, covanta just loves to set one standard for workers but management has another,, they break rules to suit them but you do it you get written up,, they break state laws,they have un-licensed people operating at there plants, only good thing i can say about that place,,is the guys are a bunch of great guys,,its just too bad that covanta treats them like a dog,,
Very Great Enviroment
COMBO PIPEFITTER WELDER OF ALL KINDS (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 21, 2015
-Very Neat
-Very Interested
-Great Co-Workers
-ECONOMIZERS
-FEED WATER HEATERS
Pros
free lunches, great overtime
Great experience
IT Consultant - Client Computing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Morristown, NJJanuary 15, 2015
Awesome people for the most part. Ended up leaving for a higher paying job.
Fast paced, fun productive work days
Auxiliary Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Babylon, NYJanuary 8, 2015
typical day includes daily jobs,inspections, logs, LOTO procedures. Learning the importance of safety in every aspect. working under a management team with a great group of co-workers.
Process and operating equipment
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Kapolei, HIJanuary 6, 2015
My typical work day consist of operating loaders, dozers, mules and forklifts. The majority of the day I am operating loaders and dozers. I have learned a lot from my company like how to operate heavy equipment and also to service them. I have also learned how to operate the control room and to read gages. The most enjoyable thing about my job is always learning new things and how we can benefit our company.
Great company to work for
Control Room Operator / STEP UP Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 16, 2014
Great place to has a great safety record and care about employees
Pros
pay is great
Cons
traffic issue everyday
Decent place to work
Mobile Equipment Mechanic/Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDDecember 7, 2014
Not a bad place to work considering the environmental situations you deal with.