Covanta Employee Reviews

Covanta is a very conscientious employer and strives to maintain a work balance that proves to be of benefit to all.
Facility Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Enfield, MEFebruary 7, 2017
I feel privileged to have worked for Covanta for nearly 10 years. It was through unfortunate economic conditions that I was laid off. In truth, I knew the job change from Florida to Maine might be somewhat risky from comments received from Management, but am not disappointed in having expanded my Safety background and enjoying the added responsibilities. .
Pros
Very open/honest with employees and excellent benefits
Cons
the shift work associated with 24-7 operations
Great service provided to the environment but not to employees
Management Position (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HINovember 12, 2016
The turning of community waste into electricity while thoroughly cleaning the exhaust air and extracting recyclable metal is a terrific service. However, over taxing the management employees and working the hourly employees too many hours is certainly not.

The corporate offices are overstaffed and my experience was that they are not as professionally staffed as the facilities.
Pros
Robust pay & benefits and the strongest corporate driven safety program I have experienced
Cons
Too many demands and a defunct bonus system
Fast paced and demanding, good pay, time off
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIJuly 9, 2016
Work is fast paced and changes moment to moment handling 2 different technology boilers. Unfortunately with all the cooperate down sizing going on it has left Covanta in Kapolei employees with a large work load and not enough personnel potentially creating a not so safe work environment. The Shift supervisors in particular are performing the duties of 2 supervisors and are over taxed and stretched thin. The company has good benefits and time off, with plenty of room for advancement. They do work hard and it can be demanding but long term you can make a career out of it.
Pros
Good pay, time off and benefits
Cons
Work load can be demanding especially for shift supervisors
Very fast paced job for IT with lots of projects
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJOctober 19, 2016
It is a very fast paced environment in which there are constantly new projects being worked on with the collaboration of many teams. It can be a very stressful environment. The benefits are really great.
Plenty of Overtime
Auxiliary Engineer (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 15, 2016
Plenty of opportunity to make lots of money if you don't mind working. Job can be boring and tedious at times. You are going to breath in ash and work in 100+ degree temperatures at times.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Can be boring at times especially working 12 hour shifts.
Great Company
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 26, 2016
Sometimes the work is hard and difficult, but the safety culture makes up for it. There are times when management can be difficult but here are others where management is very easy to get along with. Promotions come with time, generally personnel move on with the company as they move up.. Benefits are excellent and wages are great. You learn, you will move up, they us operations personnel to move up and fill positions during vacations, etc. Great company to work for.
Pros
Wages, stability, etc.
Cons
Hard work during outages.
I love my job at Covanta
Instrumentation, Controls and Electrical Tech (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 16, 2016
Overall great company to work for. The benefits are on par with the rest of the industry. Mostly friendly co-workers and management.
Pros
Challenging, Learning something everyday, Good pay
Cons
This place is a joke.....
Crane operater (Former Employee) –  Montgomery County, MDFebruary 23, 2016
I was fired from covanta Montgomery as a crane operator by management who took their little cronies word about things they never bothered to investigate on their own..... This place is not the place to be if you can't fit in....
Pros
Pay...benifits
Cons
Everything else you can imagine about an employer....
Great start into industry
Operational Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTJuly 17, 2016
Great starter plants for people wanting to get into the industry. The work is tough. You get out what you put in. You work with a lot of different types of people with varying levels of knowledge and experience in the field.
Pros
Great learning experience, dynamic environment, good management staff
Cons
Dangerous, dirty, long hours
Inconsistant Management
Instrument electrical technician (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 7, 2016
I enjoy what I do. I have always said if i was not doing my job for Covanta I would be doing it for someone else.
Recently there have been several changes in the management staff. Due to these many inconsistencies it has made for a very hostile work environment, and the employees retaining a Collective Bargaining Unit (IBEW Local 11)
I spend my day working on the many challenges of an aging facility but enjoy the many opportunities it provides. I work on many different types of machinery i.e. cranes, conveyors, pumps, and many types of instrumentation all keeping the work day full and interesting.
Pros
Being an important part of a diverse maintenance team
Cons
Unsettled Management
Productive and busy atmosphere
PLANT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Chester, PAFebruary 6, 2017
The job is a very fast paced environment.It has a lot of potential for growth after experience and proper training. It also has supervisors and management that will try to help you to get to the next level.
Enjoyed the work
Accounts Receivable/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jamesville, NYFebruary 17, 2017
I enjoyed the work. Management on the other hand was brutal. My immediate supervisor made it impossible to remain. I would have remained with this company had it not been so difficult to work for her.
Good People, Horrible Management
Auxillary Engineer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 22, 2017
164 Vice Presidents and counting. Really? Some of their job titles are head scratchers. Meanwhile, as they hire more top end management, the people that do the work see their bonuses disappear. Run!
long days and work weeks
Utility Operator (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 29, 2016
definitely a busy place to work at, if you love OT and don't mind constantly staying late and working through the weekends this is for you. I had good experience with management and employee's.
Pros
company gave back
Cons
unexpected OT
Dynamic and Ever Changing
Project Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 9, 2016
I have progressed as far as I can at the Indianapolis facility and seek more fast paced and challenging work.
My accomplishments have been many and I take great pride in developing and then building complete systems utilizing ever changing technology with a focus on safety and the ability to service the process upon completion
Pros
I work alone mostly
Cons
No room m for further advancement locally
Its a dirty place to work , which you are well compensated for.
Facilities Aesthetic Manager (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYJanuary 16, 2017
This company is a trash burning co. that produces power .Many skills that are needed are specific . A very high-teck place. As long as you do your job, and do it well, there are many perks from the company.
shifty place to work for. no life feel like a slave
welder mechanic (Current Employee) –  Wareham massSeptember 16, 2015
the management is a joke they don't know their but from their elbow. employees are always being threatened with their job. there's no personal life they want you to give and you get nothing in return. It feels like a jail sentence. They talk a good game about safety but when the time comes safety goes out the door. This place is the Kmart of power plants!!!!. If you don't mind working with led arsenic cadmium then this is for you
Pros
good 401k
Cons
everything else looking for a job now
Excellent
HR Intern Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJFebruary 12, 2017
This was a great place. Too bad I was just an intern this is definitely a place I would enjoy working at. Learned a lot of things, met fun and knowledgeable people.
Covanta is a good company to work for.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Delano, CAOctober 4, 2016
I started as a mechanic for Covanta and work my way to Maintenance Manager at the Delano facility. The facility was shut down after it lost its PPA. wish they would have put more effort in finding a new PPA.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
company was heavy to one side
Excellent team without competitive salary
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morristown, NJFebruary 1, 2016
The people, work and growth are all exceptional, but not if you are seeking a lucrative career. This is a very supportive group of individuals and the innovative leader in waste to energy. Growth expected internationally, but not in terms of operations. Operations is a bit of a dinosaur and the corporate culture prohibits a lot of growth here. On the other hand, the individuals working here are very competent, supportive and genuinely interested in improving everything around them, whether it is colleagues or fine tuning processes. The company/corporate structure limits both internal growth and problem-solving. Overall, working here was enjoyable and I fully support those I worked with as they are talented professionals who are simply limited by the culture in which they work. I do recommend working here for the experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Covanta. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8