Covenant House Employee Reviews

Very Disorganized
Social Work Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2017
Covenant House of New York is a very disorganized organization. There are a lot of communication issues that cause many problems. The work life balance is not that bad depending on what position you hold, but the salary is not strong, and there is no room for advancement. It can be very frustrating at times. There is support from upper management, but problems do not ever seem to get solved. Meetings are had, solutions are given, but that's where it seems to end.

There is a major disconnect among the different departments, and the corporate side of the organization has no idea what their employees actually do on a daily basis.
Cons
Salary, Upper Management, Communication
Non profit with low job security
Donation and Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 5, 2017
Enjoyed working with the youth of the community and the less fortunate is always a blessing. Connected with some high end people while doing so. Had the opportunity to make partnerships and network to create new sponsorships. Outreach on a daily basis and community assistance along the way. Built solid relationships both working and friendship.
Pros
Experience, community activist, outreach
Cons
No job security
They youth were productive!!
Case Manager/Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2016
I love working for Covenant House. They gave me the opportunity to engage the youth into their school work regardless of environmental chaos. Covenant House housed over thousands of homeless and rehabilitate them to become productive citizens. Most of these youth have no support from family and friends which is a challenge. However with time, medical support, counselors and family unification; their lives can turn around to triumph. At Covenant House there is work. You always on call because the need is there. Their staff maintain professional at all levels.
Pros
Free lunch and breakfast.
Cons
no breaks
not a good company to work for
Residential Compliance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 11, 2016
Poor leadership, Decision making skills sucks . Money is spent on un neccessary salaries not the youth. If they cut back on spending money on uncessary thing the would have enough money to pay for the things younth need
Pros
n/a
Cons
upper management
Do not value their Staff
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2017
Its not the clients that really give you the hard time. Its the upper management. The mission is what keeps most people going, however the organization does not provide incentives and seems to not value their staff.
Fun,Helpful and productive
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2016
The covenant House is awesome because they help families each and everyday without judgment. It was easy for me to work there because the staff is very welcoming. I love helping others.. The moto (Do Good and Good will come to you)
The fundraising department lack compassion for their staff.
Custormer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2016
I love raising funds for children but I do not believe that the management staff is not as considerate of their employees as they should be, and very few people stay longer than 6 months because of the management.
Pros
convenient for school
Cons
management need to be retrained in relations with staff
Homeless shelter for youth
Youth Outreach Counselor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 28, 2015
When i worked for the covenant house i worked third shift. My duties were to make sure the youth chorus were completed before going to bed. while the youth were sleep i had to make sure the girls and boys were not sneaking on one another side. i had to make sure they were up by 6 am every morning to eat breakfast, complete morning chorus and get their day started. The hardest part of my job was to make sure they took their medicine. Most enjoyable part of my job was having an impact on the lives of kids that were once homeless
Pros
mentoring
Prep cook
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 9, 2016
Come in prep food to be made for the day and clean my area and serve tray line for lunch and dinner.Then do it all over again the next day
Fun place while working with the young adults. VERY rough administration.
Residential Youth Advisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 3, 2015
Cons: Schedule always varies, no/little room for advancement, no breaks, vacation time is earned throughout the year, and administration does not like when you challenge authority or the "policies" that are nowhere to be located. Oh, and according to the Director of Finance and Administration/Human Resources - yes that is the title for one individual; can you say conflict of interest - you should practice your politic skills and masks for success within that company. Oh, and the training is HORRIBLE; you learn on your own and as you go. Remember to not ask questions just do as you're told and in five years, you may advance!

Pros: The youth, free lunches/dinners.

Honestly, best of luck to you if you're hired.
Very productive and enjoyable nonprofit organization.
Youth Advisor (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJNovember 13, 2015
If you like working with young adults this is the perfect job. The staff is very helpful and informative. Everyone works well as a team. Food provided is delicious. Top notch when it come to putting on special events. Very involved in the community and local government.
Caring for troubled youth is very hard
Assistant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FlAugust 27, 2015
The staff are amazing and really support personal/family situations that may arise. But there is so much turnover, organizational change, and inconsistency with the youth and staff that it leads to burnout.
Pros
Free meals, flexible, great staff-like family
Cons
Can lead to burnout and turnover because of constant changes, working throughout the year/holidays/weekends
productive learning environment
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2016
A typical day at work included Resident Advisor duties, dealing with the residents, and helping them succeed through the program.
family Doctors office
Team Clerk (Current Employee) –  philadelphiaJuly 9, 2015
Come into work, meet and help new patients, register them and make sure there insurance information is correct. I've learned how to call the insurance companies and verify the insurance. Management is Management.I have Awesome Co-Workers, the hardest part of my job is when the babies are crying after they get a needle. the most enjoyable part of my job is at 4:30 pm, that's when I get off.
Pros
I work at a Doctors office, medical benefits
Cons
medical insurance is expensive
Very fulfilling
Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2015
Great experience working with homeless youths. Gained great administrative and supervisory skills. Worked with a great team. The hardest part of my job was hearing the sad stories of the clients. The most enjoyable part was the success stories, when I got a call or a visit of how something I said or did made a positive behavioral change that propelled them on their way to success.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement
Okay overall
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 28, 2015
The work environment is challenging but rewarding. The management is in the middle of improvements so they will be better.
Very productive and life changing
Marketing Internship (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganSeptember 10, 2015
I worked with kids that didn't have anywhere to turn to. Covenant House gave they a second chance. We showed the kids different life skills to help them succeed in life. We also help them to get accepted to college.
n/a
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 3, 2015
I worked with homeless youth residents between ages sixteen and twenty two years old; Helped focused on sustainability, employment, and health.
fullfilling job helping less fortunate kids
Facilities Director (Current Employee) –  460west 41st street new york ny 10036February 22, 2013
Typical work day consists of scheduling my staff 0f approx 35 people
there tasks and their duties for the week. I have a great crew in engineering, maintenance, and housekeeping.The hardest part of the job is dealing with the residents. You have to understand where this kids are coming from and how anger they are to be homeless and hungry and cold. the enjoyable part is when you see a sucess story
come out of covenant house which does happen.
Pros
fun staff, great holiday get togethers
Cons
the commute and sometimes the hours
Enjoyable place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Trotwood, OHNovember 18, 2013
Typical day at work consisted of 1-2 halls to clean in nursing home. Each hall had 8 rooms. My manager at this job was very nice. He made our job feel like more than just a day to day job but, sometimes seemed like he didn'treally care about our job. My co-workers became very good friends of mine which I still keep in touch with two of them today. The hardest part of my job was becoming close to the residents and then them passing away. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to see all the residents everyday.
Pros
residents and co-workers
Cons
manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Covenant House. Our community is ready to answer.