Covidien Employee Reviews in United States

Team oriented with high quality standards
Quality Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee) –  North Haven, CTFebruary 15, 2016
A company committed to excellence in medical devices that incorporates total quality management in their research, manufacturing, and quality control. An employee friendly, team oriented environment with good benefits. Good opportunities for advancement.
Interesting job but work schedules and management was very erratic.
Chemist I (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 10, 2015
The company has been around for a VERY long time at the Saint Louis location. Initially, a different manager who hired me seem to have a more pleasant attitude and cared more for the employees. The regular manager was on long term disability and when he came back the morale went down the tubes. Long crazy 12 hour shift hours and very high turnover rate put the department into a state of chaos.
Pros
Decent starting salary and good benefits.
Cons
Management issues, new(old) manger reinstated 12 rotating shifts, which permitted NO life work balance for people with families.
Great place to work for
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLFebruary 23, 2016
A+++.
As far as my job it was always a challenge, in a good way, you never got bored, great pay and benefits.
Well, Covidien got bought by Medtronic and things are changing for better, I believe.
Pros
Great pay, great benefits
Cons
Managment
Top Notch Company!
Talent Acquisition Specialist/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 5, 2015
Not many Cons... Considering every company has their downfalls, Covidien (Now Medtronic) is an awesome organization and anyone should feel privileged to work for a company like them.
Pros
People, Benefits, Organization, Culture
Cons
LARGE COMPANY
Hourly pay is substantial but temporary work assignments that rarely lead to permanent positions.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CT.September 17, 2015
I worked for Covidien through temporary work assignments provided by Kelly Temp agency. The hourly pay was substantial, and overtime readily available, but lacked benefits and paid holidays. Also, work assignments lasted from 6 months to a year, and rarely lead to permanent positions, thus allowing the company to fix costs on labor without having to pay benefits to its employees. Otherwise the work environment is above average with a full service cafeteria on site.
Pros
Substantial hourly rate, On-site cafeteria
Cons
Few permanent positions, no benefits or Holiday pay.
TYCO Health Care
assembly production (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INNovember 16, 2015
Enjoyed working at Tyco heath care , great people and clean job great benefits . Learned very dangerous to work around liquid oxygen, Learned a lot about Lean manufacturing. The most enjoyable part of the job is they moved you around not doing the same thing every day
Pros
Clean place to work
covidien will be missed
Opex Lean Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seneca scNovember 16, 2015
Awesome place to work. everyone, everyone treated each other with respect. pay was good, benefits were also great. very simple process. unfortunately the facility was relocated to costa rica.
Pros
the people
Cons
Friendly co-workers; nice upper management. Gained may experiences while working for the company.
Production/Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 26, 2016
Friendly co-workers; nice upper management. Gained many experiences while working for the company. Faced difficult decision; learned by mistakes. The hardest part of the job was when the root cause of a symptom cannot be identified. Many parts have been replaced but the problem still not fixed, but enjoy trouble shooting, investigation, and evaluation of the problem.
Pros
Picnic tables, char-coal grillers; free lunches provided when goal achieved.
Cons
Vacation, most holidays day-off, appreciation for employees with 5-30 years of employment.
machanical set-up tech
machanical set-up tech (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLMay 21, 2016
Very stressful, and no help from supervisors or higher management personnel with issues concerning problems with materials, machines or other employees.
Did learn better trouble shooting skills and more mechanical experience. learned more basic electronic detect sensor adjustments.
Hardest part was trying to fix issues and having more than one person coming to you for issues and not liking it if you didn't drop what you are doing to fix theirs.
I did make several great friends that I will keep in contact with.
Stable and Interesting work place with Industry leading tech
Development Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTNovember 17, 2015
Work here consisted of designing tests, running them, and analyzing the data for use in engineering reports. There was nothing I particularly disliked about it other than the fact that it didn't match the high energy aspirations I had for a work place. The management seemed competent enough at a low level, although as typical for any large company, the upper management seems slightly disconnected.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Engineering moves slowly
Good place to work, and good benefits.
Accountant II (Former Employee) –  Seneca, SCDecember 29, 2015
When I got to work I would check the mail and distribute it in the mail slots.Then log into my email and answer emails received since the day before. In charge of the payroll, attendance, vacation hours, general accounting activities, month end task, reconciliations, Kronos, ComplianceWIre Training Administrator, office supply buyer, accounts payable issues, cost savings, JDE1, capital, fixed assets, and customer service activities. I learned many accounting skills while on this job. The management was good; however, we did not have managers too long before they were promoted. The hardest part was matching the fixed assets in the database to the actual asset. The most enjoyable was we were all like family and cared about each other. Overall a good company to work for.
meat grinder
Associate Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 27, 2015
6 to 7 days a week. no holidays. Demand is cyclic so when it slows down massive layoffs. all business no care for the people that work in manufacturing.
Pros
compensation is high
Cons
mana
find my work to be important
Associate II (Current Employee) –  Chicopee, MASeptember 8, 2015
it makes me feel that i am helping to assemble and package products that will help hospitals to use to assist in saving lives
Pros
learned the importance of the production of products to help save lives
Cons
compensation
The company has been sold to Medtronic
Supervisor of Credit (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MAJuly 27, 2015
Enjoyed working at Covidien for many years. I was able to acquire skills as a Supervisor in the Credit Department. The management team is very professional and supportive.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
outsourcing work to other countries has been challenging.
Productive, good place to work, they really care about their workers, lots of training, health check ups etc.
Production Operator 2 (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 12, 2016
A wonderful and interesting company to work for, the Surgical Dept. 757 was very interesting because they train you constantly how to make surgical instruments used in all the hospitals in the world.
Pros
Throw water balloons at Dept. Managers, Holiday Free Lunches, great employee benefits
Cons
driving to company site in a blizzard.
I wold still be there if company didn't sell.
Senior Laboratory technician (Former Employee) –  Lakeville, MNFebruary 16, 2016
They were committed to their employees. Performed a lot of different types analysis of medical devices. Also performed the environmental monitoring to clean room and ancillary systems. A typical day of work was filled with a job that I loved to go to. I enjoyed the variety of work that was given to me and the daily challenges that were given. My co-workers were great to work with and I felt that I had a good working team to work with
Pros
Clean organized lab, great people to work with.
Cons
Pay was low for type of lab work being done.
manufacturing and repairing medical equipment
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYNovember 23, 2015
Covidien is the manufacturer of medical products such as thermometers, feeding pumps and SCD circulation devices. The company moved to Colorado in 2011 and closed the doors in the Watertown plant The pay was great. There was advancement opportunities and training in several departments.
Pros
co-workers and management were great as well as pay
Cons
they closed
Great Place to work. The company has respectable benefits
MATERIAL SPECIALIST/ TRAINER/FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 20, 2016
The hours can vary with this company. Product and service are among the best in the business. The level of work can be difficult but worth every effort. Promise future with no interruption. Staff motivates for highest potential. Management brings the energy to another level
Human Resources Help Desk
AskHR Helpdesk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MAApril 7, 2015
A typical day at Covidien is to be ready to be logged on our phones in order to utilize excellent Customer Service skills in order to provide accurate answers to internal employees and external candidates. Record caller inquiries using PeopleSoft case management tool and TALEO.
I have learned the different systems such as the PeopleSoft case management tool; how to navigate through the systems in order to provide the accurate answer at all times.
The Management at Covidien was great, everyone was at the same page with any new information that came forwards to AskHR.
The hardest part of the job was answering calls from our internal employees stating that their spouse had passed away and will like to remove them from their benefits policy. Those were difficult calls but managed to provide the sympathy and customer service that the employee needed.
The most enjoyable part of the day was coming into work everyday knowing that you have a great team ready to answer any questions asked. The environment was also friendly.
Pros
The drive to work was good
Cons
The drive to work in snow were not so great.
Fabulous company, team environment, advancement opportunity
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 2, 2015
Really like my job of 13 years with Covidien. Great attitude, company, people, tasks, coaching and mentoring by HR Manager was a plus. The employees there were great!
Pros
Good benefits, career advancement, open door, Coaching by HR and Managers
Cons
Union shop for employees outside of Operations