Covidien Employee Reviews

Team oriented with high quality standards
Quality Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee) –  North Haven, CTFebruary 15, 2016
A company committed to excellence in medical devices that incorporates total quality management in their research, manufacturing, and quality control. An employee friendly, team oriented environment with good benefits. Good opportunities for advancement.
Interesting job but work schedules and management was very erratic.
Chemist I (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 10, 2015
The company has been around for a VERY long time at the Saint Louis location. Initially, a different manager who hired me seem to have a more pleasant attitude and cared more for the employees. The regular manager was on long term disability and when he came back the morale went down the tubes. Long crazy 12 hour shift hours and very high turnover rate put the department into a state of chaos.
Pros
Decent starting salary and good benefits.
Cons
Management issues, new(old) manger reinstated 12 rotating shifts, which permitted NO life work balance for people with families.
Great place to work for
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLFebruary 23, 2016
A+++.
As far as my job it was always a challenge, in a good way, you never got bored, great pay and benefits.
Well, Covidien got bought by Medtronic and things are changing for better, I believe.
Pros
Great pay, great benefits
Cons
Managment
Top Notch Company!
Talent Acquisition Specialist/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 5, 2015
Not many Cons... Considering every company has their downfalls, Covidien (Now Medtronic) is an awesome organization and anyone should feel privileged to work for a company like them.
Pros
People, Benefits, Organization, Culture
Cons
LARGE COMPANY
Hourly pay is substantial but temporary work assignments that rarely lead to permanent positions.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CT.September 17, 2015
I worked for Covidien through temporary work assignments provided by Kelly Temp agency. The hourly pay was substantial, and overtime readily available, but lacked benefits and paid holidays. Also, work assignments lasted from 6 months to a year, and rarely lead to permanent positions, thus allowing the company to fix costs on labor without having to pay benefits to its employees. Otherwise the work environment is above average with a full service cafeteria on site.
Pros
Substantial hourly rate, On-site cafeteria
Cons
Few permanent positions, no benefits or Holiday pay.
A good company with an organized approach to growing the business.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Home office at Hazelwood, MOAugust 18, 2016
I would say overall that Covidien was a good company to work for and I valued the time I was employed with them. New product development or quality co-promotions were lacking, as well as a realistic opportunity to maximize the comp plan. A very positive outcome from these challenges was a constant honing of my sales skills on a daily basis in order to deal with some of the objections and indifference I encountered in the field. Most of the products were rather old, expensive and often times needed prior authorization as they were positioned as brand/generic in most cases by changing the indication or dosage. Development of strong trusted relationships and solid sales skills were a must in my position.
Pros
A good good sized budget in order to develop and cultivate business relationships
Cons
Older products, lack of cutting edge newer products in the pipeline.
TYCO Health Care
assembly production (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INNovember 16, 2015
Enjoyed working at Tyco heath care , great people and clean job great benefits . Learned very dangerous to work around liquid oxygen, Learned a lot about Lean manufacturing. The most enjoyable part of the job is they moved you around not doing the same thing every day
Pros
Clean place to work
Very good
Q. C Technician (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTAugust 16, 2016
When I was perform the job there I was very good worker and get along with every one there. My boss always told me that I do a good job and helping out with the team .The culture was very good and clean enviroment. The manangement is very nice. My hardnest part of job was to deal with the situation and tried to solve the problems when there is a problems. I enjoyed work there because becauce I have agood team and every one are very nice. Ihad learned alots from my team work and I had a good leadership.
Pros
LUNCG IS VERY GOOD
Cons
HEALTH CARE IS VERY GOOD
covidien will be missed
Opex Lean Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seneca scNovember 16, 2015
Awesome place to work. everyone, everyone treated each other with respect. pay was good, benefits were also great. very simple process. unfortunately the facility was relocated to costa rica.
Pros
the people
Cons
Production Planner is a great opportunity
Production Planner (Current Employee) –  Camden, SCAugust 16, 2016
Analyzes production specifics and plant capacity data to determine manufacturing processes and tools. Plans and prepares production schedules for manufacture.
Manages production plan by scheduling and assigning personnel; accomplishing work results; establishing priorities; monitoring progress; revising schedules; resolving problems; reporting results of the processing flow on shift production summaries.
machanical set-up tech
machanical set-up tech (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLMay 21, 2016
Very stressful, and no help from supervisors or higher management personnel with issues concerning problems with materials, machines or other employees.
Did learn better trouble shooting skills and more mechanical experience. learned more basic electronic detect sensor adjustments.
Hardest part was trying to fix issues and having more than one person coming to you for issues and not liking it if you didn't drop what you are doing to fix theirs.
I did make several great friends that I will keep in contact with.
Productive, good place to work, they really care about their workers, lots of training, health check ups etc.
Production Operator 2 (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 12, 2016
A wonderful and interesting company to work for, the Surgical Dept. 757 was very interesting because they train you constantly how to make surgical instruments used in all the hospitals in the world.
Pros
Throw water balloons at Dept. Managers, Holiday Free Lunches, great employee benefits
Cons
driving to company site in a blizzard.
Friendly co-workers; nice upper management. Gained may experiences while working for the company.
Production/Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 26, 2016
Friendly co-workers; nice upper management. Gained many experiences while working for the company. Faced difficult decision; learned by mistakes. The hardest part of the job was when the root cause of a symptom cannot be identified. Many parts have been replaced but the problem still not fixed, but enjoy trouble shooting, investigation, and evaluation of the problem.
Pros
Picnic tables, char-coal grillers; free lunches provided when goal achieved.
Cons
Vacation, most holidays day-off, appreciation for employees with 5-30 years of employment.
Good place to work, and good benefits.
Accountant II (Former Employee) –  Seneca, SCDecember 29, 2015
When I got to work I would check the mail and distribute it in the mail slots.Then log into my email and answer emails received since the day before. In charge of the payroll, attendance, vacation hours, general accounting activities, month end task, reconciliations, Kronos, ComplianceWIre Training Administrator, office supply buyer, accounts payable issues, cost savings, JDE1, capital, fixed assets, and customer service activities. I learned many accounting skills while on this job. The management was good; however, we did not have managers too long before they were promoted. The hardest part was matching the fixed assets in the database to the actual asset. The most enjoyable was we were all like family and cared about each other. Overall a good company to work for.
Great Place to work. The company has respectable benefits
MATERIAL SPECIALIST/ TRAINER/FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 20, 2016
The hours can vary with this company. Product and service are among the best in the business. The level of work can be difficult but worth every effort. Promise future with no interruption. Staff motivates for highest potential. Management brings the energy to another level
Stable and Interesting work place with Industry leading tech
Development Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTNovember 17, 2015
Work here consisted of designing tests, running them, and analyzing the data for use in engineering reports. There was nothing I particularly disliked about it other than the fact that it didn't match the high energy aspirations I had for a work place. The management seemed competent enough at a low level, although as typical for any large company, the upper management seems slightly disconnected.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Engineering moves slowly
meat grinder
Associate Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 27, 2015
6 to 7 days a week. no holidays. Demand is cyclic so when it slows down massive layoffs. all business no care for the people that work in manufacturing.
Pros
compensation is high
Cons
mana
find my work to be important
Associate II (Current Employee) –  Chicopee, MASeptember 8, 2015
it makes me feel that i am helping to assemble and package products that will help hospitals to use to assist in saving lives
Pros
learned the importance of the production of products to help save lives
Cons
compensation
The company has been sold to Medtronic
Supervisor of Credit (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MAJuly 27, 2015
Enjoyed working at Covidien for many years. I was able to acquire skills as a Supervisor in the Credit Department. The management team is very professional and supportive.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
outsourcing work to other countries has been challenging.
Great place to work before Medtronic aquisition
HRIS Manager (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MAJune 17, 2016
Covidien was a great place to work before it was acquired by Medtronic. Covidien employees were treated like second class citizens. Our opinions did not matter because the only way was the Medtronic way. Glad I'm not there anymore!
Pros
Onsite Gym
Cons
Sold to Medtronic