Covidien Employee Reviews

Really a very unpleasant environment
Mechanical Specialists (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMay 10, 2015
Everyone was nice to work with except other mechanics it seem that most would talk real bad behind your back about you and then take credit for your repairs are worse sabotage your work.anything to make them self shine was there goal not to be a team player for the common goals of the company.and the hour were terrible.all they really care about is getting cases out the door and quality was an issue but over looked often.and machenery that should have been replaced long ago ask to repair and make production numbers consistently was the norm but dont make it happen and your bonus are every 16th day off is overlooked and there time keeping was terrible. Kronos what a joke if you work a 12hour shift most times you were given 4 points and for kronos to work correctly all plant clocks should be in sink but arent.and supervision wow they could care less as long as numbers are met they really should pay more attention to the mechanics who avoid working on a machine are shows up as soon as work has been completed by another mechanic.really hated that there are people like this hired and trusted as a quality mechanics.when your not a team player they hurt the company and other people they work with.with out remorse.production supervisors were a joke. most engineers were friendly and helpful.with a few exceptions.I WOULDN'T WANT MY KIDS TO FOLLOW IN MY FOOTSTEPS THATS FOR SURE.
Pros
NONE
Cons
HOURS.MANAGEMENT .HOSTILE EVIRONMENT.
Fast paced job that made day go by fast and people very easy to get along with.
Credit / Collections Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOJune 24, 2013
Every day was productive. Worked from reviewing new accounts to existing ones, set up credit lines, viewed their orders and also worked to help customers with any issues they had with our company. Also worked with sales reps to resolve any issues. Always new things to learn every day....which was good for me to expand my knowledge of all the internal process of our company. I worked well with co-workers. Can always work resolving issues by being a team player. I loved working with people. The hardest part of this job was when we started to do financials on customers and get them done within a certain time period for any large orders that came into the office. I have been in the credit department for over 20 years and love to actually do the calling and collecting part. Would like to find the same type of job but without doing the financial part......maybe in customer service department. Once I get a job down and its process, I like to organize it better so I can get more done in a day. I am a very devoted worker and will give you all I can in a days work. Always there and always on time.....actually like to get to work about 30 minutes early so I can settle in. They had a reduction in work force, so I was one in the large group to be left go.
Pros
company had onsite gym and many other things we could participate in.
Cons
just did not care for the stress in doing finanicals.
Was only fun during break time
Medical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNOctober 9, 2014
I worked Monday-Thursday 1st shift. I woke up at 3am every morning and worked til 2:45pm-a full 10 hour shift. Overtime was mandatory depending on situations, but it was almost all of the time. I'd go to work and punch in with my given badge and went straight to work at my assigned station. I stand mostly throughout the day washing and polishing small and flexible medical parts. Then I weigh them out on the electro scale to be sure that its the right weight according to station manual. I then pass it down for inspection, which is the station next to me. My co-workers were good to work with, there was never any issues, except for the fact that I couldn't understand my trainer's words due to his accent. The hardest part about this job was making my number or goal for the day because there are so much parts going back and forth due to extra cleaning and machine errors that occurred often. Standing all day long made it all the more frustrating. The only enjoying part of my job is when i get to sit down.
Pros
free lunch, monthly awards, gift cards, company health care programs and educational benefits
Cons
standing all day long, hard to understand co-workers at time due to accents, overtime hours occurred too much, 3am shift
Covidien, Boulder CO
Contract Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 20, 2012
Covidien in Boulder is a great place to have your first job out of College or if you are between jobs. There are many new graduates who gain experience from them. Covidien is a mixture of interns, new grads, some reg full time workers and many temp contractors who are employed by Kelly Services. They have a good balance of work and life. You can adjust your schedule and work at home online. Every good place also have a bad side too. About half of the people there are contractors. They even have a Kelly Service office in their building. If you are a contractor and receive a promise by recruter or employee that you will be hire in 6 months, a year, ect beware. Even if you are a hard worker, I have not seen anyone hired on when I was employed and when a project is done it seems like you are treated differently. There are some people who are reg employees who are supportive and try to help you out to find a job. They seen it happen many times and can't understand why the company does not hire them on. In 2012, Covidien is also going though downsizing with there new management to increase their stock value to make the holders happy. I would avoid them for contract work. Contractors are also not invited to company functions or recoginsed when a project is complete even though they were just as much part of the project and team.
Pros
good first job, flex schedule, work at home.
Cons
many contractors, high turn around, many changes
productive,quality ,safety,lean manufacturingteam work,great, place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Oriskany Falls, NYJune 13, 2012
Set up correct components for assemblers line,inspecting components for quality,ordering materials from warehouse per correct shop orders,order labels,send finished product off floor,document paperwork,use of pallet jacks,keeping inventory of product & components in dept.Work as a team ,offered my hands to asemblers when i had extra time.Helped them packout when they were short on their rates Made packers & cartons..Alot of multi-tasking ,Enjoyed my coworkers. Hardest part of job was truly not having enough floor space for product @ times-could be frustrating but i worked with it using good sence.The most enjoyable would be going home @ end of day knowing that a quality healthcare product went out the door and may save a life.We took pride in our work-it's not to say that errors were not made because sometimes they were but for the most part -it was caught before the product went off floor due to team work from all involved.
Pros
recognized for a job well done in all areas!
Cons
erogonomics & rotating employees on lines -could have been better to help people repitition injuries
This was an awesome company to work for.
Environment and Safety Technician/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Commerce, TXJuly 19, 2014
This was an awesome company to work for. I gave almost 30 years of service to this company. It is sad that they had to close their doors through this economic down turn.
Me & fellow co-workers were like a family. I miss them very much.
What I learned is equivalent to a doctors degree in Mechanical & Environmental Safety and the operating knowledge to sterilize medical products with radiation and gases.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with the very few accidents that came and the reporting to OSHA and making the environment safe to ensure another such incident did not happen again.
Day to day I would perform plant inspections on the interior and exterior of the facility. I would perform inspections on machine & equipment.
As a member of the Human resources team, I would also interact and make sure employees felt safe with the daily operations of their work environment. I also did needed mechanical repairs on machinery when needed.
I enjoyed my job very much. The most enjoyable part was interacting with co-workers.
Pay grade & advancement were constant. Great Insurance: Life, Medical, Vision, Dental. Great Vacation package. Great Sick or Personal day Package.
The only con is that the plant shut down. I was loyal until the end and beyond.
Pros
pay grade & advancement were constant. great insurance: life, medical, vision, dental. great vacation package. great sick or personal day package.
Cons
the only con is that the plant shut down. i was loyal until the end and beyond.
Worst employment experience I've had
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 23, 2012
I've worked six different corporate settings and my experience at Covidien was by far the worst. As I was hired as a part-time temp, they decided to change the number of hours I worked weekly. The management was awful and there was no training whatsoever (although they assure you when you're hired that you will be). Whenever I made a suggestion about improving work efficiency, I was shot down as if the managers were personally insulted. This place is by far the most toxic place I've ever worked in. Also, Covidien likes for their employees to, shall we say, "embody a certain lifestyle." The likes of which are: 1) you must bike to work during the summer (um..what?) or 2) at least be physically active, and 3) have a family in order to be taken seriously as an employee (I worked there while I was 23 years old). I hate to break it to you Covidien, even though I myself am skinny, but some of the fat ones do good work too.
Pros
cafeteria has cheap food and that's about it
Cons
no training, awful coworkers. and even worse management
Activities
HR Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seneca, SCOctober 22, 2014
This is a fast pace work environment.
• Helped create, design and implement a new on the job training for Covidien employees – Lead Kaizen event for two departments for OJT
• Conducted orientation for new employees and prepared all required paperwork for this process
• Revised and improved orientation process
• Collected all necessary information for completing the I9 Form and E-Verified employees
• Managed on the job trainers for two departments
• Collected and maintained confidential information for 600+ employees
• Maintained personal files for employees
• Assisted with benefit enrollment
• Managed the bid process for all internal postings-Verified eligibility of candidates
• Worked as a key player on the team responsible for transferring product lines to the Dominican Republic
• Worked with the Seneca Team and the AccuMED DR Team to complete this transfer successfully
• Traveled to the Dominican Republic to get lines up and running and verified all procedures and policies were being followed correctly
• Developed and designed Covidien Leadership Program
• Gatekeeper for the electronic training system
• Assisted employees with various questions from benefit questions to everyday general questions-Directed them to the proper resources when questions could not be answered
• Headed Philanthropy Committee – March of Dimes, Relay for Life, Ronald McDonald House, and Red Cross
A non-structured and un-professional working environment with professionals that wanted to strive
Clinical Research Associate II (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CaJanuary 17, 2015
An ideal typical day at work would be for me was to be (supposedly) trained on a structural projects and all the details involved, however that was lacking. I have learned in the past through different companies how training is and I would like to see a different company approach to the situation because we were going through an audit and we were scrutinized by how it was set up. As far as co-workers, I would have liked for them to act like a team and want to engage in my working experience, however that did not happen. The reason why I came into this industry was because I was hopeful to gain the fact that I can make a difference in somebody's life regarding their health and drive. The most challenging part of a job in this field can or could be lack of communication.
Pros
going out to lunch or being catered for lunches
Cons
co-workers and management that dis-engage when asked for assistance or questions
Too many chiefs, not enough indians
Manager, Regulatory (Current Employee) –  North Haven, CTJuly 5, 2012
I have worked here for almost 5 years and have seen a number of organizational changes. These changes mostly involve promoting tons of people who are less than qualified to make the changes they are shouting about. There are more bosses than workers and the entire facility is understaffed. Cost savings here means headcount reduction which makes the ones left behind responsible for more work in the same amount of time. all that leaves time for is fighting fires. If you have real improvement ideas/projects, that takes a back burner to fixing issues. I learned a lot by being here, but I am anxious to be a part of a company that rewards and promotes performance, not years of service. This company needs leaders and all they have is BOSSES!

Coworkers can be great, but are information hoarders and secretive. The culture can use a revamp. Everyone is overworked and complacent.
Pros
flexible scheduling, work-life balance
Cons
no active mentoring programs, no sense of community, no leadership

Comment – May 26, 2013

I totally agree with the person here.

overall good Company
Regional Accounts Specialist (CSR) III (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, MADecember 28, 2013
The day starts with answering the phone lines and helping customers with order placement and inquiries. Replying to emails for our Sales Force and helping them meet the needs of our customers. There are deadlines to meet for month end, quarter end and year end for the Sales Force budgets and making sure all orders are processed.

I have learned to listen to our customers and our inside customers as well and making sure they know their needs will be met and any follow up that may be needed will happen in a timely mannor.

Management as a whole is okay.

I feel that I am part of a team with the people that I work with and we have a goal of making sure our customers come first.

The hardest part of the day is when there are many calls in que. Each call is customer that is important and to make sure that the customer has a good feeling once the call is completed.

The most enjoyable part of the day is the beginning of the day when the day is new and I am ready to give it my best.
Pros
vacation time is good
Cons
scheduled breaks and not being able to get up from your desk
Human Resources Help Desk
AskHR Helpdesk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MAApril 7, 2015
A typical day at Covidien is to be ready to be logged on our phones in order to utilize excellent Customer Service skills in order to provide accurate answers to internal employees and external candidates. Record caller inquiries using PeopleSoft case management tool and TALEO.
I have learned the different systems such as the PeopleSoft case management tool; how to navigate through the systems in order to provide the accurate answer at all times.
The Management at Covidien was great, everyone was at the same page with any new information that came forwards to AskHR.
The hardest part of the job was answering calls from our internal employees stating that their spouse had passed away and will like to remove them from their benefits policy. Those were difficult calls but managed to provide the sympathy and customer service that the employee needed.
The most enjoyable part of the day was coming into work everyday knowing that you have a great team ready to answer any questions asked. The environment was also friendly.
Pros
The drive to work was good
Cons
The drive to work in snow were not so great.
Overall laid back enviornment
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Seneca, SCJuly 16, 2014
A typical day at work would be signing in to work, read the shift log sheet to see what line your had to work on that shift.Pick which position you wanted to start at assembling the sleeves.We would rotate every 30 minutes. Sometimes you would get a break from the assembly line and complete compliance test on product quality, maintenance, policy, and safety.Management was laid back, and helpful. They definitely let you know they wanted to make sure your work experience there was positive, and encouraged employee ideas and advancement. My coworkers where helpful as far as learning the job and lending a hand when needed. The hardest part of the job for me was getting use to standing for twelve hours and working at a steady fast pace assembling those sleeves. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that we rotated positions throughout the shift. I get bored easily so rotating was definitely a plus.
Pros
rotating jobs, brakes
Cons
benefits, working temp
Busy and opportunity to learn.
Associate II (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 25, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of working with an operator of a press, double checking spec for accurate information, packaging medical supplies, preparing packages for delivery, checking products for flaws, cleaning work area, and assisting co-workers with tasks. I learned how to become mechanically inclined with the shrink-line to a press. I learned how to teach others how to fix the press shrink-line. I learned how to have an eye for detail and not to be afraid to ask questions. The management was well rounded and if I needed support I could go to the management. My co-workers were very knowledgeable with the system of the company. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet in steel toes all day, but after awhile I got used to it and the most enjoyable part of the job was that the company has a gym and a shower, which was nice to take a shower at lunch and start the second half of the day refreshed!
Pros
Paid vacation.
Cons
occasional mandatory over-time.
Saving Lives Every Day in More Ways Than One
Senior Community Affairs Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, MAFebruary 6, 2015
It's very rewarding to work for a company that literally saves hundreds of lives every day. In addition to the products manufactured, my role in philanthropy enabled me to even further contribute to the mission of increasing access to health care and improving the lives of people and communities around the world. Being in Corporate Communications, you can expect that most folks are outgoing and chatty and most were which was great, very easy to get along with. This also made it a bit easier to collaborate and share ideas and thoughts about a variety of projects. I've learned a lot at this company because I've been here for over 8 years. The best part of my job is the ability to be creative when developing communication plans but the hardest part of my job is dealing with colleagues who aren't so open minded.
A very professional organized place to work. Communication was very good and I valued the teamwork.
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAMay 2, 2013
I would typically start my day by walking the facility, to make sure everything was up and running properly. I would make sure lights, heat / air conditioning was working, doors were secure and nothing out of place. I have always thought that safety was very impostant and more recently customer service concerning facilities is important as well. I enjoy interacting with all of the personnel but sometimes it is difficult to please all the people all the time, for example two people working side by side, one said they are to hot while the other says they are to cold, but you have to try to please everybody as best you can. What I like most is job satisfaction, the feeling of accomplishment.
Pros
free bagels on fridays & popcorn on thursdays
Cons
the larger company bought out the smaller company then moved the operations overseas.
Large healthcare product company that is constantly growing and changing
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJuly 26, 2013
A typical day includes working with employees on resolving complex benefit questions and issues, accurately maintaining employee data and transactions in the PeopleSoft HRIS system and supporting the use of employee and manager self-service, administering the local Reward and Recognition program, providing support to the HR Generalists and HR Business Partners, and maintaining the employee personnel files. I also work a lot with policy explanation and interpretation.

I have learned a lot about how to work with others, that one approach is not always the best and that its important to understand each situation before reacting to it.

I enjoy providing good customer service to employees and helping to resolve their issues. The hardest part about of this job is finding a balance with the work load and the ever changing work atmosphere. I also work with many different areas and each day can be different, which can be challenging but is one of the things I enjoy about my position.
Seemed OK
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boulder, coJune 19, 2012
I am an engineer I did a contract in Boulder for 2 year. It was OK. They treat contactors as perma-temps which I did not like. They will tell you chance for a full time position but its usually not the case. So make sure you charge appropriately. Someone like me would make about $95K/Year as a full time employee so I charged them $60/hr
through Kelly Services. Let me know if I should have charged more or was lucky to get this, hard to tell without feedback and you can't really discuss pay wwith people.

Perma-Temp culture made it awkward for everyone, Full time employees felt sorry for you and you were exepcted to be motiviated yet not be part of the company
Pros
nice work out facility, good work life balance, decent people & fairly intelligent
Cons
poor job security for fte and temps
Good pay and coworkers, no job security
analyst (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MONovember 16, 2014
Worked for this company for 20+ years. In the beginning it was a good company that cared about the employee. Once Tyco took over in 2000, the culture changed dramatically and some of the perks gradually began to disappear. The company began promoting people to executive level positions based on their financial experience and as a result there were people in management who had zero to little management skills and made poor managers. Organization is too top heavy with executives and not enough middle to lower level workers. Moral was low at the end and the current CEO has no solid vision or interest in restoring Mallinckrodt to the awesome company it used to be. The employees are the best part of what's left.
Pros
good benefits, caring coworkers, rich history
Cons
upper management, constant downsizing
the importance of knowledge with which your working with in diffrent jobs makesw you inteligent
Posición de operador de línea de producción (Former Employee) –  Puerto Rico, CNFebruary 26, 2014
a typical day work is to get there to work and accomplish with the your duty very interesting, in these company you learn a how is the products hospital, clinics and health environment is made and how they are use and how they work or function in surgery.my co-workers are all different, you may not imagen the kind of people your dealing and working with many kind of attitudes, aptitudes, an intelligence and over all the social relationship your sharing with. the hardest part of the job is the excellence, quality, and the short time you have to produce the product on time to be ship to the different hospitals around the world. my second family that is my co-workers whom I am working with the 8 hors or more every day sharing our experience , our lives and feelings to know and respect or friendships forever.