Cox Communications Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,216 reviews matching the search
Best job that I ever had!
Retention Rep (Peer Coach) (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 1, 2016
Worked in las Vegas Retention. Earning potential is close to 90k and that is not a gimmick! Management is mostly a joke. Lots of secrets, and people keeping their jobs because of what they know. If you go to work and mind your business though, that would never be a concern for you. Wonderful growth opportunity, pay is amazing, especially considering the fact that you do not need a Degree to get this position. Culture is friendly, and the Benefits are great!
Pros
Earning potential; Not micro managed
Cons
Management Politics
A Look From A Contractor's Position
3rd Party Retail Sales Rep Contractor (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAMarch 13, 2016
The company offers a higher than average compensation package for the area, has good management, doesn't micro manage the workers and gives you room to develop and be successful.
You always get out of something that you put into it and if are interested in becoming a company employee while working as a contract employee, there are many paths to becoming a company employee. After that step, there are endless number of employment opportunities in many areas of the business. They seem to promote from within and offer endless opportunities to excel and become successful in your job.
This company seems to be very diverse and offers opportunity to anyone with a skill set that can be applied to the job at hand. They operate with a code of ethics and a code of conduct and would be a good place to work if you have a skill set that fits their needs.
I am a contractor and am on the outside looking in with a detached perspective, and wanted to share what I see and consider this company as a very decent place to work.
Pros
Opportunity
Cons
None yet.
Not a bad place to work in some cases
CB Access Transport Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 31, 2016
If you're a field tech or customer service or sales rep... life is horrible. You're treated like a child and yelled at constantly by customers and generally expected to endure heck on a daily basis. Management is OK but are all just following policy to make sure they're not fired. There's no freedom to think outside the box and the corporate office is the obstacle of growth. The executives pat themselves on the back and fail to realize blaring opportunities and talk to the company in all hands meetings about vague nonsense in order to keep the employees from a mass exodus. Their negotiating tactics with vendors, content providers and other players is almost non-existent and the company is losing the TV battle quickly. The network infrastructure is the only thing not bleeding. Now with all that said, if you have a desk operations or engineering position... life at Cox is pretty decent. The benefits are decent and someone has worked very hard to pay you just enough to keep you there without paying you what you're actually worth. If you can't work for a company that treats you like a valuable asset, Cox isn't a bad second.
Pros
401K, Pension, Insurance, Decent pay
Cons
Sinking Ship, Micro management and impossible metrics in field, sales and customer service
Field Services gets shafted again
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 11, 2016
If you do not go out drinking with the boys, or play golf or softball, you are screwed. You can lead all the way up to telephone, and still be treated like you owe them something to work here. I have seen over the years the moral and loyalty go out the door. I have 3 years left if another contractor doesn't come in. Pay sucks for being a master tech. Benefits are terrible. Run fast for the county line.
Pros
Uummm none, no job security, no loyalty, no comrade
Cons
Just name it, turn in a idea, your chastised for it. This place is a shut up and do it.
Good Pay and benefits but bad work environment
Technical Support/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 4, 2016
There pay and benefits are excellent, there training is substandard like training from the 80's and the training programs in the computer never worked. I was hired for technical support to troubleshoot problems with customers internet, phone, and cable I was told during the interview selling was no required we just need to suggest Cox new products to the customers and make them aware of the benefits, and I was told the same thing through training. once I finished training I found out it was a lie, and the job was actually 75% sales 25% technical support and they based your job performance on your sales statistics and if you had poor sales 3 months in a row you was terminated. The problem with selling was Cox has multiple problems in multiple states with wiring, network, connectivity and 9 times out of 10 customer would call irate because there services working for years and it is very hard to sell a customer a new product when there current services was not working. This made for a very stressful work environment.
Pros
Good pay, and Benefits
Cons
Management lies, and extreamly stressful job
Account Specialist
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAMarch 14, 2016
Cox Communications is a great company to work for. The management is very nice and wants to see you succeed. However, there is not much room for advancement in the company, at the current position that I am in.
Pros
easy going and great work life balance
Cons
no room for advancement
Fun place to work, very detailed work, a lot of politics
Traffic Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 1, 2016
The company pays good and the benefits are good, but if you ever get on the wrong side of a manager you will be let go. The company is very indifferent of other races when it comes to promotions in certain departments. Team building parties and events are fun. We always ate good and received bonuses.
Pros
Fun coworkers, good pay, caring managers
Cons
Racist company
Great work environment.
Retention representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85027February 23, 2016
I did enjoy what was provided such as paid lunches and great facility. Although I did feel a bit of an age discrimination due to a couple encounters with rude comments made by management. I did learn a lot from this company though. I learned how to show empathy and professionalism towards customers. I did enjoy the coaching i would receive from my team leads and supervisors. I feel everyday there was something new to learn from a call I had received. My co workers were awesome, they were always very supportive with team activities and group activities. Even outside of work i would hear from them. The hardest parts of the job were making college courses work around my work schedule. I wasn't able to change my work schedule or request a schedule change until three month would pass. With three months passing the school semester would have started already.The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers meet there needs while also meeting the companies needs through minimal discounts or services necessarily to complete the tasks at hand.
Pros
free lunches, insurance benefits and pension
Cons
schedules
Cut throat culture but great learning
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityOctober 21, 2015
It was a fast paced environment with lots of responsibility. I enjoyed my role and learned invaluable marketing experience but was often encouraged not to speak up due to harsh criticism. It is not team friendly and it almost seemed as though management encouraged the cut-throat behavior.

We went through 3 re-orgs in a matter of 2 years which was a large reason for the lack of team effort and stale environment. Often the goals of different people and/or teams not only differed but opposed each other making it difficult to move forward in a simultaneous direction.

Many compensation promises were verbally made but never met even if job duties were successfully being completed. Although the corporate office from ATL recently stepped in so this could be more streamlined now.

Hours were flexible so I usually worked from 8:30-5:30 to avoid heavy traffic and this was never an issue.
Pros
Largely discounted services, nearly free. Cable, Internet, and landline
Cons
If not mobile there is little opportunity for advancement.
Good and the bad
SENIOR SOLUTION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 28, 2016
Cox as a company is an amazing company to work for, in comparison to xfinity and Verizon they actually care and strive for customer excellence. Micro manages a bit but goals are attainable and compensation is competitive.
Pros
Good pay, and good overall company
Cons
Family oriented with values and benefits that works well for women
Technical Support Rep (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 11, 2016
Cox was a wonderful place to work at. The benefits of the company are amazing, after only my 2nd day I had full benefits, and 28 hours of PTO(paid time off). I really loved working for the company and would've stayed if I didn't have to relocate to California.
Pros
benefits, incentives, pay, advancement
Cons
metrics
Voted top 10 places to work in San Diego
Inbound Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 28, 2016
What a great and dynamic company to work for!
Enjoyed growth of the company in an ever changing fast paced environment through multiple new product launches and developments.

They decided to downsize from 19 Call Centers to 7, offering relocation to Las Vegas, NV.

I chose to take the severance package and stay in San Diego.
Through many years of experience, I was often the "go-to" person for advice or knowledge on the salesroom floor. I often was chosen to fill in for other departments in times of need. Management and workers had a great relationship.
Pros
Free lunches, great working environment with multiple employee perks
Cons
Mandatory Overtime including weekends
weak
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 1, 2015
Cheap company that is not innovative and never ahead of the game. What i mean by cheap is they don't like to give respectable pay raises for the hard work their workers do. Unless you consider a nickle mind blowing. The lies start in training when they try to convince you about the benefits of working for a company that is not publicly traded. They talk of pay raises and yearly bonuses and then they dissolved the yearly bonus. Shortly after that they dissolved the tech support jobs in Las Vegas. All because they panicked about the comcast/ TWC buyout which never materialized. Raised the prices and made the company noncompetitive but raised the metrics for the reps and a lot of people were fired before the layoff. I was fortunate to have left during the layoff and collect a severance however some of my friends weren't
Pros
the workers are the pros
Cons
upper management were the cons
Cox had a very relax atmosphere the people was very nice and we work as a team the managerment was great and taugh you everything that you needed .
Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 20, 2016
The work atmosphere was awesome and the management was good.they gave you everything that you needed to succeed at your job.
Pros
Independence
Cons
no benefits
If you like working in a call center environnent, you'll love it!
CUSTOMER RETENTION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 21, 2016
Typical call center environment, where flexibility and goal attainment are priority. If you are accustomed to working in a professional and self-managed work environment with a consistent Monday through Friday schedule and holidays off, this may not be the job for you. Schedules change at least every 3 months, and you may or may not get 2 days off in a row. However, this may be a great job opportunity for high school graduates, single adults, or empty nesters that don't mind varying work schedules and who can consistently manage high levels of stress.
Pros
Established company, good benefits
Cons
Very stressful and demanding, limited upward mobility opportunities
Family environment
Order Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 8, 2015
Cox is a family owned business and as such they invest time and effort into creating an environment where it is open to speak to management. Ideas are heard and since technology is always ever changing we are encourage to come up with ways to either improve the current platform or services and include changes on the new products.
Pros
good benefits, great place to work
Cons
limited advancement
Horrible Place to work - Run for the Hills
Sr. Financial Analyst, Business Operations CapEx (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 20, 2016
This company operates on an in crowd methodology, if you don't make the in crowd it sucks to be you. Very little work life balance. Senior Leadership ignores the horrible things that are going on around them.
Pros
Cons
Work Life Balance Managment, Growth and compensation/benefits
Great Company
Cox Business Inside Retention Sales (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 5, 2016
Great management with excellent support for sales professionals. Great benefits and excellent pay with quarterly bonuses and monthly sales incentives. Provided excellent sales training to ensure career growth!!!!
An ever-evolving industry with some growing pains
Operations Analyst / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 9, 2015
Cox Business Services is an ever-evolving sector. There are some great opportunities to learn and develop through Cox University, its internal training department, offering an extensive catalogue of free courses to its staff. The pay and benefits are good and in most departments, the staff are well valued and taken care of. The people are very nice and create a fun environment to work in but the constant change of this industry can take its toll. Cox has undergone extensive changes, layoffs and consolidation over the last decade and due to industry changes continues to experience significant changes in its ability to compete in areas where it once dominated the market, such as TV channel packages. Hands down, Cox has the market on internet bandwidth delivery for residential and business customers and delivers excellent end to end internet services now.
Pros
Nice people, good benefits, decent work/life balance
Cons
Ever-changing industry has created layoffs and consolidations
Big Company, lowest paid ISP in AZ.
RNOC Tier II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 16, 2016
As a contractor, I went into their NOC being offered a Tier II position on the HFC backbone side in Phoenix. I went in at $30.00 per hour as a contractor and after the NOC Manager asked me how much I was making after offering me a Tier I role....he was offended. Cox pays all the Staffing agencies the same and if I happen to have worked a better negotiation with my staffing firm....that's to my gain. Apparently not! with Cox management....Cox will hire you as a contractor with Cisco networking skills....but will not pay you "Cisco" money when it time to bring you one perm. I came and I went, I was not impressed with Cox Communications...they are a cable co....cant compare with Century Link, Level 3 or Verizon in AZ.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list.