Cox Media Group Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible
Warehouse Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 13, 2016
Company is for sale. Management is horrible with no room for advancement. Watched people with twenty years lose their job without any reason. Stay away......
Pros
Cons
Management is horrible
Fun while it lasted
Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 16, 2016
I worked in a department that had massive layoffs. That's part of the business. The bad part is how the company handled it. Very unprofessional and callous. It's reflective of the overall corporate culture. The business is tanking and they have no answers.
Pros
Challenging work
Cons
Toxic work environment
great job but there have many changes
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI, Phoenix Az, Austin TxApril 18, 2016
Great money, it was a blast dealing with customers management varied from franchise some of it was amazing and others lacked the skills to lead.
Cons
Once a fun company, but no more
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLApril 17, 2016
When I first started, it was a blast working there. Employees were respected and looked after and allowed a lot of autonomy in how to conduct their work.

But things changed and in the end I could not wait to leave. Respect for the individual skills in IT disappeared and enlightened management was replaced with petty micro-managers who had no respect for the skills and experiences of people doing the actual work.

I made two great decisions in my life - First joining Valpak, and second leaving it.

I never looked back.
Pros
None in the end
Cons
Insecure work environment, petty managers
A work place structured solely on print sales and reps
Graphics / Admin (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2016
Only if you have been working for this company for an extended period of time are you allowed any flexibility. The benefits are not that great compared to other companies. The focus alot on print sales and the branding for their web serves doesn't even match, so alot of people don't even know they offer those services. Overall, if your great at sales this is job for you. If your in any other function, look else where.
Industrial Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 2, 2016
I started at Valpak in 2008. Although the application process was a little long, I finally got to work. I started at the bottom of the scale and worked my way to top paid Technician.
I show up 1\2 hour early daily to get a feel for the plant. If all is well I report to shop for turn over then plan my night with the lead to catch some prior work up. if a call come over the radio for anything need from maintenance. we report to that operator and machine to preform proper setup or repair to get the production flowing again. This is a 12 hour shift so around 645am I head to shop to fill in day shift on nightly events. Due to the random calls breaks and lunch is taken based on technicians need.
very disappointed
Event Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 11, 2016
Unethical & unprofessional describes this company & work environment. Lots of employees that shouldn't be in the positions they're in. Lots of sucking up gets them where they are. Friends hiring friends & teaming up against others. Very much like a high school mentality than a professional workplace.

This company boasts a hire within/close family culture, but I just didn't see it. There are good employees here, but overall a disappointing company to work for. As the saying goes, radio is less glamorous.
Pros
event perks
Cons
unethical, unprofessional employees
interview
sales representative (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 28, 2015
They make you put your age in by asking for school dates. I am 57 and have over 30 years experience with Gannett and I won several awards including salesperson of the year. I moved to Florida and wanted to work for the Palm Beach Post. I put an application in and received a email saying I was not qualified. Two days later on facebook saw they were having a job fair looking for reps. Sad for them as I am a hard worker and put in more than the required 40 hour week and do not look or act my age and do not plan to retire till im 80! I enjoy working. So sad companies are like this.
Great Company but...
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2015
No room for growth once you are a sales manager. Comp plan is not tied to rep's success so you plateau. Good talent goes to waste.
Pros
Great products and training
Cons
Solid ceiling for upward movement.
Great People
Sales, Production, and Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLDecember 6, 2015
This is a wonderful environment to work in with superior work ethics and profession team-players who have a friendly demeanor.
Highly knowledgeable and skilled management team who involves themselves in their employees concerns.
Pros
Great team, great management
Cons
Possible layoffs

Want to know more about Cox Media Group?

Ask a question
Cox is great
National Content Editor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 9, 2015
Cox is a great media company in Atlanta with a reach and presence far beyond. It employs some of the best and most talented journalists in the world, and I'm thrilled and honored to be colleagues with them.
family oriented atomsphere
Customer care agent (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHNovember 6, 2015
i absolutely enjoyed this job as a CSR, loved the staff, the hours were wonderful and you couldn't have asked for a better boss. great benefits, vacation days, bonuses.
Pros
in house cafe, channel 7 news in the building, so we got scoop on the breaking news.
Cons
not stable, job was outsourced
Family oriented which is always a bonus!
Manager, Business Services (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 4, 2015
Great team to work with and for! The best copmany I've ever worked for. Set own hours, bosses door was always open for help.
Pros
Owner is great and fair!
Very Good Employer
P/T Board Operator (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 27, 2015
Management is more in tune with employees job roles and performing these responsibilities on the job. Opportunities exist to grow in time.
Pros
Work Environment, modern, state of the art equipment
Cons
Pay
Company understands that their employees have a life outside of work
Media Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 22, 2015
I had great helpful colleagues, a manager that cared about my success and was able to attend numerous networking events to represent the business
Pros
great benefits and resources available
Cons
in transition to establish next stages
Not bad
Multi Media Account Executive (Former Employee) –  AshburnOctober 19, 2015
Work life balance was good. Commissions are good. Got to make my own schedule most of the time as long as I met or exceeded sales quota's. Great training. The only thing that was tuff is that the print business is a lot harder to sell than before, It is nice that they offer the online marketing with the print. Its a grind to always get new sales and try to keep customers from quitting because they are not getting the results they feel they should be getting.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Make your own scedule, dont have to be stuck in an office all day
Cons
Angry Customers not getting good results, Base salary is lower than most jobs in this area
Great Place to Work
Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Oak Forest, ILOctober 8, 2015
Learned a lot of things about the print and online industry. Everyone is very nice and easy to talk to. People are very knowledgeable about the industry and have ties to a lot of different businesses and clients.
Stable compnay that lacks in Employee training
Assistant Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 5, 2015
Overall a good company but if you are looking for advancement it becomes a political game. Years of Experience do little to ensure any kind of advancement. Company does offer their CMG University program, which is a good tool to acquire on the job credit/certifications, but it does little to promote the advancement of an individual.
Learn new products to give clients more effective ways to gain more exposure for their business
Marketing & Media Solutions Consultant (Current Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 11, 2015
Variety of products enable account manager to provide more options to clients so they can effectively do an awareness campaign to bring more business in. Tracking and measuring responses helped to give proven facts that Valpak works.
It was a fun place to work now it's more scare tactics and every year there seems to be group of layoffs
Print Prodution Artist (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLSeptember 8, 2015
This was a great place when I first started, since then I have made it through several layoffs and stressful fear inducing meetings indicating poor job security. It seems the only concern is for the franchises with no regard to employees and upper management really has no clue about what the jobs entail
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
No job security and management is kind of clueless of job duties

2.9