Cox Media Group Employee Reviews in United States

Not bad
Multi Media Account Executive (Former Employee) –  AshburnOctober 19, 2015
Work life balance was good. Commissions are good. Got to make my own schedule most of the time as long as I met or exceeded sales quota's. Great training. The only thing that was tuff is that the print business is a lot harder to sell than before, It is nice that they offer the online marketing with the print. Its a grind to always get new sales and try to keep customers from quitting because they are not getting the results they feel they should be getting.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Make your own scedule, dont have to be stuck in an office all day
Cons
Angry Customers not getting good results, Base salary is lower than most jobs in this area
very disappointed
Event Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 11, 2016
Unethical & unprofessional describes this company & work environment. Lots of employees that shouldn't be in the positions they're in. Lots of sucking up gets them where they are. Friends hiring friends & teaming up against others. Very much like a high school mentality than a professional workplace.

This company boasts a hire within/close family culture, but I just didn't see it. There are good employees here, but overall a disappointing company to work for. As the saying goes, radio is less glamorous.
Pros
event perks
Cons
unethical, unprofessional employees
It was a fun place to work now it's more scare tactics and every year there seems to be group of layoffs
Print Prodution Artist (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLSeptember 8, 2015
This was a great place when I first started, since then I have made it through several layoffs and stressful fear inducing meetings indicating poor job security. It seems the only concern is for the franchises with no regard to employees and upper management really has no clue about what the jobs entail
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
No job security and management is kind of clueless of job duties
A work place structured solely on print sales and reps
Graphics / Admin (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2016
Only if you have been working for this company for an extended period of time are you allowed any flexibility. The benefits are not that great compared to other companies. The focus alot on print sales and the branding for their web serves doesn't even match, so alot of people don't even know they offer those services. Overall, if your great at sales this is job for you. If your in any other function, look else where.
this place sucks
production (ptc center) (Current Employee) –  ohioAugust 23, 2015
I've been working here for a few years now and all I can say is stay far away from this company. If you value equality or team work then this isn't the place for you. It's under staffed which in turn has you doing various jobs including the one you were hired for. Work does not equal pay and management doesn't have the slightest idea of how to run the place. It's gotten worse over the years and there's no room for advancement so if you're looking for stability you've come to the wrong place. Your paid on an hours worked basis so good luck with paying bills. You have minimal input on your schedule and they seem to make up rules as they go. The work itself is not the problem it's the lack of concern for the employees. I feel more like a machine than a person....i'm currently seeking other employment options at this time.
Pros
Cons
everything
Favorite part of working with Cox is the unique creative out of the box designers and technology talent.gy
Senior Revenue Accountant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 6, 2015
Cox is an excellent company to work for. Opportunity of advancement is very attainable. Management will provide necessary training and assisting with advancing you to the next level. Diverse work environment.
Very Cohesive financial team.
Upper management continues to allow survey input from employees to ensure opinions are voiced.
Pros
Creative Environment, Forward Thinking Technology, Flexible Work Schedule
Cons
Lack of work life balance
Once a fun company, but no more
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLApril 17, 2016
When I first started, it was a blast working there. Employees were respected and looked after and allowed a lot of autonomy in how to conduct their work.

But things changed and in the end I could not wait to leave. Respect for the individual skills in IT disappeared and enlightened management was replaced with petty micro-managers who had no respect for the skills and experiences of people doing the actual work.

I made two great decisions in my life - First joining Valpak, and second leaving it.

I never looked back.
Pros
None in the end
Cons
Insecure work environment, petty managers
Industrial Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 2, 2016
I started at Valpak in 2008. Although the application process was a little long, I finally got to work. I started at the bottom of the scale and worked my way to top paid Technician.
I show up 1\2 hour early daily to get a feel for the plant. If all is well I report to shop for turn over then plan my night with the lead to catch some prior work up. if a call come over the radio for anything need from maintenance. we report to that operator and machine to preform proper setup or repair to get the production flowing again. This is a 12 hour shift so around 645am I head to shop to fill in day shift on nightly events. Due to the random calls breaks and lunch is taken based on technicians need.
For your own well being...find someplace else to work
Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 1, 2016
I worked for Cox Media Group for five years. At first, it was great! We had a tight group on the desk and it was a positive team environment focused on putting out a quality product. It is amazing to me that in just that five years time, so many changes happened. They minimized staff and made all of the desk merge into a "universal desk" located in Dayton. By the time I left, literally 50 percent of the copy desk had quit due to the horrible work conditions and not one of them was replaced. I went from designing and editing a good 20 pages a day to doing well over 80 to 90 a day. Quality went down and management didn't care as long as the paper was being printed. The stressful work environment was constant and you barely had time to take a break. It caused me to have several severe health issues and for a year and a half of my life I suffered from constant panic attacks due to the stress of that job. Never would I ever recommend working in such a toxic environment. The management was horrible and treated employees as disposable. Please for your own well being...look somewhere else!
Pros
Employees worked hard to support one another
Cons
Management was petty and stubborn, lack of communication amongst management to employees, negative work environment, job insecurity
I've had worse jobs
Creative Services Writer/Producer ­ KIRO 7 (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 8, 2016
The culture is recovering from a very toxic era. Turnover is rather high, making it difficult to form a cohesive team. It's not the worst place I've worked, for sure, but things could be better.
Pros
Good people, decent pay
Cons
Micromanagement kills creativity and motivation
Fun while it lasted
Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 16, 2016
I worked in a department that had massive layoffs. That's part of the business. The bad part is how the company handled it. Very unprofessional and callous. It's reflective of the overall corporate culture. The business is tanking and they have no answers.
Pros
Challenging work
Cons
Toxic work environment
Great company name to work for but lack in advancement
Retention Agent (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJuly 29, 2016
Promotion within this company is very hard you have to be with the IN-Crowd or have a Big Brother mindset. Merit increases are not guaranteed nor based on performance reviews.
Pros
CONVENIENTLY DOWNTOWN
Cons
Old computer systems
Great People
Sales, Production, and Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLDecember 6, 2015
This is a wonderful environment to work in with superior work ethics and profession team-players who have a friendly demeanor.
Highly knowledgeable and skilled management team who involves themselves in their employees concerns.
Pros
Great team, great management
Cons
Possible layoffs
Horrible
Warehouse Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 13, 2016
Company is for sale. Management is horrible with no room for advancement. Watched people with twenty years lose their job without any reason. Stay away......
Pros
Cons
Management is horrible
interview
sales representative (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 28, 2015
They make you put your age in by asking for school dates. I am 57 and have over 30 years experience with Gannett and I won several awards including salesperson of the year. I moved to Florida and wanted to work for the Palm Beach Post. I put an application in and received a email saying I was not qualified. Two days later on facebook saw they were having a job fair looking for reps. Sad for them as I am a hard worker and put in more than the required 40 hour week and do not look or act my age and do not plan to retire till im 80! I enjoy working. So sad companies are like this.
Not a bad place to work does not have job security and constantly changing rules.They do not keep the employee in the loop .Work conditions are good.
Senior process tech (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJuly 8, 2015
This company changes the rules all the time .They are real hard on the print department witch is the backbone of the company so you would think that they would work harder to treat all employees equal.
Pros
They pay well for the south
Cons
if you have not grown up with management you wont go far
Stable compnay that lacks in Employee training
Assistant Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 5, 2015
Overall a good company but if you are looking for advancement it becomes a political game. Years of Experience do little to ensure any kind of advancement. Company does offer their CMG University program, which is a good tool to acquire on the job credit/certifications, but it does little to promote the advancement of an individual.
great job but there have many changes
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI, Phoenix Az, Austin TxApril 18, 2016
Great money, it was a blast dealing with customers management varied from franchise some of it was amazing and others lacked the skills to lead.
Stay far, far away
Producer (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 6, 2014
Where to begin?

Let's start with the pay. For what we do, we should easily be making double the rate. We're consistently understaffed, which is unacceptable when everyone is part time.

Management. Peter principle was created for managers like this. No communication or any accountability until it's far too late. Shift of responsibilities every month, making our jobs that much harder. Scheduling is maddening at best with no consistency.

Zero room for growth. People that have been around for years have seen no promotions and little pay raises. So, if you're just coming in, you have no shot at a better job without knowing someone first.

With the exception of having a big name company on your resume, avoid this place like the plague. Not until people that actually care about the station take over and the right people are installed. Don't hold your breath.

Start date and end date listed are not accurate, they would be compromising otherwise.
Pros
fast paced, learn great radio skills, looks good on resume
Cons
more than i can possibly list
family oriented atomsphere
Customer care agent (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHNovember 6, 2015
i absolutely enjoyed this job as a CSR, loved the staff, the hours were wonderful and you couldn't have asked for a better boss. great benefits, vacation days, bonuses.
Pros
in house cafe, channel 7 news in the building, so we got scoop on the breaking news.
Cons
not stable, job was outsourced

2.8