Cox Media Group Employee Reviews

A work place structured solely on print sales and reps
Graphics / Admin (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2016
Only if you have been working for this company for an extended period of time are you allowed any flexibility. The benefits are not that great compared to other companies. The focus alot on print sales and the branding for their web serves doesn't even match, so alot of people don't even know they offer those services. Overall, if your great at sales this is job for you. If your in any other function, look else where.
Productive environment
Distribution Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Troy, OHDecember 2, 2016
A typical day was to count product as it came off the truck and make sure that all product was received in a timely manner. I got to work alone at a newspaper branch for Dayton Daily News. The hardest part of my job was around Thanksgiving when all of the inserts on the skids had to be verified and moved. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to converse with the management in the branch and troubleshoot when there was an issue with their product.
Management has no clue and there is favoritism
Senior Account ExecutiveSenior account executive (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 26, 2016
Management has no clue and there is favoritism.
Wisconsin trends in shifts in advertising, there's always a panic that seem to trickle down from upper management.
There is favoritism, and a high demand to perform as ratings and technology changes. Scandal with senior manager from Atlanta .
still an old boys network… Too bad
Pros
Tickets to events and sporting event
Not bad
Multi Media Account Executive (Former Employee) –  AshburnOctober 19, 2015
Work life balance was good. Commissions are good. Got to make my own schedule most of the time as long as I met or exceeded sales quota's. Great training. The only thing that was tuff is that the print business is a lot harder to sell than before, It is nice that they offer the online marketing with the print. Its a grind to always get new sales and try to keep customers from quitting because they are not getting the results they feel they should be getting.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Make your own scedule, dont have to be stuck in an office all day
Cons
Angry Customers not getting good results, Base salary is lower than most jobs in this area
I've had worse jobs
Creative Services Writer/Producer ­ KIRO 7 (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 8, 2016
The culture is recovering from a very toxic era. Turnover is rather high, making it difficult to form a cohesive team. It's not the worst place I've worked, for sure, but things could be better.
Pros
Good people, decent pay
Cons
Micromanagement kills creativity and motivation
very fun type job
Graphic Designer/Production Artist (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CADecember 27, 2016
design on a day to day basis work load depends on you. Co-workers are great. Very demanding job but very fun. If your a flexible person this job can be a good stepping stone
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
yearly adjustment in pay rate none
For your own well being...find someplace else to work
Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 1, 2016
I worked for Cox Media Group for five years. At first, it was great! We had a tight group on the desk and it was a positive team environment focused on putting out a quality product. It is amazing to me that in just that five years time, so many changes happened. They minimized staff and made all of the desk merge into a "universal desk" located in Dayton. By the time I left, literally 50 percent of the copy desk had quit due to the horrible work conditions and not one of them was replaced. I went from designing and editing a good 20 pages a day to doing well over 80 to 90 a day. Quality went down and management didn't care as long as the paper was being printed. The stressful work environment was constant and you barely had time to take a break. It caused me to have several severe health issues and for a year and a half of my life I suffered from constant panic attacks due to the stress of that job. Never would I ever recommend working in such a toxic environment. The management was horrible and treated employees as disposable. Please for your own well being...look somewhere else!
Pros
Employees worked hard to support one another
Cons
Management was petty and stubborn, lack of communication amongst management to employees, negative work environment, job insecurity
Horrible
Warehouse Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 13, 2016
Company is for sale. Management is horrible with no room for advancement. Watched people with twenty years lose their job without any reason. Stay away......
Pros
Cons
Management is horrible
It was a fun place to work now it's more scare tactics and every year there seems to be group of layoffs
Print Prodution Artist (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLSeptember 8, 2015
This was a great place when I first started, since then I have made it through several layoffs and stressful fear inducing meetings indicating poor job security. It seems the only concern is for the franchises with no regard to employees and upper management really has no clue about what the jobs entail
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
No job security and management is kind of clueless of job duties
Its a fun but very demanding, challenging job.
Senior Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIOctober 6, 2016
If you are a highly motivated outgoing person, then this job is for you. You must driven, self motivated, be able to handle rejection with a smile, and be willing to turn that around to a sale, Its a more challenging job than one thinks. If you don;t have these qualities, than this is not the job for you.
Great company name to work for but lack in advancement
Retention Agent (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJuly 29, 2016
Promotion within this company is very hard you have to be with the IN-Crowd or have a Big Brother mindset. Merit increases are not guaranteed nor based on performance reviews.
Pros
CONVENIENTLY DOWNTOWN
Cons
Old computer systems
Once a fun company, but no more
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLApril 17, 2016
When I first started, it was a blast working there. Employees were respected and looked after and allowed a lot of autonomy in how to conduct their work.

But things changed and in the end I could not wait to leave. Respect for the individual skills in IT disappeared and enlightened management was replaced with petty micro-managers who had no respect for the skills and experiences of people doing the actual work.

I made two great decisions in my life - First joining Valpak, and second leaving it.

I never looked back.
Pros
None in the end
Cons
Insecure work environment, petty managers
great place
Receptionist/Referral/Phone (Former Employee) –  Branson, MOJanuary 5, 2017
great place to work for love it miss it , would work there again , I miss my coworkers , miss the place , miss the area , I would recommend the place to anyone ,
family oriented atomsphere
Customer care agent (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHNovember 6, 2015
i absolutely enjoyed this job as a CSR, loved the staff, the hours were wonderful and you couldn't have asked for a better boss. great benefits, vacation days, bonuses.
Pros
in house cafe, channel 7 news in the building, so we got scoop on the breaking news.
Cons
not stable, job was outsourced
Sr. QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHOctober 6, 2016
Agile process was introduced in the company BuyBook Technologies which was acquired by COX in 2014 and they trained everyone with better understanding of Agile methodology
great job but there have many changes
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI, Phoenix Az, Austin TxApril 18, 2016
Great money, it was a blast dealing with customers management varied from franchise some of it was amazing and others lacked the skills to lead.
Stay far, far away
Producer (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 6, 2014
Where to begin?

Let's start with the pay. For what we do, we should easily be making double the rate. We're consistently understaffed, which is unacceptable when everyone is part time.

Management. Peter principle was created for managers like this. No communication or any accountability until it's far too late. Shift of responsibilities every month, making our jobs that much harder. Scheduling is maddening at best with no consistency.

Zero room for growth. People that have been around for years have seen no promotions and little pay raises. So, if you're just coming in, you have no shot at a better job without knowing someone first.

With the exception of having a big name company on your resume, avoid this place like the plague. Not until people that actually care about the station take over and the right people are installed. Don't hold your breath.

Start date and end date listed are not accurate, they would be compromising otherwise.
Pros
Fast paced, learn great radio skills, looks good on resume
Cons
More than I can possibly list
Great Pay
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 7, 2016
The pay at cox is pretty good for the Atlanta, GA metropolitan area. The workload can be stressful at times, but they worked to alleviate that stress which made a positive work environment.
Fun while it lasted
Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 16, 2016
I worked in a department that had massive layoffs. That's part of the business. The bad part is how the company handled it. Very unprofessional and callous. It's reflective of the overall corporate culture. The business is tanking and they have no answers.
Pros
Challenging work
Cons
Toxic work environment
Company understands that their employees have a life outside of work
Media Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 22, 2015
I had great helpful colleagues, a manager that cared about my success and was able to attend numerous networking events to represent the business
Pros
great benefits and resources available
Cons
in transition to establish next stages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cox Media Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8