Crabtree & Evelyn Employee Reviews in United States

Only good for part time very short time employment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIFebruary 22, 2016
Easy place to work as a second job or as a very part time employee. I was with the company for two years with no raises even though I brought my store back from being the worst in the company. Bonuses were a joke(if they ever even gave us the bonuses promised) and the goals expected by each employee was unattainable. The product was never restocked so day after day loyal customers to the brand were being turned away because we wouldn't be able to get it in the store for months. Every store would be out, even online. Loyal customers went elsewhere to get their products, I know I would.

The company I started working for when I started was not the same company I left two years later. It's sad.
Pros
Easy work, smells good, loyal customers
Cons
No advancement opportunities, no bonuses, unorganized, sinking fast
Great and fun work enviorment
Part-time Selling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 5, 2015
This company is very fun to work with, but we were short staffed for a little over a month so I went from part-time to full-time while going to school full-time and we weren't getting any help from our DM.
Pros
Great customers, product, and enviornment
Cons
Short Staffed
Fun to work with lotions and bath Products
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gaedens, F.LOctober 23, 2015
In this position I was a Key-Holder and Sales Associate . So I would close the store by myself. I loved working in a prestige community in the richest mall in Palm Beach County. Selling luxury Lotions and perfumes and bath products. Imported from London. We would Gift wrap during the holidays and do demos of our exfoliates with lotion. I would do the displays and promote sales, Stock, Label pricing products and even take deposits to the bank. Basically my Managers backbone in the company. Sad to say they went out of business in Palm Beach Gardens Mall.
Pros
Loving my products and the trust I had and accomplishments
Cons
Very Short break I was Shutting down store by myself
okay
Selling Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Short Hills, NJSeptember 14, 2015
Working at C&E is okay for the time being, I can see myself being part of the management to help better the store. a typical day at work will be give and take, not a lot of customers come in there, so its basically a day by day basis.
Bad Management
Selling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills MichiganAugust 20, 2015
Management did not follow the guidelines set forth per the company. I very much enjoyed working with my co workers, and loved helping customers.
A nice place to work depending on certain circumstances
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 9, 2015
I have only worked there for about 6 months and I had a pleasant experience. My coworkers were friendly and helpful, though that will mostly depend on who works with you in the store.

One big con would be depending on the type of store you own, you may have a harder or easier time. I worked in an outlet store of Crabtree & Evelyn at the Phoenix Premium Outlets. As an outlet most of our stock came from what the company thought we would need, or we would get it from another store.

Another big thing is as a mostly specialty store, especially one that's more well-known in Europe, you won't get many customers in on most days. Holidays and weekend events may end up being your busiest days, though I admit where I worked the temperature outside reached triple digits on the regular. Nonetheless, be prepared for slow days. On the plus side, those slow days make cleaning the store front a lot easier.

Another downside is you are also competing with department stores selling Crabtree products cheaper. It made it a bit hard to deal with some customers sometimes. Some customers would come in expecting the department store prices and would be baffled that the actual store has higher prices. Normally, I wouldn't mention it, but I warn you. You will get many a customer that would love to share with you on how they got this product cheaper, some may even yell.

Another similar issue is when a customer comes in looking for a discontinued product, some get really frustrated that a product they use for years isn't being made anymore so be ready for outrage and blame being shifted to
  more... you. So if you're the type of person that gets annoyed with rude people very easily, you might not want to work here. Also if you have a dislike really messy people, you might not enjoy it. I have multiple stories to share of people that would come in and squeeze the tube and just drop it and the cap somewhere knowing you'd have to clean it up.

Corporate can a bit of a hassle from what I heard as well. I never had much one on one with someone from corporate, but depending on who is watching over your store's region, you might find that some people at corporate can be a bit unrealistic with their ideas to "improve" the store. But I reiterate I never had much experience dealing with corporate, this is just what I have heard and observed from previous coworkers.

All in all it's an okay place to work. Products will be fairly easy to sell since it is mainly body products so just ask the customer about what they look for in a lotion or body wash and you might be good. If you work in a store, where your days are normally slow you can clean the store or rearrange if you have to without having to worry about too many people coming in.
Pros
They give a 50% discount on all their products which can be good for gifts, the products don't have a strong aroma so it'll be easy to get used to and work in, Slow days might give you a lot of free time so be sure to use it to your advantage
Cons
A bunch of circumstances can affect how your work environment will be, you will get a difficult customer frequently, corporate can be kind of difficult to work with
Helping to create beauty
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTJune 30, 2015
This company helps to create beauty in a variety of ways. First, it designs its stores and product packaging to be visually appealing. Secondly, the products themselves help to enhance the consumer's sense of beauty. Another way this company enhances beauty is by helping consumers to feel special through its customer rewards program, and feeling special is a beautiful sensations.
Pros
Working in a beautiful space
Cons
People can smell you coming from a block a way, but at least the scent is pretty
Comfortable work enviroment
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Sevierville, TNJune 19, 2015
Comfortable work environment, no chance for advancement. Minimal hours available during off season. It is a good company and I really enjoyed working with the customers
Fast Paced Enviroment
Full Time Sales Super (Current Employee) –  Central Valley, NYMay 20, 2015
Crabtree & Evelyn Ltd. is a wonderful place to work always room to grow with in the company. We are a big family and everyone works well together. During the Summer and Holiday months it is very busy and non stop it is exciting and makes you want to work harder. Hourly based company with personal bonuses available if you make your personal goal monthly and yearly.
Pros
Fast paced room to grow
Cons
slow during the Winter months
Fun and Challenging
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 10, 2015
Working in specialty retail, you truly take ownership of the business. Everyday analysis of all KPI and business opportunities. Where did we miss opportunity volume? This position taught me to find the missing money. I found that that I stretched beyond my four walls to creatively brainstorm with my team and my district. That knowledge gained leaves me grateful to all mentors willing to teach me to be more effective in execution of all company directives.
very unstable
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, CTApril 23, 2015
was laid off along with 24 others due to "company restructuring". Morale was extremely low, favoritism is rampant. New owners are horrible...they do not support the employees and are just in it for the money
Pros
great product
Cons
everything else
Good for Students
Sales Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 28, 2015
Working on the sales floor and communicating with customers in a fast paced environment; Product Demonstration- “expanding the sale”; Product Knowledge Memorization; Register; Handling Money; Closing and Opening Accounts and Registers; Stock; Cleaning; Window and Shelve Display
Pros
co-workers are always kind
Cons
management is very unorganized and there is no recognition for hard work or accomplishments
Great Product
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJanuary 5, 2015
I love the product at this store. The customers are wonderful to work with and selling to them has been a wonderful experience. As I have learned the product, sales has become easier and my UPT and ADS have increased. I have learned a lot about body lotions, hand creams, etc. I have also learned how to listen to customer needs and help them find what they want and help them add on to their sales to make for a great buying experience. The hardest part has been when a customer comes into the store and after spending over 30 minutes with them, they decide that they do not want to make a purchase.
Pros
flexible schedule during the holidays
Cons
seasonal position
Great Company, not led by the best people.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: (Speaking from the store-level) The people you work with are great! Being around such smart, focused, hard working, kind and funny individuals is what will keep some people there long after they are ready to go.

Cons: The money and benefits are't what they should be. The leadership development needs some review. Coming from one of Forbes' best places to work, Victoria's Secret, I learned how high the expectancy of a management team and their training process should be; I sadly can not say that this company follows a similar belief. The company lacks in cultural inspiration and has questionable ethics and/or morals.
Great Temporary Job
Retail Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2014
Great place to gain experience, but unfortunately not somewhere you will grow within the company. Very unfair management.
Pros
50% off store products.
Cons
company hasn't distributed raises to anyone but managers in 3 years.
Great products that are easy to get people excited about.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 6, 2014
Typical day was cleaning. High standards for merchandising. The staff was great and there was a team vibe. Hardest part of the job was selling high priced items but the product was great and easy to demo so with the right attitude it was possible.
Pros
product discount.
Cons
could be more support from upper management
There is no job culture
Management (Former Employee) –  Baltimore areaJune 6, 2014
You can forget about job security as well..... District manager had a problem with being honest with her employees so it was hard to tell what was going on and the company seems to like to blame the stores for their transgressions. Do not recommend unless you can't find employment elsewhere.
Pros
40 hour work week and great prop
Cons
everything else
Great customers and enjoyed my job. Management was not fair.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAMay 5, 2014
I worked for this company for 6 years. Loved my job, my customers, my co workers. There has been MANY management changes throughout the years I have worked there and policy changes. In the last 6 months, they decided to start writing people up for not reaching monthly sales goals. Very stressful atmosphere!! It was unfair, everyone worked very hard, we just did not have the business due to a harsh winter and a new store opening an hour away. At this time I was also battling cancer for a year, I never missed a day of work!!! I also feel my health insurance was an issue in them letting me go. Very disappointing after my 6 years of loyal service! The company does not care about their employees!
More than the average toiletry shop
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2014
This company is one of the best organizations I have had the opportunity to learn and grow with. They offer their employees the opportunity to gain knowledge through product knowledge but also offer the opportunities for growth. I my self went from part time sales, to selling supervisor, and finally an opportunity for a full time position with great benefits and bonuses. Management is highly supportive and inspirational. Great Unique Organization.
Fast paced enviroment with fun co-workers
Seasonal/ Gift Pack Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, CTApril 14, 2014
A typical day at work was that it was very monotinous. It was also extremely repetitive. All it really was, was making sure the little travel sized bottles were in the correct spot it was given to be package up and shipped out. The management was extremely nice. They made sure that you had no issues or concerns for the day. My co-workers were very funny and we had fun talking while we were doing our jobs on the production lines. The most enjoyable part of the day was the breaks. I loved how they offered lunches, snacks and drinks during that period. There really was no hard part of the day. If i had to list one, it would be making quota's for the day. But that really was no challenge to me. I felt like they had set their standards real low. I was able to go above and beyond expectations. Sadly it was only a seasonal job.
Pros
i loved the hours, the pay, and the benefits offered.
Cons
it was very repetitive.