Cracker Barrel
2,066 reviews

Cracker Barrel Employee Reviews

great place
Employee Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Tupelo, MSMay 25, 2015
Pros: great training program
Cons: too many hoops to jump for internal promotions
I was charged with spearheading the training program. The great part was meeting new people and giving them the tools needed for them to do their job well.
Enjoyable job
Restaurant Server and Store Associate (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNMay 25, 2015
A typical day at work at this job was beginning your shift greeting customers that were shopping, asking if they needed help or straightening items up from a rush earlier during the day. I learned many things about how to place things according to a schematic, different items that we sold in the store that were things people loved from years ago. My co-workers were friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job as is any position involving customers was finding a way to satisfy unhappy customers. The most enjoyable part was getting to meet people from so many different areas, learning a lot about items that were sold in the store, putting together displays and helping customers find the perfect gift for a friend.
This was a fun place to work.
Server (Former Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLMay 24, 2015
I had great supervisors and co-workers. Employees earn nice discounts. This was a fun place to work. I had to resign due to my school schedule.
Sloppy company. Lazy managment. Sketchy branding.
Restaurant/Busser and Dishwasher (Former Employee), Tinley Park, ILMay 24, 2015
Pros: weekly pay, paid vacation
Cons: uncertain hours and pay. Everything stated in my review!
This company has a policy that's supposed to promote workers who advance through a "Par" system to Par1 or 2 to only be the employees considered for cross-training; However they play favoritism, making experienced employees with the ranking and seniority in place wait to advance, while forwarding newer amateur employees who are barely a rising star. This is against policy and is clearly discrimination.... something they claim to not represent.
My overall experience with this company was bad. They do not have good management who respect their workers, or know how to implement the by the book rules that they are supposed to instill. The Tinley Park location should be put out of business for their lack of properly keeping the kitchen sanitary. There is caked up eggs under the grills that are supposed to be pushed away and cleaned beneath. There is mold in the dish-room area. NOBODY does their MAC duties! NOBODY!

You never have a set schedule or hours... even if your schedule is made up for the week, if the day is "slow" they will simply cut your hours and send you home.CHEAP!

The grill cooks are favored hands down and sometimes some of the servers, while the rest of employees (back up cooks, dishwashers, prep) are taking on 10 of their co-workers loads and treated like dirt. I was told I would be cross trained and although did all my courses they still refused to give me the hands on training. The branding is sketchy because they do not uphold the values they try to reflect through their image. Management is cheating employers by cutting their budget, so they dont have – more... to lend out as much employee pay; and who knows what they are doing with the rest of the cash.

Their ability to manage financial expenses is questionable (first hand experience listening to managers rattle off). The workers (servers and grill cooks primarily) are talkative, low-class, and half way do their job. Their old fashioned restaurant doesnt look cozy and vintage. It looks like a flea market and its cheap and unsophisticated. They need a bigger restaurant with real tables and room. Their set up with the gift store being in the entrance is tacky.

They are so cheap they cant even afford to get uniforms for their employees or offer free lunches. They waste pounds of so much food at the end of the shift but yet refuse to let co-workers take it home! GREEDY! They should at least provide their leftover food to food pantries.

As far as benefits go... (hahaha!) Yeah right. You will have to have worked there for a decade to get any type of compensation. – less
Cook
Cook (Former Employee), Gray TNMay 23, 2015
Pros: Discounted meals, fun work.
Cons: Long hours, unappreciated.
This job required long hours occasionally resulting in 12 or more hours worked in a day. It is a busy and fast-paced environment which was exciting at times, but could become very stressful. Management was typical of a restaurant environment where they were apprehensive about giving raises yet constantly ask more from you. The hardest part of the job was managing food waste while not running out of food by the end of the night.
Grill Cook
Grill Cook (Former Employee), Morehead, KYMay 23, 2015
Pros: Pay
Cons: hours, work load, accountability
This job does not work with you with every day life. Your hours is never consistent. Management does not communicate at all. They don't understand you have to work as a team to get everyone on board.
productive cultural enviroment.
Hostess (Former Employee), Milford, CTMay 23, 2015
Pros: comfortable enviroment, yummy food. fresh food, and nice costumers.
Cons: low starting pay rate, uniforms in summer time, unorganized staff, mean servers
a typical day a cracker barrel is like visiting grandmas southern home in the south, sitting on rocking chairs, and dinning with family. I learned to have great hospitality skills and learned to connect with costumers on a personal level, making them feel welcome. the management was a bit unorganized but everything else was ok. the hardest part of being a hostess at cracker barrel was the long hours and the pay rate starting off.
Was a grill cook
Cook/Prep/Dishwasher (Former Employee), Spring Hill, FLMay 22, 2015
Would come in at 5:00 in mourning to prep the food. Then I would get the kitchen ready to be cooked on. Then I would cook. While I was cooking I would make sure that the line was stocked and ready for the next group that is coming in.
Treats workers like slaves.
Par II Prep Cook (Former Employee), Shawnee, OKMay 22, 2015
Pros: You have a job.
Cons: Everything else.
My husband and I worked here for several years. Their management is constantly changing and getting fired for this or that, and they will schedule their employees horribly long shifts and refuse their employees opportunities for breaks. They have a system of advancement built in but they will do everything they can to make sure you don't advance. We did have two good managers the whole time we were there, but they were only associate mgrs and couldn't do enough to make up for the company habits.
Short Lived
Cashier (Former Employee), Coventry, RIMay 21, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: unhelpful HR
A typical shift at Cracker Barrel started out by counting my register drawer under supervision of an on-duty manager in the back office. They would escort me through the building to the front register counter. The rest of our shift was spent behind our registers, all in a row, unit we had a scheduled break. Co-workers in the gift shop were friendly with the cashiers.
Home feeling
Cashier (Former Employee), Fairburn, GAMay 21, 2015
Pros: good hours and benefits
Cons: short breaks, shortage of cashiers so would be asked to stay over time daily
As a cashier at cracker barrel a typical day would be greeting customers, selling merchandise, and assisting customers with there every need. Being friendly was our goal.
Workplace
Hostess (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLMay 21, 2015
I would seat people and make sure everything was clean for the customers. I learned how to deal with conflict if anything was wrong and help my managers find a solution. Most enjoyable was being able to interact with customers and seat them. Hardest part was getting out of rotation due to the customers preference of where they wanted to sit and the servers getting mad.
Learned alot
Shift leader/ server/ cook (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMay 21, 2015
I worked at Cracker Barrel for 15 years. I enjoyed interacting with guest and coworkers. I have seen stores at the top and bottom of the game. There comes a time in life that one needs to change.
Ok enough place to work
Maximum ranked server (Current Employee), Cullman, ALMay 20, 2015
I would imagine that working in a restaurant like cracker barrel is pretty consistent across the board. Nothing fancy. Fast paced environment. Business seems to be slowing as of late.
Cracker Barrel Review
Hostess (Current Employee), Fenton, MOMay 19, 2015
Pros: 50% employee meals, retail discounts
Cons: little to no breaks
I really enjoy working at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. The food is great, many employees are great co-workers. The general manager is wonderful. The work environment is positive. A typical day at work can be either slow or busy, it depends on the time, the day of the week, and what is the feature of the day. I have learned management skills, patience, and over all how to handle situations of all sorts. My customer service skills have become excellent while I am working here.
Very good restaurant with friendly people
Cashier (Former Employee), Watertown, NYMay 19, 2015
Pros: Discount on food and items
Cons: No benefits
This is a very good country style restaurant with good managers and employers and employees. There was rarely any complaints from customers. We got new stock every so often and the retail items are very nice high quality.
Management issues
Hostess/Server/Retail (Former Employee), Florence, SCMay 18, 2015
I loed what i did their and wouldn't change it for the world. I gave a 2 weeks notice and the manager said no don't do that i will give you a leave in two weeks and come around and right back on the schedule no one told me about me being back on the schedule.
Very Enjoyable Place
Cashier (Former Employee), Williamsville, NYMay 18, 2015
Pros: Fun place to work
Cons: None
Cracker Barrel was a fairly fun place to work. Especially because there is also a old country store just outside the restaurant for the guest to shop before or after their meals.
Great Restaurant
Back Up Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee), Spring Hill, FLMay 17, 2015
I've worked at this store/company on and off since 08. I started as a dishwasher, and gradually started learning other positions. It's a great atmosphere as far as restaurants go. There are turnovers, but that is expected in any restaurant.
Okay money. But that's it.
❸ Par II server (Former Employee), Concord, NCMay 16, 2015
Pros: Discount, tips
Cons: Management, job security, manager favoritism
The one thing I will miss about working at Cracker Barrel is the money that I made, paired with the awesome discount and opportunity to work in other parts of the restaurant. Otherwise, I'm happy to be free.

1 2 3 4 5

About Cracker Barrel

This company has gotten ahead in the restaurant business by holding onto a bit of the past. Cracker Barrel Old Country Store owns – Read more

Cracker Barrel Salaries