Craft Brew Alliance Employee Reviews

Disorganized place to work, no opportunity for advancement but co-workers are good to work with.
Maintenance Lead (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 25, 2017
Typical day at work includes PM work, projects, troubleshooting and emergency repairs of equipment. Processing work orders and inventory control. Operate equipment when operations is short on staffing needs. Call and work along side vendors when working on certain systems.Working with and maintain shop equipment, such as Milling and Lathe machine, cutting and grinding welding, along with shop cleanliness. Creating purchase requests to order parts. Rounds and readings to monitor systems and controls. Daily interactions with Operations,Production and Management. Self motivated and work with little to no supervision. Often start up plant after weekend of no manufacturing or bottling. Lock Out, tag out of equipment when necessary.
Pros
co-workers and plant cleanliness
Cons
lack of communication from management, lack of experience with maintenance management, no management support, no clear direction
I love it here at CBA
Shared Services (Current Employee) –  HawaiiApril 20, 2017
Stoked to be a part of CBA. Great organization with awesome ethics and leadership. I have clear direction and am proud to be part of such an awesome company. Great opportunities for growth. Great communication, benefits and pleasant work environment.
Pros
Work life balance.
Cons
Wish I had started working here sooner.
Great place to work with lots of opportunities!
Sr. Leader (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 12, 2017
I've been with CBA long enough to know they are all about doing the right thing and constantly working on being better. Sure things can improve but they are always working on doing just that.The focus is on taking personal accountability and helping move things forward for success. It is not a place for those that want to settle for the status quo or coast or for those with a victim mentality. Great benefits, pay and perks. Tons of internal promotions and opportunities.Great people who are passionate about what they do and the great beer we make!
Fun company with challenging, fulfilling work and engaged, passionate people
Learning Leader (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 4, 2017
CBA has a strong, competitive portfolio with an ambitious and dynamic company strategy. Senior leadership is visionary and sets and changes course for positive outcomes. The people are extremely committed to and passionate about the company's success. There is a clear focus on people and culture - evidenced by superior comp and benefits and by company initiatives centered on accountability and engagement.
Pros
A legacy to be proud of and strong leadership committed to maintaining the company's pioneering, innovative spirit while staying focused on talent and culture for continued success
Cons
Increasingly competitive market with an unknown long-term fate for craft beer
Craft beer sales
Sr. Division Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 21, 2016
Daily activities include wholesaler communication and sales team communication to ensure execute of sales programs and product. I lead four brewery sales reps who are on the streets selling craft brew products. I enjoy the challenge of selling in a competitive craft beer market that is ever changing. Engaging my wholesalers who are the largest and highest revenue for our company to focus on my brands vs some of their other craft beers is a unique challenge that I enjoy.
Pros
Great people in the industry to build relationships with
Cons
Market saturation of micro breweries
Don't ever work here
maintenance (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WaAugust 5, 2015
Work here at your own risk. I worked maintenance here and what a mistake it was. from the top down the Woodinville brewery is a mess. The maintenance department is nothing but primadonnas. They each have their own personal territory and no one else better touch it. Any one new is ridden, berated and derided until they create enough issues to fire you or they force you to quit. The beer sucks and they are going cheaper and cheaper on ingredients. They do not have a culture of safety and only care that you get the job done. If there is an accident or injury stand by because they are going to pick the most convenient target to pin the blame on. Notice the people that had positive reviews are territorial managers and didn't actually work there. The benefits are fair at best and there is not enough money to get me to go back to work there.
Cons
Management, prima donnas, poor morale, poor leadership from the top
Don't work here unless your desparate- Production Employee
CBA Slave (Former Employee) –  WoodinvilleApril 16, 2015
This place just sucks too much favoritism and lazy working people. Widmer is going down hill making the crappiest beer Redhook doesn't even make redhook beer really there. Plant manager is a straight up micro manager, same with the safety manager pretty much pawns off his duties to the whole plant. You have hourly paid working leads thinking they're managers and are lazy and don't know how to lead and will pawn off task to other employees. Pretty much I wouldn't work here. Seniority doesn't matter and they will make you work weird shifts and hours. Pay sucks and you don't really bottle brew or keg beer much there half the time you're doing busy work just trying to get your hours. I'm glad to be leaving.I advise not to work here since just 10 production employees have moved on and quit just this month of April 2015.
Pros
All the sorry beer you want.
Beware production employees!!
Operator (Current Employee) –  PortlandJuly 13, 2014
Probably the best benefits out of any company I've worked for, but hands down the worst company I've worked for. If you're a production employee (brewing, packaging or warehouse) looking for a gig, steer clear of CBA. You're not likely to get promoted or be offered any advancement, at least that's the case for most folks around me who are very qualified to make things flow more efficiently. Be prepared to work 6 days a week and sometimes 7. Communication is poor and the management team are called "carpet walkers" for a reason. The culture has gone south in 2014 and continues to be a negative atmosphere that'll only leave you bruised and battered.
Pros
Benefits and the people
Cons
Communication, culture, management team, leadership team...
Laid off...
Northeast Field Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 26, 2014
Company was in good shape but my position was still eliminated.
Good Company
National Account Manager, Kroger (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 21, 2014
I enjoyed the time I spent at CBA. The 4th largest Craft beer company in the USA. CBA has great high end brands that are well known in the Western USA and growing in the East.
Find another line of work.
CBA Slave (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHApril 26, 2013
Compensation is good, but expect for some managers to yank your chain for months and promise you raises while adding the work to your plate. Many nice people that work there, however a lot of LAZINESS. Management included with that one. Don't ever expect upper management to help you out if your having problems with your superior. I would overall suggest another job unless you are desperate. The company is slowly going more and more corporate.
Pros
good breaks, good starting pay, some nice people to work around
Cons
horrible management, lazy workers, 50+ hour weeks, no communication, no sick days
Some misdirection from management
Division Sales Manager - Massachusetts (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 4, 2013
We had three brands under our portfolio and senior management didn't give us the chance to create programs for our area.
Great company that values it's people. Well placed to succeed.
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 5, 2012
CBA has been putting on some great growth every year - even through these leaner times. The business model is built on being true - to the craft brewing process, to the customer, to each other..

No surprise that they picked up Top 5 employer awards in both Oregon and Washington in 2012.
Pros
the beer of course, the work-life balance and great coworkers.
Productive and fun work place
Division Sales Manager, Orange County (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 20, 2012
Each and every day, I work with various retailers in the consumers goods field to ensure proper standards and guidelines for our products. I do everything from sample beer, to negotiate pricing, to training the sales staff and managers.

I am constantly learning to work with different personalities while making sure I communicate the core values of my company.

The fact that everything I do is ongoing is the most difficult part of my job. There is not very much satisfaction for a job well done because there is no closing of the books once you close a big account.

The most enjoyable part of my current job is dealing and learning about an array of diverse clientele. There are so many backgrounds i am able to work with and apply that knowledge to my personal life in order to help expand my horizons.

My management team truley believes in the products we sell and does a great job motivating me to do the same. The companies values are exceptional.
Pros
expense account
Cons
understaffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Craft Brew Alliance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7