Crain Communications Employee Reviews

I enjoyed my time and experience when working at Crain Communications
Data Entry/ Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 23, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn new and exciting things. Also I enjoyed meeting new people and being able to work in various areas of the job when given the opportunity to shadow my coworkers
Pros
The family feel and atmosphere
Cons
Not being able to move up in the company as fast as I would've wanted to
No opinion
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 20, 2017
I have no opinion to share. Crain Communications is an unstable work environment. Many changes in a short period of time. The future is unknown. ....
Pros
Close to home
Cons
future is uncertain
I had the opportunity to push myself
Art Director: Workforce Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2017
As art director for Workforce Management, I pushed the definition of the role into the digital sphere for the first time. I was luck that management was willing to give me those opportunities.
Pros
Growth
Cons
I could have done more.
A strong, media-owned family company
Executive (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJuly 11, 2017
Crain is a wonderful place to work, with expert department heads and dedicated staff. Many employees come back to the company after working at other positions and are called "boomerangs."
Great people help make this an outstanding place to work.
Production Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2017
Solid leaders and positive work environment. Learned to hire, train, and supervise staff. Supportive supervisors. Long hours could be stressful but the reward of final product made it worth while.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long commute
good
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 7, 2017
im so laid back i really do my job and go on my lunches and breaks without anyone with me because i am dedicated to my job and when u tend to hang out on lunch and breaks with people u many tend to come back late and lack on your job duties
Pros
lunch hour
Cons
short breaks
little room for advancement
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 23, 2016
I was a full-time reporter in the Los Angeles office, and I was replaced by a freelancer.

poor job security

strong travel opportunities
Pros
steady base salary
Cons
no commission check
Opportunities Abound
Kept Confidential (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 11, 2016
I came to Crain for the hundred year-old brand and the opportunity to create an equally successful future. At first, I was surprised by how much ambiguity existed throughout the business. Early on, that surprise turned to frustration, but as I learned more about the company and its leadership, I quickly realized that where there was a lack of clarity there was also opportunity. Now I understand that Crain's leadership is willing and eager to innovate and support those who can help them bring about necessary change and improvement. The company has done a great deal in recent years to bring in more top talent and invest in technology that will move us forward. We're now charting new paths for the industry and it excites me to be a part of that.
Pros
Lots of support and encouragement to do great work, as well as flexibility in how it gets done.
Cons
In some areas, we're just getting started, so that takes patience and commitment to the vision.
Passion and Integrity!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 11, 2016
Publications are made of entrepreneurial minded and passionate professionals. Corporate groups have grown and are there to provide support to the brands. All of the offices I've seen make a great first impression! Community involvement and charity work is viewed as important to leadership and build cross brand relationships. Benefits are in alignment with what I've seen elsewhere but family friendly culture is above standard.

No organization is perfect. Better communication of successes across the publications and reasons for any changes would benefit all but is not uncommon in a company with multiple business/operating units.
Pros
International office, multiple brands/units to work for, innovative yet stable company
Cons
Working hard to catch up on technology and best practices but making significant progress!
No room for advancement
Digital Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2015
Depending on the publication, the management is not qualify. The company is in chaos mode, trying to make money for the upcoming years, but with no solid strategy in place. Very chaotic and un-organized.
Pros
Great location
Cons
No work-life balance
Very conservative environment
Media Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 2, 2015
Good-but behind the times. Great company but are not in tune with digital world. Could be a much better company for advertising clients if they had more digital analytics.
Pros
People
Cons
People
Family run company
Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2015
Family-run company with an entrepreneurial environment. Overall, it is a lean structure. Nice offices in New York with free snacks.
Business in need of transformation
General Manager and Publisher, Business Insurance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2013
Family run business. Decentralized. Leadership still too stuck to the old ways but GM are pressing.
Flexible Schedule
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 2, 2013
Flexible Schedule and great co-workers. It was great to see how an event would come together after promoting it all year long.
An excellent place to work, a relaxed yet professional atmosphere.
Content Manager, Information Center (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 1, 2013
A typical day involved metadata tagging for thirteen of the publications in the digital archives. Learned a great deal about digital archives. Management was very open and helpful, as were coworkers, creating a very low-stress, high-performance environment.
Pros
relaxed, friendly, professional atmosphere
Cons
advancement tended to be lateral rather than vertical
Professional, well run company. Excellent benefits. A rairity today.
Senior Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 20, 2012
Excellent company. Professional, well run, fair. They publish excellent business to business magazines that dominate their business sectors. Nobody does it better.
Pros
profit sharing, excellent publications.
Cons
can't think of any.