Crain Communications

Crain Communications Employee Reviews in United States

Opportunities Abound
Kept Confidential (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 11, 2016
I came to Crain for the hundred year-old brand and the opportunity to create an equally successful future. At first, I was surprised by how much ambiguity existed throughout the business. Early on, that surprise turned to frustration, but as I learned more about the company and its leadership, I quickly realized that where there was a lack of clarity there was also opportunity. Now I understand that Crain's leadership is willing and eager to innovate and support those who can help them bring about necessary change and improvement. The company has done a great deal in recent years to bring in more top talent and invest in technology that will move us forward. We're now charting new paths for the industry and it excites me to be a part of that.
Pros
Lots of support and encouragement to do great work, as well as flexibility in how it gets done.
Cons
In some areas, we're just getting started, so that takes patience and commitment to the vision.
Passion and Integrity!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 11, 2016
Publications are made of entrepreneurial minded and passionate professionals. Corporate groups have grown and are there to provide support to the brands. All of the offices I've seen make a great first impression! Community involvement and charity work is viewed as important to leadership and build cross brand relationships. Benefits are in alignment with what I've seen elsewhere but family friendly culture is above standard.

No organization is perfect. Better communication of successes across the publications and reasons for any changes would benefit all but is not uncommon in a company with multiple business/operating units.
Pros
International office, multiple brands/units to work for, innovative yet stable company
Cons
Working hard to catch up on technology and best practices but making significant progress!
No room for advancement
Digital Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2015
Depending on the publication, the management is not qualify. The company is in chaos mode, trying to make money for the upcoming years, but with no solid strategy in place. Very chaotic and un-organized.
Pros
Great location
Cons
No work-life balance
Very conservative environment
Media Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 2, 2015
Good-but behind the times. Great company but are not in tune with digital world. Could be a much better company for advertising clients if they had more digital analytics.
Pros
People
Cons
People
Family run company
Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2015
Family-run company with an entrepreneurial environment. Overall, it is a lean structure. Nice offices in New York with free snacks.
welcoming environment with encouraging leaders.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 25, 2014
Working for Crain has truly been a blessing, I was brought in with no office experience and was trained by exceptional people who helped me get to work right away. Within days I was able to do filing for multiple financial departments, as well as how to separate and send invoices, a magnitude of weekly printing jobs, filling out vendor forms, and also the ability to use a multi-line phone. Every day when I in, i'm greeted by warm smiles and a very "homey" atomosphere. (Well, for an office.) My co-workers are all very helpful if I ever needed to know anything. It is overall all a very good workplace.
Business in need of transformation
General Manager and Publisher, Business Insurance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2013
Family run business. Decentralized. Leadership still too stuck to the old ways but GM are pressing.
An excellent place to work, a relaxed yet professional atmosphere.
Content Manager, Information Center (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 1, 2013
A typical day involved metadata tagging for thirteen of the publications in the digital archives. Learned a great deal about digital archives. Management was very open and helpful, as were coworkers, creating a very low-stress, high-performance environment.
Pros
relaxed, friendly, professional atmosphere
Cons
advancement tended to be lateral rather than vertical
Professional, well run company. Excellent benefits. A rairity today.
Senior Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 20, 2012
Excellent company. Professional, well run, fair. They publish excellent business to business magazines that dominate their business sectors. Nobody does it better.
Pros
profit sharing, excellent publications.
Cons
can't think of any.

Want to know more about Crain Communications?

Ask a question