Crate and Barrel

Crate and Barrel Employee Reviews

Fun, Passion, and Integrity
Financial Office/Customer Service (Current Employee), ChicagoJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: great environment
Cons: scheduling
I have worked many years for the company and through out the years, I have learned a lot of experience. The passion the company has for their product and devotion to their customers has made my job interesting and long lasting.

Everyday was different and creative which made it less of a work and more of a family. Every co-work and management has a passion towards the product we sell. The values that each one of us bring to the workplace along with our experiences, personality and values meld together to form Crate and Barrel.

The hardest part of the job was retail hours and not a permanent schedule. They are flexible and 90% of our request were approved.
Productive fun workplace with family like coworkers
Customer Service (Current Employee), King of Prussia, PAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: outgoing peers
Cons: no issue
My experience with this company was amazing. Work always felt like a second home and coworkers are all very family like.
Seasonal Stocker
Stocker (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: frienly enviorment.
Cons: cold basment
A day at crate and barrell was fast paced, productive. At crate and barrell i had to learn the stocking room very quickly. Their are easily 3500 different items in the stocking room not to mention furniture. At this job my memory was tested most. Management was great, they were very down to earth and understanding that the stocking position is a very hard position for new hires. My coworkers worked very much as a team trading items with eachother to get all items to their stocking home. The hardest part of this job was the christmas season when a big shipment of ornaments arrive and stockers much put them in a designed numerical order. The most enjoyable part of this job was the community enviorment where all employees helped one another and even a christmas party was thrown to celebrate the completion of the season.
Great colleagues and work environment
Customer Service/ Finanical Assiciate (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: good work environment
Cons: poor management staff
I have worked at this company at this location for 14 years. This is a great company to work for but not for people who have children. The management team was always in rotation. I have learned many skills that I didn't know over the years. My co-workers were very helpful whenever I needed assistance.
Typical Retail Environment
Visual Merchandising Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 7, 2015
If you are geared towards working on the real floor on a full time basis, this place can be for you. As i maintained a passion for film and film production, working at Crate was not a place i felt i belonged on a long term basis. The design aspect was interesting until you realized the design schemes were mandated from a purely corporate level.
great, bright place with great people
Sales Team Lead (Former Employee), San Francisco CaJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: great environment, they make sure you've taken your break and lunch.
Cons: short staffed, many called in sick often
I enjoyed engaging with customers and employees with the current product on display on a daily basis and sometimes their was interactive demos.
Management is alert and ready to step in to help whenever and wherever it is needed.
You can learn great sales tips when working with a knowledgeable staff while they engage with friendly customers service.
At times it would be tough trying to cover all floors when busy, we want to give every single customer a memorable warm experience.
I felt good that i was able to provide great customer service by helping the customer find what they didn't know they needed. Also as a manager it made me feel good to know that I was able to motivate the employees by encouraging sales goals.
Solid Company with Solid Values
Merchandising Associate (Current Employee), Short Hills, NJJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: hard to move up to management position. hours cut drastically after the christmas season.
With over 25yrs in retail, Crate and Barrel has been one of the better jobs that I've had. Each day presents it's own challenges, it never gets boring. Each team member is giving tasks each day. They are always tasks with realistic completion goals. My fellow associates are always available to lend a hand if someone falls behind. Overall, great energy.
Good Name with Bad Leadership
Design Architect (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILJanuary 3, 2015
There are a lot of talented people that work there, but leadership in certain departments is REALLY bad. A lot of bullies work there and stay there because they "know someone."
Productive and Fun workplace
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 31, 2014
Pros: environment, co workers, products
Cons: no cons
Seasonal sales associate providing dedicated high quality customer service to customers.
Management and co workers were AMAZING
everything about this job was enjoyable
the hardest part of this job was being a first time sales associate
Very fast pace and a great team to work with.
Merchandise Associate (Current Employee), Pasadena, CADecember 29, 2014
Pros: fun work enviornment and right in the middle of old town pasadena
Cons: hours fluctuate a lot and managers dont always comunicate well together.
Usually fast pace. In charge of all back of house responsibilities as well as design displays on the sales floor. Management cares about their employees but sometimes not all managers are on the same page. Tough to sometimes stay on tasks because always getting pulled away to help in other areas, but great people on the team to work with and get things done efficiently.
Fun, cohesive workplace. Job gets done well and with a smile
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Naperville, ILDecember 26, 2014
Pros: free lunches, 401k plan, lot's of food in back, easily accessible management/employees
Cons: short breaks
Greet customer, seek out their interests. Assist them in finding what they want/are looking for. Scan in coded items, punch in furniture Final Sale items. Wrap pieces, furniture. Load into customers car.

Learned great customer service etiquette and skills. Learned to work as a team to increase sales.

Management was accommodating but strict. Always kept workers in line and doing job.

Most Co-workers were positive, encouraging, fun to work with.

Hardest part: Selling to/dealing with unruly or frustrated customers.

Best part: Working with people and helping them find what they want.
Gives customers the great WOW experience training.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Arlington, VADecember 24, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: no paid lunch break, and schedule is not fixed
Great training experience.
Management is friendly.
Allows educate the staff about the products.
management
management (Former Employee), Miami, flDecember 2, 2014
• Manage and motivate the team to increase sales and ensure efficiency
• Employee of the quarter multiple of times, with the highest sales
• Training new employee as well as coaching
• Event coordinator for the weekly and monthly events
• Manage store operation with key holding responsibility; opening and closing
Outgoing place to work.
Sales rep (Former Employee), Pasadena, CANovember 24, 2014
Very fun lots to do in a day. Learn something new everyday. New products/iteams.
Fun Homestore Team
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Manhasset, NYNovember 17, 2014
Everyone at the Manhsset location is great to work with. Since I started there, I could comfortably ask anyone whatever question I had. A typical day on the housewares sales floor consists of greeting and assisting customers while maintaining the core visual standards. The management team is okay, but there could be improvements in standards that they must follow. At work I have the opportunity to learn about all the different products we sell and share that information with other associates as well as customers. I would say the hardest part of being on the housewares team is that there is no formal training on the furniture pieces that are used on the floor. SO when a customer inquires about it, we as associates lose credibility. If there was a quick snapshot of all the pieces on the housewares floor - name, price point, colors - would be a valuable resource.
A Learning Experience
Sales Lead/Floor Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 6, 2014
As a floor manager at Crate&Barrel, I spent a lot of time on the sales floor working with associates and customers on a daily basis. I ensured associated provided the WOW experience to or customer and I also provided WOW experience when working with customers in selling and dealing with customer service issues.
Best Retail Experience
Sales/ Retail (Current Employee), Indianapolis and Los AngelesNovember 3, 2014
Pros: organized, vested employee interest, competitive wages
Cons: should be a stand alone store.
I began as a PT seasonal Merch Associate last holiday season at the Indianapolis location. It was immediate apparent that the company actually cared about their employees.

Management displayed very organized and organic enthusiasm for the product and co-workers. The most enjoyable nights were Tuesday night's closing crew. From sales team to Merch team, everyone was very close-knit.

Crate and Barrel is also wonderful for those who invest interest in travel. There were many co workers at the Indianapolis store that had transferred from other cities in the U.S.

I ended up transferring out to LA location and was able to transfer with my position out to The Grove location.
Poor management has made this a company to avoid.
Full time stock/merchandise associate (Former Employee), Westport, CTOctober 17, 2014
Pros: great co workers
Cons: poor magement, lack of advancement possiblity
The management of this company (from corporate to each individual store) has only gone down in the last 5 years. A lack of leadership has made it a miserable place to work. Management fails to listen to its employees. Opportunities are very few and far between to move up and if there is one, it takes more then just hard work to get it. If you know what I mean.

Co-workers (non management) for the most part are wonderful. The best part of working there was getting to work with such amazing people and build friendships with them.

The hardest part of the job was that on a daily basis, nobody had a real clue of what we were supposed to accomplish. The managers rarely communicate with each other so we would end up doing tasks multiple times.
very productive
picker / stocker / loader and unloader (Former Employee), NJOctober 8, 2014
Pros: everything
this was a good job only thing i had problems with was the fact i was hired threw an agency
Crate & Barrel was a wonderful learning experience.
Floor Manager/ Store Sales Manager Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 1, 2014
Pros: great, hardworking staff.
Cons: not the best management in the world.
The brand became really corporate when they sold the company.
Headquarters