Crate and Barrel Employee Reviews

Fun, laid back, first name basis, great experience in ordinance with my skills.
Financial/lOffice Manager (Former Employee) –  850 W. North Ave.August 21, 2017
Warm friendly atmosphere to work in. An average day of work was busy, I learned extensive customer service and communication skills. Managers will come and assist in a timely matter, CEO and company was referred to on a first name basis. We all assisted each other in various departments. Overall it was a great work experience for me, in acquiring the skills that I've obtained.
Pros
Annual party, celebrations of longevity, 401k and profit sharing.
Cons
Healthcare was some what expensive.
Fun work environment, beautiful stores, great people
Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 19, 2017
Fun place to work, especially if you love people and home decor. Training is often too much of "use your resources" without a lot of support from upper level management. It's nothing intentional, it just feels as though sometimes everyone is doing 1.76 people's jobs.

There's a reason people stay with the company so long: 40% off after 5 years of service, an honestly fun work environment, and exponentially ahead of competitors in terms of ways to help customers after the sale if a problem arises.
Pros
Great discount, fun work environment, decent pay for starting managers and beautiful stores.
Cons
Healthcare only for full-time, training for advancement is often overlooked, pay could be a little better- especially for part time employees
Somewhat an interesting job; but lacked advancement opportunities.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTAugust 17, 2017
Job was household decor which provided assistance to wedding registry clients to fulfill their needs. As a wedding specialist ; provided guidance for clients with demonstrations for products in that area.
It is a Family
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2017
The benefits to this company are the friends that become your family. The discount is great too. Sometimes it can be stressful and taking vacation days is sometimes not allowed.
Pros
discount, employees
Cons
unable to take time off even though you have PTO days
Good seasonal job
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2017
I learned how to engage with customers, and how to ring them up at the register. It was a fast paced job which I liked. It was seasonal so I only worked 25 hours a week. Standing all day was hard.
Very productive & fun
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 15, 2017
Management is very respectful &helpful. Its part time but you are able to pick up hours if it needed. The environment varies depending on different days but it's also an very friendly environment everyone is always willing to help.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No healthcare & very low hours
Good Sense of Community
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTAugust 14, 2017
I started working at Crate 2 years ago. The staff is all so fun and energetic so theres such a great sense of community. It is retail so it has its slow days as well as its chaotic days. There are some customers however who make it all worth while.
Pros
staff, discount, customers
Cons
irregular schedule
solid retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDAugust 14, 2017
My location was very slow-paced, so it involved a lot of cleaning and daily maintenance, sometimes way more than it involved helping actual customers. During the holidays, business picked up a lot and you have to be able to keep a lot of tasks in mind at once, and be comfortable speaking loudly over the hustle and bustle. Management changed a lot while I was there but settled in much more in the months before I left. The management team overall was vocal about praise for excellent work, and offered constructive criticism when goals were not met. Advancement within the company is not easy unless you are willing/able to relocate, but as long as you do your job as described, the job is not difficult to keep. There is incentive to keep staff turnover low, because of the large volume of product that Crate carries, all of which we are expected to know about. The hardest part of the job was knowing the product and being able to talk about it with the customers, but with time you get more used to it. Customers often expect you to help them put together housewarming/hostess/bridal shower gifts, so knowing the product and how certain pieces work together becomes very important.
Former Employee of Crate and Barrel
Manager (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAAugust 10, 2017
At the time when I was employed, the company was great to work for and so were the employees and the management team. In 2008, they made large cutbacks and the employees were all affected.
Fun people, poor management
Sales Manager, Soho Store (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2017
If you have an outgoing personality you will fit in swimmingly with the associates. The downside is the management at the place, and the store GM. Demands are high for low pay
warehouse worker
SHIPPING AND RECEIVING WAREHOUSEMAN (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAAugust 3, 2017
Pull orders drop product on the floor in a line in front of the truck it is being loaded into. Load all the product into the truck for shipping. Write up shipping slip an ship out.
Good pace
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 30, 2017
This is my second year with them and they are great place to work. I love the atmosphere, the fans and the work crew. The way they make you feel like family.
Great company to work for
Merchandising/Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 29, 2017
I really enjoyed working for this company for 9+ years, they always provided a kind, family atmosphere that made me want to come to work everyday. Best company ever to work for.
It's Fun to Work at C&B
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJuly 28, 2017
Punch in, do your stuff. Mgmt comes around to chat up what's going on in the store (being a PT person, things can and do change frequently). Everyone willing to help each other out. As it's a PT gig, I have no illusions that I will be anything more than a sales associate. There is potential for advancement but they tend to hire from outside, leaving experienced and qualified individuals on the outs. New GM has made a world of difference in the workplace. I actually look forward to going to work. Training is important and you're given time to review stuff online in most cases. Encouraged to look up product reviews and learn about things YOU like in the different depts. It's fun.
Pros
Employee Discount, great coworkers, fun mgmt team
Cons
pay rate is lower than other stores in area. No benefits (other than accrued sick time for PTers)
Merchandise Lead (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 27, 2017
I learned most of hard and soft skills through the 7 years I worked with C&B. I had an amazing work culture and people that I worked with. But the only con was the restructuring that changed somethings.
Great Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corte Madera, CAJuly 25, 2017
The management was very professional and friendly. Great working environment and training. Amazing co-workers. Very helpful people in all roles of the company store.
Great products for consumers but terrible pay and no management guidance
Visual Display and Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 25, 2017
The products are well made and consumers seem happy with them. But the internal culture is terrible. Morale is bad. At my store, after 40 employees quit under duress, things got a little better.
Pros
Products, employee discount
Cons
very low pay, poor management
The company has a conducive environment
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 24, 2017
The work at crate and barrel you learn a lot and have more experience .all their workers and their lards are friendly also caring and the environments
Pros
Free breakfast
really fun people to work with
Employee, Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTJuly 22, 2017
The stockroom staff and the sales team always made it fun. Very welcoming environment. It was always neat getting to see the new pieces that were brought in and help set up new displays.
Pros
got an awesome discount in the store
Cons
there was no AC in the stockroom
Excellent team work, excellent management team
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 21, 2017
Good work environment, fair wage for retail. Management are fair and treat everyone with respect. Advancement is hard to achieve but the training is good. Overall I think it is a good place to work.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
No benefits or paid vacation/sick time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Crate and Barrel. Our community is ready to answer.