Craven Community College Employee Reviews

Short Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCOctober 23, 2017
This was an work study position so I basically had to work the hours my boss gave me. I enjoyed learning different skills on this job and getting to work with the professors and staff of this great school. A great environment!
Pros
learning new techniques
Cons
low pay
always enjoy teaching but the rewards were too limited at this level
Adjunct Music Appreciation Instructor (Former Employee) –  Havelock, NCSeptember 20, 2017
Teaching at the community college level in NC was challenging in that I met college freshmen and sophomores twice weekly, 90 minutes each class, but the students failed to examine the importance of this survey course as far as their college life goes. The pay was 29 an hour which seems good, but I was paid for contact hours only. Consequently, any teacher interested in instructing students at any community college level should not rely on the compensation to aid their financial security. Finally, I was assigned two classes for the semester, one during the day and the other in the evening, the evening starting class mid-semester and doubling time in class. That class did not make since less than 9 students signed up for it, so that hope of further job security disappeared suddenly and permanently.
Great
assistant (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCSeptember 18, 2017
It was a great company to work for. The management was good and the environment was wonderful. Opportunities were there if you were worked and it was fair.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
The temporary position
Enjoyed teaching
Licensed Practical Nurse Instructor (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCSeptember 16, 2017
Enjoyed the community college and teaching the students. I loved my students!! Enjoyed the out lying hospitals that I worked with for clinicals. I did not see that there would be much advancement for me until I finished my education and at the time was not an option. Otherwise good experience
Pros
Director at the time was wonderful and supportive, students are great, state benefits
Cons
Pay
Working Environment of Craven Community College.
Technology Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Havelock, NCAugust 19, 2017
Although I have only been an employee with Craven Community College since February, I have enjoyed the work environment and the friendly staff who work there. The staff works to the best of their ability in order to meet the needs of students and we work hard everyday to insure that the current students have success within their courses.
Great Educational Enviroment
Instructor/Employability Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCJuly 24, 2017
Craven Community College is a great starting place leading to higher education. Not only is it a beautiful campus, but a fun place offering many extracurricular activities.
Pros
Most credits will transfer, Many resources for seeking a career
Cons
More building needed
great community college
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCMay 25, 2017
Craven Community College permits their instructors a good amount of discretion for how they run their classes, grade students, etc. Department chairs are fair and approachable. However, it is very difficult to advance to full-time there.
Life as a Math Tutor
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCMarch 27, 2017
Math has always been a strength of mine in school. Not only does it bring me joy when I perform various algebraic equations, but it also helps me when I teach it to other people. From what I've learned, many struggle in Math, so if I can help others in this way, it helps me fulfill my purpose.
Pros
frequent breaks
Great Place to Work
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCFebruary 2, 2017
Staff and faculty are friendly, I am given the freedom to teach my class how I see fit, the students are great and have a good attitude.
Senior Care
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCJanuary 30, 2017
When you have a daily routine every week, exact it is easier to keep procedure. But when another care giver does not write an update on the client's agenda it makes work a little tougher. Going to the doctor is important but I suggested if we have surprises we should leave where we can read out notes. One of the other care givers left a small notepad only for the care givers to use. We cleared up any confusions between us and the company, and were able to communicate better with each other in the client's household.
Pros
Cooking was a exceptional challenge, and I have come a long way.
Cons
I would sometimes forget to take my short break.
I am ready to begin working today
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCNovember 27, 2015
I got a good review from this employer. I completed many duties as a technician here at this facility. I performed testing administration to new students. Tutored students needing specialized training skills and training, in all areas of community college schooling.
great place to work
Phlebotomy Intern (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCNovember 9, 2015
I loved the people that I worked with. I loved what I did, being able to help others makes me feel great. It was not so much as a job, more of a school/ learning experience, where i worked in my field eeveryday.
Pros
4 hours, 2 days a week
Cons
had to have volunteers
Computer Instructor (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCOctober 22, 2015
I am a graduate of Craven Community College and became an employee prior to graduation.
I would recommend Craven to anyone that would be interested.
A place to learn and grow
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Vanceboro, North CarolinaNovember 18, 2014
At Craven Community College, you not only have a job, but you can further your education as well. My typical day at work is mainly filing paperwork for my director and help answering the phones.
It was a job
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCNovember 14, 2014
No place for advancement. Undermined by management. Not what I thought it would be when I was first hired on.
Would love to stay, but management needs to go
IT Support (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCOctober 22, 2014
Job was amazing, with the exception of horrible management. Ridiculous goals, lack of organization, noses so far in the sky they could smell the moon.

Needs a major cycle of personnel before it step back on that campus again.
Pros
Job duties, scope of skills
Cons
management, snobby, unorganized, underpaid
very productive work place
factory worker (Former Employee) –  rantoul ilMarch 26, 2014
• Check quality of prepared products, document exact results. Check quality of various products before packing and shipping. Position, align and adjust work pieces. Mark and tag components as necessary. Assemble goods clean work areas.
A Great School!
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Havelock, NCJanuary 2, 2014
Enrolled at Craven Community College in Havelock, NC. The course of study was Aeronautical Engineering. The course is so good. Very informative, and detailed. Everyone who is a staff member at that school are always helpful, polite, informative, I highly recommend this school to anyone who is looking forward to enrolling in classes.
Pros
Great facility, the best staff on hand.
Rewarding Job
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCDecember 26, 2013
Loves teaching and interacting with students. Great to be able to help older people returning to school. I have learned that everyone is capable in improving their lives through education.For students who are behind they must do their homework over and over to become masters of that a particular subject. They may also need to go back to the basics of that course.
There are many rewards in teaching including refreshing yourself on that subject or becoming a master of that subject,
Pros
Learning from students and helping others.
Cons
Low pay, behavior problems with some students.
Fun place to work and learn.
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCAugust 13, 2013
A typical day at work was students coming into the records department asking if they can get a transcript sent to a university they will be attending in the upcoming semester. I learned how important it is for students to have their transcript sent to the school (university) they will be attending because it will determine what class they need to take and what classes will transfer into that program their in. My co-work was great to work with they are a team player. The hardest part of my job was leaving because I graduated. Helping people was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Grants for school
Cons
Wasn't able to stay after completing my degree.