Crawford & Company Employee Reviews

An excellant company to work for. A shame that the local office centralized to a different city.
Senior claims adjuster (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 1, 2014
I started with Crawford & Company, an independent claims office, in September 1989 and left in March 2005 due to the fact that the office was down sizing. I was not in a position to relocate at that time.
My primary was as a multijurisdictional workers compensation adjuster ( Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky ) I handled a number of task assignments from a number of insurance carries for claims that they were investigating or needed local eyes or hands on since they did not have a presence in the area. I handled several large poultry, meat packing, electronics companies as there sole adjuster handling the cases from beginning to end. I handled one large poultry producer with plants in Kentucky and Indiana for the 17 years I was with Crawford & Company. I handled Jones Act Claims and Federal Black Lung claims as well.
I also handled auto liability claims both as task assignments for insurance carriers and from start to finish for others. I handled a great number of cases over the years for common carriers that frequently needed an adjuster at the accident scene while the scene was still active.
The work day was varied. The management excellent. My co-workers friends. The hardest part of the job was to be on scene at some terrible tragedies ( multiple teen agers killed in a van / finding a decapitated infant at the site). The most enjoyable part was the variety of cases and very interesting technical claims.
Pros
the most enjoyable part was the variety of cases and very interesting technical claims. co workers.
Cons
being at a accident scene with sub zero temps/ ice/snow. being on site at fatalities.
Horrible company to work for
Staff (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 7, 2013
The only thing that kept me at the company was my boss, who was a decent human being. This company is headed by racist leadership, and offers virtually NO opportunities for advancement, as they will openly acknowledge a preference to hire from the outside as opposed to promoting from within. The computer software is antiquated (for example, we still use Word 2003 and Lotus Notes for email). There was a salary freeze for 5 years, yet I personally processed raises (or "salary adjustments") for certain preferred employees. They have no money for raises, but the HR department spends countless money publishing customized, full-color booklets for EACH EMPLOYEE outlining their annual benefits. Are you serious??? They do not listen to the employees and do not care to. If you are in the "Good old boys" network, you will get ahead. If not, introduce yourself to Indeed dot com. When they finally did give raises, it was 0-2% depending on performance review ratings. The health insurance benefits increase every year, while the salaries don't (so essentially, you're getting an annual pay DECREASE). The CEO laid off nearly 10% of the workforce including 2 out of 3 receptionists, and in the same month, refurnished his office to the tune of $35k.

The only good thing I can say about this company is that my co-workers are awesome. Absolutely awesome.
Pros
free parking, partial tuition reimbursement, convenient location
Cons
horrible management, salary freeze
Field Damage Appraiser
Insurance Claims Damage Appraiser Heavy Equipment (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 10, 2012
Call and set up appointments, verify location of unit, drive to location, meet with owner, business rep or body shop. Photo and complete appraisal of damage. Negotiate repair cost with body shop, provide copy of damage appraisal to shop and owner.

Inspect additional vehicles/equipment as set up for day or if any additional claims came in within same area, call and schedule inspection appt.

Complete Closing/Cover reports upon return to home office, upload photos, completed appraisal and cover report to company rep/adjuster.

Enjoyed all co-workers, formed a company bowling league, camping and monthly outings after work. We included management in our outings. I have the greatest respect for our managers and have always participated in a positive way to the chain of command.

The hardest part of the job was crawling around on heavy equipment in the pouring down rain in the mud and getting wet, cold and dirty.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting with people and helping to make rwhat may seem tragic to them into a positve experience. I love working with people and making the most out of every situation.
Pros
company car, healthcare
Learning and Handling the claims process
CEO Trainee (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 11, 2014
I am currently a claims trainee at Crawford and Company. Since June second I have held many different duties and I will continue to have a variety of responsibilities. The first three months I was mostly in classroom style training. I learned the ins and outs of many insurance polices and the process of adjusting claims. After these few month of classroom training I have been assigned to handle workers compensation claims. My daily obligations consist of making first contact with the claimant's employer and the medical provider that treated the claimant. I receive and document a variety of information from both of these contacts, then I implement them into the handling process. Once these task have been completed I go into the claims and review to assure that all information is input correctly and review what further action needs to be taken. If further action is needed then I follow the procedure accordingly to complete what task need to be accomplished. If no further action is needed, then I submit the claim for payment and review for closure.
Exciting and motivation work environment
Claim Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 24, 2013
A typical day began at 6:30 (I would always get to work 90 minutes before the work day started to ensure I could contact those workers that lived in a different time-zone and to get my phone messages up to date and payments off that had occured during the night hours). After that I was responsible for 200-300 claims from start to finish. This included contacting the managers, physcians and claimee and deciding what benifits were alloted. This would also include going to the scene and photographing the incident to see if it would be covered...as well as attending court dates for those that did not agree with the decision on their claim. The co-workers were excpetional and there was a postive and supportive atmosphere in the office. However my desire for upper managment was slow in this postion and this is one of the reasons for my decision to joing the Navy as a Commisioned Officer.
Pros
holidays off with the family, great medical benifits, great company morale.
Cons
the path to managment was slow and the pay was less then what i wanted for me and my family
Varied job assignments from day claims to catastrophic claims.
Insurance Property Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 29, 2013
Receiving claims, contacting insureds reviewing their insurance claims, setting an inspection, and preparing and providing a scope, estimate, and photos of the claim so the client could see and understand what the condition of the risk was.
Time is of the essence and to the insured you have only one claim, theirs.
As a staff adjuster handling day claims I wish to reserve my opinion of management. As a cat adjuster, now all management is at the other side of a computer and you are typically your own manager.
Co-workers are now few and far between. There is no field office to go to and any association with co-workers is mostly accidental meetings.
The hardest part of the job is time management.
The most enjoyable part is closing a claim and billing
Pros
helping people during a period in their life when their world has been turned upside down, and life has handed them a drastic change in their everyday routine
Cons
never enough time in the day
Crawford was not only a job, it was a "school"
Multi Line Adjuster (Former Employee) –  San Juan, Puerto RicoJuly 2, 2015
Anybody who has worked with Crawford & Company, particularly in the early stages of their insurance adjusting career, will tell you that their experience with Crawford was that of a "school" and not just a 'job". In the smaller offices, such as the San Juan office, an adjuster had the opportunity to handle claims of all lines. Even in Puerto Rico Crawford serviced national (U.S.) accounts which presented many types of claims, depending on the account. The branch manager and supervisor were strict with reporting guidelines and formats used by Crawford and would assist the newer adjusters to comply with the guidelines. Crawford would also send selected employees for further training as in my case when I attended the Crawford & Company Property Course in Atlanta, Georgia.
Pros
Excellent supervision and training
Cons
Very Little opportunity for growth in a small branch office
A good place to work
Multi-line Claims Adjuster - Catastrophe (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 18, 2015
A typical day would provide the opportunity to work with many individuals in the resolution of the losses. I learned if you handle each persons loss as if it were your own, while being cognizant of the fiduciary responsibility to the insurance carrier, there were very few times anyone had a complaint about your work.
Management as a general rule were hands off, as long as you followed the reporting guidelines.
As you work via computer link, on your own, there is little opportunity to be involved with co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is keeping ahead of the volume of losses during periods of high claims demand following a large, catastrophic loss.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting with people and seeing parts of the country you may have never been to prior to the assignment.
Pros
flexibility of work schedule
Cons
inconsistent work opportunities
Not a fun place to work, every one is just into the laying of blame!!!!!
Sn Auditor (Former Employee) –  H.O, Atlanta, GaMay 13, 2013
Would not recommend my enemy to take this job, VP of Internal Audit has no internal audit experience and runs around like a chicken without a head, Audit dept. does not have a charter nor clear reporting lines, Audit work papers are maintained in excel and supporting documents are not kept, No one in the company respect the Audit Dept, Requests sent take anywhere upwards of six months to be filled, This is the job from HELL, Please even if you are desperate dont take this job, You will be doing yourself a favor, Audit Dept. consist of 7 persons and within 1 year all 7 persons quit, some without even having jobs.
Pros
pretty building
Cons
vp of audit has no internal audit experience, penny pinching dept., understaffed, overworked, no electronic workpapers, workpapers are kept in excel without support. you have to be able to kiss up to vp.
Not for people who want a life outside of work.
Multi-Line Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 20, 2013
Crawford tries to get by with the bare minimum of staff and it often blows up on them through decreased quality of work. Clients are starting to realize this and are beginning to question why Crawford's fees are high. Consistent work quality is also difficult to expect with 6 different managers in the past 7 years. Adjusters get sold on the bonus plan but are not told that a bonus is only possible 6 months out of the year due to weather. If the weather is bad you get a bonus, if it is not bad, then you could go a year waiting for enough work to do and starving. You are given a company car but if there is little work, the company charges you for the use of the car up to $200.00 a month. It would be nice to have a gas card for the company car if you're driving 200 miles a day instead of paying out of pocket.
Fast paced company that required you to be knowledgeable about hundreds of companies
Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 4, 2013
Crawford & Company was basically the only job that I ever had. I worked there over 27 years. I began answering the phones and doing basic office work and advanced to being the Office Supervisor. Working for an independent adjusting company is a busy enviornment and challenging in that each claim has to be handled to the client's satisifaction as well as your employers. Each claim you handle must be done professionally as a client can withdraw their business from your office based on a negative claim experience. This could greatly impact the office and the company. I enjoyed my co-workers and the manager I worked with. This is the type of job where you walk in and before you know it - the day is up. Not many slow days in an insurance environment.
Challenging, competitive, fast pace, multi tasking enviornment.
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJFebruary 15, 2015
Crawford and Company was a educational and challenging experience. The corporation encouraged and supported advancement within. The management as a whole was supportive and helpful. The daily environment was fast paced and responsibilities were diverse. The most enjoyable part of my position was the multi-tasking involving medical, legal, investigational, customer service, first report intaking, coverage verification and ongoing and changing positive interpersonal relationships with all involved .
Pros
multi tasking, educational, room for advencement
Cons
on call 24 hours monthly, commute and traffic
Surprisingly stable company
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 11, 2015
The Accounting department is very unorganized. Training is a challenge. New employees struggle to gain proper access to resources needed to do their job effectively. The environment doesn't foster growth and opportunity. Supervisors are arrogant and don't really care about equipping their employees for success. They would rather curse and belittle you than do their jobs. Management just signs off on things without reviewing it and blames you if something comes back wrong. The morale is lower than low. Compensation is below market by 30% at best.
Pros
can work from home as needed
Cons
low pay, mediocre benefits, poor management and training
Pushing out experience
Property General Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 23, 2014
Crawford is migrating towards the over-managed side of the pendulum. In a lot of cases, more experienced adjusters are walking away from the frustration of having multiple bosses with less experience get in the way of claim resolution.

The money is good as a commissioned adjuster. There is always work. But there is not enough staffing - at least in the office where I was - and there is no opportunity for any work-life balance.

I liked the people I worked with. Overall, the company culture is not concerned with nurturing employees.
Pros
good money and training
Cons
no chance for work-life balance.
Good Company
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILSeptember 6, 2013
I was first sent here through a temp agency and then was hired permanently.

After working for this group for about four months I was asked to come on board permanently, and I did so gladly as I enjoyed the work that I was doing, and enjoyed the people that I was with.

In a typical day I was asked to place calls out individuals and organizations in regards to many different aspects. One area in which I would place calls was to see if an individual was honoring his workman's comp claim, or to see if he needed any further assistance.
Pros
flexible work hours, average amount time for lunch
Cons
low salary
Productive enjoyable company
Clerk III/ Lead Claims Clerk (Former Employee) –  Uniondale/Melville, NYSeptember 12, 2012
A typical day for me began with me checking voice mail to who would be out that day. Then I would know how exactly to govern my self for the day. If it was a Monday I would update the vacation logs and collect those that had not been turned in yet, this was done for 7 units within the office. If the system was down within the entire the region then I would work with Home Office to bring it back up. Then I would continue with processing the office bills. Sort and distribute daily mail. I really enjoyed working for this company.
Pros
flex time
Cons
some of the people
indepedent appraisals work from home
Multi-Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TnSeptember 19, 2015
Appraisal assignments review and inspections made with in 24 hrs. Reports were completed and turned in with 72 hrs. I was educated on a different computer and system and that increased my knowledge of to the industry. I really did not have any co-workers.The hardest part of the job was if the vehicle was being driven to get the insured or claimant to keep the vehicle in a place where I could inspect it, but I did enjoy dealing with the public and giving them some comfort in the procedures of the repair or claims process.
Challenging fast paced claims environment
Field Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTNovember 27, 2013
Typical day involves setting up new claim investigations, completing reports due, field investigating of claims, data entry of investigation results.

Team leader guides efforts and support comes from both management and co workers.

Keeping diaries current is the most challenging part of the job.

The best part of the job is that you schedule and complete your work yourself both inside the office and outside in the field.
Pros
working independently
Cons
too much work to complete in one day
A wonderful group of people who learn your name and remember it! They also care about their employees.
Independent Insurance Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 30, 2015
I have worked for Crawford for many years. Some companies appear to pay higher commissions, but this company actually takes out for taxes and SS for you. They do other things nobody else does
such as: give each adjuster their own free subscription to the xactimate estimating program. In addition, they buy your licenses for you! That is why I have so many!
Pros
free xactimate, free state licensing
Cons
out of town work.
Good place to work for entry level workers
Billing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 14, 2012
A typical day consisted of logging in to a system to see any new updates. Email staff and clients with weekly research and upcoming meetings. Generating new marketing campagins for small market advertisements. Management was very hands on and helpful. The hardest part of the job was being consistent in the beginning stages of generating leads for events. The most enjoyable part of the job is being elected to take on more major tasks once proven to manage minor ones.