Creative Circle Employee Reviews

Please, please save your time and sanity.
Contractor (Former Employee) –  St Louis, MissouriMay 14, 2015
Despite being with this agency for almost three years, I only worked three assignments. They play petty politics and treat contractors like subhumans. Don't expect any respect or clear communications. They beat you up on rates, expect a commitment from you, but can't give you one in return. They are now listing many of their jobs on Indeed and other job boards just so they can get their body count up. I actually got a job replacing two of their other contractors and found out they never submitted me for the job. If one of the petty reps doesn't like you, forget it. You will be blacklisted. They also expect you to return their calls and emails right away, but they never get back to you. They don't mind wasting your time. They are cold, unprofessional "head hunters." They are not professional recruiters and it's like a high school clique. You can literally apply to hundreds of jobs and never hear a word for them. Also, judging from their placements, you can easily tell there's an age bias within this agency. You will be treated like a pariah and as a number. Avoid them like the plague. You will have more luck going through Indeed, Thumbtack, other local agencies or on your own. You're a file, not a person.
Pros
There are zero pros to this company. Can't think of one positive thing to say about them.
Cons
Inconsiderate, poor communications, petty, unprofessional, vindictive and less than honest. Also, they rarely understand the position or the demands.
Creative Circle is amazing
Creative Art Director / Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 5, 2015
I relocated from DFW to Chicagoland about five years ago and Creative Circle has always been my go to company for freelance and full time. Not only have they placed me in great paying contract positions as a designer, they have also sucessfully found me two full time positions in my field with remarkable companies, handling the negotiating process for me and gaining me the salary I requested.

I cannot say enough good things for the women who recruit the Chicago area and subburbs. They always answered all my questions, helped me navigate which contract to choose and represented me very well.

I must say this: being a designer is tough in a saturated marketplace. If you have a strong book and the right set of skills, they will call you and place you. And these days, using a recruiter betters your chances at job placement. Yes, they get a percentage from you, but it's well-deserved for all the legwork they do to place good, qualified workers.

I see there are a lot of bad reviews out there, but my experience has always been really wonderful with CC. I worked onsite, from my home office, teamed with a writer, and now in a full time position with a company that had everything I was looking for.

Thank you Caitlin, Hope and Amy for being simply awesome and professional to me over the years.
Pros
Flexible, quick to call with right position
Cons
Some contracts are short term
Potentially Good, Actually Bad
Freelance Designer (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaMarch 25, 2014
The location of the office is in a good location, easily accessible, very pleasant part of town. My interview went very well as the agent I spoke with was pleasant. But post interview, communication with the Creative Circle is horribly inconsistent. I've seen job listings posted by the office that fits my experience and qualifications but never heard from any agent that was handling my resume and freelance designer file. This was disheartening considering I was told at least two agents would contact me when relevant work became available after my interview. Even as I type this I've seen at least 3 separate positions that fit my qualifications posted over the last few days but haven't heard anything from the firm. I've applied for many positions but very little has come of it.

It's my belief that having freelance creatives registered on file is more important than actually finding work for them. I could be incorrect in this but this is how it feels at present. I can't rate this office highly because it simply has not worked well for me. I believe my resume and portfolio are very strong but it hasn't meant much as of yet. As pleasant as the office is, it means little if the primary reason for applying and interviewing with the firm amounts to nothing.
Pros
nice office in a good part of town
Cons
limited work availability, inconsistent communication
Recruiters and counselors are just using you for their own gain...
Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2015
Okay, so when you're absolutely desperate and not able to find work on your own and your phone isn't ringing, it's worth banging your head against the wall to stay on top of the zillion emails they send you for jobs that you "might" be qualified for. In the old days, the staff knew you and your skills, and specifically called YOU for an assignment. With everything being automated these days, you are just a number--unless a client you've worked for happens to hate you. Then you have no number...you're a zero. BTW, you're always wrong no matter how right you are. Money is the only thing Creative Circle (NYC) values. It's only about their bottom line. Twenty years experience in a field means nothing to them; they'll still try to get you to work for the bottom of the range of pay so they can get the highest markup.

But those of you who say these temp agencies are "stealing" money from you, remember that they are IN BUSINESS to make money. You can either work with them or do it on your own. Sadly, this particular agency has gotten too big for their britches and being professional and nice is a rarity. Go elsewhere.

And about those emails to which you reply with your resume: it's a numbers game. This should not be your only resource for work.
Pros
Pay on time through direct deposit
Cons
Can be nasty, underpay you, and they try to fit square pegs into round holes
Not terrible, but a bit incompetent and fast in doing business
Artist (Current Employee) –  New YorkJanuary 3, 2013
Compared to other staffing agencies in NYC, Creative Circle always seems like they are in a rush to do business. Their rates keep getting lower and lower, also compared to other agencies. I also feel that many of the recruiters are a bit incompetent, and need to have more industry knowledge - software, the difference between an editor and an animator, and good companies. I've worked for a couple high end companies, which are at the top of my resume for a reason, but they have never heard of them. Pull up a company directory and go through companies - get familiar with them/know their names, so that when a freelancer has it on his/her resume you can use it to their advantage to land them a gig.

Other agencies really take their time with the freelancers who they represent, and it is really a nice experience.

CC is not bad, they are friendly, and nice enough, and I've gotten one good gig from them, but there are many better staffing agencies out there.

Slow down, and stop taking such a large chunk of rates.
Pros
friendly, respond to emails promptly, have a big web of jobs
Cons
low rates, a bit incompetent, too fast/short with their freelancers.
A Complete and Utter Sham Thus Far!
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  DenverApril 8, 2014
I jumped through all their hoops to get into their system, interviewed with them, and even allowed Creative Circle to burden my references with long winded questionnaires. They had me start a job only a few weeks into signing on with them so I was initially impressed with their assertiveness. The position was supposedly a full time contract. First day on the job, the client tells me that they need me only on an "as needed" retainer type basis and hardly has any work for me at all. I subcontracted the work I had lined up to take this full time job only to find out I was only needed a few hours a week. Creative Circle didn't care. They got me in their system and I took the bait. They said they had nothing else for me and that they would call me if something came up. Fat chance of that happening. Don't depend on them. They don't remedy their lost promises and I'm out a ton of business because of them!
Pros
decent rates, good sales pitch
Cons
don't follow through with their promises and have you sign away your rights before you realize it.
Awesome place to work!
Graphic & Web Designer (Former Employee) –  Tinton Falls, NJMarch 22, 2015
They connected me with a lot of high end companies such as Mercedes Benz, Party City & others. They work with major corporations to find designers based on the company's needs, since every designer has a different set of skills.

I would definitely recommend working with them. My boss also mentored me. He gave me pointers to fix my resume and pointers on what I should put on my portfolio. Beautiful office. They have a gorgeous fountain. Nice staff. Very professional. I was definitely impressed upon my first visit.

You can work from home. Though most companies want you to meet with them at their home office at some point, so be prepared to travel. Decent pay. It varies, though I personally made between 30-40 per hour. Most of the work is temporary. 1-6 months. But you might find a permanent job somewhere! If you're a freelancer and need to find a steady work flow, you should apply.
Pros
great connections, you can work from home, great pay
Cons
be prepared to travel to the company's home offices
just another group of incompetent leeches.
freelancer, unpaid (Current Employee) –  NYCDecember 14, 2012
This may be a terrible time in NYC history for people in advertising art production, and a company like this should help an artist get work by their representation, but all they did was waste my time from the interview process to the job that I was supremely qualified for that they dragged their heels on.

Every job they post is gutted for cash so that when they tell you the rate or salary, its entry level pay for expert level skills.

It could very well be that my luck as a guy in his 40s being guessed as a dude ten or more years younger is wearing thin, but I refuse to give up my bread and butter to snot nose punks who couldn't match my skills or experience, but isn't this WHY you seek out employment agencies?

In the past year and a half they have done nothing for me but offer me doo-doo money and staff jobs for companies who dont value skills or compensate accordingly.
Pros
nice office
Cons
immature, incompetent staff who dont know the art indusyin manhattan.
I love Creative Circle
Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 15, 2015
I know a lot of people who have said "Creative Circle never found work for me", but that's not the case for me. They've found me at least six jobs/projects. A few were several days, two lasted for over a year, and my most recent was contract to full time, which I just left because I wasn't happy with my job (NOT CC's FAULT). I love all of the girls there and I don't just apply to jobs, but they call me about positions that seem like they'd be a good fit. I Just hope that they can help me find my next job very soon! I did find out that they were taking 1/3 of what the client was paying for me at one of my contract positions which is kind of a bummer, but then you have to think about the fact that they worked to find a job and they need to make money too! Oh and they sent me a box of the most delicious brownies in the world when I transitioned to my full time job as a congratulations.
Pros
Fantastic, hard working recruiters, have found me multiple freelance/contract/full-time gigs
Cons
Nothing really!
Don't waste your time!
Creative Director-Design (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2013
Worst Creative recruiters out there! I have 15 years of experience... very well rounded and good at what I do. I get plenty of repeat jobs through other recruiters, but mainly find work on my own. Been signed up w/ them for 2 yrs and have yet to get an interview or job! I used to apply instantly when I received a perfect job match for me and I would rarely get a real person response back and if I did it was one call and then I would NEVER hear about that job again.

I'll get calls from many various CC recruiters for a week straight, they so-called submit me for jobs and then never hear from them again RE: that job. Nothing! I finally realized its complete and utter waste of time to even glance at their posted jobs, so don't! Trust me... DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME! There are plenty of other, better, smaller Chicago creative recruiters out there that WILL help you find work, follow up and pay you more!
Cons
too many to list :(
never got work through them....uh, directly
graphic design (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 2, 2013
I have received dozens of job postings from Creative Circle, but have never been "awarded" one through the agency. From what others say, its probably just as well.

I did respond to one job offer that turned out to be from a friend of a friend. That friend forwarded my name and info along to the client, I got an interview, and negotiated a fee THREE TIMES what Creative Circle was offering. Normally, I would never think of going around an agency like this, but the client told me that Creative Circle never got back to them with ANY applicants. So while Creative Circle didn't deem me credible for the position, I have been receiving regular work from this client for nearly a year...and at THREE TIMES what Creative Circle would have paid me.

Creative Circle doesn't even help their own clients!
Cons
they fail to fill positions even for their own clients
Worst of the worst
Creative professional (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoMarch 1, 2013
A NIGHTMARE! There is not enough space here to write how bad my experience was with Creative Circle. I have never experienced such an unprofessional group of people, who truly do not care how they treat their applicants. I'm a seasoned creative professional who has an impeccable work history working as a contractor for big name companies. I've never had any trouble securing projects but thought I'd give Creative Circle a try.

I was treated very shabbily. Their staff are unprofessional, immature, arrogant, inept, and lack people skills. They would not last an hour at a credible professional corporation. Please do not waste your time with these people.

Creative Circle truly needs to better train their recruiters and teach them people skills, and some professional etiquette, of which they have none.
Cons
too many to list!
Very poor placement, poor rates
Staffer (Current Employee) –  New YorkJune 9, 2014
They are one of the lowest-paying agencies through which I work, and not the friendliest staff, but they used to at least be able to produce jobs. Now they come up with nothing. Their email blast jobs often seem really odd — tiny firms willing to pay very little. I wonder what's going on there.

Some of the staff I interact with are OK, some are even friendly in a professional kind of way, but have never built a good relationship with them as I did with people at some other agencies.

One thing that has always irked me is that if there is ever any issue with the client, CC is quick to take the client's side. Never felt much support from them, simply earning them money. And now not even that.
Pros
email blasts detailing jobs (which never come through)
Cons
low pay, no placement
Too Bad I Can't Give Zero Stars
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 13, 2015
Do not. I repeat, do not waste your time with this staffing company. They will never call you or consider you for a job. They are totally nonsensical. They have a database of thousands of qualified applicants yet they waste time and take opportunities away from their existing pool of people and post their new jobs publicly which makes interviewing with them and getting in their database totally worthless. The other problem with this worthless company is that they offer zero benefits to contractors and the pay they negotiate is awful. It's always 25% or more below market value. Way to shoot for the bottom of the barrel. Words cannot express enough how much I hate this company.
Pros
absolutely nothing
Cons
no jobs. no benefits. low wages.
How are they even legal??
graphic designer (Former Employee) –  miamiJuly 18, 2015
Unless you are very junior and know no one where you live, avoid working with them! They take about half your pay - that's right - they charge the client nearly double what they pay you and they do this for as long as you work for them. Like indentured servitude!!! Isn't that illegal??

If the client really likes you and wants to hire you full time - and eliminate this middle man nonsense - they have to pay an enormous fee. And there are also parameters for even getting out of their clutches at all. Very frustrating.

Avoid avoid avoid!!!! And hello? No benefits. No vacation pay. Even after a year. Ridiculous. You are better off freelancing!!!!
Pros
if you're flat broke and this is your only option
Cons
you feel like you're being stolen from every hour of every day
There business model doesn't work
Designer (Former Employee) –  AtlantaJanuary 6, 2015
Why have a data base of designers that you have already interview and then post jobs out there for anyone to respond to, like on Craigs List? Why would you waste time interviewing designers that are more than qualified for most of the positions they offer, but them in their data base but not call them directly when they get an assignment. This is not quality and is a waste of time. They have no respect for what they are selling which is talent talent that they interview and that are already in their database. They need to rethink their business model. In applying for jobs over the past year at CC I have been asked to do one small 5 hour assignment. I have 15 plus years in the industry.
Cons
don't waste your time interviewing
Fast-paced environment with limited work-life balance
Consultant (Current Employee) –  washington dcJune 25, 2014
I worked as a consultant for Creative Circle with two different companies - Delucchi Plus as well as MorganFranklin Consulting. My review for Delucchi Plus is completely different to my review for MorganFranklin. Delucchi offered a very fast paced environment on a relatively small team which resulted in long hours, weekend work and very limited work-life balance. The level of work required was not sustainable. MorganFranklin on the other hand, was also a small team - but offered interface with various skill sets and a lot of opportunity for collaborative work and growth.
Pros
agency experience, exposure to new industry
Cons
limited work-life balance, limited growth opportunity
Told Me I Was Going to A Client
Presentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 20, 2014
I was called for a PowerPoint on-site assignment. They emailed paper work for me to fill out and email back to them (identification, I-9 form). I was told the client selected me to work on the PowerPoint deck. I was getting calls from other agencies and had to turn them down because I was already booked. I decided to call CC to confirm the assignment was "a go". She responded, "I need to call the client and will let you know in about an hour". I replied "I thought this was already confirmed?". She said she will call back in 1 hour. After 2 hours I did not hear back and decided not to ever work with them. Cheap hourly rate, worst, unorganized agency ever.
Cons
communication and lying about so-called "confirmed" assignments.
Over a year and no work, no interviews
job seeker (Former Employee) –  ChicagoDecember 5, 2012
I signed up with Creative Circle in Dec 2011. With over three years of experience in my field, I've only been called by them twice for positions they have never sent me on interviews for. I've answered their job positing emails immediately, particularly the ones I KNOW I'm very qualified for, even included a cover letter. Still I have never been sent on an interview. While I can't prove any thing, I strongly believe the staff discriminates based on age, gender and race. Perhaps not all three all the time, but I'm certain they do factor in those when picking candidates. Wouldn't waste my time with them if you're over 35 for sure, since most of the staff is under that age.
Inefficient and a waste of time!
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 10, 2014
I signed up with this agency almost a year ago. They promise frequent emails with job leads that you can apply for once you are "in" their system. I don't even receive one email within a weeks time with job leads. The recruiters send you out on interviews and you never hear back from them!! They never follow up to tell you if the client has chosen someone else or is still considering your application. They are unresponsive to emails and overall provide poor job placement service. If you are casually seeking a job then you may have the time to twiddle your thumbs. But if you need a job right away, you are better off on your own.
Cons
poor service

2.3