Creative Work Systems Employee Reviews

It was my first job and overall I had a moderate to pretty good experience
Life Skills Coach (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEOctober 16, 2017
Creative Work Systems located in Portland, ME was my first introductory job into the Social Work field. I don't really remember it all that much given that it was over a decade ago. But what I will say was/is that from my remembrance, it was a decent company that treated their employees with dignity and respect. However, the pay was so little you could barely afford to live on your own nevermind support a spouse or family. So for that reason I would probably not choose to work their again. Unless of course I was desperate and needed a job.
great place to work
Life Skills Coach (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEAugust 17, 2017
this is a great place to work and you get to work with a wide variety of people. you are able to have a flexible schedule that works around yours. great place.
Relatively awful place to work
Life Support Coach (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEJuly 30, 2017
The home I worked in was horribly outdated, very small, and provided only one handicap bathroom for the 7 residents there. Staff was uncaring, sometimes abusive toward residents. Rumors that management was taking money from the company.
Rewarding
Team Leader/Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEJune 23, 2017
Cws is a very good co.pany to work for they try to assist there works an have numerous trainings it was a pleasuring working for them for over 10 years
Pros
Caring
Cons
More money
Just terrible
Life Skills Coach (Former Employee) –  MaineMay 15, 2017
When I first started it was a very exciting opportunity, the team was all brand new and getting to know each other. Life was great. but about a month after drama started, people were still figuring out their roles and fighting between staff broke out. Management did very little to handle it. Two months after everyone was hired is when people started to quit because management was in incompetent. Four months after the residential manager quit, hats when the team leader at the time was promoted even when this person was poorly suited for the job. That person also picked their two favorite people out of all the staff and groomed them into the new team leaders to take over the role he had left. One was qualified, which everyone was happy about...the other is extremely under qualified. I worked under the under qualified team leader. Life very quickly became miserable between staff fighting with each other, no support from management and the team leader taking their anger out on the staff. Assisting the residents was already risky as some were already violent physically, it made everything worse when other staff would corner you and out you into a extremely uncomfortable position to pick sides when you tried to stay neutral. When I switched to night shift is when everything got worse. They kept taking away my PTO (paid time off) saying it was going into my paycheck when it wasn't supposed to nor did it reflect in my paycheck. I would spend 10 hours a night cleaning the house, then they would say that I didn't clean when they tracked in dirt and mud. Or when the participants would  more... spill drops of coffee or food during breakfast. Management is terrible, support from management or other staff does not exist. It is all petty drama, harassment from other staff and management with a 'go eff yourself' attitude. Insurance and pay is just okay. Overall my impression is horrible, burnout comes on very quickly, chances for career growth doesn't exist unless management likes you enough to groom you.  less
Pros
health insurance is ok
Cons
everything
Senior Life Skills Coach
CRMA (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEMay 4, 2017
I started out in auburn and loved it! I started to help at Creative Way in Augusta and I knew it was the place for me! But as the months went on the real drama was unfolded! Very unprofessional and they don't care about their workers, if your not in the management clique your screwed! But as long as the participants are there and need us then you better be there or be square! I feel like I'm In High School all over again!
Pros
Insurance
Nice place to work.
Life Skills Coach (Current Employee) –  Saco, MEFebruary 14, 2017
Creative Work Systems is a good place to work at. CWS is a 24/7 company. They like to call you in randomly and sometimes it can be over whelming. The company itself is a great company!
Cons
No breaks
Top Notch Agency!
Residential Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 11, 2017
Incredible mission and amazing people to work with! If you are willing to work hard and continue to learn, you will be highly successful. This agency truly cares about the people they support and their employees. They offer a competitive wage considering this field of work and they are striving to recognize employees constantly. This is an employer that really wants to know what employees want to grow.
Pros
Continued education and training, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
None!
No life with this job
Life Skills Coach (Former Employee) –  MaineJanuary 14, 2017
At first working in their houses was fantastic. But slowly management gets more and more demanding and so much less supportive. Management will pick a favorite staff and treat other people like 2nd class citizens. You are expected to basically give up your life to constantly always be working. If you have an emergency, pray nobody is dying because they don't care about your life. Asking to switch a shift is like asking someone to cut off their limb for you. The pay isn't bad if you have all your certifications and the health insurance is alright. But it's only worth is if you enjoy getting constantly dumped on by management and a dead end job.
Pros
Health insurance, easy to get full-time
Cons
The company overall
Great Company to work for and great people to work with
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MultipleJanuary 13, 2017
The values upheld and practiced by this agency are empowering to participants and to staff working with them. There is room for advancement and even tuition reimbursement for college to advance oneself. Standards are high and quality of services is outstanding. Management values the work of staff at all levels of the organization. I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.
Pros
Opportunities for professional growth and learning, Knowing what we're doing is important in people's lives.
Cons
Social services just doesn't pay what everyone deserves, but it's not just CWS.
Great company
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Saco, MEAugust 22, 2016
Great company, lots of staff support and recognition. Great benefits, hours and supervisors. Everyone seems to enjoy their job. Company has done well financially and is growing more and more. Clients are happy with services as well as families and guardians.
Terrible
Life Skills Coach (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEFebruary 22, 2016
I loved the people I worked with, I loved my people I cared for, but the bosses were terrible, the pay was terrible. They don't tell you about the shift differential when you do overnights. The management has no clue.
Pros
People
Cons
Management low pay bad benefits
Productive , fun place to work
Job Coach/Life Skills Coach (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEOctober 13, 2015
I assisted individuals in workshop to learn employment skills with supports and worked along side them on a daily basis.
Pros
Learned many life skills
Cons
Managment was not very supportive
Educational Workplace
LSC/DSP/CRMA (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 23, 2015
Creative Work Systems teaches important materials for those who have and have not worked in this type of field. Each day creates a new way to learn every individual and provides full support for staff and participants.
Cons
Low pay
awesome place to work
Nurse Instructor (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 27, 2015
Creative Work Systems is a great agency to work for. Really nice people. Supportive work environment. Creative Work Systems puts participant needs first.
great COMPANY
Direct Support Professional (DSP) CRMA (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 6, 2015
Fabulous company to work for. Received a lot of training and interpersonal skills. Have learned a lot. wold recommend this company to others.
Cws
DSP/CRMA (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEAugust 25, 2014
Work as a DSP and CRMA supporting people in need. Best part of the job is person to person interaction but the worst part of the job is the double documentation.
Pros
P2P interaction
Cons
No breaks scheduled
Working in Human Services
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 21, 2014
Creative Work Systems is one of the best companies within this field that I have worked for. They are attentive to client and staff needs, and are constantly striving to improve all aspects of their service. I personally have managed one of their residences for over 6 years. It is sometimes stressful, often surprising, and constantly enjoyable. I have gained valuable supervisory experience, and I feel that I am capable of expanding my horizons to do a variety different types of work as a result.
Pros
Working with people, job satisfaction
Cons
Being on-call 24/7, difficult to schedule time off
great place
Life skills coach (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 6, 2013
I loved working in the community with that group i was assigned to that day. great people, staff and clients. so many activites and other support provided.
The residential atmosphere is wonderful
24 hour Residential Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Auburn, MENovember 28, 2012
I work 94% of my work hours working with the residents in the home. I show or explain how to complete all aspects of daily living to have each individual progress towards the independence they seek. Not enough administrative hours to be as effective as one could be. Most enjoyable part of my job would be the smile on the residents faces when they have learn to do something on their own
Pros
great coworkers, good atmosphere
Cons
support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Creative Work Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8