Credit Union 1 Employee Reviews

Best job ever!!!
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 7, 2016
The company love it's employees! They are very well at promoting within. You don't see many companies who put their workers first. At CU1 everyone rocks, no complaints!!!!!
Pros
EVERYTHING! Can't go wrong here
Cons
Only in Alaska!
Productive and fun place to work
Teller (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILNovember 23, 2015
Enjoyed the people I worked with immensely, and all of those I educated on their finances. It was a very gratifying experience. Good company to work for, with many challenges. This gave me a chance to gain more knowledge and find my strengths.
Good workplace; great manager
Teller (Former Employee) –  Libertyville, ILOctober 6, 2015
First banking job and I learned a lot! My manager, was extremely fair and always available to help in any way she could. Actually best manager I ever had! Always coached me and wanted to see me advance with the possibility to earn more. The hours were good and the scheduling accommodating when needed. I will say that they have a high expectation for their monthly loan goals. I was just starting that process, so I'm sure I could have had more to learn. Co-workers were awesome; always there for each other. I would say that my time at Credit Union 1 was good and I'm glad I had the opportunity.
Pros
Good manager, great opportunity!
Cons
Tough loan goal and senior management appears not to care about staff.
Awesome Place to Work!!!!!
Teller 2 (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 18, 2015
Employee and community caring company you wont find a better company to work for. I wish the Lower 48 had as equally as great of companies to work for.
Cons
the only one
Good place to start...BUT don't get too comfortable
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Libertyville, ILJune 24, 2015
The members are usually very pleasant, depending on the location you're working at. The last branch manager I worked with while with CU1 was by far the least knowledgeable person their. This isn't true about most other branches I worked and helped out at while with CU1 but she was a main reason I left. She was a branch manager who micromanaged and was not very helpful in helping answer member inquires. I got along well with my coworkers, everyone was friendly. Hardest part of my job was dealing with a branch manager who was not knowledgeable in her position. Most enjoyable part was building relationships with the members and helping them. I learned a lot while working at the credit union from previous managers and it has definitely benefited me in the long run. Great place to start but as I stated in my title, don't stay too long. Raises were not great unless you were getting a promotion and even than not the best.
Cons
Poor management at my location
Cool staff, bad management
Teller (Current Employee) –  ILJune 8, 2015
Some of the managers like to be dictators but know nothing about managing. Cool staff, but the pay is horrible for all the work they want you to do
n
Head Teller Lead (Former Employee) –  Northlake, ILMay 29, 2015
I was responsible to open the branch get it ready for the tellers.
Resolved tellers difference as well customer discrepancy.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Fast pace financial environment.
Head Teller (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 15, 2015
Overall Credit Union 1 has shown me the world of finance and taken it the step further then just basic transaction processing. It has shown me the next stage and growth of a financial institute that is genuinely interested in it's members financial well being and growth. As a non-profit organization I see the benefits that it advertises and promotes for its membership base.
Great company, good benefits, caring staff
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Rantoul, ILFebruary 6, 2015
A typical day at work starts off balancing the daily cash for each branch location. This consists of data entry, verifying cash shipments, and following up with the branch location if there are any discrepancies. Once this is done, I work on top priorities which can vary daily. Generally, I balance any ATM's, verify replenishments, withdrawals and residuals. When those are up to date, I continue my day working on entering and cutting any Accounts Payable checks that need to go out for the day. By mid-morning I work on any payrolls that have been sent to us in the mail. I post them, set up new payrolls, and send any back that have a closed account. Throughout the day, I can get new ATM's to balance or more A/P checks to issue. I also balance the general ledger for the payrolls that are received. This is done each day for the previous day.

I work well with all my co-workers. We have to work closely together to solve any problems because each of us may have hand in helping to balance a general ledger. For example, one employee will post all usage for an ATM, while a separate employee posts any residuals and replenishments and a third employee can post an over/short discrepancy. If there is an issue, I will have to communicate with one or all of them to figure out a solution.

The hardest part of my job is attempting to balance an ATM where the currency company is not fufulling their end of the deal, whether it be reporting balances incorrectly or not replenishing the ATM in a timely manner. When this happens, this can play a part in the general ledger being incorrect or I may
  more... not be able to balance the ATM.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when I can work through a challenging problem, working with my co-workers and coming up with a solution. If Accounting were easy, everyone would do it. The job requires patience and the ability to work well with others and problem solving skills.
Pros
excellent benefits
Office Work Financial Advisor
Loan Processor/Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 31, 2014
Answering phone calls, managing time, scheduling appointments solving customer financial problems and provide the best suited service (Auto loan, Certificates, Loans, Accounts, Money Markets etc.). I enjoyed maintaining a profound relationship with customers.
Pros
give customer financial freedom
Cons
employees not valued

Want to know more about Credit Union 1?

Ask a question
Little to no room for advancement
Mortgage Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 24, 2014
Given that this is a smaller company there is little to no room for advancement but the staff is very friendly and there is a family atmosphere. Great for a financial professional just starting off.
Great place for learning
Teller (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 14, 2014
I have learned a lot from working here in such a short time. The hardest part of my job is keeping track of all the rules and regulations. The flexibility and ability to schedule around classes makes this place a great place to work
Pros
flexibility
Cons
not much room for advancement
bad management
Teller (Former Employee) –  Northlake, ILSeptember 24, 2014
Worst financial institution I've worked for. Management is rude, unhelpful and micro-manages. The pay is horrible for what they expect you to do as a teller and sales goals are ridiculous and underpayed. Tellers get constantly watched on by supervisors/managers.Never worked for a manger that cared so little about their employees. Overall, horrible and miserable place to work.
Credit Union
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 8, 2014
A typical day consisted of balancing ATM machines, balancing and replenishing TCD machines, counting cash shipments, monitoring tellers, helping members with any problems they had, scheduling tellers for time off and weekend hours.
Serious
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2014
I had great co-workers and I enjoyed very much being part of a team. It was a great experience , I had learned very much from it.
Great experience gain
Head Teller (Current Employee) –  ChicagoNovember 5, 2013
I am grateful to this company for the opportunity and all the knowledge that I acquired here with the past years. I improved my management skills working together with management and employees. It is a friendly environment offering positive ethics and always been friendly.
Boring
Teller (Current Employee) –  Northlake, ILAugust 12, 2013
No room for advancement and pay is crappie for what is expected of employee.
Not terrible
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  springfield, ILApril 8, 2013
Pay was horrible, even after many years and several raises the pay was still not enough to live on. The hours were easy, the work was easy, but the office politics and gossip was annoying.
Pros
hours
Cons
pay, gossip and drama
Good stepping stone but not long term job
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Libertyville, ILMarch 14, 2013
Good place to get your feet wet but little room to advance with in company because most people in higher up positions retire out after being there a lifetime. Managment needs imporvement, not always a pleasant experience. They expect a lot without offering the neccessary products to make it happen.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
poor managing
Good financial career
Branch Member Service Specialist (Promotion) (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 24, 2013
It is a good job in which you help people with their financial needs. Credit Union 1 treats people as members not numbers.