Electrical Engineer – Sustaining CREE Inc.
We declare this as our universal goal: to make energy wasting, traditional lighting technologies obsolete through the use of energy-efficient, environmentally friendly LED Lighting. Cree is a premier innovator and manufacturer of semiconductors that enhance the value of solid-state lighting, power and communications products by significantly increasing their energy performance and efficiency. Our products and people are leading the LED lighting revolution and changing the way the world consumes energy.
Headquartered in the heart of Research Triangle Park (RTP) and founded by a group of researchers from NC State University, Cree is bringing clean-tech jobs to North Carolina. Want to grow professionally and promote green technology? We’re not just looking for engineers and scientists. We provide a broad range of career opportunities for every type of professional. Whether you’re a Programmer, an Accountant or a Buyer, there is a place for you at Cree.
We currently have an opening for a Sustaining Electrical Engineering Role within our LED Advanced Solutions group. This position will be stationed at our headquarters facility in Raleigh/Durham, NC.
The duties encompass performing root cause analysis, resolving product issues, supporting manufacturing to resolve power supply issues, end‐of‐life components replacements, cost down opportunities in addition to power supply layout updates to improve manufacturability as well as accommodating second source part. This role is cross‐functional and will require interfacing with a number of functional groups.
A successful candidate will have experience in the design, development and sustaining of power supply systems. Solid communication and self‐prioritization skills are also required.
- Develop technical solutions to known production, reliability, or performance problems.
- Define and perform required product verification tasks to approve second source components.
- Participate in designs that are “fast-tracked” to meet customer requirement changes and component obsolescence issues.
- Work closely with production and repair departments to improve diagnostic and maintenance procedures.
- Support the introduction of new products and be responsible for provision of all aspects of electrical engineering support following product introduction.
- Provide technical input/support for new and existing products, product enhancements and the introduction of product line extensions
- Identify opportunities to improve cost, quality and productivity across relevant processes.
- Acquire product and design knowledge that will be necessary to resolve issues, and support necessary design changes for the product line
- Understanding manufacturing processes to support the business unit in resolving continuity of supply issues with the product line
- Debug and modify analog and digital circuitry in a product design. This occasionally includes layout modification of printed circuit boards using CAD and custom design rules.
- Work with the test engineering to ensure product requirements are identified and adequate test coverage is developed. Support in the definition of appropriate test limits and monitoring of yields in association with the respective Product Engineer.
- BS in Electrical Engineering required
- Experience in supporting high volume production activities highly advantageous
- Power Electronics design and test experience desired
- Industry working knowledge of schematic entry and board layout such as Mentor Graphics DxDesigner and Mentor Graphics PADS required
- Demonstrated ability to work in a cross-functional team environment
- Must be capable of working independently in a lab environment