Crisis Text Line Employee Reviews

Beautiful support for potentially stressful work
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2018
We are crisis counselors, so we deal with crises. CTL, however, does whatever they can to make us feel supported, well-rested, appreciated and cared for. It's a wonderful community on a beautifully designed platform with a quick and easy training protocol. Everyone should sign up - little by little, we can help each other grow into amazing humans!
Extremely Supportive Team
Crisis Counselor - Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Prairie Grove, ARJanuary 12, 2018
The nature of this job can be emotionally taxing but the management team has been able to balance the difficult work with optimism. Dealing with people in distress can be wearing but knowing that you are making a difference is satisfying.
Meaningful volunteer opportunity
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 9, 2018
Crisis text line is a good place to gain volunteer experience and help others. You will learn how to help people in crises ranging from romantic breakups to suicidal thoughts. Work is on your own schedule and can be done at home. Staff and co-workers are supportive.
Pros
meaningful, good way to get experience, good training
Cons
unpaid volunteer opportunity
Great starting point.
Counselor- Crisis Intervention (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 5, 2018
Its a volunteer Position. But it is a great way to get experience working as a counselor and doing crisis work.

The work culture was wonderful. It was very large organization, but their was much support.

The work is very fast pace, but equally rewarding.
Great!
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 11, 2017
Amazing place to volunteer! Very accessible and thorough training for people who are not mental health professionals. Extremely rewarding. Highly recommend.
Great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Crete, ILNovember 5, 2017
Staff and volunteers are wonderful. There isnt a thing about CRISIS text line that is bed. The volunteers are all welcoming and genuinely great people.
Great Place
CRISIS COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2017
It is extremely rewarding helping others in their time of crisis.You are allowed to work around your schedule. The supervisors are extremely helpful if you have questions.
A rewarding volunteer program that I love
Volunteer Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Wentzville, MOSeptember 14, 2017
This is volunteer. It is an amazing company that gives people the opportunity to help others in need, I couldn't be more proud to be associated with such an amazing thing.
Pros
Rewarding
Helpful Environment
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Yucaipa, CASeptember 10, 2017
I am a volunteer for the Crisis Text Line and I choose my hours. It is easy to work the platform and they train us very well. Everyone of my supervisors have been very kind and helpful.
Pros
Choose Hours, Mental Health Tips
Cons
A little stressful
Crisis Text Line
Volunteer Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10010September 4, 2017
I have helped a​ ​diverse​ ​population​ of texters by ​being warm,​ ​empathetic,​ ​active​ ​listening,​ ​and​ ​critical​ ​thinking​ ​skills.​ ​You have to be able​ ​to​ ​think​ ​quickly​ ​and​ ​adapt​ ​to​ ​the​ ​texter’s​ ​needs​ ​in​ ​order​ ​to  develop​ ​rapport,​ ​de-escalate​ ​them​ ​during​ ​life​ ​threatening​ ​situations,  and​ ​assess​ ​them for​ suicide ​risk.​ ​De-escalating​ ​texters​ ​in​ ​crisis​ ​takes​ ​an​ ​immense amount​ ​of​ ​creativity,​ ​persistence,​ ​and​ ​patience. I have always found my supervisors on my shift to be greatly supportive and helpful at the times I need guidance. The culture is a diverse one and a great community to work in. My hardest part of my job is not having enough time to give. My most enjoyable part of the job is knowing while I'm there I am able to help texters even in the littlest ways.
Friendly workplace where many people are able to be helped.
Crisis Counselor Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Work from homeSeptember 4, 2017
A typical day of volunteering usually involves about ten people that I help who are in a crisis.

The most important thing I have learned through Crisis Text Line is how to be a crisis counselor. I have learned the important skills to bring a person from "a hot moment to a cool calm." Having people who are in a crisis is extremely stressful, so it was important for me to learn a routine to boost my self-care.

The management of Crisis Text Line is excellent. From training to actually volunteering, everyone is friendly and helpful. Any question I have, they are right there to help. My trainer still reaches out to me to check in on how I am doing.

The workplace culture of Crisis Text Line is also excellent. There are many different areas (within the website) you can go to chat with other crisis counselors and debrief about different cases. My peers are extremely supportive, which helps to take some of the edge off.

The hardest part of being a volunteer at Crisis Text Line is listening to extremely difficult stories and having to respond there are certain phrases that are natural to say, but as a crisis counselor we are not allowed to say, so it can be difficult to come up with an appropriate answer. Being a crisis counselor is mentally draining.

The most enjoyable part of the being a volunteer crisis counselor is being able to directly help people. Seeing a person who is mentally exhausted and done with life, turn into someone who is willing to get long term help is extremely satisfying.
Pros
Get to help people
Cons
Mentally draining
Experience
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 29, 2017
As a Crisis Counselor, this is purely a volunteer based work environment to assist individuals who are experiencing crisis. Wonderful support from supervisors and fellow Crisis Counselors. The knowledge gained through this experience is applicable for work and life.
I like it
Online Crisis Counselor position. (current) (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 16, 2017
I love working as a crisis counselor. I feel supported by my supervisors and coached and I feel like I am making a difference with my presence as I help people cope with their crisis.
Pros
supported, feel good
Cons
Volunteer
Awesome place to volunteer
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, NYAugust 13, 2017
If you're looking for a chance to help people, hone and perfect counseling skills as well as feel fulfillment in a volunteer workplace then CTL is the perfect organization for you. The staff is friendly and welcoming. It is difficult work but fellow counselors will help you every step of the way.
Amazing Company
CRISIS COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2017
A company that truly cares about not only the people they are helping but also their employees and customers. They are saving lives every minute and it is a pleasure volunteering for them.
Pros
Flexible.
Long Time Worker, Short Blindside
CRISIS COUNSELOR/SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  RemoteJuly 27, 2017
Great the first two years. One disagreement, and I decided to quit. I know I made the right decision once they met their data criteria their customer service went down and so did their ratings.
Great experience
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJuly 18, 2017
I learned so much from my time here with Crisis Text Line. I learned about crisis intervention and had the awesome support of my trainer and fellow crisis counselors.
Life changing experience
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2017
I enjoy working as a Crisis Counselor. I am changing lives one conversation at a time. Working here has made me a more compassionate, empathetic and determined individual.
Great place
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Cupertino, CAJune 23, 2017
Highly recommended. I do not want to fill out this review, but Indeed.com is forcing me to in order to post my resume. The CTL is truly an amazing place, but I'm not interested in discussing it here.
Amazing company to work for.
Crisis Intervention Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2017
Crisis text line has the most supportive network of people i have ever experienced. I didn't mind not getting paid there, saving lives were fulfilling enough.