Cristal Employee Reviews

Company with lack of leadership
Capital Projects Reliability Inspector (Former Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHMay 21, 2017
The management team here was lacking. I left because there was no room at all for advancement and the culture was horrible. Decent pay and benefits if you want to stick it out for that.
Memories of days gone by...
Worker (Current Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHApril 8, 2017
Cristal was a great place to work at until the culture shifted. Ownership shifted to a larger holding company and the culture went from a family-centered one to strictly cash flow. People that deserved raises were not given them and the HR department went south. The company has started making strides in the right direction. Pay is good for the area and benefits are pretty good. Hoping for a brighter future...
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Working with Un/Under qualified people that are promoted to management
The people are great but TiO2 is unstable
Scientist I, Analytical Research (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDAugust 20, 2016
The people are great. However there is no clear ladder of advancement and the TiO2 industry is unstable which causes the company to have job and salary freezes and/ or layoffs.
Company has gone through several management changes...
Previous Employee (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMay 25, 2016
The people that you work with on a daily basis are great. The pay and benefits were OK. Unfortunately, this company is very unstable and cut a great deal of jobs in 2015.

There isn't much promotion potential especially if you are a women, as this company is under Saudi rule (where women can't drive or travel unless they have a male relative escort). Therefore, the opportunities in technical fields in this company are virtually non-existent.

If they don't turn things around, they will go under.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Limited opportunities, poor financial management
Fast Paced, ever changing work
corporate employee (Former Employee) –  variousNovember 3, 2015
Good for a short termed position, lack of management, no true forward vision, unrealistic expectations for growth, unrealistic KPI's and Profit Margins.
Pros
compensation
Cons
cultural bias
A nice place to work that is moving on up in the world
Quality Control Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHApril 11, 2013
At our facility we make Titanium Dioxide. In the lab we work 12 hour swing shift. Makes for very long days but the time off is great. The Day starts at 6 am with samples coming in every 2 hours starting at 7am. Some of the testing is quick and some testing takes at least an hour per sample. I have learned many things about testing and new equipment since I have been here which was never in my career plans to work at a factory.

Some of the management is helpful and some are not. Co-workers in my department for the most part are here to put their time in and get out. We are normally left alone to do our jobs with minimal imput from our supervisor.

There really isn't a hard part to my job except when I get slammed with samples that I was not expecting.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the time off. 14 days a month!
Pros
close to home and nice people to work with on my shift.
Cons
no advancement available in my department