Cross Keys Village - The Brethren Home Community traces its roots to 1908 when the Brethren Home for the Aged at Huntsdale was founded at a farmhouse near Carlisle by Southern Pennsylvania District church leaders and congregations. They saw the need for a place where aging widows could receive a compassionate helping hand.
That small facility, which soon housed both women and men, operated successfully, with some expansion, for more than 40 years until the house was destroyed by fire in 1951. Fortunately, the residents and staff escaped the blaze.
Responding to this adversity, trustees and other supporters decided to purchase the Cross Keys Hotel near New Oxford. This relocated "the home" to a larger building. The new facility opened on October 20, 1952, and soon was serving twice as many residents as had been at Huntsdale.
Expansion since then has been all but continuous. The old hotel building was razed in the 1970s, and the The Brethren Home evolved into a modern continuing care retirement community, with nursing care, subacute and rehabilitation services, adult day care, and adult residential housing,both assisted and independent. As the facility grew, it attracted residents of all faiths.
In 1987 the name was changed to The Brethren Home Community, reflecting the diverse population now served. In more than 50 years at Cross Keys, the campus has grown from 19 acres to more than 250. Much of the new space is devoted to residential housing for more than 500 "villagers" in cottages, homes and apartments of various sizes. Support facilities also have grown and now include Nicarry Meetinghouse with its space for worship and other activities, and the Campus Inn and Community Center.
Throughout the changes, the strong ties with the Church of the Brethren have remained a constant. The Southern Pennsylvania District offices are located on campus, and the support from Brethren churches and individuals has remained a constant, as has the commitment to the denomination's long-held value of compassionate service.
A leader in the non-profit continuing care retirement community, the facility became Cross Keys Village - The Brethren Home Community in 2006, reflecting the unity of all its services. Whatever the name, though, the campus remains a place where Christian love has been demonstrated daily since 1908. – less–ZoomInfo