Crowe Horwath LLP Employee Reviews

worked in my own area and there are no complaints
SENIOR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 19, 2017
No complaints, however, the employee evaluations were mostly geared toward management, not toward clerical, I believe they were trying to update that.
Pros
Flexible, meetings/Classes w/lunch; ability to work from home
Typical day at my workplace
Manager, Risk andComplince (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2017
My job at work starts with a glance at the days activities, meetings and work schedules. I enjoy my meetings with managers & company executives. The meetings with team informs me about the progress made in various current projects. The workplace environment is relaxed, but very motivating.

My team enjoys their work and do not mind working long hours. They are also encouraged to take breaks and occasionally enjoy outdoor activities.

The hardest part of my job is to provide enough time to all customers and satisfy their requirements while providing encouragement to communicate and coordinate.

The most enjoyable part is to overcome the hardest part and provide value and satisfaction to all customers.
Pros
Travel facilities and policies
Cons
Making good and productive use of travel time
Good place to start your career as a consultant
Senior Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 11, 2017
Good company great work and life balance. Been working here for 5 years and really like the team environment. Only thing i do not like is it is not enough diversity.
Pros
Work from home. Jeans are promoted to be worn in the office.
Cons
Needs more diversity.
Washington, DC office very sparse
Risk Management BU Intern/Junior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 5, 2017
A typical day involved coming into the office and choosing a cubicle from one of about thirty. People are rarely in the office so it can get very lonely and quiet.
Pros
free coffee and snacks
Cons
little DC presence
Option away from big 4
Staff Auditor (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 19, 2017
I can't say too much bad or great about Crowe. I went into the company expecting to work in one or more areas and was confined to a single area that didn't match my goals. People were pretty good people and the atmosphere has improved since I left.
Pros
Casual Attire
Cons
Stressful work environment.
Great Place to Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2017
You will work hard, but you will be well compensated and the culture is great. The company is leading in its industry as far as work life balance, encouraging employees to work from home when it makes sense, flexible on when you work if you meet your deadlines, dress for your day policy, etc.
Summary
Tax Staff (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 4, 2017
Great place to start one's career. They have an excellent training program for those out of college. The are a great alternative to the Big Four CPA firms.
Great place to work at with some great professionals
Staff Tax Accountant (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 2, 2017
Crowe Horwath is a great place to work at. One will be able to acquire a lot of different skill set and knowledge by working there. The environment is professional in the office but also laid back. People there are great to work for and understand the need for life and work balance.
I worked there as a temporary contractor, not an employee
Instructional Designer (2009) (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILApril 19, 2017
I was part of a 4-person project team hired to create a training program for some of Crowe's employees. The people were friendly and helpful, but our contact with them was fairly limited. The course was completed on time and delivered by their own staff.
Pros
Good, stable company
Cons
The accounting industry is not my cup of tea.
Travel and Challenging Review
Business Risk Consultant Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2017
-Extensive travel to clients across the East coast
-Focused on the Finance Institutions Group
-Experienced working with different teams from different locations, which helps build team orientation skills
-Process and documentation to understand the business' risk
-Engaging management
Strong team members
Partner, Senior Manager, Manager (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILMarch 17, 2017
Depending on the role, each day can bring curveballs. There are roles for dynamic individuals and individuals that want to have an idea of what they are going to be doing.
It all depends on what area of the firm you work in.
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 20, 2017
Firm leadership is forward-looking and inspiring. Crowe is an accounting and consulting firm, and I assume that the reality of the work is relatively close to the ideals espoused at the firm. However, the people in the "support" groups, such as Marketing, Human Resources, IT, etc., live a different reality.

Because these groups are considered cost centers, their resources are less than what is necessary to bring about the expected results in any reasonable manner. In addition, the firm bureaucracy presents difficulties with accomplishing anything substantive or bringing about real change. The stress leads to a lot of complaining and backbiting and not enough trust and effective teamwork. It also leads to people taking the easy route (e.g., cutting corners, pleasing only a particular partner, saying what people want to hear) rather than doing the right thing (what is right for the firm as a whole, telling the naked truth).

The overall culture is fairly conservative. More flamboyant, creative, or otherwise unusual types are not encouraged to be themselves and don't necessarily fit in. There's a nice "Midwestern" vibe - which can be a good thing but often results in passive aggressive behavior when people choose to be polite and not say directly what they mean.

I honestly believe that the accounting and consulting professionals do excellent work that brings value to the companies the firm works for. They don't stay with the firm long if they're not incredibly smart and hard-working. However, the support groups suffer from the daily stress of being undervalued and subject
  more... to unrealistic demands for good work done quickly without the resources needed to deliver it.  less
Pros
Nice people, smart people, growing firm that's in good financial health; very good benefits
Cons
Stressful every single day
Best Places to Work
Partner (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAFebruary 10, 2017
After merging with Crowe, Horwath ("Crowe") in 2008 I found it to be a fantastic place to work. They are an expanding national CPA and consulting firm employing over 2,400 employees. I was a partner in Grobstein, Horwath & Co., LLP until the merger at which time I was retained as a partner in the bankruptcy and litigation consulting practice. The firm was very much people oriented and constantly received Best Places to Work awards in several states. In terms of the bankruptcy practice I really enjoyed the work, particularly with the professionals in the various law firms. Unfortunately, our work was negatively impacted by the improving economy and it resulted in making the decision to retire in March, 2015,
Pros
The professional environment, the caring for its people and most importantly working with our clients
Cons
Nothing with respect to the firm itself.
Excellent firm to start your career at
Audit Senior - Business Risk, Internal Audit (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 28, 2017
I learned a lot and gained a lot of valuable experience. It is an excellent work-place. The people are excellent and the environment is really nice. Everyone is very helpful.
Great Work Environment
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 12, 2017
Crowe Horwath is a great firm that provides employees with great benefits and a great environment to work in. We have free sodas, snacks, and coffee in our break room and the occasional catered in lunch. Even though the firm is the 7th largest firm in the nation, the Atlanta office is still relatively small. I like this for I was able to meet and get to know most coworkers. The work itself can be cumbersome at times but that I knew would be the case considering it's a public accounting firm. The hardest part of the job is the learning curves you have to get over. However, Crowe does a good job of giving you all the training you need so it's not as hard as it may seem at first.
Great job
Healthcare Consultant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 10, 2017
This job was very focused and a driven environment. This is a very innovative place to work, so be ready to bring your ideas to the table. The benefits were amazing.
Staff and Sr. Audit Staff
Senior Staff - General Audit (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILNovember 28, 2016
Crowe Horwath is a public accounting, consulting, and technology firm with offices across the globe. Connecting deep industry and specialized knowledge with innovative technology, our dedicated professionals create value for our clients with integrity and objectivity.
Great place to get experience and learn
Staff Auditor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 28, 2016
Really great place to get experience and grow in the accounting industry. Good people. Good culture. I would suggest it to anybody looking to work in public accounting.
Overall Good
Senior Audit Staff (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INOctober 4, 2016
The company has a lot of flexibility in what you want to do and depending on the people you work under you can have a lot of one on one time.
Under-staffed
Senior Accountant - Fed Tax (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2016
Can be a fun place to work if the office politics stopped. Zero work life balance. There is a major disparity in who gets promoted and salary increases.The current CEO is working tirelessly to make positive changes and new initiations. All in all I am optimistic about the direction of the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Crowe Horwath LLP. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval