Crown Cork & Seal Employee Reviews

Bad management/employee relationships.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHMarch 1, 2017
Job security is very low. You don't know if you'll be working all year or will there be an unplanned shutdown. Company policies are not well thought out.
Pros
Easy work
12 hour swing shifts and no communication
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, OHJanuary 31, 2017
The pay and benefits are good. The people on the production floor are for the most part good to work with. There is little to no communication from the administration. Verging on the line of them being sneaky about major changes without notice. Along with 12 hour swing shifts they are now trying to take away our ability to use our vacation in 2,4,8 or 10 hour incraments wich is very helpful when needing to spend time with our families and attend our childrens school functions, or reunions, things like that. Then say if we dont like that they can take away our flex time as well. Lots of division between administration and the floor workers. Leading the floor workers to feel like we have to take action to protect our benifits from future infringement. We are one of the very few plants that are non union. Hopefully we can keep it that way.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, and time off
Cons
No communication, little care for workers family life
Not for everyone, company does not care about thier emplyees
Quality Auditor (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, ILJanuary 8, 2017
Not family oriented. All about almighty dollar. Company does not care about emplyees. A union job and union will not take care of you. I got cheated out of my job. I wouldn't recommend working here. The employees on the floor where fun to work with
Production-oriented company with emphasis on overtime
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Alsip, ILJanuary 4, 2017
I can only write of my own experience, and perhaps of what others have shared with me of their experiences. Overall, I have been unhappy working for Crown for the majority of my employment there, and I am not alone in that.
While I have learned much in a short time for my position, it seems to never be enough.
A typical night is very hectic, always trying to accomplish three or more tasks at once. Having two inspectors per shift is not enough to do the work of three or sometimes four inspectors at once.
Management seems to be quite inadequate, as among other things, something as simple as communication is absent for the most part.
As with any other company, there are some coworkers who are accommodating to work with, while others are nearly impossible.
The hardest part of my job at Crown might be the shift hours and lack of consideration by management, not to mention the high stress levels, pressure, and the aforementioned lack of communication. Working off-shift hours does take a physical and mental toll, however it is only viewed as just another shift.
The pay, however, is good (once you achieve a promotion), and the insurance is quite good.
Overtime is a double-edged sword, in that it is well more than plentiful, whether you want it or not, whether you are able to work it or not.
Pros
Good pay, good insurance
Cons
Lack of communication or overall concern for labor employees
temporary job
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sugarland, TXDecember 21, 2016
it was only a temporary job. provided great hours for a short amount of time. started working with the company through a temporary work service called ManPower.
Lots of overtime
PRODUCTION LINE MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIDecember 20, 2016
70 hour work weeks are common. The best part about working there is the group of hourly employees that have called that place home over the years. The hardest part is staying positive when the company doesn't show its appreciation or respect for the hard work that its employees preform daily.
Not fun bogus place to work,,
Stripper (Current Employee) –  Faribault, MNDecember 4, 2016
They are really petty about everything and management sucks unless your a man. I liked the job but not the people that work there. The management is really contradicting like they said I was one of the best workers their but then want to fire me. Doesn't make sense. They didn't really give me a reason for firing me either.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Short breaks. Petty management
not bad place to work
apprenticeship program (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHNovember 28, 2016
first real job for me. money was good at the time. worked a lot of hours, but i was young. working conditions were ok, but loved the coworkers i worked with.
Pros
money
Cons
to many hours
Traditional Manufacturing Company
CAD Drafting Technician (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHOctober 29, 2016
I was with Crown for about 3 years and it truly opened my eyes to what engineering and manufacturing is like, almost like a culture shock. It was my first industry job out of college, but I started as a paid co-op with them during my second year earning my associates degree. So in the beginning my work/life balance was a little hectic since I was balancing full time work and school with an hour (one way) commute Monday-Friday. Once I graduated with my 2 year degree i was given an informal offer that turned into a full time salaried position on their corporate engineering team as a Drafting Technician which would turn into a proper engineer after some training was completed. The people I came to know truly invested whatever they could into my future to develop a strong work ethic and an attention to detail. While the management was a bit hard nosed, it was mostly due to the potential they knew i had and could achieve. My most enjoyable experience in the job was traveling to our different locations in the US to assist in their improvement processes, The most "difficult" part of this position was trying to help them update their engineering process they had been doing for the past 40 years. They were open (enough) to hear e out, but a little slow on the draw to commit to any real improvement. Overall I truly enjoyed working for this company and would recommend them to any one looking for an experience.
Good company with good benefits
Maintenance Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, OHOctober 23, 2016
The company promotes from within and supports the staff and employees in their job duties. The work environment is good and the employees are great to work with on the job.
Pros
Great Health Care
Amazing Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAAugust 16, 2016
Crown is an amazing place to work. The employees are amazing and help with everything you need. The skills that I have learned while working here are skills that I will be able to take anywhere.
Great plce to advance in metalurgy
Journeyman Mechanic / Production Engineer (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, ILJuly 21, 2016
Making aerosol cans is their business. They require someone who can produce as many as possible in an eight hour period. Overtime is required of all employees.
Pros
Excellent pay with overtime; great insurance and benefits
Cons
Short, sometimes no breaks
Great place to work.
Front end operator, Fork Lift driver 10 years. (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 7, 2016
Great hours 7 til 7, 4 months days then 4 months nights. Preventive maintenance over time every week if you wanted to work. I love that job, trying to get back to that line of work. Great place to work. Learned how to break down machines find the problem fix it or replace the bad part then put it back together and get it running again.
Pros
I would never leave that kind of job that was my home.
Cons
Power failure, black outs, bad snow stroms
Line Mechanic Press
Line mechanic press (Former Employee) –  Alsip, ILJuly 7, 2016
The press supervisor has no clue what is going on most of the time. 10-12hr shifts are the norm. Overtime on saturdays is scheduled when there is no need for it. Very short handed mechanics in press department due to high turnaround. New mechanics come in at last about two months and quit because of the exceasive overtime and lack of leadership in management. Pay is decent. Not a place to work if you have a family and enjoy spending time with them. Supervisors will sit in air conditioned office and you might not see them until the end of your shift.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Excessive overtime including saturdays, lack of leadership, extremely hot during summer
Not a long term Job.
Line Mechanic/Operator (Current Employee) –  Alsip, ILMay 9, 2016
It is your typical Factory job. I've learned how to run a production job and what bad management is like. There are great people there to work with but the hardest part of the job is having to deal with all the last min changes that you have to deal with that will effect your personal life.
Productive days
Production Mechanic/Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 8, 2016
Not a bad place to work if your like getting dirty and having a nice work out lifting logs and wood. Owner was a very nice and out going person.
I Enjoyed my Tenure there
Chemical Process Operator/Front End Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 4, 2016
It was a place Where i was able to expand my talents & skills. My Co-Workers where some of the best in the business. There I learned a great deal more than my other Jobs because of the opportunity to move up in the company
Pros
The Training Programs they offered where exemplory
Cons
I would have liked to retire from there. They closed our Plant due to lack of product need
Easy Job
Transfer Packer (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 16, 2016
This position was easy work, long hours. Good pay and benefits, and retirement. Job was eliminated for robots. Could not advance
very competitive environment, place to learn with my first experience as a supervisor
Shipping and Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carolina, PRJanuary 10, 2016
Crown Cork offer me an excellent opportunity to grow as a person with real life situation, stress challenge and motivation
fast paced production plant
electronic technician (Current Employee) –  Cheraw, SCJanuary 6, 2016
typically troubleshoot and repair plant equipment to keep things running in a production facility, fast paced , very hot environment, benefits are good , employees work together
Pros
insurance 401k pension
Cons
a lot of overtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Crown Cork & Seal. Our community is ready to answer.