CRST Expedited Employee Reviews in United States

High Stakes
Fleet Manager (Current Employee) –  Trussville, ALOctober 26, 2015
Middle management is aloof, they sit on conference calls with senior management for hours on end, unable, and unwilling to assist with driver issues or needs.

The company will hire any driver with a heartbeat and a CDL and it is your job to make them suitable to run their own business.

Charts, graphs and other meaningless utilization figures are thrown at you at a rapid pace from upper management, the majority of which have never ran a truck or even dispatched one, so they have no reference of what someone should do, just what they have been told by their superior is the right 'numbers to hit'.

The entire company goes through sporadic 'culture changes' and after 2 weeks they go away.

I've heard of Fleet Managers making $50k a year, I'm not there and I've been here for over 4 years.

They do not care about a home life. work life balance. Stay until the job is done.
Pros
It pays ok
Cons
terrible management
Great place to learn to drive truck, and good benifits
driver (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAMarch 21, 2016
If you want to be away from home this is your job. They teach everything you need to know. Short contract to pay them back for school. only ten months. They will match your medical savings account. Most people do not take full advantage of all the benefits they offer.

Good job if you like to drive and be away from home. Good pay and fast raises.
Pros
free rent, you live in a truck
Cons
if you want to be at home, married kids ect. not a good job
Like working in a high school
Driver Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Birmingham ALJanuary 27, 2016
This was an ok job. I went through what they called training for recruiting. Once I started recruiting I had 8 drivers scheduled to start working in the first 2 weeks after training which is a lot in that amount of time. Then it became very cliquey. I noticed that if you weren't "in" with the cool kids that things wouldn't go so great for you. Someone said that I was going around asking everyone for money. (of course I was not doing anything like that). It was reported to our immediate manager who called his manager who called corporate. The immediate manager was of course "in" this clique so everything was against me from the start. I was fired because of something I never did and because this place was a big high school. Drama and jealousy and stupid craziness.
Pros
Can't think of one
Cons
Pretty much everything
Fleet manager only cares about self
driver class a (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 12, 2016
All the horror stories are true, management keeps you on hold. They don't care about the driver. Home time if you get it is always approved late and when you do get home time they try to rush you back to work. My truck was down for a week while I was on home time. I submitted the proper macro before I left . I ended up sitting two days waiting on another truck. When I did get the truck and a load I was sent out to pick up a cancelled load. Its like they sent me out after sitting the required 48 hours, and the next 24 hours would have gotten me paid for my down time . Management is very slow in responding to you or your request. They simply play games with peoples lives. I ended up sitting a week. I run on a 20/10 team we're supposed to get 5k miles a week since after 20 days we are off 10 days. Whatever you do don't sign up for that . Management only thinks that their lives matter. We all have responsibilities but they don't another company would probaly appreciate you more. Another thing I found out is that this company is slow to reinburst your tolls and any other expense you incurr.
Starter company if you have zero experience.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 14, 2015
The company is managed well with an eye on increasing profitability and longevity. Unfortunately, this does somewhat come at the expense of the general employee. They basically thrive on a steady flow of new and inexperienced drivers, pulling in hundreds of employees a month, filtering out the ones that cannot make it for various reasons and then the rest are used up for their contract length and then either resign or leave for other companies.

That being said, if you have no family, no ties to anything outside yourself and can function under a constant state of motion it is likely as good a place as any to start and better than some. Do not do this, if you love anyone, for you will never see them.
Pros
The will get you your Class A and Endorsements.
Cons
Long hours, lonely work and too much down time on the road.
This company should be ashamed
Fleet Manager, Phone (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 4, 2016
This company screws over its own employees to remain a company in the black. Several different practices put in place drive this company to get around DOT regulations and destroy the lives of their employees if they make it through training. Recruiters lie to get these people with no job and no money up to Cedar Rapids from all over the country. Once here and stuck they have no money to live on and if they flunk out of trucking school CRST doesn't send them home. They're on their own. Terrible.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Terrible management, shady practices
good place to starte a trucking carrier
over the road driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 10, 2016
learning the trucking business,i learned the dot rules and regulations,didnt get to know management mostly delt with dispach,coworkers were very informative,staying away from home long periods of time,getting pasid was the best part of the job for me
Pros
learning the trucking business
Cons
staying away from home long periods of time
Nightmare of a company
Team Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 14, 2016
From day one, working with CRST can be described as nothing short of a "cluster". While I won't go into details, it's enough to say that I went through a month of pure drama, spending more than 1 night in fear of being throw out on a side walk in Atlanta or a number of other places...I was working a full time job, with 10 hour shifts for CRST and still had to borrow money from family to eat because they messed up payroll.

Anyone reading this, I am being as frank as I possibly can. This company does not have its "stuff" together! stay away!

As for the job it self, I loved it. The hours where hard and being away from family was hard, but the things you got to see and the places you got to go, where just wonderful. There is nothing like driving west of Denver through the mountains and getting to look to either side and think "Man this is one heck of an office view."
Pros
Cons
Long down time, constant struggle with payroll, poor driver managment.
you work for free
what do you think (Former Employee) –  KansasJune 2, 2016
Those five star rating are probably from upper management trying to recruit more victims. Sure they will pay for your rental and you share a room with strangers during training. Once you get released make sure you have money to support yourself the first month. This company takes all your check. You will find that out when you see all the deductions and $0 for you. On top of that when your truck breaks down oh they will fix it but guess what you can walk yourself to the nearest hotel and pay for it yourself. Without expecting to get reimbursed. Last but not least you don't get to see your family all that time let alone send them money. Just a bad choice.
Pros
one day rental
Cons
no pay check let alone benefits.
Over The Road Truck Driver
Truck Driver (Over the Road) (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 25, 2016
A typical day at work as a team driver was inspecting the truck and trailer, hook up to load, and figuring out and mapping out the route.

I learned how to communicate with my co-driver and my dispatcher.

Seemed to work well with management and their expectations of me.

The hardest part of the job was the ten and a half hour shifts.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being trainer of the different people with whom I trained in a year's time period.
Pros
While training people to drive i learned more about the different personalities.
Cons
Was on the road for month at a time, was home four days at a time.

Want to know more about CRST Expedited?

Ask a question
fun place to work
DIESEL MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PADecember 3, 2015
management isn't the best very un organized and shows favoritism other than that great shop to work for great benefits and no training great pay
Cheap Freight, very deceitful
L/P (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 28, 2016
If you like working for a company that will deceive you to commit to freight, then stick you under a cheap load for 5-6 days (which normally would have been 3).. then by all means work for CRST..

working for $1-1.2 a mile as a LP then being stuck with 0.09 per mile for a student and 0.15 every mile truck moves for maintaince... then a huge deadhead. is ridiculous..

yeah, they have miles, but miles is no good unless you have a decent rate... at the rates they offer the only way to make money is train, and run over 5k miles a week.
Pros
Mileage
Cons
Bad Rate, Deceiving drivers
Productive and fun work invironment
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 9, 2015
I worked here for 3.5 years. I loved the environment and customers I served.
The Management was okay; we lost several while I was there.
The GM is a joke though; She is rude and disrespectful.
I miss my customers.
Pros
Free Lunches, good pay
Cons
Disrespectful GM, SoSo benefits
I was able to see new things around the country
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 31, 2015
A typical day would be picking up a load some where and delivering it to where it needs to go. How to become a better driver. I didn't like management vary well. I got along with my co- driver well. Living on the road, your a number rather than a name. seeing different parts of the country.
Pros
seeing the country
Cons
being away from home for a mounth at a time or so.
Fast pace environment
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 12, 2015
Never a dull moment was a typical day. Driving 6-7 hours as new driver. Learned safety is first and foremost. Management was stressful due to the high volume of new drivers. Co-workers were hungry and very eager and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was the limited support system from management. The most enjoyable part of the job was the encouragement shared from driver to driver.
Pros
Good start for a new driver
Cons
Lack of healthcare benefits
You live in a truck
Company Driver Over the Road (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 15, 2016
Driving a truck has a lot of ups and downs. I drove all 48 states and it was drop and hook. Point A to B, all over. 11 hours driving,12 hours sleeping every day for a month at a time. I had a bad manager and a great one, I drove with my wife so my co-worker was amazing. I loved traveling the country and getting paid to do that. It was hard leaving my family for long time periods, but being able to be financially stable was worth it.
Pros
see the country
Cons
not much of a life outside of trucking
Challenging atmosphere brings out the best in people
Load Planner (Current Employee) –  Morton, ILJuly 10, 2015
Fast paced and challenging environment that brings out the drive and motivation in people to succeed. Large disconnect between home office and satellite facilities can bring about feelings of lack of inclusion.
Pros
Good compensation and potential for advancement
Cons
No potential for advancement if you are employed outside of corporate
N/a
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 21, 2015
Drive trucks to weigh stations before and after loading and along routes in compliance with state regulations. Couple or uncouple trailers by changing trailer jack positions, connecting or disconnecting air or electrical lines, or manipulating fifth-wheel locks.
Check conditions of trailers after contents have been unloaded to ensure that there has been no damage. Perform basic vehicle maintenance tasks, such as adding oil, fuel, or radiator fluid or performing minor repairs. Crank trailer landing gear up or down to safely secure vehicles. Read and interpret maps to determine vehicle routes.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
do not truck load with them.
dispach (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52406November 16, 2015
WORST CARRIER COMPLIANCE IV EVER EXPERIENCED

they told me i got a load, then that they needed more paperwork , then told me after all day of hassle that i didnt get the load. wasted my time and money. idiots.

jodee denklau should be fired immediately
Pros
dispach was fine
Cons
jodee denklau worst worker of all time
The worst jiob i've ever been apart of
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 11, 2015
Just miserable. I hated my fleet manager. never gave me my home time, I was out for a whole month before. Their maintenance people never fixed trucks, I had two trucks shut down on me. they fired me just so I would have to pay them 4,000. and now I can not get on with any truck company until I pay that off. just wish I did more research on them before I signed my life over to them.
Pros
Learned and see new things
Cons
unfair

2.7