CRST Expedited Employee Reviews

are you tuff enough?
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 20, 2017
this a place where you can get a CDL, without paying up front . You will risk your life every day on the road and drive with some of the most pathetic people in the U.S.The company has many legal problems and other nefarious problems. Most of the managers are trainees and have no idea what they are doing. If you like sitting at truck stops for days without pay you will like this place
Pros
paid twice, a week decent trucks
Cons
unable to provide basic tools needed to work, risk your life every day
Everything I was hoping for
Lease Operator (Current Employee) –  OTROctober 18, 2017
I have been working as a CRST Lease Operator for about 7 1/2 months. I have always heard a lot of negative things about the company and was skeptical about coming to work here, but my recruiter assured me the company has made lots of positive changes. Man!... He wasn't kidding! I'm making more than I have ever made in 20+ years of driving for other companies. They have lots of freight, plus I get home for 4 days EVERY 14 days. Also, I was concerned about mentoring someone, but I have to say I love it! And getting paid for the miles my trainee drives doesn't hurt either!
Pros
No waiting on any loads.
This Company doesn't lie
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  USAOctober 16, 2017
You will get paid in this company, not unlike other trucking companies that say they will pay you good, and few weeks in, they won't work you as much.
Pros
$250 stipend un taxed a month
Cons
if not dedicated, too many trailer chasing and downtime
Good job for drivers that just started their career
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 15, 2017
Inspect my tractor and trailer for any damage that needs to be repaired so that I can have a safe trip plan my route As well as my lunch and breaks so that I can make my load on time.
Always pay attention to traffic while traveling on the road to keep myself safe and other vehicles in my surrounding area .
Management can be very professional but need to work on planning I would prefer less wait time for Loads.
Peaceful but has times that’s not so pleasant after finishing my shift try to go to sleep on a bumpy ride sometimes it’s very irritating
The hardest part about the job is waiting for loads but not getting paid for your wait time .
The most enjoyable time about my job deliver my load on time keeping the customer happy .
Pros
Pay vacations PTO 401(k) plan medical dental and visionOpportunities
Cons
Miles driving and not paid for as well as wait time for loads
Typical trucking industry culture.
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 11, 2017
I worked myself ragged at this company. 14 hour days, 7 days a week for 2-3 months at a time before I could get home for a 4 day leave. But I performed excellently and was promoted. I was even offered a position as a Lead Driver Trainer.
Pros
Lots of work to be done.
Cons
Minimal pay for first 6 months
Decent place
Truck Driver (OTR) (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 6, 2017
Is a good place to work for. They will give you Mike to run as long as you keep moving you can make money. I Got on a few dedicated runs and they were great.
lack of work, & no hometime
Otr Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 4, 2017
it had good managers but it lacked work loads to pay for the truck they assign you. They also never got me home when requested after being gone for months at a time.
Pros
managers
Cons
work load
good money, relaxed job, beautiful sites while driving
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 28, 2017
relaxed job if you love traveling, its like being your own boss, gives you ample amount of time to deliver loads, they pay for schooling, fleet managers work with you, nice newer model trucks
Pros
large company keeps you making money
Cons
long time on the road with little hometime
it was very fun
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 20, 2017
i learn how to driving in all kind or weather. i seen all the states the management help me a lot and was there for me.the workplace was a lot on hand on hand i like that .the hardest part was going to sleep scary i was going to miss something.i enjoyable it all everything .i would love to work for them again.
Overall I really enjoy being an Expert Transportation Specialist.
OTR Company Driver Trainer (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 18, 2017
I have been given opportunities to grow and receive training for career advancement. I really enjoy training others to become professional truck drivers.
Pros
I appreciate being acknowledged for my Expertise as a Professional Truck Driver
Cons
I would like to spend more time at home with my family.
Only want inexperienced drivers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 30, 2017
Came over from another company with 1 1/2 years driving experience. Intended to run teams with a friend who got his CDL through CRST. After my first day of orientation I was told I'd only receive .35 cpm for 6-11 months experience. Was also told I'd be on a "probationary period" for a ticket I took to court and won. My motor vehicle record was clear. No violations. I tried to present them with a copy of my MVR , and a signed letter from the owner of my previous company stating I had 1 1/2 years experience. They didn't even want to see them. Just kept repeating they couldn't verify. I told them I left a job for .50 a mile to help my friend through his first year of trucking. All I wanted was the .38 cpm for the 12+ months of experience I had. And to not be on any type of probationary period for a dismissed ticket. They wouldn't work with me whatsoever. So I drove the 1200 miles back to NH from Iowa with my friend.
Not good
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 27, 2017
Learned alot only cause of my trainer,They make you drive your butt off.managment will fire you for a simple little reason.its hardest part is the lack of hometime.best part for a new driver is the 4 weeks with trainer.
Pros
learn to drive
Cons
no hometime
A good place to start
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 26, 2017
Your typical day will begin with a pre-trip inspection and then hit the road. If you don't yet have your load, you'll drive your truck and empty trailer to the shipper of your next assigned load. When you arrive at your load, you check in with the shipping office, drop your empty and hook to your load. You check your paperwork to make sure all is in order, inspect your load trailer to make sure it is road ready and the seal is intact. If all is in order, you head for your destination. After your mandatory break, you hit the road again and drive until you are running low on hours or reach your destination. Once you reach your destination, you check in with the receiving office and drop your trailer where instructed and hook onto an empty for the trip to your next load. This begins the cycle over again. Right after hire, this will be your typical routine. After a few weeks, you'll be assigned a team mate to share the truck and load and you'll trade off driving and sleeping to keep the load moving. Expect to be gone several weeks and home a couple of days before heading out again.
Pros
Good potential for lots of miles and decent pay.
Cons
Gone a lot (bad for quality time with family), issues with load assignments sometimes cause down time
Truck Driver
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 22, 2017
Complete travel plan, route and fueling. Determining how long it would take to complete the load delivery. Communicating closely with my Driver Manager and Co-Driver.
I learned that you must do research on the company prior to signing contracts. Talk to drivers already doing to job to know what to expect and if this is the company for you.
Management is not very professional and not very concerned about the drivers.
Workplace culture was not good, there were no standards nor ethics but high expectations.
The hardest part of the job was doing the work and not being compensated, receiving a paycheck with a negative dollar amount. Never have I worked for a company that would take your full paycheck.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
Pros
Low Pay $0.25 per mile
Cons
Some good people
Alright Starter company
Team Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 4, 2017
If you are looking to obtain your Class A CDL, CRST is a fair starter company to work for. This is not a local company. This company is team and OTR. You do receive full training and your contract with them is only 8 months. You don't pay anything to CRST. Your 8 month contract takes care of that. Downside of this company is you will have more downtime than you actually drive. It helps if you and your co-driver have Hazmat Endorsements. If so, you have the advancement to stay running because there are more Hazmat load available than that of on hazmat loads. However you are not paid a great deal. You start off with the lowest pay grade cpm. The miles are split between you and your co-driver, which determines how much you get paid a week.
other downside of this company is they do not get you home when they are supposed to! They tend to keep you out longer than need be. They do not take an immediate initiative to getting their drivers home on time as they should!
Don't do it
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAJuly 26, 2017
If you do stay for the 10 month contract and then get a better job look them up there are plenty out there that pay way more I left after 6 months now make 85,000 a year all they wanted was 6 months experience
culture
Driver Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJuly 24, 2017
CRST is a fast passed company they are descent and have worked on improving their culture for all employees. My time at CRST I have gained recruiting knowledge and learned to be an independent worker.
terrible
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 20, 2017
fleet managers were very disrespectful. didnt like it at all. kinda put a bad taste in my mouth for truck driving being that it was my first driving job
Pros
sight seeing
Cons
rushed u back to work
bad pay for new drivers
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLJuly 20, 2017
It was times I didnt have enough money to eat to survive on the road. Was doing alot of layovers and layover pay is not that good. I could of made more money staying home working mc donalds
work hard for barely a pay check
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 17, 2017
CRST does not pay nearly enough.
i did learn how to drive a truck
management was not the best
the food is disgusting
the hardest part was learning how to drive if you have never drove before

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CRST Expedited. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6