CSX Employee Reviews

Engineering (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 27, 2017
Great culture. Very busy, nights and weekend work as well. Four weeks a year vacation after five years of service. Pension and 401K plans included.
Csx
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Fitzgerald, GAMay 25, 2017
Well paying company and when your not furloughed it's a great job. In my 3 years of working for csx I believe it would provide for a good life for your family.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No home life
No Life
Conductor/Engineer Trainee (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 24, 2017
Be prepared to miss children grow up and not have a life really outside of work. You are on call 24 hrs 7 days a week. You don't get paid holidays except if you work certain jobs. Just be prepared to live out of a travel bag.
Sr. Java Full Stack Developer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 24, 2017
I have learn a lot from team and work culture and ethics they follow.
Transition from water-flow methodology to Agile was good.
there was opportunity to learn different technology.
Paid well, can be stressful at times
Assistant Manager Customer Operations (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 24, 2017
My position is a fast paced high pressure one that can lead to many stressful days or working on your off days. However, we are compensated well for it
Pros
They pay, benefits, pension
Cons
High stress, unfulfilling
fast paced
Conductor/ Control Operator/ Foreman/ Switchman (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, AL 36104May 23, 2017
A typical day consists of a fast paced always changing work schedule that challenges the mind and requires constant use of mental and physical skill. its given me a great outlook on the ability to please coworkers an customers each and everyday.
Good benefits, Great career
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 22, 2017
Provides good benefits and a great career if you survive. New employees expect to get furloughed / laid off. New CEO will shut down entire terminals and cut off 200 jobs if that is what it takes to make money.
Hands on craft
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 21, 2017
My employment with CSX has always been an on call basis type of career. I have learned that safety is a way of life and that no job is so important, no task is so urgent , that you can not take the time to perform your job safely.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
management and seniority base
Right Results Right Way
System Administrator (Positive Train Control (PTC) (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 18, 2017
People are an asset. Upper management hires the right people to represent . Attitude among employees are great. Lot of smart people to work around and be mentored.
Pros
Lots :)
Cons
Be more Inventive less conservative :)
Used to be a great place to work
IT Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 15, 2017
While it's understandable that the new leadership wants to show results to their shareholders the cost to over 1000 jobs and the major shift in culture away from a reasonable work life balance has made CSX a very unstable employer.
Pros
Paid for MBA and PMP
Cons
Unstable work atmosphere, poor work/life balance

Want to know more about CSX?

Ask a question
Great Benefits and job security
Intermodal Service Employee, Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 4, 2017
This job made me want to continue with my education and advance my career. I enjoyed my time here but felt that I reached the ceiling for my time with the company
benefits
Cons
limited possibilities
Very micro managed
Mechanic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2017
Good place to work for just the moral is always dead. Can't really move nowhere because of why should I work any harder than the deadbeat beside me attitude. We all make same money attitude. Just follow the rules and do your work with quality and you will be fine.
Pros
Home life, safety, and great benefits
Cons
Low moral
Bad Management but good pay
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 2, 2017
Management his hired right out of college and does not understand railroad operations. They give you good benefits and good pay so you will put up with all the bullcrap. No career advancement for craft level employees.
Busy workplace.
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 1, 2017
Working at CSX can be a very difficult challenge. The management team is constantly trying to justify their job with the upper management, as opposed to trying to be effective managers. The pay is what I would call "so-so", in my opinion. They could pay us better for what we do.
Pros
Steady work, somewhat decent benefit package.
Cons
Poor management, no work schedule for younger employees.
Great company to grow as a professional if you can handle the railroad schedule
Employee (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 1, 2017
pros: Company has a wide variety of jobs that enable you to succeed in various situations. Good pay, benefits

cons: Hours are not family friendly, Unionized work. rewarded for start date and not production.
aweful!
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 29, 2017
This place is terrible! The pay and benefits are nice but they will hide in the weeds or wherever to try to fire you from the day you start until the day you leave.
Former Employee
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 28, 2017
Enjoyed working there until the hostile takeover and was shown the door. I am sure the new regime will get the shareholders what they want, but for the rest of the people left...good luck.
Strong Company
Manager of Locomotive Distribution (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 28, 2017
CSX is a strong company, however, recent leadership is focused on cutting cost. Leadership generally doesn't value the work that you complete, and the work/ life balance is non existent.
Family to Work Ratio
Training Instructor II (REDI) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 27, 2017
Not an family oriented base company. Requires to be available most weekends and under staff that will allow for reasonable time off to attend family functions without using vacation time for every occurrence.
Pros
graet benefits and pay
Cons
Uncertaintly on work schedule
Hard work, terrible schedule.....great pay and benefits.
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OHApril 27, 2017
Always on call. Work weekends and holidays on all shifts. Adverse weather conditions. Must have the ability to memorize several rail yards with acres of multiple tracks.
Great pay and benefits! CSX has workers with GEDs making over $100k per year. Over the last 10 years, industry on average, has lowered health benifits by 12%.....CSX has increased health benefits by 14% over the same time period.
Pros
Hard work, terrible schedule
Cons
great pay and benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CSX. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8