CSX Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful Company
Service Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  JacksonvilleAugust 16, 2015
CSX technology is an absolutely wonderful place to work. They are very understanding and will do everything possible to accommodate you and your needs. The only downside would be that there isnt much communication unless your part of a specific circle of management or upper management. Certain things that pertain to everyone should be shared with those that the information would impact. Other than that one flaw CSX technology is a wonderful place to work at.
Pros
benefits, flexible
Cons
lack of communcation
Excellent Benefits
Yard Clerk/ Messenger (Current Employee) –  Clifton Forge, VAOctober 23, 2015
CSX provides excellent company benefits. Though it is a company that does not provide a lot of family time for it's employees. Work hours are non-conventional. And time off is hard to come by for some employees.

Retirement benefits are excellent, as well as health benefits.
Pros
Pay and other benefits
Cons
Work versus Home time not ideal for some families
no set schedule good pay and benifits
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 28, 2015
Don't expect to have a regular work schedule. you might work in the yard one week building trains and switching freight cars. with "regular work schedule", i.e. work five days with two off normally an 8 hour shift never more than 12 though.(federal law and all) and the next week working the road, i.e. taking a train from one rail yard to the next sometimes gone for a day or two.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
no set schedule
Good place to work, Need to be closer to home
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAMarch 23, 2016
I work at CSX for the maintenance of way (MOW) we repair and build track and maintain our 57 miles of track. Typical day would consist of job briefings and work detail, which could include installing rail, track ties, surfacing, gauging, excavating, installing switch points and frogs. I have learned how to manage people better and to get jobs done in a timely safe manner. Management has changed a lot in the past couple years here, it's become all college graduates with no experience and nobody to guide them which has brought morale down. hardest part of my job is waiting for track time because we can't work if they are running a lot of trains. best part of the job is working with the guys in my gang.
Pros
co-workers, pay
Cons
management, vacation time
good place to work
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 28, 2015
job can be over stressful at times. Most people are on edge, everyone is so concerned of being fired all the time. I spend the majority of my day listening to other complain about management and all the contradicting rules. if you are lazy you get away with doing less if you are a good worker, you will often get stuck with work overload.
Pros
Benefits, pay. exiting for someone who like to be on the move.
Cons
reactive management, limited advancement. contradicting rules.
Excellent Company
Case Management (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 6, 2015
Great opportunity, benefits, and management. The employees boost safety and teamwork. Would consider working permanently with this company.
Pros
Environment
Cons
A lot of contracted work vs. permanent
Working for a railroad is definately a unique experience
locomotive engineer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, Va.July 19, 2015
CSX is a great company to work for. The opportunities the company provides are up to the individual to take advantage of. It takes a unique person to work for a railroad, dealing with being on call 24/7 as well as working in all types of weather, makes the job challenging. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with. even though you basically do the same thing everyday the people make it interesting and fun.
Pros
senority, the people, and the benefits
Cons
being on call 24/7
productive company
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Bedford Park, ILSeptember 29, 2015
Class 1 railroad that is operating year round. Great benefits and retirement. Good promotion potential for college graduates.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not much time for family
Good pay, no life outside work
Freight Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Lima, OHOctober 13, 2015
Very good compensation. Management is literally out to fire you. On-call at least six days a week. Often stay over in hotels.
Not a hard job and its a good career.
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 24, 2015
Benefits and pay claims are great and the training program is growing and getting better. Railroad is tough to stick with the first couple of years. Getting laid off in the state of New York from the Railroad isn't good. It all in all is not a tough job, just lots of rules and you have to be on your toes at all times.
Benefits
Cons
Gone from home a lot, so be prepared for that.
Productive and Fair Work Environment
Document Scanning Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2016
I am on a one year assignment working with CSX Transportation in the Imaging Services Department. I am working in an environment where we all work as a team. The management team allows their employees to give their input on any area that they feel will benefit the workflow. The most time consuming part of the job is the quality control process. We have to review scanned documents and correct any identifiable errors. The easiest part of the job is the scanning and prepping process. Overall the job is enjoyable because of the individuals that I work with.
Great learning and growth/development environment
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 12, 2015
Lots of opportunity for growth in my career. Many internal educational opportunities as well as external opportunities. Most enjoyable was the variety of people I met and had the pleasure of working with over the years I was there. An overall wonderful career experience
Pros
Excellent benefits
Good Pay and Benefits with bad work/life balance
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 10, 2016
A typical day for me is taking a train from Louisville to Cincinnati, resting at a hotel, then bringing a train back. I learned that enjoy being a locomotive engineer. Local management seems to be fair and typically care about their employees, upper management not so much. My co-workers are a great bunch that I enjoy to be around. The hardest part of the and really the only thing I don't like about it is the lack of schedule and lack of sleep. Always being on call and never knowing when you're going to work, day or night, any hour. The most enjoyable part of the job is the travel, operating locomotives, and the comeradere you develop with co workers.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
bad work/life balance with the lack of a schedule
Very challenging and diverse work environment.
Class 1 Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 25, 2016
A typical day was to work as safely and follow rules and guidelines as per outlined in the manuals.
There was never a day after leaving work that i did not learn something.
Management was very proactive and were very helpful in every way possible.
The hardest part of working my job title was the challenges, and decisions i made on a daily basis.
The most satisfying part of my job was the employees i worked with and the challenges it brought me.
Fast paced and constantly moving place
FREIGHT ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GaJuly 29, 2015
I really enjoyed my time at CSX. Great job with great benefits. Takes a lot of personal dedication to work for the railroad. Best part of the job was personal satisfaction from doing a days hard work. Worst part of the job was the excessive amount of hours away from home.
Pros
great pay, great friends.
Cons
not much sleep, or home life.
Decent job pay and benefits
conductor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 11, 2016
A good company to work for but there is no job security. Working on call is difficult when it comes to planning your life. Management is helpful at times.
Pros
Pay and benfits
Cons
Hard to plan anything, no schedule
good pay and benefits
conductor / locomotive engineer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 6, 2016
Working for CSX was a job that I liked. However it is a job that when working for this company you do not see a lot of time at home. You will miss a lot of holidays with family, school events for your kids and things like that. Otherwise the job was great. The pay was good and the company overall was pretty good to work for. If you are a family man I would suggest a different job if it bothers you being away from family.It is more suited for a single person with no ties.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
never home
The people are great
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 22, 2016
On any given day there are new challenges from working long hours to dealing with the elements. There are not many jobs that allow you to make a good leaving and be with good friends. We are more like family than coworkers. The work is hard but the team work makes it rewarding.
Pros
the pay is great
Cons
work gets cut off some times
No Balance
Operations Manager / LOR Trainmaster (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 25, 2015
No Work / Life Balance company does not care about your work life balance or promoting good talent. Great benefits but lacks knowledge of other industries and their processes
Fun and challenging place with great rewards
Freight Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIMarch 18, 2016
The hardest part about the job is being on call 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. The co-workers are always willing to help. The management is always there to listen to any issues. The job can be mentally and physically demanding. A shift can be anywhere from 6 hrs to 16 hrs long depending on the job.