CubeSmart

CubeSmart Employer Reviews

Great Opportunity
General Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 11, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with so many different kind of people. Co-workers were easy to get along with.
Whats good about working at this job is that you learn a lot that can be useful for every and any job
Property Manager (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 22, 2014
Pros: schedule, learning the computer, and the opprotunity
Cons: short lunches, the van, and meetings
On a typical day at work I open the store and make sure the building is okay. I then maintain the office and I do about 3 to 4 rentals on a slow day. I have learned how to serve with passion as a manager. There are only 3 managers on site including me and they are also great managers who have taught me a lot about storage and revenue. The hardest part – more... of my job is going through all files and checking the leases to make sure that all of the information is up to date and correct in the system. There are about 1,205 customers and it can become overwhelming I love doing the auctions yet they are a lot of work it's exciting to see how much people really pay for the cubes. – less
Unfair company to work for and I wouldn't recommend anyone to apply with them.
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee), Peachtree City, GAOctober 6, 2014
After putting in 8 year of hard work, an unfair district manager took advantage of her position and forced my dismissal through a new district manager just joining the company in that position.
Cubesmart: Storage + Incompetence
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee), MD & TXOctober 4, 2014
Pros: good job security, good work/life balance
Cons: advancement opportunities: none
I worked for Cubesmart for over 5 years, at three different properties in two States. A typical day at any of the facilities starts with checking emails, voice mails from customers who were either locked inside the gate or out, overlocking delinquent customers and then calling them. Weekly walk through, light audits, maintenance checks and a lot of – more... sweeping and dust mopping... seriously. A lot.

I learned plenty while working at Cubesmart. I also accomplished a great deal of projects on my own while really testing my own personal limits at the time. But, I'm telling you now, do not expect any recognition for what you do. At best, you'll receive a $25 "WOW" card for all your painstaking effort. And Bonuses? They were decent when I started. Then they changed the bonus structure so that you're pretty much guaranteed to get skimped out of what you truly deserve. For example: Instead of basing bonuses on revenue increases compared to the year prior, they changed it to revenue over budget. But who writes the budget? The District Manager does. And you can bet they will be setting impossible goals for you each and every month. So your previous $100 - $500 quarterly bonus (on average for me) dropped to about $0 - $175.

While I am parked on management; expect to work for some of the most self serving, arrogant "yes men" (and women) you'll ever meet. Most split halfway through the day after arriving several hours late to work. They'll give you credit for your hard work, pretty much never. And when they're caught in THEIR mistake by the District Manager, you better believe they'll use you as a scapegoat almost every single time. As for the District Managers, understand that their salary is going to be at least three times what yours is. Their bonuses are about $8k - $16k per year and they usually work from home. Pretty standard for District Managers. However, they make their bonus by shorting their store's budgets (employee bonuses included). So that leaky sprinkler that's been dripping dirty brown water onto one of your customer's units? Yeah, that's not going to get fixed. Or how about that broken gate? Nope. He or she will tell you to go rig something together to fix it rather than spend $150 to have it fixed professionally. So the gate breaks several times a day creating countless complaints, the customer files a claim for their destroyed property, the city threatens fines for the leaking sprinkler and Cubesmart manages to loose even more money all at the hands of your fearless District Manager. Pretty sweet gig. Take expenditure requests by phone and email all day, deny them, and collect a fat check. All while never leaving home. This behavior was consistent for much of my time here.

My co-workers were hit or miss. One or two were tolerable. The rest kept me awake at night wondering how in the world they made it as far as they did. Some can't even manage to consistently wear their shirt right side out. Some struggle to arrive to work sober. And others are pretty close to being certifiably illiterate.

The hardest part of the job was three fold. Gaining recognition was impossible, working with management was like working for Sadam, and my co-workers made my head hurt just watching them.

However, despite all the negative aspects of this job, it will be just about the perfect job for you if you like to manage your own time and if you have a high tolerance for under-qualified leadership. The benefits sucked when I was there. Way too expensive if you plan on making a living wage. But that could have changed since I left. Working hours are good too. Almost no late nights. I think in the 5 years, I worked maybe 3 late nights. But only in very rare/special circumstances.

2 out of 5. Only because there is good job security and you can usually manage your own time during the day. You can do everything in the morning, before you leave or spread your work out evenly in the day. The options are literally...three. – less
N/A
General Manger-Storage Units (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 25, 2014
Working at cubesmart I learned to have strong time management, communication, organizational and follow-through skills. The ability to prioritize and provide self-motivation and to motivate others, to Work well in a team environment or independently.
GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR
Manager (Current Employee), arizonaSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: flexable work scheduled
Cons: hours of operation 9:30 to 6:00
I have been here almost 1 year and I can say IT"S a great company. They really care about their employee's. Highly recommend working here. Pay on the other hand not the greatest but it get the bills paid.
Great Employee
Manager (Current Employee), Port Saint Lucie, FLSeptember 16, 2014
Love working for this company. Great employees and upper management. Work environment is Awesome. Customers are really great and like our facility. Clean and great customer service.
Opporutnity for Advancements and educational conferences
Property Manager and Account Representative (Former Employee), Stamford, CTMay 15, 2014
Each day consisted of many collection calls as well as storage sales over the phone, internet, and walk ins.
Great position if you have a lot happening in your life
Store Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 24, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
The job only needs you to answer the phone, help customers and take care of the building. If interested in what is basically babysitting, Cubesmart might make an excellent career choice.
Stable
Vice President (Current Employee), Malvern, PAFebruary 13, 2014
A stable environment within a booming industry. New leader and new headquarters have created enthusiasm and interest. Big picture focus is prevalent and micro management is minimal.
Really Good Job but doesnt pay enough
Store Manager (Current Employee), MiramarOctober 29, 2013
Pros: management cares about you
Cons: pay could be better, limited in advancement
Good company to work for. Not too hard and sometimes dont get customers so time goes by slowly.
Managed Storage Facility
Manager (Former Employee), Kingston, NHOctober 2, 2013
It was selling storage units to people who needed them. I also managed the property.
Productive and Relaxed workplace
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee), Wayne, PASeptember 17, 2013
Checked email, set appointments to pre-screen candidates
Interesting fun work place with apartment on some facilities
Manager (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: mileage paid from one store to the other, 3 weeks paid vacition
Cons: not getting paid for holidays because we had to take an extra day off so no over time.
I enjoyed working with all my co-workers, I learned the basics of computer. Enjoyed the relationship with the customers because I felt like I was a help to the people when they were in need of help at the time.The hardest part of the job was to see the pople lose all there belonging to auction. the most enjoyabe part was meeting different people.Rented – more... storage cubes, made collection calls, cleaned facility, cleaned cubes and made repairs as needed. – less
AM's and DM's are CHEAP
General Manager (Current Employee), FloridaAugust 7, 2013
Pros: benefits are competitive but not great
Cons: low hourly pay, tiny pay increases, assign to locations far from home
Most GM's are not qualified to run a facility. They do not follow management policies and procedures. They have no management skills, no professionalism, no mastery of the English language and conduct business to benefit their personal gains. Gossip is a daily occurence.
Assistant Manager
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Pembroke Pines, FloridaAugust 6, 2013
-Daily/monthly customer billing
-Verify quality and quantity of products that are received
-Prepared daily bank deposits
-Maintained high rental ratios of storage units
-Responsible for handling schedules and other related personal issues for employees
-Responsible for other duties as assigned and as needed
Found impressive
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Rockford, ILJune 10, 2013
Very helpful in my Job Search.
Co-operative management
Colleagues are easy to go with
Active, Fun loving Need Not Apply
Manager (Current Employee), Streamwood, ILMay 22, 2013
Pros: the golf cart
Cons: short lunch, bordom, little movement/activity
This is not a bad job. It would suit someone who is comfortable with being sedentary. That's not me. There is little to do and bordom can run rampant.
Overall - not a bad company to work for
General Manager (Current Employee), Southern CaliforniaApril 2, 2013
Pros: good benefits, decent hours
Cons: it really depends on who your dm is...
Decent pay. If you're a GM, you likely are given an apartment to live at. But expect to attend to business/custoeemr service issues after hours and not get paid OT for it. We take payments, rent units, clean the property, and get bids to fix small jobs on the property like replacing keypads, gate fixes, lighting, etc. There is a lot of gossip but that – more... goes with any multi-property REIT. It can either be boring as hell, or busy as (expletive)! The worst part about the job is the duty repetition, and the nasty, entitled customers. Some customers are so picky and rude - they're not afraid to ruin your day. Upper management says to suck it up and be nice, but when they are asked to get invovled, the DM disappears and will not speak directly to the customers. It's probably the most stressful part about the job - dealing with the DM. They rarely come around if you know what you're doing and the property is performing well...but if it takes a down turn, they are like a fly on (expletive). If you have low occupancy, its the GM's fault... no matter what. – less
Cubesmart not what they say they are.
not sure (Former Employee), TexadMarch 17, 2013
Pros: n\a
Cons: n\a
Cubesmart treat their employees like dirt.They care too
much about making money and profit. Employees come last
especially Store Managers, General Managers get treated with
respect while they are making tons of errors and not following policy. Some work off the clock and Cubesmart letting employees work off the clock. Now you tell me is that right?? – more... I will never recommend Cubesmart to anybody WAY OVER PRICED!! SO WATCH THESE PEOPLE DON'T WORK FOR CUBE DUMB!!!! BEWARE!!! – less

About CubeSmart

CubeSmart reinvents self-storage! It's time for self-storage to get smart.CubeSmart (NYSE:CUBE) is reinventing storage and – Read more