CubeSmart Employee Reviews in United States

Work day
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 13, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job was doing just that...Maintenance. It is something I enjoy and do with a passion. Helping other and working with my coworkers was a memorable experience.
One of the most insulting and degrading places to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILJuly 10, 2016
I was given 2 days of training and expected to have learned every single thing about working there in those two days which is not nearly enough time. I was then moved to my location which the General Manager is a known raging Alcoholic which comes in after drinking and harasses the Manager. This was known by the District Manager and then never mentioned to me. I was then moved to a store with the angriest racist man I have ever met as a General Manager. Who would frequently talk about European people and how terrible they are. Then without being given time to understand my location and the ins and outs I was moved again to a store with an openly homosexual manager who frequently pushed the boundries by sharing stories and pictures. The District Manager was one of the laziest people in the world and I was fired after I got hurt after falling off a faulty ladder. This company is literally the most twofaced horrible company in America. If you enjoy being screwed over, talked down to, having people talk behind your back, and enjoy making your living off of people who can't make enough money to keep their belongings in the unbelievably over priced units then this is the job for you. If you value dignity and being able to sleep at night, you will find a better option anywhere....even begging on the street has more dignity than working for these low lifes
Pros
very lazy job
Cons
everything about this company, they are evil
All Star
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 10, 2016
I left for an industrial maintenance job that doubled my pay and I still had to think twice about leaving. I also got my wife hired because of the awesome environment which was a $500 bonus! Very easy work if you are self motivated and enjoy working in an office and outdoors. Great mix of maintenance and managing. Awesome team and your efforts are often recognized and rewarded including WOW! cards and the quarterly and annual All Star award which I won. Granted a few are un motivated as they have never had to hold a real job before, or came from a sub par storage company leaving many of us to do all the work but you will have that everywhere you work. CubeSmart is quick to recognize those who work hard but in the same breath are quick to take advantage of the harder workers with laughable raises.
CubeSmart is very flexible when it comes to life's unexpected issues so long as there are enough employees for coverage. We tripled in size in our area within the two years I worked there leaving many stores single covered if any coverage.
The lack of pay and career advancement are the main reasons I left. I was a go to guy for anything but was one of the lowest paid. I was offered a couple General Manager jobs within the company and when I stated how much I needed to make I was passed up for a lower paid outsider to come in with no experience in storage. But I have also always believed that you should get paid for the work you do and this job is extremely easy compared to the other jobs I have had.
The worst part of the job is dealing with irritated customers due to rate increases,
  more... maintenance issues not being fixed in a timely manner because of the few approved vendors we are allowed to use, and the stresses of disposal sales.  less
Pros
Awesome team, Good mix of maintenance and managing
Cons
Pay, lack of advancement
Work Unsupervised
Property Manager Exton and Langhorne Stores (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJuly 3, 2016
CubeSmart is a growing company, however there is limited growth within the structure to move up the ladder. The Company tends to hire from outside the company than from within. CubeSmart is a great opportunity to learn the full experience of Property Management. One must be self motivated to experience all the company has to offer to employees.
Pros
Great for self motivated person. Little supervision.
Cons
Very inconsistent with people, rules and work ethic. No advancement within the company.
Fun place to work and very understanding
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXJune 11, 2016
The team is very understanding when comes to having family emergencies and disasters happen in your life. Most jobs give you a hard time and want you to prove everything you say. But, I can say I do not have a problem with that when it comes to this company.
Great environment for advancement
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 14, 2016
I have been working in storage for around two years and I had previously only worked in luxury boutiques but I feel as if in CubeSmart I have actually been able to learn more about leading and working with others. The company does need improvements regarding pay and how the raises are set up. Somehow everyone knows each other which I'm surprised because it is a big company. The hardest part of the job is getting yelled at by customers even though they clearly know that as an employee we can't randomly give a discount here and there. A typical day at work consists of doing cube audits and helping customers with rentals as well as selling merchandise. The best part is the relationships formed with customers that do recognize how we work to help them.
porductive
Delivery Driver Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 25, 2016
I packed boxes, wraped up boxes, wrap furniture, deliver furniture, from point a to point b.
I learned how to maintain stability, paste myself, and accountability. Co-workers were social didnt hold much of a bond,yet, we spoke on need to converse basis.
fun with varied duties, never got dull
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 21, 2016
open office, counted cash drawer, got computers programs up and running, check office emails and phone messages, did morning walk thru of building and grounds, expertly handled customers and potential customers. dealt with problems and addressed them in a timely manner. showed available units to lease, close the deal with added products such as insurance, locks, boxes and other items, greeted phone customers by script and locked in appointment for viewing units, did maintenance task for the day, did all paperwork, counted cash drawer, and balanced the dailys, closed office.
Pros
always something to do
Cons
some employees would take credit or not share the credit.
General managers are jerks
slave (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 10, 2016
On a typical day you are expected to clean everything while the GM sits on his or, her butt and eats, or plays on the computer, or talks to their friends on the phone. They usually leave early and, come in late. Also you can be transferred in a minute. They don't care what happens to you, or what the truth is. Just as long as they make money. If the unit you rent get broken into too bad. Good luck collecting the insurance.
Pros
Cons
All you are is the GM's janitor.
Would not recommend to someone looking fo work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 13, 2016
No job security, one mistake and you are out of a job. Upper management shows too much favoritism. They do not take into consideration all your hard work.
CubeSmart always had great contest to get hte teams
Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroe, CTMarch 3, 2016
getting together and sharing ideas to made sales go up. I was in a store the GM was not to friendly and it wasn't only the teammates it was also with customers. I love the company and I ask many times to be transferred but that never happened, I was not able to continue to be bad mouth by this GM, at the same time my mom got sick and needed me to be with her for some time so I gave my 2week notice and was told by the DVP I would be welcome back once an opening became available. Four jobs came and I wrote the DVP and he never once did I get a phone call I applied for all 4 jobs with no answer, I never was written up Never late and Never was a no call no show was always early and even drove up to Gales Ferry to three days to cover their store out there,
Pros
bonus monthly
Cons
No Open door once you told on a coworker you were tld to tell the worker to their face.
Not recommended for long term employment
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAJanuary 10, 2016
Use any position as a stepping stone and document everything, conversations, emails, phone call and all of the above. Do Not Get Comfortable
customer service rep
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 8, 2015
I love my job. Is a good working environment never work in place so great. They help you with your with school schedule and finances.
Not very productive and lack of communication
Janitor/Sales (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 1, 2015
Management is poor, no teamwork and no opportunity for advancement. You will stay in the same position for years with no promotion. Management rather hire someone from the outside instead from the inside. Also a lot of rear end kissing just to get promoted.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Bad pay, bad tenants and short lunch breaks
Exciting work place
mgr (Former Employee) –  panama cityOctober 19, 2015
open register,count money ,check emails,etc.respond to clients,make collection calls.I had lots of computer work to do to update files and keep current with new demands.
Pros
Meet and greet clients
Cons
short lunch, tension due to clients moving
Day to Day
Accounts Payable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAOctober 13, 2015
Very unprofessional group of people in the AP department. Constant verbal abuse from manager. No one is a team player and there are no friendly faces.
Productive & fun work place.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 6, 2015
Working at Cubesmart is full of fun challenges. Meeting new people every day, and assisting their needs is very rewarding. The team is very supportive, way, and the potential to grow and develop was a great learning experience.
Learned the Business
Site Associate (Current Employee) –  Newburgh, NYSeptember 17, 2015
Enjoyed the management to C-level. Excellent job of communicating with employees. Plenty of training to ensure a superior level of customer service.
Pros
Management Team & Direction
Cons
Pay
Lack of Opportunity
General Manager - Delsea Dr Property (Current Employee) –  Sewell, NJJuly 30, 2015
A typical day at work starts with opening the store (same as any retail store). The day is all about maintenance of the facility, sales, and customer service. I learned a lot about sales and how to properly manage a facility in my time here. The lower management always makes themselves available to each facility and is always willing to listen to ideas. Upper management less so. My co-workers, other than my assistant, I only see them once a quarter at our company meeting unless providing coverage or providing merchandise to their location from mine. The hardest part of the job is the understanding that there is very little promotion opportunity. I was originally told I could not make General Manager for at least a year, I made it in 8 months. Once I was made a GM, I was informed that the District was being restructured and the likelihood of promotion availability would most likely not occur for 5 or more years. The most enjoyable part of this job is the ability to work one on one with the customers, as well as once you struggle through originally taking over the property and making it your own it gains a life unto itself that requires very little to keep it running well. I would have a hard time leaving this job if the money was better and the opportunity for advancement was available.
Productive environment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 15, 2015
I have enjoyed learning as a manager at Cube Smart. Everyday I am allowed to use my analytical skills for problem solving with customer needs.
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
N/A

2.6