Culinary Institute of America Employee Reviews in United States

Good Company
Hostess (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 30, 2016
This is a great school to work for with excellent benefits. Although the best positions are competitive and difficult to attain. Once you do get them, definately worth the stay.

I enjoyed interacting with clientele.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
bad hours
Great place to learn while working.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NY 12538April 24, 2016
I had a great time working with the students. Can be challenging but the sessions allow for the education of students and personal growth as a communicator, thinker, problem solver, and leader.
Unrewarding 14 hour days
Assistant Manager of Purchasing Operations (Former Employee) –  St. Helena, CAFebruary 11, 2015
Show up at 6am and leave after an exhausting 14 hour day. After a year and no support from upper management, it was time to part ways. The school itself is an aesthetically beautiful place and the chefs are certainly qualified to do their job. However, the schools upper management is trying to mimic the same footprint of their school in Hyde Park with 10 times the amount of students with less staff per student. Emotionally exhausting and I do miss the idea of working their. I miss the students and the chefs.
Pros
amazing food from around the world, helping student achieve their dreams, working with world renowned chefs and the relationships built.
Cons
never enough hours in the day, promises never being met from upper management, hr is never available to help the staff.
Good compensation, bad management.
Residence Director (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJanuary 27, 2015
Overall, the place is beautiful, the students are amazing, the food is excellent, but the place is a pyramid of dysfunction. Every office has people in charge that fail to lead effectively, and it stems from the top.
Pros
great location, pay, and food.
Cons
culture of fear.
diverse
POT WASHER (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYOctober 16, 2014
• Washed dishware, setup and broke down dining area, assisted staff, students and others, transported supplies around campus, and handled different chemicals
For aspiring chefs, the CIA is truly the premier culinary arts school.
Senior Reservationist (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYAugust 26, 2014
The Reservations Office at the Culinary Institute is a faced paced environment where 80% of the day is spent on the phone composed of three reservationist. Total calls received per day ranged between 60 to 90 plus for each reservationist. This position strictly required someone who is dependable, adaptable and independent with strong leadership skills. Communication is of great importance and can be detrimental if not practiced well. I have never worked with the best group of individuals who shared the same work ethics, who pride themselves with job well done on the end of the day and who are genuinely caring about the customers. The hardest part of the job, although not obligated to do, was making it to work during the worst winter weather conditions. Expectations of our outside guests are rather high and unreasonable at times. But often, we deliver what is expected of us. I had hoped to retire with Culinary Institute of America, but unfortunately due to the reorganization process my position was eliminated.
Pros
food is life. it isn't just about sustaining one's appetite, but having been exposed to the whole process of making a great meal, a plate of food to me is aspiring.
Cons
minimum opportunities to advance.
Highly competitive job.
EXECUTIVE SOUS CHEF (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 10, 2014
What I learned at CIA was how to be a professional among the best chefs from around the world. I realized that I could keep up with the pace and it took me to another level in my career.
Pros
excellent benefits. great experience.
Cons
constant scrutiny. too many supervisors.
It was very convenient to be able to work on campus as I was attending school
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJuly 29, 2014
After I would get out of class, I would go into the Restaurant that I was working and serve customers and run the finished food products. I learned how to juggle multiple tables at a time as well as handle customers complaints and server mistakes. My co-workers were in fact students who were going through formal restaurant service classes. They were very new to the industry and would often come to me for help with steps of service and MICROS system functionality. The hardest part of my job was working with the new students. They would often have repeating questions or mistakes that would take a significant amount of time to rectify. Also due to the nature of the school, every three weeks I had to grow accustom to new set of students. This new rotation of students sometimes cause inconsistency of quality of service in the restaurant. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to make all of the networking connections I was available to.
Finest Culinary school in the world
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYMay 29, 2014
Traditional Cooking Instruction
Profesional Culinary Instructors

I have had the pleasure of mentoring prospective students interested in attending the CIA and those on externship.

My varied experience in working for a foodservice distributor, owning my own business and butchery. If I can help someone by educating them in what I have learned over the years thats great.

The CIA gave me a priceless education I will always pay it forward.
Pros
educating others
Not a very good work environment
HVAC-R Technician (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYApril 16, 2014
Management has no clue as what they are doing this place is run like a barn.
I didn't like the job.
Human Resources Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYNovember 30, 2013
I wasn't happy there with the position. The college was stunning and beautiful to work in.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not happy
disappointing management
cook (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TexasJune 10, 2013
The management is sorely lacking, hiring process is abnormally long and drawn out, long hours and minimal pay
Worked in the Purchasing Department for the School which provides product for the Classes, Restaurant, and Catered Events
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Saint Helena, CANovember 27, 2012
Worked in the Purchasing Department while I was a student at the Culinary Institute of America. I worked in the Purchasing Department in the afternoon which would consist of conducting an inventor of product in house, storing product which included Butchery in order to buy larger quantities and distribute it throughout the various departments. I was also trained on FoodTrak - a food purchasing, inventory/logistics and accounting program. I specialized in rectifying the invoices with our internal inventor during my tenure.