Culinary Institute of America Employee Reviews

Daily work
Campus Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYOctober 5, 2017
My typical day was setting up and breaking down for events. Moved office furniture and kitchen equipment when needed. Assisted grounds department in the winter- shoveling and plowing snow.
Most enjoyable of the job was the many people I worked with.
Standard student working environment
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYOctober 1, 2017
The CIA was a convenient and pleasant place to work as a student on campus. As a student employee, I felt like I was a valued member of each of the departments I worked in.
Great place to learn a lot.
Expediter (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, New YorkSeptember 23, 2017
The typical day involved many hours standing on your feet and racing to keep up with what needed to be accomplished. However throughout each day you would learn a lot.
Fun work place
Culinary Arts Student (Former Employee) –  Scotch Plains, NJAugust 11, 2017
When i started working for this school. I was so scared. But I really enjoyed myself at this school. I hope on day I can find a better job doing this.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Shorts breaks
worked through a staffing agency...
Server/Runner (Former Employee) –  Napa Valley, CAAugust 3, 2017
I worked for CIA through a staffing agency and my overall experience was great. money was good, work was consistent and the server captains at the time were respectable and managed well.
A pleasure
Spanish Professor (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJuly 12, 2017
Working with young adults can be pretty challenging, but my experience from teaching has been a rewarding experience and at the end of the day, I feel that i have made a positive difference in their lives by teaching them about another language and other cultures in other parts of the world.
Pros
The feeling of accomplishment from helping a student with his/her academic needs and also the food.
Cons
no real issues
Great environment and got to meet a lot of people
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJune 12, 2017
Meets with students with any emotional or academic issues they have while on campus
Helps peers with their organization and time management skills
Assists incoming bachelor’s student to register and organize their classes
Reviews students cover letters, resume and references for externship and future career
Organizes and Participates in programs on campus such as free resume printing, academic workshops, etc.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Horrendous-on-the-Hudson
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYApril 26, 2017
Where do I begin? There are many talented and exceptional employees, however, the management and cabinet are horrendous resulting in a toxic environment. This once beautiful institute, is now horribly tarnished because indifferent, incompetent, imbeciles are allowed to run this school into the ground. The world's premier culinary college, where only the best of the best were admitted, has now become a high priced cooking school with most graduates struggling to find employment and to pay off outrageous loans.
Pros
Pretty Campus
Cons
Vile Environment
Long-term Employee
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYApril 26, 2017
The CIA used to be a great place to work. There are many talented and exceptional employees, however, the management and cabinet are horrendous resulting in a toxic environment. Sad that such a beautiful facade hides the ugliness that lies within.
Pros
Some great employees
Cons
Everything else
School
Chef, expo, server (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYApril 4, 2017
I did multiple jobs here while attending school. It is a good place to work. The management is very friendly and very knowledgeable. A place I would consider working again.
Very Corporate
Safety Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYMarch 21, 2017
Company was not too bad to work, but not easy for a person with a young child, especially in a position that can be very demanding.

There is some very nice people working there, my husband is still there and its almost 29 years.
Challenging
Prep Cook and Server (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJanuary 25, 2017
The Culinary Institute of America is a college that is built around its knowledgeable staff who is dedicated to teaching young culinary ones who want to succeed in the restaurant industry
Pros
rewarding
Cons
Short breaks
A good place to work
Manager of Engineering Operations (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJanuary 6, 2017
The CIA is a wonderful employer. Benefits are exceptional. My supervisor was demanding, expecting full attention to the work. He was fair in his evaluations of my work and showed empathy and concern for his direct reports.
good place to work
Lecturing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYOctober 13, 2016
I truly enjoyed it a lot the staff and all we sincerely nice and helpful.
a very good learning transition with lots of training and emphasis on further education and certifications.
Pros
learn a lot
Cons
kids these days are spoiled
Productive and fun place to work at . Communication is excellent
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYSeptember 7, 2016
Excellent place to be at . The environment is beautiful and coworkers are very respectful. I learned how to give good perspectives on customers and made them happy.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Short Breaks
Voluntary position
Copy Editor and Writer (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYSeptember 5, 2016
Editing and writing for La Papillote is an unpaid, voluntary position for our organization. I work on projects for the paper outside of class when I have time.
Kitchen Chef Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYAugust 25, 2016
Very helpful school it taught me how to cook having 0 experience . It was something different for me coming straight of the Army and has been my life ever since.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Not being able to hold a fulltime job during svhool to furyher my learning
Great place to work, full of life and passion.
Enrollment Manager (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYAugust 19, 2016
The CIA is a wonderful place to work. Everyone at this school are passionate professionals that LOVE food and hospitality.

The students drive an amazing amount of energy into the day to day work life!
Horrible management, HR nightmare
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  NYJuly 28, 2016
The CIA, once known as the "World's Premier Culinary College" will soon be renamed to St. Andrews on the Hudson penitentiary.
Run like a prison, treated like prisoners with no regard for the health and well being of staff or students.
Long hours, terrible pay, HR nightmare, no job security, and demeaning management are just a few words to describe working conditions.
Pros
Some co-workers
Cons
No job security, horrible management, demeaning
Bad HR management...no training at all
HR (Former Employee) –  Napa Valley, CAJuly 22, 2016
Bad HR Management...no proper training at all. They expect you to know everything without giving you proper training, bad attitude from Hypark Sr Management, more so if you asked for help which is unfortunate because you have deal with them. Very deameaning treatment attitude I was very dissapointed and thought to expect a better work enviroment but no.. its all appearance! The rest of the employees at Copia and Greystone were very nice. Too much turn over lately and internal employees not are not happy with the recent changes. Very dissapointed over all and happy to be out...
Pros
Some good employees that have been there long term... not much to say about everthing else!
Cons
Watch out with HR NJ Directors of Management, very bad atitudes in that area, poor training, outdated offices, miss leading pay rates, deaming HR Directors profesionalism and employee treatment.