Culinary Institute of America Employee Reviews

Great environment and got to meet a lot of people
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJune 12, 2017
Meets with students with any emotional or academic issues they have while on campus
Helps peers with their organization and time management skills
Assists incoming bachelor’s student to register and organize their classes
Reviews students cover letters, resume and references for externship and future career
Organizes and Participates in programs on campus such as free resume printing, academic workshops, etc.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Horrendous-on-the-Hudson
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYApril 26, 2017
Where do I begin? There are many talented and exceptional employees, however, the management and cabinet are horrendous resulting in a toxic environment. This once beautiful institute, is now horribly tarnished because indifferent, incompetent, imbeciles are allowed to run this school into the ground. The world's premier culinary college, where only the best of the best were admitted, has now become a high priced cooking school with most graduates struggling to find employment and to pay off outrageous loans.
Pros
Pretty Campus
Cons
Vile Environment
Long-term Employee
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYApril 26, 2017
The CIA used to be a great place to work. There are many talented and exceptional employees, however, the management and cabinet are horrendous resulting in a toxic environment. Sad that such a beautiful facade hides the ugliness that lies within.
Pros
Some great employees
Cons
Everything else
School
Chef, expo, server (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYApril 4, 2017
I did multiple jobs here while attending school. It is a good place to work. The management is very friendly and very knowledgeable. A place I would consider working again.
Very Corporate
Safety Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYMarch 21, 2017
Company was not too bad to work, but not easy for a person with a young child, especially in a position that can be very demanding.

There is some very nice people working there, my husband is still there and its almost 29 years.
Challenging
Prep Cook and Server (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJanuary 25, 2017
The Culinary Institute of America is a college that is built around its knowledgeable staff who is dedicated to teaching young culinary ones who want to succeed in the restaurant industry
Pros
rewarding
Cons
Short breaks
A good place to work
Manager of Engineering Operations (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJanuary 6, 2017
The CIA is a wonderful employer. Benefits are exceptional. My supervisor was demanding, expecting full attention to the work. He was fair in his evaluations of my work and showed empathy and concern for his direct reports.
good place to work
Lecturing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYOctober 13, 2016
I truly enjoyed it a lot the staff and all we sincerely nice and helpful.
a very good learning transition with lots of training and emphasis on further education and certifications.
Pros
learn a lot
Cons
kids these days are spoiled
Productive and fun place to work at . Communication is excellent
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYSeptember 7, 2016
Excellent place to be at . The environment is beautiful and coworkers are very respectful. I learned how to give good perspectives on customers and made them happy.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Short Breaks
Voluntary position
Copy Editor and Writer (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYSeptember 5, 2016
Editing and writing for La Papillote is an unpaid, voluntary position for our organization. I work on projects for the paper outside of class when I have time.

Want to know more about Culinary Institute of America?

Ask a question
Kitchen Chef Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYAugust 25, 2016
Very helpful school it taught me how to cook having 0 experience . It was something different for me coming straight of the Army and has been my life ever since.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Not being able to hold a fulltime job during svhool to furyher my learning
Great place to work, full of life and passion.
Enrollment Manager (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYAugust 19, 2016
The CIA is a wonderful place to work. Everyone at this school are passionate professionals that LOVE food and hospitality.

The students drive an amazing amount of energy into the day to day work life!
Horrible management, HR nightmare
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  NYJuly 28, 2016
The CIA, once known as the "World's Premier Culinary College" will soon be renamed to St. Andrews on the Hudson penitentiary.
Run like a prison, treated like prisoners with no regard for the health and well being of staff or students.
Long hours, terrible pay, HR nightmare, no job security, and demeaning management are just a few words to describe working conditions.
Pros
Some co-workers
Cons
No job security, horrible management, demeaning
Bad HR management...no training at all
HR (Former Employee) –  Napa Valley, CAJuly 22, 2016
Bad HR Management...no proper training at all. They expect you to know everything without giving you proper training, bad attitude from Hypark Sr Management, more so if you asked for help which is unfortunate because you have deal with them. Very deameaning treatment attitude I was very dissapointed and thought to expect a better work enviroment but no.. its all appearance! The rest of the employees at Copia and Greystone were very nice. Too much turn over lately and internal employees not are not happy with the recent changes. Very dissapointed over all and happy to be out...
Pros
Some good employees that have been there long term... not much to say about everthing else!
Cons
Watch out with HR NJ Directors of Management, very bad atitudes in that area, poor training, outdated offices, miss leading pay rates, deaming HR Directors profesionalism and employee treatment.
Good Company
Hostess (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 30, 2016
This is a great school to work for with excellent benefits. Although the best positions are competitive and difficult to attain. Once you do get them, definately worth the stay.

I enjoyed interacting with clientele.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
bad hours
Great place to learn while working.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NY 12538April 24, 2016
I had a great time working with the students. Can be challenging but the sessions allow for the education of students and personal growth as a communicator, thinker, problem solver, and leader.
Unrewarding 14 hour days
Assistant Manager of Purchasing Operations (Former Employee) –  St. Helena, CAFebruary 11, 2015
Show up at 6am and leave after an exhausting 14 hour day. After a year and no support from upper management, it was time to part ways. The school itself is an aesthetically beautiful place and the chefs are certainly qualified to do their job. However, the schools upper management is trying to mimic the same footprint of their school in Hyde Park with 10 times the amount of students with less staff per student. Emotionally exhausting and I do miss the idea of working their. I miss the students and the chefs.
Pros
Amazing food from around the world, Helping student achieve their dreams, Working with world renowned chefs and the relationships built.
Cons
Never enough hours in the day, Promises never being met from upper management, HR is never available to help the staff.
Good compensation, bad management.
Residence Director (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJanuary 27, 2015
Overall, the place is beautiful, the students are amazing, the food is excellent, but the place is a pyramid of dysfunction. Every office has people in charge that fail to lead effectively, and it stems from the top.
Pros
Great location, pay, and food.
Cons
Culture of fear.
diverse
POT WASHER (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYOctober 16, 2014
• Washed dishware, setup and broke down dining area, assisted staff, students and others, transported supplies around campus, and handled different chemicals
For aspiring chefs, the CIA is truly the premier culinary arts school.
Senior Reservationist (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYAugust 26, 2014
The Reservations Office at the Culinary Institute is a faced paced environment where 80% of the day is spent on the phone composed of three reservationist. Total calls received per day ranged between 60 to 90 plus for each reservationist. This position strictly required someone who is dependable, adaptable and independent with strong leadership skills. Communication is of great importance and can be detrimental if not practiced well. I have never worked with the best group of individuals who shared the same work ethics, who pride themselves with job well done on the end of the day and who are genuinely caring about the customers. The hardest part of the job, although not obligated to do, was making it to work during the worst winter weather conditions. Expectations of our outside guests are rather high and unreasonable at times. But often, we deliver what is expected of us. I had hoped to retire with Culinary Institute of America, but unfortunately due to the reorganization process my position was eliminated.
Pros
Food is life. It isn't just about sustaining one's appetite, but having been exposed to the whole process of making a great meal, a plate of food to me is aspiring.
Cons
Minimum opportunities to advance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Culinary Institute of America. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7