Culinary Services Group Employee Reviews

Worst contract food service company
Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 26, 2017
This small company tries but just can't deliver. Their turnover rate is very high because owner of the company micro manages directors. It is his way or the highway. If you do one thing he does not like he will fire you. I have worked for other contract companies and was respected more by the bigger ones. CSG takes accounts no one else will touch. If you need a job for a year go ahead but after a year watch your back!
Pros
Job
Cons
Not respected and micro managed
They got to do better.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 21, 2017
It's a easy job, but the mangers love to feed into drama. With this company if you call HR to make a complaint they don't take action . The location I worked they show favoritism to people who like to tell their business and kiss butt. There's no advancement there. When you hired the manger tells people not to talk to the other workers.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No breaks like handbook states. No promotion
Owners are vindictive and shady
Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJanuary 30, 2017
Worked for this company for Six months. I resigned because the owners were knowingly charging the client for sales that didn't exist.
Pros
Cons
The company is a con
Very disorganized place
Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  MarylandJune 17, 2016
Worked for the company a few weeks. I did not get a paycheck for starters, mgmt is very disorganized. Shady characters throughout the place. Very high expectations along with very low pay. Treat everyone the same as if everyone is a robot and can do things the same way everyday. Poor judgemental skills of individuals job skills, had alot of people in the wrong job categories when I started. Best cooks were diet aids, people who couldn't cook were cooks etc.I wouldn't recommended.
Pros
The residents of the facility
Cons
Everything named above
Very stressful and unorganized.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MDMay 20, 2016
The job that I applied for was to be a dietary aide, it was on the job posting. It was so unprofessional from when I very first started, my boss wasn't there the first day for me to sign papers for fire. I was doing dietary/utility for 8.00hr and no raises. The Chef isn't familiar with the diets for the residents and give the them same thing everyday to eat, and what they aren't allowed to eat. Always understaffed because people was quitting and other day or week. I don't understand how this company passed inspection or even still running. It was the worst job I've ever had.
Pros
free lunch, friendly co-workers, and seniors.
Cons
short breaks, false advertisement, and very little pay
Advancement opportunities
Director of Talent Acquisition (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MDFebruary 5, 2016
I worked at Culinary Services Group for three years. I was able to not only watch the company grow, but aide in it's growth. CSG is an exciting place to work and management allows you to dabble in various areas/departments to gain more experience and find the right career fit for yourself. I would recommend working for Culinary Services Group. You won't feel like a number working here, you will be treated as a valued employee.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, great networking, delicious food
Cons
Typical growing pains
benefits,job advancement
Cook/Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Elkin, NCSeptember 24, 2015
benefits are not good, they tell you u can advance within the company I have yet to I had my pay dropped with I feel like im worth a lot more co-workers are awesome but management needs work
Pros
free lunch good co-workers
Cons
management, company itself
Mgmt empowers people to succeed
Cook Supervisor (Current Employee) –  SCSeptember 24, 2015
Management and ownership are supportive and provide the tools needed for employees to succeed in their respective positions.
Innovative Company with Big Ideas
Food Service Director (Current Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDAugust 25, 2015
Culinary Services Group is the first company that has really given me a chance to show what I'm made of. They promoted me from Chef Manager to Food Service Director in April 2015. I have learned a lot about food cost, labor cost, employee management, HACCP procedures and so much more.
One thing I like a lot about this organization are the fun company wide competitions. I think it is a smart way to get people excited about their jobs as well as show case just what separates our company from the competition.
In my 13 months with this company I have had and lost 5 different mentors. The turn over rate forced me to hold my property together while maintaining positive customer relations. I believe that my ambition, will power, ability to learn "on the fly", customer service and self management skills are what made the owner of Culinary Services Group decided to offer me the Food Service Director title.
No matter where I end up I will always be grateful to CSG for everything they taught me, everything they saw in me and most of all for believing in me.
Very Exciting Place to work
Corporate Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MDMay 13, 2015
I absolutely loved my time here. Working directly with the owner on a daily basis and being involved completely in every aspect and level of the business really provided for a sense of ownership.
Pros
Contributions are noticed and appreciated
Unethical and decietfull upper management
Manager (Former Employee) –  MarylandFebruary 16, 2015
A 14 hour day is not uncommon and days off are far and few between.
A small company that is very unorganized and unethical. I have learned that people will sacrifice anything for money including ethics.
Upper management is unethical and lacks common core values.
The hardest part of the job was knowing after you made a great effort and promises to your team and client, upper management set you up to look like a liar and incompetent.
Pros
Cons
Unethical and disorganized
Contract Food service company
Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  Greensboro NCFebruary 8, 2015
Supervised dietary staff. Ordered food. Made employee schedules. Ongoing coaching and training of staff. Visited residents for food preferences.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Looking to do something more clinically related.
Co workers are great but management changes more than some change underwear
aide (Current Employee) –  boonsboro, mdJanuary 17, 2015
Management has changed so many times in one kitchen you really don't know who's your boss and who is not. You can request evert other weekend off like you are promised but end up working every single weekend anyways. You basically get over worked and under paid. Holidays forget it if you gave family because they don't care you will work all of them if you're really lucky.
Pros
you get a good learning experience from most, residents will love you
Cons
days off are few and far between, you're always short staffed
Typical day
Executive Chef - Encore at Turf Valley (Former Employee) –  Ellicot City, MDJanuary 1, 2015
While working with CSG I learned a lot about 'empowering' the front line staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to teach then watching as the team puts what has been taught into action.
Pros
People, culture
Cons
covering open shifts, handling callouts
Don't Believe What They Promise!
Director (Former Employee) –  MarylandOctober 6, 2014
If you like constantly being worried if you are going to lose your job and having the top manager belittle you and others regularly, than this company is the place for you!

If you are looking for a secure company with solid ethics, good people and solid benefits this is NOT the company for you!
Pros
Very small company
Cons
The top management and no support
Intresting place to work
DIETARY AIDE (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAMay 6, 2014
Overall, I thought working with C.S.G. was a good opportunity for me at the time.
Official response from Culinary Services Group
February 5, 2016

Thank you for your review. We value our employees and strive to offer career opportunities and advancement.

Hard but rewarding workplace
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Boonsboro, MDMarch 5, 2014
I cannot say the management makes the job worthwhile, and rarely the fellow employees, however the people you meet (residents) and experiences you have make it worthwhile.
Pros
free meals depending upon shifts
Cons
incompetant management
not worth the hassle
Cook Supervisor (Former Employee) –  wilkesboro,ncMarch 4, 2014
I have over 30 years cooking experience when I applied for the job.............this particular place had 2 different facilities I started as a cook at the lower one....after a year they decided I wasn't cooking up to their standards.....they in turn put me in the upper facility....after 2 years there....I was told I wasn't seasoning my food enough.....I was told I would be retrained personally by the food service director.....which we knew each other very well.....well that never happened.....I was then told I was going to be retrained by the new cook supervisor.....he started to retrain me... then after about 3 weeks I was brought into the office and was let go.........found out my letting go was due to the owner of the business.....she has never liked me from the beginning.....she wanted to have me fired 2 or 3 different times thru out the past 3 years.......it came to resign the yearly contract and she told them that I get fired or she doesn't sign........I cant believe this company would be so cold....at first they were great and cared about their employees.......now its about the money......I worked there for 3 years and I had good benefits......got 40 hours a week plus.....had 3 weeks paid vacation.......bad points from working there....I went in 1/2 hour early everyday and worked thru my lunch break and both paid 15 minute breaks.........had no choice .....WORK LOAD WAS WAY TO MUCH!!!!!.......I told that to one director and I was told if I couldn't do the job then he would find someone who could.........I think its pretty sad to work for a place for 3 years and was just  more... let go because my food quality wasn't good enough......after 3 years I thought I had great job security......talk about getting screwed over.....I did for sure......I had 36 hours vacation pay I had to roll over from the prior year......they don't pay you for all your earned vacation pay.......I asked them if I could get it and they said I lost it because I got terminated.....another screw job......STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!!  less
Pros
free meals....vacation pay....40 plus hours
Cons
workload to much......treated like you dont know anything....constantly changing things daily
not at this time
Salary Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilkesboro, NCFebruary 18, 2014
heath care field and serving 130 meals a day overseeing food quality and employee management
Small corp. office, had its good and bad points.
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MDJanuary 1, 2014
I was able to be very creative, but an office environment with favorites isn't very enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Culinary Services Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9