Cumulus Broadcasting

Cumulus Broadcasting Employer Reviews

No Job Security and Low Pay
On-Air Personality and Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), USAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: you meet a ton of great people
Cons: multiple layoffs and horrible pay
One of the worst places for job security and pay. Met a ton of great people and made some great memories, BUT pay is horrible, not unless you're in sales or in management. If you're part-time, which most of the employees are now, you're stuck with minimum wage salaries. LOVED what I did, but it wasn't worth the price I paid for the multiple layoffs, stress, decline in health and no life balance. Was working 10-11 hours everyday and no one even notices, except for those still there past 5pm...
Great Company
Account Executive (Current Employee), Fort Smith, AROctober 24, 2014
Normal Sales work environment 8-6 M-F
Worked 3 Other AE's and 1 SM.
Great work enviroment
Account Executive Radio (Former Employee), Mobile, ALOctober 18, 2014
Great company with a solid management and proven system for sales. I enjoyed many aspects of this job but did not like working for all commission.
Unique working experience
Full Time Morning Show DJ, Radio Talent (Current Employee), Wichita Falls, TXJune 19, 2014
Pros: free donuts every morning, healthcare benefits, flexible hours, opportunities to make extra money at live remotes
Cons: under staffed
Working at a radio station is definitely unlike any other office. The types of individuals that one works with as well as the types of individuals we interview and meet on a day to day basis keep things interesting.

A typical day at work would start at 5:30 am with show prep and coffee. From 6am-10am we talk on the air about day to day topics as well as current news and comedy. The best part about my job is giving away prizes to individuals who genuinely appreciate it, possibly need it, and love our station and what we do.

The management at my particular cluster of stations is very easy to work for. We present him with ideas and as long as they are well thought out and seem beneficial, he is usually very open to them.

The hardest part of my job is waking up so early in the morning, but that's only because I am a little bit of a night owl, nothing too serious.

This job has allowed me to network and get involved in my community. I have volunteered on many committees and helped put together several community and charity events.
You have to love what you do.
Producer/On-Air Talent (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJune 12, 2014
Pros: daily opportunity to entertain and reach out to the local community.
Cons: health care benefits, low pay, felt replaceable by company
Radio survives on the backs of people who LOVE radio. People who will put up with low wages, odd hours, and possible termination without any warning because they can't picture themselves doing anything else. I found myself to not be one of those people.
Management was lackluster. My operations manager was merely a buffer between us and people at the corporate level. Oftentimes I felt I had little control as far as my place in the company was concerned.

However when I was left to my own devices and was able to do my work without interference from upper management I found the job enjoyable.
Great place to work a lot of perks to the job
Tech/Board Operator (Current Employee), Allentown, PAJune 1, 2014
Pros: a lot of perks to the work you do
Cons: only part time
Great place to work, great people and great atmosphere. Pay is low and wish work was full time.
Productive, fun and exciting work environment
Advertising Account Executive (Former Employee), Abilene, TXApril 25, 2014
Pros: great benfits package with health, dental, vision, life and 401-k, paid vacation/sick days
Cons: no fuel or mileage reimbursement.
A typical day at Cumulus starts of with a sales meeting, then calls to new leads/prospects to set appointments and to confirm appointments already set for that day. Update calendar. Work on client presentations and spec spots. Meet with my appointments and drop in on new prospects to introduce myself and try and set appointments with them so that we can talk more about their business. Back to station at the end of day to write up orders, write creative copy for spots and email to clients for approval.
I learned a lot about getting past the gatekeepers and reaching the decision maker in a business, persistence pays off, understanding what's behind the objection in order to find ways to overcome it. Organization and communication are vital.
Most of my management was fantastic. They were highly encouraging. They were confidence builders. They were sometimes burdened with too much of a workload though, to be as effective as they needed to be.
Most of my co-workers were amazing individuals that taught me a lot about business and sales. They were motivators and encouragers. They were often available to help me professionally and personally.
The hardest part of the job was sometimes keeping up with demanding calendar expectations handed down from corporate, and presentation role play with co-workers.
The most enjoyable part of the job was landing new accounts and the relationships I built with my clients and certain co-workers.
Great experience
Promotions Intern (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 7, 2014
Very valuable experience for those looks to get event marketing experience
Oh it's okay
Promotions Crew Member (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 1, 2014
Dependent on who you work under, could be a great place. I had a great work experience until management changed.
Fun place to work for. Very upbeat
Account Executive (Former Employee), Florence SCJanuary 22, 2014
Radio sales is not for the faint of heart. I learned that cold calling sales is probably one of hardest of all sales techniques. Getting the appointment with the client is the hardest part. You'll defiantly see co-workers come and go quick in this market. Advertising is usually one of the first things a company will cut from its budget. BE CAREFUL
Cole's Review Summary
Traffic and Admin (Current Employee), Fayetteville, ARDecember 17, 2013
A typical day at Cumulus Broadcasting is awesome. Everyone is happy to be there and they love to give us free food every Wednesday. I started out as a volunteer working for free and I learned everything about the radio business. Now I am a part time worker and I mostly do data entry on the computer and send it to Corporate office. I also work as a receptionist whenever the regular receptionist goes on lunch break.
Excellent
PROMOTIONS DIRECTOR (Current Employee), Davenport, IADecember 9, 2013
Excellent Company to work for. Great co-workers and it has taught me alot about radio and media.
Great Training for Radio Sales
SALES/ MARKETTING EXECUTIVE (Former Employee), Des Moines, IADecember 5, 2013
Pros: great 401k
Cons: no office supplies
Every day started with a morning sales meeting where we trained on Selling Radio Advertising and set goals for the day/week/month and monitored those goals.
While Working with Cumulus I learned how to Cold Call and over come obstacles to get meeting with potential clients. Write commercials effectively, and utilize time management tools.
There was a very high turn over rate in the Sales Department, but everyone was willing to help each other and share their knowledge. The Best part of the job was meeting with clients and presenting proposals and commercials that I would tailor to their specific industry.

** I worked for Disney/ABC Radio for 9 years in Minneapolis as the Receptionist, which I believe was a better fit for my personality.
FUN JOB
Promotions Coordinator (Former Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 28, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: seasonal job
GREAT JOB /FUN/ NO DOWN TIME/ MUST BE AVAIL ALL THE TIME TO GET FUTURE JOBS
First Outside Sales position
Account Executive- Sales (Former Employee), Albany, GANovember 27, 2013
Fun place to work. Great income and room for advancement. Enjoyed my time there. Had an awesome Sales manager who I am still in contact with to this day.
Great Internship Experience
Internship (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALOctober 17, 2013
Cumulus was a great summer internship where I learned a lot about radio promotions.
Productive and fun place
Promotions Assistant (Current Employee), Providence,RIAugust 20, 2013
Pros: free entry to concerts and events
Cons: working weekends
My typical day at work consists of going to scheduled events for promotional purposes. Through the job I developed more of a tolerance for dealing with difficult people and situations. I also learned how to properly promote and market events, contests, and brands. My co-workers are a colorful collage of personalities. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to experience new things, meet new people, and go to the events.
Excellent Work Environment
Account Executive (Former Employee), Columbia, SCAugust 13, 2013
Pros: great hours, pay, and opportunity to meet new people.
Cons: limited growth past sales position.
Great company to work for with all necessary training and tools provided to you through extensive online resources and materials. Even if you know nothing about how to sell radio, they provide the tools necessary to take your selling skills and mold you into a sales professional of radio advertising.
Fun place in Intern
Intern (Former Employee), Providence, RIJuly 23, 2013
Pros: awesome people
Cons: not perminate
I was only here for three months but it was fun to intern there. I was just another person that could design.
Takes over your life
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 21, 2013
Pros: clients are the only plus
Cons: one word, awful
If you want no life outside work this is the place for you! The management dos nothing to help you to advance. It's also like being in high school, you better fit in. The money is terrible especially for how many hours you work. Unless you have been there at least 4 years you better have a second income

1 2 3

About Cumulus Broadcasting

Cumulus Media reigns over an empire of radio stations. The company is the #2 radio station ownership group in the US (behind Clear – Read more