Cumulus Media Employee Reviews in United States

Not a long term career
Account Executive/Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 19, 2016
If you are looking for a career it is wise to consider all of your options before choosing this company for your next job. Make sure you have everything in writing and speak with all of the managers before deciding. There is limited opportunity in radio. The turnover is high and most reps last 1-3 months. The salary in not a guarantee.
Pros
daily flexibility of schedule that you can come in office in morning, leave and be back later in day, no other benefits
Cons
lack of ability to make money, management unwilling to help, job is misrepresented as far as money, gurantees, accounts and expectations, Not a company to work for if you are lookingfor a job for more than 2-3 months
Interesting Working There
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 1, 2016
Overall It is not a bad place to work. Like any Large Corporation it has its faults. Radio has gotten to homogenized because of the syndication of shows nation wide and has taken all the local flavor out of the local markets. Local creativity is dwindling and I prefer to express myself and be creative.
Pros
FLexible hours in Some Positiond
Cons
No Raises or apprection for your work
Fun place to work, horrible wages
Promotions & Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 20, 2015
Cumulus is a fun place to work but they do not provide any opportunities to grow nor do they offer raises. I made 8.00/hr working there for 3 years. I went to one of the best schools for the position I was in and they still held me back to grow with the company. They are constantly laying people off and changing things around.
Exciting environment with something new everyday
Promotions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 15, 2015
This is one of the best places I have ever worked. There is nothing like the excitement of radio and the enthusiasm of positive co-workers. However, management often squeezes one dry of resources without proper compensation.
Pros
Exciting environment, fun culture
Cons
Very little opportunity for advancement, non-competitive pay
Get Out While you Can
Radio Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2015
If you want to work for a spineless program director, get paid worst than fast food employees, and disrespected by your co-workers...then Cumulus-NY is for you! The station sold itself long ago to substandard ad dollars and only care about ratings. The only staff who matters are the hosts and everyone else is just consequential. While I was lucky enough to get promoted my first year there, I didn't get an increase in salary. I was still making $14/hr! They somehow justified this. In one day I produced a show and then forced me to report on something because of the understaffed news department. There were never enough desks and people had to always share/
Pros
Sorry.
Cons
Low Salary, Disrespectful to employees, only care about ratings.
Corporate environment short on rewards and recognition.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 27, 2016
I worked for Cumulus (7) years as an account executive. I was a loyal and dedicated employee. I started in Topeka Kansas where for the most part things were fine, enjoyable and productive. By the time I arrived in the Lexington Kentucky market it was downhill. In my seven years I had as many General managers. Each manager was determined to "improve" the market. However, there was constant turn over not only in management, leadership but equally chaotic was the turn over in sales staff. In addition to this chaos you are treated as a "commission employee." This means you are treated as an employee minus the benefits while working hard to earn a commission (NO SALARY / BASE). In the end I was let go after the death of my father without regard to my grieving process. My advice is seek employment with a locally owned radio station if you can find it and avoid the corporate.
Challenging position in a fun environment
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WISeptember 20, 2015
Supportive team in a fast paced environment. In working in radio you are literally selling something that your clients can't see. You must be up for the challenge to show you have to spend money to make money. If you can show them the benefits you will do very well and go very far with this company
Very competitive atmosphere
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Ann ArborJuly 20, 2015
If you are a sales maven; this is the company for you! Great compensation, wonderful support, and fantastic management. But, if you are not really a sales person, and don't have much sales experience,then stay away.from working in advertising sales for this company.
Pros
Very exciting workplace. Lots of sales opportunities for the right type of people.
Cons
You really must be a seasoned sales professional to thrive here.
Fun Place To Work
Promotions Assistant/Board Operator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 24, 2015
Great job to have if your just starting your journey into the Radio business.

Working for this company I've learned a lot about radio but never had the chance to utilize that knowledge. Also since the company has taken over pay is still the same but they expect you work outrages hours for minimum wage (I get that it's an entry level job but for the work that you do minimum wage is not enough).
Pros
Great Co Workers, Fun Job, Meet lots of people
Cons
Pay, Part-Time, No Benefits
Productive and learning oriented workplace
Traffic Reporter (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 3, 2016
Cumulus Media Albuquerque is a great stepping stone for what I want to do and I have been given a bunch of new opportunities within the company to train and learn a bunch of different aspects of the industry. The people I've worked with have all been incredible and have answered any questions I have. I just wish the pay was better along with having better benefits.
Pros
Great work environment, even better people
Cons
Poor benefits, cheap pay
Good way to learn
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2015
Great company great management great working environment great benefits. I learned a lot . I enjoyed everyone

I don't know what else to say on this
Pros
money
Cons
the coffee
Newly aquired radio stations available to sell to clients.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 25, 2016
Cumulus media had done a great job in aquiring many different formats to meet the needs of our clients. However, when the rating wars and commercial rates became a major player in the market, we lost the battle. Once rates were lowered beyond market expectations, clients refused to pay higher rates when ratings increased.
Pros
Many formats/audience lifestyles.
Cons
Kept reducing rates resulting is less revenue.
No Room To Gro
Affidavit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 20, 2016
At Cumulus you will find out if you don't suck up no one will be loyal to you. There is a lot of favoritism at this company. A typical day is sitting at a desk answering phones and emails. You will also be setting up pledge times and putting invoices in the system. Co-workers are great, but management no so much except for a few.
Pros
Might get out early
Cons
Highschool enviornment
Horrible Place for Professional Women
I.T. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 30, 2016
There are some hard-working people at this company that are not appreciated. Most of them have jumped ship since Cumulus took over our group of radio stations. Sexism allowed to run rampant even though women are in charge. Avoid unless you like being treated like a submissive.
Pros
Meeting famous musicians once every two years
Cons
Horrible mis-management starting at the top; favoritism
Wouldnt recommend
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 18, 2015
I wouldn't recommend working here. The compensation isn't great, the management is sketchy. All the good accounts are given to the GM so there's really no way to make any money.
Great job, too much drama!
Promotions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 2, 2016
Unfortunately people seem to bring too much of their personal lives into this business, but that comes with most work places. Otherwise, I love coordinating with listeners, setting up the events and being the face of the radio station! I really feel like I have a part in my community here.
Pros
Friendly listeners, great benefits, loyalty
Cons
power-balance is not balanced
Management is horrible
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 6, 2016
Management and corporate communication is a joke, open door policy is a EVEN bigger joke. Wages low, accounts are fielded out to aes poorly. The market structure is designed to fail. Politics in the office and employee morale is in the toilet.
Pros
great sales training
Cons
office politics, poorly hired management
Work Culture
On Air Talent (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2016
-Small Staff
- enthusiastic team players
-open to new ideas
-resources were limited
- Did not always feel supported by management
Pros
new station
Cons
lack of communication with corporate and station support
Nice people to work with
Traffic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJuly 4, 2016
I enjoyed the people I worked with. Everyone was nice. The only problem was the pay and benefits are not that great. Plus it was hard to advance within the office.
Pros
people
Cons
advancement and pay
great learning experience
Assistant Marketing & Promotions Director (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 26, 2016
My time at Cumulus allowed me to learn more about marketing and developing effective strategies to properly promote a station's objective and better reach its projected demographic.

2.9