Cumulus Media

Cumulus Media Employee Reviews

The culture at the radio station motivated me to always be out selling.
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Milford, CTApril 28, 2015
Pros: There were many sales incentives provided when we achieved our goals.
Cons: 100% commission in today's economy, no gas or phone allowance.
The company is very organized where all systems are web based and each station they own operates the exact same. My typical day involved cold calling by phone, setting up appointments to meet with local media agents and small business, writing my own sales proposals, entering all orders I sold, submit copy and production instructions and when necessary on air contest that where negotiated with the client as added value for their business.

I was responsible for forecasting my weekly sales and prospect for new clients to meet my monthly sales goals.

I enjoyed my coworkers and I also enjoyed working in a face pace environment. There just wasn't enough support staff to allow me to spend more time on the road which was the hardest part of the job. Finding a way to get all the office work done and still have time to cold call clients in person.

I love advertising and meeting new people. I truly enjoy learning about my potentials clients business and help them over come whatever marketing/advertising problems they were having.

I am great at building relationships. My clients appreciated that my advertising experience went beyond radio advertising. And that I truly care about their return on their investment.
Radio
Business Assistant (Former Employee), Ventura CaApril 12, 2015
Pros: Concerts
Cons: Ugly people that they cant fire because they're the 3rd person in that spot in 2 months
When I first started with this company everything was fun and rewarding. In radio you don't make big bucks but you enjoy the time there because you love it. When the Staff is cut in half its not fun any more when your Management has no friends besides Staff that only are friends because they are getting paid its time to move on.
Very little hours
Promotion Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: too few hours available for a large staff
A typical work day starts in the early to late afternoon and ends anywhere between 7 and 11 PM. Too many workers, too few hours.
No future here.
Sales Executive (Former Employee), Oshkosh, WIFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: nice area.
Cons: too many to list.
There is no money to be made here. You pay ALL expenses, get paid commission only. CSOS sales system is no longer valid, but pushed down your throat. Turn over market manager every 2 months, no leadership available. Market is oversatuated with constant pushes by always rotating sales staff.

You will never be allowed to work with agency accounts; existing sales people will make sure they get them all, will block you if even try. Basically, you will generate commissions of about $15 - 25K before you can't afford to stay and the long termers that never leave the office will get them when you quit. You simply feed the beast until you are used up.
Remote Tech
Remote Support Technician, Intern (Former Employee), Allentown, PAJanuary 11, 2015
Meet new people at remotes. Set up events. Cumulus is a great company to work for. Usually in this position you can get as many hour as you want.
Challenging and exciting work enviroment
Promotions Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: different job requirements. exciting. meeting celebrities, atheletes and musical artists.
Cons: inconsistent hours, often chaotic.
A typical day at Cumulus included driving station vehicles to event, setting up venue or broadcast site, engaging with listeners and packing up set up.
I learned how to interact efficiently and successfully with account representatives, listeners, jocks and venders. Additionally, I learned the value of flexibility in a fast paced work environment. Management at Cumulus Media was a joy to work with, as most were on air personalities. My direct supervisors were adamant about creating a fun work environment that was both professionally and productive.

The most difficult part of this job were the inconsistent hours. This job is event based so each work day was subject to change on a whim. The most enjoyable part of this job was working concerts, festivals, and sporting events. The job was consistently new and exciting and as Promotion Assistants we often met celebrities, music artists and famous athletes.
Multi-faceted, fun
PRODUCTION INTERN, ZACH SANG AND THE GANG (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 15, 2014
I learned how a syndicated radio show works and its various parts. I also further developed my ability of topic development.
Good people
Sales (Current Employee), Fresno, CANovember 25, 2014
Fast paced work place, always something new to learn. Best part of the job is meeting new artists when they come through on radio tours.
excellent team work
CORPORATE ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 22, 2014
Pros: free shows
Cons: bad health care
No work and life balance. There seems to be a high turnover. The training programs are excellent. With such a high turnover , there seems to be a huge back log of work. Therr is no room for advancement and opportunities are few
Impressive title but terrible company and work environment
Sales Rep (Former Employee), IndianapolisNovember 21, 2014
Pros: it's a job that sounds good but is not.
Cons: it's a job that you will eventually leave. no long term opportunties.
Terrible place to work if you are thinking about a sales position. There are no daily expense benefits (you pay for tons of gas, etc.), and the other benefits are expensive! They micromanage you, do not believe in customer service, cookie cutter company managed from the top down. It's their way or the highway. Beware as there are better companies to work for. The hire and fire on a daily bases.
really cool if you like doing audio work and love radio
Intern (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKNovember 20, 2014
Pros: cool people, cool offices, cool equipment
Cons: dealing with politicians
i loved my time there with the katt. i wish i was still there to be honest. great people. great atmosphere. some days would drive ya fruity loops, but it is a cool place and a cool work environment.
Radio sales
Account Executive (Former Employee), North Charleston, SCNovember 17, 2014
Pros: high starting declining subsidy
Cons: comission based pay
Company that controls five radio stations in Charleston. This job required making sales for advertising space on those stations.
Fun and exciting work but the workplace leaves a lot to be desired.
Promotions Coordinator (Current Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 16, 2014
Pros: networking, free tickets to events/concerts, occasional free lunches, etc.
Cons: erratic schedule, long hours, working on holidays, etc.
This place is mostly fun to work with. We work a ton of events and meet all sorts of celebrities such as music artists, actors, and athletes. Our current team is just okay and lacks some passion for their jobs. Our current management has been a little bit disorganized and communication is not the best. The hardest part about this job is the hours. I have worked events as early as 3am in the morning and as late 2am. We also work some holidays but usually the events are fun. The best part of this job is to be able to get out in the public and show everyone the great brand that Cumulus offers. We have several radio stations that offer a variety of formats for just about everyone. We work a lot of fun events that allows us to use our creativity.
Great Company
Program Director (Former Employee), Toledo, OHNovember 14, 2014
Every day was an amazing opportunity to learn and to grow. Loved every day of it.
Why Bother
Sales Executive (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2014
Pros: free ticket to events
Cons: straight commission high customer attrition station format instability
Radio Sales is not the place to be if you want security or 100k+ potential. Cumulus is a typical corporate dictate type of company. Generic sales packages shoved down sales people's and client's throats. Too much turnover.

Most people fall into the glamour of a media job so they take, have to cold call, earn no draw, and as soon as you land a few big deals, somebody cancels and you never quite catch up with replacing business.
Very comfortable environment
Account Executive (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARNovember 6, 2014
Responsible for the advertising sales for eight radio stations
• Researched & generated new leads, performing cold calls overall prospecting for new business.
• Promoted sales of program sponsorships.
• Achieved display targets and maximized revenue.
• Prepared sales proposals and materials.
• Negotiated price adhering to established budgeted yields.
• Monitored and analyzed competitive media for business leads.
• Assuring ROI through strategic marketing, branding, and advertising
• Live Remote Broadcast, and Event Planning
Job is hard and requires a lot of time but will push you to be the best you can be
MARKET OPERATIONS MANAGER (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 29, 2014
Pros: free concerts during work hours
Cons: horrible benefits
Cumulus is very corporate and if you do not meet their standards you will be replaced. They require a lot of time and when someone quits or gets fired they do not hire until it is crucial to do so, but you will learn more than you will at other places and it pushes you to be the best you can be.
Great Job
Web Manager (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLOctober 25, 2014
Pros: freedom, comfortable working environment
Cons: low wages
Great Job with a lot of freedom and great coworkers. If you love radio you will enjoy the job. Very positive work environment.
An oppressive, micromanaged work environment
Broadcast Engineer (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 21, 2014
Cons: poor working conditions, almost zero health benefits, micromanagement
The owners of the company are only interested in pulling as much money out of the company as possible before abandoning the properties.
Fun work environment with horrible management structure
Account Executive (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIOctober 20, 2014
Pros: fun environement
Cons: no room for career development/ bad management system
Fun and Frustrating are the 2 words that best describe my experience with Cumulus Media. The sales system (CSOS) is an outdated joke of a sales structure, but once you realize that and are willing to mold the product to you strengths you can succeed. Management is force fed CSOS sales techniques, and sales packages from the corporate office that don't work well with your clients. Commissions are paid before client pays, so expect to spend half of your sales month tracking down payments from your clients, so that your commissions aren't charged back.

1 2 3 4

About Cumulus Media

Cumulus owns and operates 460 stations in 94 U.S. markets as well as Westwood One Networks, which serve over 10,000 stations worldwide. – Read more

Cumulus Media Salaries