Cumulus Media Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and learning oriented workplace
Traffic Reporter (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 3, 2016
Cumulus Media Albuquerque is a great stepping stone for what I want to do and I have been given a bunch of new opportunities within the company to train and learn a bunch of different aspects of the industry. The people I've worked with have all been incredible and have answered any questions I have. I just wish the pay was better along with having better benefits.
Pros
Great work environment, even better people
Cons
Poor benefits, cheap pay
Newly aquired radio stations available to sell to clients.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 25, 2016
Cumulus media had done a great job in aquiring many different formats to meet the needs of our clients. However, when the rating wars and commercial rates became a major player in the market, we lost the battle. Once rates were lowered beyond market expectations, clients refused to pay higher rates when ratings increased.
Pros
Many formats/audience lifestyles.
Cons
Kept reducing rates resulting is less revenue.
Horrible Place for Professional Women
I.T. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 30, 2016
There are some hard-working people at this company that are not appreciated. Most of them have jumped ship since Cumulus took over our group of radio stations. Sexism allowed to run rampant even though women are in charge. Avoid unless you like being treated like a submissive.
Pros
Meeting famous musicians once every two years
Cons
Horrible mis-management starting at the top; favoritism
Great job, too much drama!
Promotions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 2, 2016
Unfortunately people seem to bring too much of their personal lives into this business, but that comes with most work places. Otherwise, I love coordinating with listeners, setting up the events and being the face of the radio station! I really feel like I have a part in my community here.
Pros
Friendly listeners, great benefits, loyalty
Cons
power-balance is not balanced
Not a long term career
Account Executive/Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 19, 2016
If you are looking for a career it is wise to consider all of your options before choosing this company for your next job. Make sure you have everything in writing and speak with all of the managers before deciding. There is limited opportunity in radio. The turnover is high and most reps last 1-3 months. The salary in not a guarantee.
Pros
daily flexibility of schedule that you can come in office in morning, leave and be back later in day, no other benefits
Cons
lack of ability to make money, management unwilling to help, job is misrepresented as far as money, gurantees, accounts and expectations, Not a company to work for if you are lookingfor a job for more than 2-3 months
Management is horrible
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 6, 2016
Management and corporate communication is a joke, open door policy is a EVEN bigger joke. Wages low, accounts are fielded out to aes poorly. The market structure is designed to fail. Politics in the office and employee morale is in the toilet.
Pros
great sales training
Cons
office politics, poorly hired management
Corporate environment short on rewards and recognition.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 27, 2016
I worked for Cumulus (7) years as an account executive. I was a loyal and dedicated employee. I started in Topeka Kansas where for the most part things were fine, enjoyable and productive. By the time I arrived in the Lexington Kentucky market it was downhill. In my seven years I had as many General managers. Each manager was determined to "improve" the market. However, there was constant turn over not only in management, leadership but equally chaotic was the turn over in sales staff. In addition to this chaos you are treated as a "commission employee." This means you are treated as an employee minus the benefits while working hard to earn a commission (NO SALARY / BASE). In the end I was let go after the death of my father without regard to my grieving process. My advice is seek employment with a locally owned radio station if you can find it and avoid the corporate.
Interesting Working There
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 1, 2016
Overall It is not a bad place to work. Like any Large Corporation it has its faults. Radio has gotten to homogenized because of the syndication of shows nation wide and has taken all the local flavor out of the local markets. Local creativity is dwindling and I prefer to express myself and be creative.
Pros
FLexible hours in Some Positiond
Cons
No Raises or apprection for your work
Very lucrative for the right personality
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 5, 2016
The people who tend to succeed in this job are relentless headhunters. Those who are willing to be told no 50 times to get the one yes and have the passion for finding an undiscovered gem thrive here. You do get to meet a lot of interesting people, and there's a ton of autonomy within your typical workday. The company itself is on the mend, and can go nowhere but up.
great learning experience
Assistant Marketing & Promotions Director (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 26, 2016
My time at Cumulus allowed me to learn more about marketing and developing effective strategies to properly promote a station's objective and better reach its projected demographic.
enjoyable atmosphere,
street team member (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 29, 2015
Depeneding on the week, I either cover the front desk or I am at a promotions event. Promotion events are pretty enjoyable you get to mingle with people while giving away prizes .(depending on which event you get assigned to)
Pros
normal hours, learn new things while intermingling with people
Cons
not always steady hours, not enough $an hour
Hard for new employees to make a living
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAMay 16, 2016
You have to be there for years or someone has to die before you can get larger accounts. It takes lots of work to make a small sale and you are paid for your efforts.
Pros
learn on the job
Cons
no money
loved meeting all the different people
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJanuary 9, 2016
Enjoyed meeting all the different types of people that advertise with radio. Loved going to do the promotions. The job was probably a fantastic job before 2008 with business advertising in radio. The year I was in it wasn't the best.
Pros
lots of perks
Cons
insurance very expensive
Great work place with great and inspiring people!
Afternoon Traffic Anchor (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 29, 2016
Cumulus Broadcasting Tallahassee is one of the best places to work. The staff are friendly and everyone is like one big family.
Pros
Theres always free food
Cons
none!
Work Culture
On Air Talent (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2016
-Small Staff
- enthusiastic team players
-open to new ideas
-resources were limited
- Did not always feel supported by management
Pros
new station
Cons
lack of communication with corporate and station support
Fun place to work, horrible wages
Promotions & Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 20, 2015
Cumulus is a fun place to work but they do not provide any opportunities to grow nor do they offer raises. I made 8.00/hr working there for 3 years. I went to one of the best schools for the position I was in and they still held me back to grow with the company. They are constantly laying people off and changing things around.
Great starting job
Promotions Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, PAMarch 3, 2016
Met many interesting people, attended interesting local events.
Mostly involved sitting at a table ready to provide information when someone was interested.
Pros
Cool events
Cons
Irregular hours
Great Company
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 16, 2016
Great company. Growing company, headed in the right direction. I would recommend this company to anyone looking to get into the media business. Leadership is top notch.
The place to be for radio broadcasting
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 8, 2016
Their stations are the best in town and it's all because of the people working in in the building. From the sales team and their managers, to the promotions and production staff, to the night crew - everybody loves what they do.
Traffic Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 25, 2015
A typical day at work is placing commercials on the traffic log for any given time. You learn something new on a daily basis. Management is great. Co-workers are fun to be around. The hardest part of the job is replacing commercials that have been removed from the traffic logs. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and prizes given to staff.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Mangement leaving