Cumulus Media

Cumulus Media Employer Reviews

We are all just worker ants
Commercial Clearance Representative (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 10, 2014
Pros: everyone hates it
Cons: i got a promotion revoked due to a company merge
Overworked, underpaid, under appreciated. No moral, no perks, no bonuses, no parties. Lay off after lay off.
Not what I expected
Account Executive (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 4, 2014
Pros: free food, freedom, make your own paycheck, started giving incentives
Cons: completely commission based, unnecessary weekly meetings, high turnover (2 or more people/month quitting or being fired)
Typical day at work:
Cold calling, going to appointments, using 3 or more different software's, clerical work, collecting checks, sales, and meetings.

What I learned:
A lot about media, sales, marketing, different business practices, and inside information on several different companies.

Management:
Took the job specifically because I thought I would – more... work well with my manager. He got sidetracked and had to keep up with superfluous corporate nonsense. This made it difficult to get trained here and, even though her wanted to help me more he couldn't. Both of the managers I reported to were later fired and then I REALLY had no one there for me.

Co-workers:
My mentor was the person who helped me the most. Without her I wouldn't have known how to do most of the things at work. A lot of people were great and very nice to me, but some who were more senior with more experience seemed to look down on me a bit since I am right out of college. I understand this, but instead of writing me off it would have been more beneficial to help me out. Most of the staff was very friendly and helpful, though.

Hardest Part of my Job:
Staying motivated when I had absolutely no supervision. I could not come to work on certain days with no one noticing. I also did not like cold calling and realized that sales probably was not the place for me.

The Most Enjoyable Part of the Job:
The perks we got such as free food and meeting celebrities. It was also nice to have goals to meet even if the ones given to us were somewhat unreachable and kind of discouraging. – less
Great Company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMay 9, 2014
Learn the inside and out of radio quickly. Great way to meet like-minded people with in-studio visits and onsite activations.
Fast Pace job
Director Of Marketing & Promotions (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAMay 6, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting out in the community to meet listeners.
It was not a good fit
Account Executive (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 30, 2014
Working at Cumulus was not a good fit for me as it was my first sales job out of college and I was selling radio stations that had demographics of 45+ on the younger end of the spectrum.

Daily sales meetings that accomplished nothing
lots of travel always on the go
sales associate (Former Employee), Albany, GAApril 22, 2014
Pros: always in the community meeting new people and help build a future for local businesses
Cons: small market, established sales reps already had the big accounts locked up
every morning we would have a sails meeting and training once a week
starting the day at 0800, by 0900 I would have my schedule approved and leave the office
i would have on average 7-9 meetings with new clients a day, with 3-4 service calls with my existing clientele daily.
Wednesday each week there would be a cold call session block for two hours – more... to drum up new meetings for the next week.
twice a week i would take time to develop a marketing strategy for new clients, and put together a mock up " spec spot" of what that might sound like for their campaign on the radio – less
Hardworking people with a positive attitude
Executive Assistant to Regional VP/National Sales (Current Employee), Bridgeport, CTApril 9, 2014
Pros: great work environment.
Cons: healthcare
Managers and co-workers have commented on high levels of accuracy and work productivity. Takes pride in work and strives to improve work performance. Quantity of work produced is outstanding.Required paperwork is completed late or is only partially complete.
Cumulus Media LAST RESORT
Account Executive (Former Employee), Mobile, ALFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: mon-fri. thats it!
Cons: pay structure, management, ethics
Cumulus Media is a joke. Where do I begin? Management is the worst. They don't care about your jobs, they simply care about your sales. The turnover rate is so high. I was here for 8 months and saw at least 3 people interviewing a week. Management does not care, and they are horrible.

Now the co-workers were amazing. Awesome people. However, everyone – more... seems to hate management. I was actively seeking a second job WEEK 2, and found received several offers as I milked my "declining subsidy." I hit my number for 8 months, and then I was gone to a salary + commission job.

You actually lose money if you sell more than expected because you are capped at what you can make if you accept the subsidy. Haha, funny how that works huh?

Oh yes, and when you quit make sure you tell NOBODY! I was warned in advance and got my check as I quit on payday. If you quit before you will not get your money, so make sure you time it right.

Unless you are in transition, don't waste your time. – less
Productive Place to Work, Great Environment
Traffic / Continuity Assistant (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 5, 2014
Learned the ins and outs of the radio industry. Very helpful workers. Great environment.
Fun, exciting, new work environment
Promotions Assistant (Former Employee), York, PAJanuary 29, 2014
Fun for a internship type of job. Traveled to different businesses to do remotes with Radio On Air personalities. Also different work & meeting new people.
Great company, tough job
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee), New London, CTDecember 6, 2013
I enjoyed the thorough training process and all of my coworkers, especially my boss; however, I am not comfortable in the role of salesperson in an industry with which I am not particularly familiar.
Cumulus. Not the place you want to work
Marketing Consultant (Current Employee), Stockton, CaNovember 22, 2013
Pros: mileage, training, fun environment, challenge
Cons: horrendous management, flip-flop products, no responsibility for higher ups, favoritism, the list goes on and on
I cant seem to find much positive about this company, the management is horrible. No direction, lazy and manipulative. The management takes leads to cushion their paycheck and yes, the management makes commission on top of whatever they make for salary. In the few months I was at cumulus 5 sellers out of 10 quit. That should say alot about the company – more... as a whole. The employees are kind, to a degree. The ones that are there are veterans and have been there for over 10 years and have their accounts and have to do little prospecting and cold-calling/networking. Any individual who is transferring or is new to sales "Beware" you are in for an incredible up-hill climb with this company. You cannot trust management, they have double standards and fail to bring anyone along who might need help and guidance. Take it from me and 5 other employees that have left their position at cumulus media, this is not the place you want to work. Move on..... the management here will stab you in the back.. – less
One of the last Full Time positions in Radio
Brand Manager/ Program Director - KKEG (Current Employee), Fayetteville, ArkansasNovember 18, 2013
Pros: popularity
Cons: long days
My typical day was rather lengthy and often 7 days per week but it came with it's rewards. The position has it's advantages.
Great learning experience
Sales Support/Assistant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2013
Pros: free mini concerts at the office
On a typical day I'd attend meetings with the team including the SVP and VP to come up with creative ideas for national clients and new media buys. I'd research assigned companies and compile Excel spreadsheets with their historical media spending in radio and other media outlets. Contacted radio stations to see if proposed schedules and rates would – more... clear. Built customized presentations for SVP and VP to use with prospective clients.

I learned more about the radio industry and how complex scheduling and media buys are. I was able to gain more experience working with upper level executives and help develop creative ideas to boost business by using radio and other assets of the company. Loved working directly with the SVP and VP. They were a great pair to learn from. The hardest part of the job was finding enough work to do when their was down time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I got to meet and work with. – less
Best people I have worked with in the industry. Awesome group of people.
Production Intern (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 4, 2013
While I was at Cumulus I learned the production side of radio. I learned a great deal from editing audio to uploading it to the website. I was treated with respect and these people are still my favorite people I have ever worked with.
sports talk show and marketing consultant daily
sports talk show host (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYOctober 5, 2013
Pros: was able to do a sports talk show.
Cons: worked too many hours and had too much stress. full commission employee.
Hosted a sports talk show daily and was the color commentator for high school sports. I was also a marketing representative for all four radio stations.
Great place to begin a career in media
Assistant Program Director/Producer (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: experience, entrance into events
Since starting here, I have gained much professional knowledge. This place is a great start into the field of media/entertainment.
Fun Place to work
On-Air Personality (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAAugust 5, 2013
Company from out of state and just didnt get the New Orleans area culture
Tough Culture
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Ventura, CAJuly 29, 2013
Pros: great for beginners
Cons: digital is in its infancy stage
This is a great company to cut your teeth with but they are not digitally savvy yet.
Senior Sales and Marketing Consultant (Former Employee), poughkeepsie NYJuly 9, 2013
Pros: great money
Cons: once corporate atlanta took over, everything changed, commission cuts, etc
I was one of the top performers at Cumulus, with a 16 years career there. Great staff, local management good. We worked hard and the harder we worked, the more money we made. I had to learn to write creative which intimated me at first and in the end I was one of the best .copy writers and often voiced my own ads. Once of the best features was being – more... able to schedule time to be at my young kids sporting events and home on a snow day. A phone and computer were all one needed to work anywhere. – less