Cumulus Media Employee Reviews in United States

Not a long term career
Account Executive/Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 19, 2016
If you are looking for a career it is wise to consider all of your options before choosing this company for your next job. Make sure you have everything in writing and speak with all of the managers before deciding. There is limited opportunity in radio. The turnover is high and most reps last 1-3 months. The salary in not a guarantee.
Pros
daily flexibility of schedule that you can come in office in morning, leave and be back later in day, no other benefits
Cons
lack of ability to make money, management unwilling to help, job is misrepresented as far as money, gurantees, accounts and expectations, Not a company to work for if you are lookingfor a job for more than 2-3 months
Exciting environment with something new everyday
Promotions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 15, 2015
This is one of the best places I have ever worked. There is nothing like the excitement of radio and the enthusiasm of positive co-workers. However, management often squeezes one dry of resources without proper compensation.
Pros
Exciting environment, fun culture
Cons
Very little opportunity for advancement, non-competitive pay
Interesting Working There
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 1, 2016
Overall It is not a bad place to work. Like any Large Corporation it has its faults. Radio has gotten to homogenized because of the syndication of shows nation wide and has taken all the local flavor out of the local markets. Local creativity is dwindling and I prefer to express myself and be creative.
Pros
FLexible hours in Some Positiond
Cons
No Raises or apprection for your work
Fun place to work, horrible wages
Promotions & Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 20, 2015
Cumulus is a fun place to work but they do not provide any opportunities to grow nor do they offer raises. I made 8.00/hr working there for 3 years. I went to one of the best schools for the position I was in and they still held me back to grow with the company. They are constantly laying people off and changing things around.
Advertising Sales - it's tough but rewarding
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 6, 2015
Great to help local businesses grow through their marketing, using your stations. At the time I was there, the market manager knew very little on advertising, and made the culture very grim. The local sales manager was the savior of the market for sure. Great programming, great promotions, but in the end, they sold!
enjoyable atmosphere,
street team member (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 29, 2015
Depeneding on the week, I either cover the front desk or I am at a promotions event. Promotion events are pretty enjoyable you get to mingle with people while giving away prizes .(depending on which event you get assigned to)
Pros
normal hours, learn new things while intermingling with people
Cons
not always steady hours, not enough $an hour
Work Culture
On Air Talent (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2016
-Small Staff
- enthusiastic team players
-open to new ideas
-resources were limited
- Did not always feel supported by management
Pros
new station
Cons
lack of communication with corporate and station support
Cumulus
Overnight Auditor/Air Talent (Current Employee) –  Mission, KSFebruary 16, 2016
It is a good place to work and I don't have any complaints at the moment, so if you're interested in a career in radio this would be a decent place to begin your career.
loved meeting all the different people
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJanuary 9, 2016
Enjoyed meeting all the different types of people that advertise with radio. Loved going to do the promotions. The job was probably a fantastic job before 2008 with business advertising in radio. The year I was in it wasn't the best.
Pros
lots of perks
Cons
insurance very expensive
Get Out While you Can
Radio Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2015
If you want to work for a spineless program director, get paid worst than fast food employees, and disrespected by your co-workers...then Cumulus-NY is for you! The station sold itself long ago to substandard ad dollars and only care about ratings. The only staff who matters are the hosts and everyone else is just consequential. While I was lucky enough to get promoted my first year there, I didn't get an increase in salary. I was still making $14/hr! They somehow justified this. In one day I produced a show and then forced me to report on something because of the understaffed news department. There were never enough desks and people had to always share/
Pros
Sorry.
Cons
Low Salary, Disrespectful to employees, only care about ratings.
Traffic Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 25, 2015
A typical day at work is placing commercials on the traffic log for any given time. You learn something new on a daily basis. Management is great. Co-workers are fun to be around. The hardest part of the job is replacing commercials that have been removed from the traffic logs. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and prizes given to staff.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Mangement leaving
Very competitive atmosphere
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Ann ArborJuly 20, 2015
If you are a sales maven; this is the company for you! Great compensation, wonderful support, and fantastic management. But, if you are not really a sales person, and don't have much sales experience,then stay away.from working in advertising sales for this company.
Pros
Very exciting workplace. Lots of sales opportunities for the right type of people.
Cons
You really must be a seasoned sales professional to thrive here.
The place to be for radio broadcasting
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 8, 2016
Their stations are the best in town and it's all because of the people working in in the building. From the sales team and their managers, to the promotions and production staff, to the night crew - everybody loves what they do.
Cumulus Houston
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Texas Gulf Coast, TXJanuary 4, 2016
Excellent co-workers. Company is currently going through a shift in management, Improved changes are on the horizon. It's a good time to join the company.
Productive and learning oriented workplace
Traffic Reporter (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 3, 2016
Cumulus Media Albuquerque is a great stepping stone for what I want to do and I have been given a bunch of new opportunities within the company to train and learn a bunch of different aspects of the industry. The people I've worked with have all been incredible and have answered any questions I have. I just wish the pay was better along with having better benefits.
Pros
Great work environment, even better people
Cons
Poor benefits, cheap pay
Newly aquired radio stations available to sell to clients.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 25, 2016
Cumulus media had done a great job in aquiring many different formats to meet the needs of our clients. However, when the rating wars and commercial rates became a major player in the market, we lost the battle. Once rates were lowered beyond market expectations, clients refused to pay higher rates when ratings increased.
Pros
Many formats/audience lifestyles.
Cons
Kept reducing rates resulting is less revenue.
Good way to learn
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2015
Great company great management great working environment great benefits. I learned a lot . I enjoyed everyone

I don't know what else to say on this
Pros
money
Cons
the coffee
Review Summary
on air talent, talent broker, event producer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 15, 2015
Live radio talk show. On air at 5:00am-12:00pm
Working with many personalities
Radio management is independent of the "Host" management
Great team
Constantly being "ON" 5hrs a day!
I love people
Pros
Fun
Horrible Place for Professional Women
I.T. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 30, 2016
There are some hard-working people at this company that are not appreciated. Most of them have jumped ship since Cumulus took over our group of radio stations. Sexism allowed to run rampant even though women are in charge. Avoid unless you like being treated like a submissive.
Pros
Meeting famous musicians once every two years
Cons
Horrible mis-management starting at the top; favoritism
Great job, too much drama!
Promotions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 2, 2016
Unfortunately people seem to bring too much of their personal lives into this business, but that comes with most work places. Otherwise, I love coordinating with listeners, setting up the events and being the face of the radio station! I really feel like I have a part in my community here.
Pros
Friendly listeners, great benefits, loyalty
Cons
power-balance is not balanced