Cunningham Children's Home Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Quick paced and stressful
Night Milieu Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILSeptember 27, 2017
The agency has very good training, however management does not have an understanding or appreciation for what the lower line staff do. The staff working directly with the clients are subjected to extreme verbal and at times physical abuse. Very minimal work life balance.
Pros
Training
Internship
Intern Girl's Group Home (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILSeptember 25, 2017
My internship here was life changing and hold a special place in my heart. The staff and clients made my experience worthwhile. There was never a dull day on my unit!
Eye opening experience
Psychology Intern (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILJuly 17, 2017
It was a good place to discover myself, given that I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. I wanted to go into the mental health field at the time. While it is my personal decision not to, I had some wonderful experiences there, and I think working there is a privilege. However, it is not for the faint of heart.
Always an interesting day
Admin Support (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILMay 9, 2017
This is not somewhere you can come to work and half do your job. It requires a 100% all the time for both the kids and staff. The kids need adult parental guidance, not staff trying to be their friend.
Decent
Direct Care Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILApril 29, 2017
As a night awake I worked from 11pm to 9am. The nights usually go smooth with some children having issues every once in awhile. Night staff are responsible for some chores around the unit. On school days, night staff help get the children up, take meds, eat breakfast, and go to school.
Meaningful experience
Psychology Intern (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILFebruary 12, 2017
You're required to learn and work with children who have been through unspeakable things and you have to understand how trauma affects and impacts people, to say the least. You come into contact with some great people, and it adds some richness to life. Good work for people who are contemplating becoming therapists/clinical social workers.
Loved working with the staff and young adults
Night Milieu Counselor/Day Site Educator (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILDecember 19, 2016
Working the night shift was a lot of cleaning and checking on the kids when they were sleeping. It also consisted of getting the kids to bed.

As a day site educator was more developing the young adults into adults. They initially lived in apartments and then moved into a house where there would be a staff on site 24/7. There was a lot more cleaning than should be expected for a day or afternoon shift. The management was finicky and picky about what staff was donig right and wrong.
Was offered this position but...
Teachers Assistance (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILDecember 3, 2016
I was offered the teachers assistant position and accepted! I filled out all the paperwork, finger printing, background check, physical, and given a start date. BUT. Was denied the job after I failed a "strength and flexiablity test" that 1- I was never told about if I failed they took the job away from me and 2- was not told the intensity of this test. Since I had already put my 2 weeks in and they already filled my position...needless to say I am out of a job. Do not recommend this place because of the management.
everyday is different
Recreation Liaison (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILDecember 2, 2016
HArd to give a review of a typical day since no day was typical. Kids would come home from school either in a good mood or bad moods or would get so mad at school they would run away from the unit and that was a whole nether issue. Everything could be good on the unit and 1 small little spark could cause a fight or outburst or kid/s leaving the units, these kids were called AWOL, we would either have to chase them down or just await till police catch them or they come back on their own. Help with school work, tried to have a structured day for when they were on the unit so they didn't have the opportunity to misbehave. Took them to activites they were involved in based on their own special programs. served them breakfasts, lunches and dinners supplied by the facilities. Help them with transition between different times, showers and bedtimes making sure the unit ran smoothly. Pretty much you were there parent while on the unit and complying with their own special needs based on why they were there.
Productive and fun work place.
Recreational Liasion (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 30, 2016
Typical day at work would include, welcoming the youth from school, assisting with homework help, special therapies, 1:1 interaction with children of all ages.
Rewarding and challenging workplace with awesome coworkers
Milieu Counselor (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILOctober 14, 2015
Assist clients in daily activities and special therapies classes. Provide care, supervision and cater to daily needs. Complete therapeutic assignments and help clients develop healthy coping skills in order to get through daily challenges with peers, trauma and family struggles. Direct care coworkers are supportive and work as a team to keep the clients safe. The hardest part of the job is accepting times where progress is not made with clients, even after multiple attempts to help them progress mentally and emotionally. I have learned how to pick my battles and patience during my time at Cunningham Children's Home. I am not a fan of management because of their lack of support for the employees.
Pros
Experience within the residential setting.
Cons
No breaks, lack of support from administration.
Not a very supportive company
Medical Liaison (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILMarch 20, 2015
This company is not supportive or appreciative of its employees. The staff is great and creates a positive work environment. The administration on the other hand I cannot say the same.
Great and rewarding job
Sub Counselor (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILDecember 12, 2014
This is a very difficult but rewarding job. The people who work here are wonderful and they are extremely underpaid for what they do. The hardest part of the job is the frustration of the children who feel lost as to what the future holds for them.
Enjoyed working with the children.
Nightawake (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 9, 2014
A typical workday consisted of making sure the children acclimated to the transition to bed. The hardest part of the job was the high turn over rate. The most enjoyable of part of this position would be the active participation from the children.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the children.
Cons
The high turn over rate.
rewarding experience
Boys' Group Home Intern (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILSeptember 17, 2013
I couldn't attribute one experience more to enhancing my passion for helping others more than Cunningham. It not only helped me cement my passion in the helping field but as well helped expand my worldview.
Great team and high stress
Previous Employee (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ilJuly 11, 2013
So much work, so little time. Expectations are very high. Enjoyed working with the variety of staff. High stress enviroment.
tough but rewarding
Jr. High (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILOctober 23, 2012
This is one of the nicest homes ever. There is very little staff turnover. The administration has been there together for years and all have worked in one area or another. They treat their staff so well both on a day to day and long term basis. !!!
The kids are a joy. Crisis and dramatic moments are shared by all the staff and support is always there.

You couldn't find a better principal than at Circle Academy. You just can't. She's gold.
Pros
family style lunch w/class; great principal; beautiful environment;

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cunningham Children's Home. Our community is ready to answer.

Cunningham Children's Home Reviews by Location