CUNY Employee Reviews in United States

Exceptional experience
Professor of Sociolinguistics (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 20, 2016
CUNY campuses have been nationally recognized as culturally diverse institutions of higher learning that foster a profound appreciation for different cultures, languages and world perspectives.
Best internship ever!
Volunteer at the Peter McGuinness Senior Center (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 22, 2015
The people at the Pete McGuinness were very understanding and friendly. They worked with me and made me feel comfortable with them.
All "CONS"
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2015
College Assistant typical work life is like working as hotel doormat.

Management is a joke! They don't care about you. All they care about when is their next paycheck!

Co-workers/students are a joke, they are smart in their academics but lazy as F$#K! You can literally not show up for work and get still get pay, and not get fired.

Most enjoyable part of the job is leaving end of the day!
Pros
Cons
Union fees, No raises, No Holiday Pay, No Vacation Pay, No Overtime Pay, Very Short Lunch Breaks, Make up hours for days you missed, Management is JOKE!
Productive and fun workplace with great co-workers
College Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYOctober 4, 2015
I was able to create my school schedule around my working hours without a problem. My supervisor was willing to work with me in order to complete my BA degree. He is also pushing for me to finish my Masters as well since I have access to the college resources still as a staff member.
Flexible hours
Program Coordinator / The Research Foundation (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was utilizing the human services skills learned during my classroom instruction. I enjoyed interacting with the students during seminars.
Working with CUNY
Senior Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 28, 2015
I have been with this company for 25 years and I enjoy working with them. I love my job. The benefits are great but the salary is not.
Okay
Student Call Taker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2015
The job was okay. You have to deal with people that are crazy and rude on the phone. Management cares about how quick you can end the call. Doesn't feel like people are actually being helped.
Highly professional Adultn Education Program
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 15, 2015
Grant-funded Adult Education Program providing free ESL and HSE classes to immigrants and low income newyorkers in a friendly environment with all the necessary classroom and technological facilities.
Cons
45 minutes break for 5 or 6 hours classes
a nice place to work
CustodianSupervisor (Former Employee) –  Lehman CollegeSeptember 4, 2015
CUNY is a safe and good environment place to work, friendly co-workers and staff and faculty members, a place where you can groth of experience and opportunities, etc
Clinical isolates of Candida albicans as well as a number of pathogenic bacteria produce the enzyme prolidase. This demonstration of the enzyme using
Prolidase activity in Candida albicans (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 24, 2015
Prolidase is a metallopeptidase that is ubiquitous in nature and has been isolated from many different organisms such as bacteria, archaea and fungi. Prolidase specifically hydrolyzes dipeptides. It requires zinc and/or other metals for activation. Routinely used laboratory isolate of C. albicans, ATCC 36232 produces significantly reduced amount of prolidase. We investigated to determine the enzyme level during different phases of growth in minimal media. The data for prolidase activity yielded negative results. It was also concluded that DBP/Tween-80 mixture was not toxic for the respective strains. All toxicity assays performed with cultures of the chemical dilution were positive indicating the absences of toxicity at the concentrations utilized. For the whole cell assay, MnCl2 was used for activation of prolidase. The qualitative assay of this whole cell was also negative. We assume that the amount of time affected our results. We can conclude that an appropriate future strategy with a time course spanning from 12 hours to 72 hours or longer may yield better results.
Productive and very interest place to work
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 14, 2015
Very interesting place to work. It's wonderful being behind the desk and dealing with all different kind of problems and students.
Fulfilling, productive and a family-oriented environment to work in.
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2015
My typical work day consisted of various clerical duties such as typing, data entry, filing and retrieving, answering telephone/providing information/relaying messages, serving as a receptionist,opening/sorting/distribution of mail, providing photocopies. I worked under the direct supervision of the College Office Assistant. Assisted the professors, adjuncts, counselors/advisers with open enrollment/registration of incoming freshmen and continuing students. My co-workers and I had a great and wonderful rapport. The fulfilling part of my job was seeing those students you helped graduate and move on successfully. The hardest part was leaving...
No room for growth
Public Health /Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2015
No room for growth; Poor management of integral services desperately needed by the student population. High turnover rates due to low morale and financial discouragement.
Good experiences in academic environment
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  City College, College of Staten IslandAugust 4, 2015
Intensive workload
Active students
Great opportunities to learn to communicate with people
Great opportunities to improve my presentation skills and Time management
It's a great place to work!
COLLEGE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2015
I am still an employee with CUNY, so I feel a little uncomfortable writing this review. The people are very friendly and nice at my location (Hunter College High School). I have been here three years and its been a great experience.
Pros
Great People, Students are very respectful
Exciting place to work in.
Campus Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2015
My reviews are mixed and will not care to write about it. Would like to remain neutral where I worked at. CUNY is a diverse organization. Extremely multi-cultural and very political.
Pros
Excellent benifits
Cons
High turnover rate at my campus.
very good place to start a career
Assistant Registrar (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 8, 2015
overall very good just some problems with contract being renewed due to this being a city job. The management is well rounded but the really good people don't last long since the compensation for good work simply isn't there.
Diverse and active position, expanding customer service skills
Customer Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2015
I answer calls for the city's housing authority tenants in which they all call one telephone number for services regarding their apartment. The call center is open hours but because i am a student we are only allowed a certain amount of hours per week. the call center hires cuny students, temporary employees and the regular permanent ones. each set of workers has different schedules and pay as well. but we do come together as one when needed for working together to complete each task
Pros
working for the city gives me general exposure to other opportunities.
Cons
Transportation can sometimes not be in our favor coming and going.
retail
Intern (Former Employee) –  flushing, nyMay 7, 2015
Work in the register, restocking inventory, cleaning the floors and windows. Vacuuming the rugs. Co-workers in a masculine environment
CUNY is a sercure place to work. But you can get over worked at times and no compensation.
HR Coordinator - Asst. to Higher Education Officer (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 24, 2015
I love working at CUNY. Although you may have the same title as some other employee, your task may be triple theirs and nothing can be done. You can get lucky and get in a laid back department or you can be placed somewhere, and become the manager and paid as an office assistant.
Benefits
Cons
no flexiblity with schedule