CUNY

CUNY Employer Reviews

Student Job
JOHN JAY COLLEGE OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 6, 2014
Great work expierence and every student should get work study program
Benefits
HR/ Payroll Specialist, OHRM - PRSOS Department (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 28, 2014
Good Benefits
Tuition Waiver and reimbursement
Team work environment
It's a wonderful and enjoyable environment to work in.
Caiman Advisor (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 21, 2014
A typical day at work is talking to incoming 10-15 freshmen daily during the registration period. You advise freshmen about the school and about the desired major. In addition , you help students create schedule that works for them.
Great place to work.
College Assistant- Registrar Department (Current Employee), Jamaica, New YorkMarch 18, 2014
You get a sense of satisfaction knowing that you have contributed to students and their tertiary education.
Great place to learn
SERVER SUPPORT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 3, 2014
Pros: top of the line equipment
Cons: lack of compensation
Working for any government agency you obtain a great amount of experience only if you choose to work hard.internal promotions are always available but compensation never meets the amount of resposibility
Nice place for studying and experience different culture.
Ph.D. Candidate (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 14, 2014
As a Ph. D student and Laboratory instructor, It was a little hard in the beginning. I am glad that I manage to work it through. The work for laboratory instructor include prepare lecture, teaching, and grading. I am also happy that I got this great chance for doing this teaching. People in CUNY were nice and helpful. I learned lots of teaching skills – more... and have shared my own experience with other instructors.
The hardest part was when the research work and teaching jobs were both busy at the same time. However, with more experience gained by year, I was very good at managing it.
The enjoyable part will be the time I saw students making good progress on their laboratory works and reports. – less
Overall, It was a great learning experience and environment.
Adjunct Lecturer/Co-Op Advisor (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYDecember 30, 2013
Pros: flexilble schedule
Cons: n/a
I enjoyed working at CUNY. It was a great experience. I love the interaction with staff and students, which was positive.

A typical day would be meeting with students to assist them in identifying an internship in their career interest or lecturing a seminar (Critical Reflections or Fundamentals of Career Advancement).

The hardest part was finding – more... an appropriate internship for a student at the last hour. Fortunately, the student was able to secure one.

I enjoyed the flexibility of my schedule.

For the most part, it was a nurturing environment as well as a supportive. – less
Productive and fast pace.
College Assistant (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 8, 2013
Very productive place to work. It is a very fulfilling experience working with college students. If I am able to help a student get to the next level, I feel that I have accomplish something very good.
Productive and a fun workplace
John Jay College of Criminal Justice (Current Employee), New York, New YorkNovember 13, 2013
Pros: free lunches, healthcare
Cons: heavy calls on certain hours
A typical day at work would be to answer calls from Helpdesk. We would help faculties, staffs, and students with any problems related to the information technology's guidelines. I learned how to work with different operating systems. In addition, I learned to work with servers. I am familiar with networking concepts. Co-workers are great colleagues – more... with particular set of skills. I always respectful and willing teach others. – less
Referring families to counseling
Child's Advocate (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 22, 2013
Pros: helping families build security
Referring families
Creating caseloads
Assisting with mentoring families
productive work enviornment
Internship (Former Employee), Bronx, NYOctober 16, 2013
Pros: learn alot of technical, painting and design/decorating skills.
Cons: good work enviornment.
I would be very flexible at this job any tasks they needed I could manage it. I learned a lot of technical skills here: Set-up props for shows, helped paint/ design stage sets, learned a bit of lighting for stage shows, managed box office (tickets/cash), provided safe travel for pedestrians, designed costumes for shows/other, learned a bit of make-up – more... for actors, I took a management course for (business), I learned more about acting and later took a course (acting 101), I loved setting the stage before the shows and helping out in general. the hardest part was going to school, working helping my sisters with four kids, being on a tennis team and having to take care of the dog while still making time for my hobbies and maintain good grades. the most enjoyable part was being in school At Lehman College CUNY; taking classes there, working there and being on a team there and that made me more then happy. The co-workers were cool and collective, ready to teach/learn and everyone was patient. I learned a lot at this job but it was temporary just so I could help out at home. – less
Small
Assistant Secretary (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYOctober 8, 2013
Small Office. Great Co-workers. They usually hire within and are on a small budget.
Good communication between staff
Editorial Liaison (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 29, 2013
Pros: telecommuting
Cons: not enough projects
I enjoyed becoming part of the John Jay College community as a freelancer. However, the ability to process paper work was slow and took far longer than anticipated. The lack of projects was also slightly disappointing.

However, to have the opportunity to work alongside the director of the programs was amazing. I learned a lot about myself on that project.
Educational Environment
Certified Tutor (Current Employee), Bronx, NYAugust 1, 2013
I enjoyed helping others to succeed. A typical day would involve reviewing ACT (Reading Comprehension) skills or an ACT passage with students. I learnt how handle students of different caliber.
Fast paced environment
Call Center Representative (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 9, 2013
Pros: good training
Cons: lack of support from management
This fast paced work environments demands your full attention in every aspect. This position is designed for the detail oriented, quick learners, and patient people. The staff is very helpful. Training in different aspects ensure you are capable to perform each task adequately.
Well
Office Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 28, 2013
Pros: work location
Cons: poor management
Cuny was a work experience I will always remember. Co-workers were a delight to work with. Job duties consisted of switchboard operation, updating and maintaining files and much more.
Waste of My Time
Online Service Developer (Former Employee), John Jay CollegeJune 18, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, a chance to pursue other projects
Cons: no chance to use my skills
I was hired to write copy for a website and other materials for a new division at John Jay College. I thought it'd be an opportunity to utilize my experience as a marketer - boy, was I wrong. Many people in my department were well-utilized and stayed busy, whereas I had so few responsibilities that I actually created tasks for myself, both to justify – more... my hours and to find a way to be utilized as a marketing professional. No luck - in fact, some of the things I helped create are now in someone else's hands. It offered a steady paycheck and a chance to do contract work for other departments, but I think my time would have been better spent elsewhere. – less
A learning environment with good mentors who help you understand and progress.
LSAMP Scholar Research Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 17, 2013
A typical day at work start at 8am where I would arrive to the lab early to prepare for an experiment after which I would attend class . I would return at 10:30 to finish setting up apparatus or prepare cultures to be used in the experiment later in the day . At 3pm I would start the experiment and finish around 7pm.
Many Positions
Entry Level Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), New YorkMay 28, 2013
Pros: opportunities
Cons: i didnt learn anything
I really did not work to long I was a work study student. I just filed a lot so I did not learn to much from that office I was located in.
GREAT PLEACE TO WORK
Campus Peace Officer (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 16, 2013
GREAT PLEACE TO WORK AT, LEARNED AND RECEIVE MY LICENCE AS A NYS EMT. CO-WORKERS ARE GREAT, MY MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF MY JOB AND RECEIVE A THANK YOU FOR MY WORK WITH THE COMMURITY.