CUNY Employee Reviews

its a good after school oppotunity
Reference Student Librarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2017
god after school or between hours opportunity. I worked here for not even a year and became very sociable with many people. its good for anyone without a job.
great
Student/office assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2016
Working for this company gave me great experience in customer support and office work. Had a very friendly team of coworkers who made me feel like family
review
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 12, 2016
CUNY was an excellent place to work. It was a friendly environment. The staff were all respectful, kind, and helpful to each other.
Math Tutor
Teaching Assistant/College Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 29, 2016
It was a lovely place for learning and teaching, and gained respect from students. Supervisors were very nice, always held thanksgiving party for all staff.
Pros
helped the others and refreshed my knowlege at the same time
Cons
Very crowded
Cuny work study
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2016
I worked in the CUNY SEEK department as part of my school's work study program in order to pay for my classes and books. It was enjoyable and gave me additional experience working with the public.
Getting Through The Day
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 15, 2016
In theory, CUNY is a good place to work.However the demands of the job supersede the compensation provided. My colleagues are helpful. The commute is awful.
Overall Good Place to work
CUNY Tech Prep (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2016
Wonderful people and greate place to work. Recommended to all cuny students to work there. You can meet various people throughout the entire CUNY system.
Pros
Big Organization
Cons
Hard to get in
productive, fast pace environment
CUNY office assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2016
performed numerous transfer evaluations for transfer students using the BOSS and TES System
Assisted students with undergraduate admissions and transfer related issues
Met with students to discuss their evaluations
professional work atmosphere
hundreds of transfer caseloads per semester in addition to the case files from the previous semester that need to to be evaluated and updated
great co-workers, understanding boss.
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJuly 2, 2016
go in, do the job, leave at end of shift.

best part: possibility of studying while working.

hardest part: when classes canceled but school not closed, still expected to go to work.
Pros
in familiar setting. had classes there. possible to work between classes.
College Assistant-Tutor (Statistics) CUNY (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2016
Best place to work, professional development guaranty, Fun environment, flexible and prosperous. Working in that place made me a better person in terms of learning and capacity building
Great place to learn
Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2016
relocated assets for 23 colleges
reconciled cash and bank statement
collected data, coded computer entries
prepared quarterly and annual reconciliations
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
part time job
Nice productive area
CUNY Black Male Initiative (BMI) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2016
Its a typical day at work but has you own your toes literally, don't sit and help students with there technical issues. the co-workers are nice though.
Exceptional experience
Professor of Sociolinguistics (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 20, 2016
CUNY campuses have been nationally recognized as culturally diverse institutions of higher learning that foster a profound appreciation for different cultures, languages and world perspectives.
Best internship ever!
Volunteer at the Peter McGuinness Senior Center (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 22, 2015
The people at the Pete McGuinness were very understanding and friendly. They worked with me and made me feel comfortable with them.
All "CONS"
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2015
College Assistant typical work life is like working as hotel doormat.

Management is a joke! They don't care about you. All they care about when is their next paycheck!

Co-workers/students are a joke, they are smart in their academics but lazy as F$#K! You can literally not show up for work and get still get pay, and not get fired.

Most enjoyable part of the job is leaving end of the day!
Pros
Cons
Union fees, No raises, No Holiday Pay, No Vacation Pay, No Overtime Pay, Very Short Lunch Breaks, Make up hours for days you missed, Management is JOKE!
Productive and fun workplace with great co-workers
College Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYOctober 4, 2015
I was able to create my school schedule around my working hours without a problem. My supervisor was willing to work with me in order to complete my BA degree. He is also pushing for me to finish my Masters as well since I have access to the college resources still as a staff member.
Flexible hours
Program Coordinator / The Research Foundation (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was utilizing the human services skills learned during my classroom instruction. I enjoyed interacting with the students during seminars.
Working with CUNY
Senior Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 28, 2015
I have been with this company for 25 years and I enjoy working with them. I love my job. The benefits are great but the salary is not.
Okay
Student Call Taker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2015
The job was okay. You have to deal with people that are crazy and rude on the phone. Management cares about how quick you can end the call. Doesn't feel like people are actually being helped.
Highly professional Adultn Education Program
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 15, 2015
Grant-funded Adult Education Program providing free ESL and HSE classes to immigrants and low income newyorkers in a friendly environment with all the necessary classroom and technological facilities.
Cons
45 minutes break for 5 or 6 hours classes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CUNY. Our community is ready to answer.