Director, Business Development
Curis is seeking a Director of Business Development responsible for leading strategic business development initiatives. The position reports to the Chief Financial and Business Officer. The individual will be expected to work closely with the other members of the executive management and the broader Curis team involved in transaction evaluation, diligence and execution. In this role, the candidate will take ownership of key business initiatives and develop both in- and out-licensing objectives and programs consistent with Curis’s corporate strategy; source deal opportunities; lead multifunctional teams to handle due diligence; engage in complex contract negotiations; work productively with legal counsel, and deliver presentations for research and product-based collaborations.
The individual will source and evaluate potential business opportunities by performing discounted cash flow/NPV analysis, evaluating market comparables, deal requirements, technical and financial risks, strategic value and attributes of prospective collaborators. The individual must be comfortable with advancing multiple projects concurrently, assessing strategic options and making clear recommendations to senior management and the Board of Directors. We expect that in this role the candidate will continually update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and conferences, reading professional publications and maintaining professional networks. In addition, the individual will support research and development activities by negotiating and closing significant contracts related to R&D operations.
This individual will also participate in corporate intelligence and corporate communications related to Curis’ research and development programs.
Desired Skills & Experience
- 5 or more years in business/corporate development and transactions, with multiple demonstrated successful collaborations at a biotech, pharmaceutical or related healthcare company
- Education: Although personal leadership characteristics and track record are the most critical components, a scientific or medical educational background and/or business education will be viewed as favorable educational backgrounds. Advanced degree(s) preferred (Ph.D., MBA, MD).
- Advanced knowledge of the biotech and/or healthcare industries, particularly the deal environment
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally - 20-30%
- Track record of participation in negotiating and closing transactions: The ideal candidate has demonstrated the ability to problem solve creatively with partner companies to close deals that create a win-win relationship for both parties.
Personal Skills & Competencies:
- An ownership and results-oriented, “whatever it takes” mentality
- Strong judgment and decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; true team player
- Superior project leadership skills and a demonstrated ability to lead multi-functional teams to produce high quality decisions
- An outstanding ability to sell and influence at a variety of professional levels
- Self-motivated with the ability to work in an unstructured environment
- Clear verbal, written and presentation communication skills
- Highly refined analytical skills with experience building, evaluating and clearly presenting complex quantitative business models
- Proven negotiation, closing and follow-up skills
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple complex projects efficiently
- Ability to build and maintain an extensive network of contacts within potential partner companies
- A strong understanding of the drug development and commercialization process
Curis, Inc. (the “Company” or “Curis”) is an oncology-focused company seeking to develop and commercialize next generation targeted small molecule drug candidates for cancer treatment. Curis conducts research and development programs both internally and through strategic collaborations. Erivedge® is the first and only approved medicine for the treatment of advanced basal cell carcinoma, and is being commercialized by Roche and Genentech under a collaboration agreement between Curis and Genentech. Curis is also leveraging its experience in targeting signaling pathways to develop clinical-stage targeted cancer programs CUDC-427 and a small molecule IAP inhibitor and CUDC-907, a dual PI3K and HDAC inhibitor. Curis licensee Debiopharm is progressing the clinical development of HSP90 inhibitor, Debio 0932.
For more information, please visit our website, at www.curis.com.
Please send resume with job code (BD800) to:
No phone calls please.