Set up and operate a variety of machine tools to produce precision metal components. May also include maintaining industrial machines and applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, layouts, control plans, and machining procedures.
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and calipers.
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials onto machines.
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
- Machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as multi-spindle lathes.
- Set up, adjust, and use all of the basic machine tools and many specialized or advanced variation of tools to perform precision machining operations.
- Measure, examine, and test completed components to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments such as gauges.
- Maintain appropriate industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
- Observe and listen to operating machines or equipment to diagnose machine malfunctions and to determine need for adjustments or repairs.
- Check machines to ensure that they are properly lubricated and cooled.
- Confer with engineering, supervisory, and manufacturing personnel to exchange technical information.
- Operate equipment to verify operational efficiency.
- Clean and lubricate machines, tools, and equipment to remove grease, rust, chips, stains, and foreign matter.
- Design fixtures, tooling, and experimental parts to meet special engineering needs.
- Evaluate experimental procedures, and recommend changes or modifications for improved efficiency and adaptability to setup and production.
- Establish work procedures for fabricating new structural products, using a variety of metalworking machines.
- Fit and assemble parts to make or repair machine tools.
- Dismantle machines or equipment, using hand tools and power tools, to examine parts for defects and replace defective parts where needed.
- Support metalworking projects from planning and fabrication through assembly, inspection, and testing, using knowledge of machine functions, metal properties and mathematics.
- Responsible for keeping and sustaining a clean, orderly, and safe work area per the 5S guidelines.